Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
So I admit yosemite is growing on me (Although I'm going to use earlier OSX versions as VMs), but they still are using the ugly trash can icon!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Eh... it doesn't bother me at all. Though its too bad we can't really use CandyBar to change things like we used to be able to.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Replace it yourself.

Why don't you replace it yourself if you hate it so much...?

Jesus I swear so many complaints on here are straight up moronic. The next time someone complains about an icon............

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think it looks way better than the old one.

----------

What happened to CandyBar?

Basically after 10.7 it wasn't as functional as it used to be, because Apple changed things.

http://www.panic.com/blog/candybar-mountain-lion-and-beyond

Updated for 10.8.
First, we’ve updated CandyBar for Mac OS X 10.8! You can now customize the 10.8 system icons. Just launch the app and click the big “Update” button to get the latest IconData.
But there’s a catch, or two: in Mountain Lion, Apple changed how the Dock is rendered, so it’s no longer possible to customize the Dock’s look. (You can still customize the indicator lights!) Also, CandyBar still can’t change the internal icons of Mac App Store apps, due to code signing.
CandyBar, although simply changing files on disk, has always fallen into a slightly-uncomfortable-for-us grey area of existence. It seems clear to us that there will undoubtedly come a time (soon?) when CandyBar can no longer customize system icons at all. So, what do we do?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say that's one of the icons that changed that I'm disappointed with. The Finder and the trash can are both icons that I think Apple largely whiffed on.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Why don't you replace it yourself if you hate it so much...?

Jesus I swear so many complaints on here are straight up moronic. The next time someone complains about an icon............
Agreed. The level complaints here about nothing are bordering on the psychotic. It's insane how poorly people deal with change, doesn't matter how small.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Come on guys, replace the awful trash can!

Eh... it doesn't bother me at all. Though its too bad we can't really use CandyBar to change things like we used to be able to.

Hey were you using CandyBar to change the dock icons before installing Yosemite? I just want to know if after installing 10.10 all icons changed to the new Yosemite icons with no issues.

Thats horrible...

Haha. Agreed!

----------

CB Has been broken since 10.8. So not much of a loss. Also, there is Liteicon.

Yes, that's why it's now free and unsupported. LiteIcon is a great alternative.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I don't understand the hate for the Trash Can and Finder icons. There are many icons in Yosemite that are worse:
- Safari
- Reminders
- Calendar (ugh!)
- Notes
- Half of the icons in System Preferences

Granted, a lot of the icons that are terrible are just reincarnations of the unholy blunders that were the original iOS 7 icons (created by Apple's web and print department - great delegation Jony!)

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I don't understand the hate for the Trash Can and Finder icons. There are many icons in Yosemite that are worse:
- Safari
- Reminders
- Calendar (ugh!)
- Notes
- Half of the icons in System Preferences

Granted, a lot of the icons that are terrible are just reincarnations of the unholy blunders that were the original iOS 7 icons (created by Apple's web and print department - great delegation Jony!)

The Jony didn't design these icons. He has a team of designers that make icons and make design choices but he has some say (possibly final say) because he's the boss, thats it. I asked my dad (53) and he was largely pleased with Yosemite's icons after complaining about iOS 7 on the first few days he couldn't find his apps.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hey were you using CandyBar to change the dock icons before installing Yosemite? I just want to know if after installing 10.10 all icons changed to the new Yosemite icons with no issues.

Well, yes and no. ;)

I haven't used Candybar since I was on Snow Leopard. After Lion, I think, is when Apple locked the Dock down to where it couldn't be modified. At that point, I gave up customizing most things on my Mac's.

However, I still use it on my PowerMac G5, with Leopard, and have it themed with Star Trek.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Come on guys, replace the awful trash can!

Well, yes and no. ;)

I haven't used Candybar since I was on Snow Leopard. After Lion, I think, is when Apple locked the Dock down to where it couldn't be modified. At that point, I gave up customizing most things on my Mac's.

Ah ok but do you know if there would be any issues replacing the customized icons with Yosemite's?

However, I still use it on my PowerMac G5, with Leopard, and have it themed with Star Trek.

Ooh that's so cool! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.