Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Too bad you didn't give any examples. Virtually everyone would agree (that actually has and uses an iPhone on a daily basis) would agree this is a non issue. Peoples phone kept working after that last consumer report, and will continue to do so. Consumer reports in the comedy shop this time.

Even if it was an issue the majority of iPhone users wouldn't care. I know people that would rave about it even if it didn't work at all.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
So Consumer Reports runs tests and finds the iPhone to not be the greatest phone and all you guys jump on them and bash them..Yea, you're not fanboys.

Actually they said it is the greatest phone and they would not recommend it. Just like they did before..

It is the #1 selling phone (smart or dumb) in the world. I believe it also has the highest customer satisfaction rating.

I wonder if maybe consumer reports is overblowing the issue (again).

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
In other words, CR writers were thinking this:

"How can we make headlines again?"

agreed. exactly.

I think their initial review was good to have even though it seems in practice not to be the deal breaking issue they made it out to be BUT this update is so obviously an attempt to grab the spotlight again.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
The funny thing is that i have a Droid Incredible and if you hold the phone just right it will drop its signal as well. So much for CR being a credible source; i lost the little bit of respect i had for them when they were still ranking Toyota's higher than other brands when the pedal fiasco was happening.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Ready for some Raige?

These old morons have nothing better to do with their lives (kinda like me hanging out in the forums). My phone runs PERFECT! I haven't gone below 4 bars yet. Can't recommend the phone? Idiots. The most powerful phone on the planet and you can't "recommend" it because when you hold it like an idiot it loses signal.

The iPhone is the best purchase I have ever made. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE PHONE! I wanna smack this old goon!

Nothing better to do with their lives? You mean their JOBS? How does holding a phone like people have been holding phones for years mean your holding it like an idiot?

I love my phone (after I put a case on it, which I'd always planned to do) but denying the design doesn't have issues is just sticking your head in the sand. I got my phone before the release and the minute I started using it it **** the bed on calls and I live in a strong signal area. It did this every time I made a call or received one.

I'm glad I switched up my 3G for the iPhone 4 (ATT mind you). Best phone I've had so far but CR is not making up the signal issue.

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
apple should fix this, such a design glitch is unacceptable. no one should need to hold a phone in a special way to have it work properly.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
apple should fix this, such a design glitch is unacceptable. no one should need to hold a phone in a special way to have it work properly.

I still find it ridiculous that apple still hasnt fixed it for verizon's release? Still believe its a software issue steve?! throwing dust in our eyes and *****

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I've owned a variety of makes and models and phones (including my lovely iPhone4) and ALL have had signalling issues if held in a specific way. The iPhone 4 problem appears to be more pronounced because it's more widely available. I find it odd that a more recognised problem with Windows 7, for example, is lesser news.

Jul 29, 2008
Know what? Nobody - absolutely NObody - who is considering an iPhone will make their decision based on Consumer Reports.

Bet that bothers them, too.

Strongfist36

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Consumer Reports has been a dieing company for some time now. The only time anyone hears about them at all is when it involved "iPhone", "antenna" and a phone carrier. It's all publicity.

Apple has already addressed this. We need to stop enabling the media about a problem that does not even exists!

Here is my proof that the iPhone 4 antenna issue isn't an issue; goo.gl/KfKsv

Strongfist36

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
I've owned a variety of makes and models and phones (including my lovely iPhone4) and ALL have had signalling issues if held in a specific way. The iPhone 4 problem appears to be more pronounced because it's more widely available. I find it odd that a more recognised problem with Windows 7, for example, is lesser news.

Thats not really the case. The iPhone issue is ten times easier to happen as it is possible with one finger

Jazser

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Just usa?

This problem with the antenna, seems to have only occurred in the USA? Here in Australia we certainly have read about the issue, but experienced it .. Well no!

gladrob

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
Consumer Reports is corrupt/incompetent

I'm sorry but I "can not recommend" Consumer Reports.

A couple years ago I decided to cancel my subscription and it took over a year for them to do it. They continually attempted to charge me, over and over and over. At some point it became obvious to me that they were just trying to get me to click the 'wrong' button so they could collect some more money. Soooooo, my opinion is that they are being paid in some way, clicks, attention or from another phone manufacturer to make a 'not recommend' for the most powerful smart phone on the market. Follow CR at your own risk.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I love my iphone 4...but im glad Consumer Reports isnt swallowing the Apple hype!

Apple hype?

In other words, CR writers were thinking this:

"How can we make headlines again?"

Same phone, same problem. What a surprise!

This is nothing more than a headline grab by consumer reports. They garnered a lot of publicity bashing the iPhone 4, as did Gizmodo.

What IS their problem?

I have the Verizon iPhone 4. Consumer Reports is right about the antenna. I love the phone except this one issue. It's just about a deal-breaker & it still annoys me.

I feel like I made a lateral move. I got off of AT&T's network to get decent reception. I got onto a better, more reliable network in Verizon, except now, the phone is the problem. :eek:

Did you really expect the phone to behave differently because they are being sold / licensed under Verizon instead of At&T only?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Apple has already addressed this. We need to stop enabling the media about a problem that does not even exists!

No they haven't, this problem should have been a recall...but apple refuses to do recalls. Instead they try to take shortcuts with offering cheap 50 cent bumpers and firmware updates to "fix" issues.

The same antenna issue is still on the Verizon phone is flat out ridiculous and shouldn't happen. Since apple is so arrogant they just release it anyway because the guilable people just buy into the apple hype.

This antenna issue shouldn't exist period, and no it does not exist on all phones. The 7 or so phones I've had in the past 10 years have not exhibited these problems. Apple isn't a exception. They should fix it.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
And on the next page they probably reviewed toaster ovens, toilet plungers and feminine hygiene products....which they might actually have someone qualified to review.

Steve

Is it the same person for all three?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Somebody dares point the obvious that apple (as usual) didnt do anything to remedy a problem and every fanboy starts whining .

They tested it (as did others) its reality get over it that your "magical" iphone isnt perfect. Its still one of the best phones out there so get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.