Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
What about the Apps?

As it is .....iPhone Apps are 1/2 the size on the current iPad.

iphone-on-ipad.png

appletabletb317_01.jpg

It kinda sucks.

What happens now that it's quadrupled ?

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
In that link, the LCD weight is listed as 400 grams, the ipad 2 lcd screen only 145 grams. I am assuming these replacements weigh more, or its including some packing weight.

If it really was 400 grams for just the LCD, wow the iPad 3 weight would be above the first iPad, the entire iPad 2 was only 600 grams.

Good catch, and that would mean the iPad 3 wouldn't be in many users hands at that weight. The biggest issue I had with the iPad 1 was that it was too heavy. The iPad 2 brought that weight down a good deal and I got one. Pushing it up past the iPad 1 would be a deal breaker.

Kris400

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Apple is NOT going to like this - actually revealing their *big* show-stopping surprise.

I predict this post will be taken down VERY soon…!

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Makes me laugh how some people on here still doubt the retina display, there is WAY too much evidence now. The iPad 3 will have a retina display, period.

I just want to say that I don't "doubt" it, but calling it "Confirmed" until Apple confirms it is a bit disingenuous. All this article "confirms" is that such a display exists, not that it will be in the iPad 3.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
It's a bit worrying for Apple that such evidence is in a rumour site's possession. Clearly their suppliers cannot be trusted if components go out into the wild before any announcements are made. Apple has to make a renewed effort to stop leaks such as this because it sabotages their product announcements and gives competitors a heads up about their upcoming products. I would not put it past Samsung or SONY to pre-empt the next iPad reveal by announcing a tablet with the same resolution, even if it does not make it to the market until after the next iPad.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
It's a bit worrying for Apple that such evidence is in a rumour site's possession. Clearly their suppliers cannot be trusted if components go out into the wild before any announcements are made. Apple has to make a renewed effort to stop leaks such as this because it sabotages their product announcements and gives competitors a heads up about their upcoming products. I would not put it past Samsung or SONY to pre-empt the next iPad reveal by announcing a tablet with the same resolution, even if it does not make it to the market until after the next iPad.

Yeah but there's just no way they can keep MILLIONS of parts from leaking. I think they know that, too. It's a lot easier for them to keep software surprises a secret at this point.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Good catch, and that would mean the iPad 3 wouldn't be in many users hands at that weight. The biggest issue I had with the iPad 1 was that it was too heavy. The iPad 2 brought that weight down a good deal and I got one. Pushing it up past the iPad 1 would be a deal breaker.

I find iPad 2 still heavy... iPad 3 won't be good for reading this way...

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Sorry that I like to make money. If you want one, order early.

Its not so much "making money" as "being a douche" or "taking advantage". But I am sure there are some people out there who think you are in the right...I mean, someone out there has got to run ticketmaster.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Then it's not quite a "Retina" display. Typical human eyes can see to the point of roughly 300 PPI. I bet you'll still be able to see pixels with the human eye.

not true. 300ppi was roughly accurate for the iphone 4, that does not mean 300ppi is the threshold for every device. The limit is resolution the retina can distinguish is in direct proportion to the distance the image is from the retina. Therefore, a 40 inches screen that you generally watch 6 feet away will require far less PPI than a phone screen that you watch 14 inches away.
Most people would hold a tablet a bit further than a phone for a comfortable view, thefore the PPI limit for a tablet should be lower for a tablet than a phone.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Would be kind of lol worthy of this and the iPad 3 backcase were fakes put out by apple to throw everyone off. Don't get me wrong I want a retina display iPad but still would be funny

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Developers, there have been rumors of a Retina Display long enough. Update your apps!!!

I'm working on it for my games. I hope that the 3G download limit will increase from 20 MB to allow room for the higher res graphics.

gonnabuyit

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Cowu Cowu... Holy Cowu... I want to buy, nowu!

Pictures and videos on that screen will look so gorgeous.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010

I agree, it at least has to be the same weight, so this can't be the weight of the LCD in the production run. This LCD is likely a cheaper knock off, or rejected, even the price seem off.

I really think the iPad 3 will be lighter...
If they use gorilla glass 2 which is certainly thinner/lighter/stronger, and the new battery has also been rumored to be thinner/lighter. I would guess the iPad 3 will be around 530 grams, which will be amazing considering all the upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.