Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Slight quibble.

Formerly influential. CR has made a joke of itself over the last year.

Last *year*?

Thirty years ago, they published an article comparing professional 35mm camera systems, specifically Nikon F with Canon F1/FD series.

Their final judgement being that Canon didn't make the cut as a professional system choice, since Nikon had one more fisheye lens in its lineup. Seriously.

Similar "analysis" of technical issues abound.

They're (usually) OK comparing different brands of mayonnaise, but anything more technical and they're getting in over their heads.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Yes, because everyone's houses are made of 5" thick metallic alloy walls with a deadlocked door.
Maybe. :D On a serious note, i was just pointing out that there are a lot of factors involved and overlooking some (especially obvious ones) can change the results dramatically.

Maybe Apple could have done better testing and even improved things with some aspects (re-positioning the highest attenuation area), but certain attributes are beyond their (and other company's) control; at least for now.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Why is anybody surprised? It is (more or less) the same phone - the antenna design didn't really change, only some internas changed ... why should it behave different? The problem was known half a year ago and it does not magically disappear just because of a carrier change.

Some with week signal can reproduce it on the AT&T phone, those will also be able to reproduce it on the Verizon phone. No big surprise here, that the same phone on the different carries can show the same problem. I am lucky and can't reproduce it on mine where I life and my friend with the Verizon phone can't reproduce it either - but we have good signals to start with.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Except Verizon isn't a better network as it uses CDMA, you do know that CDMA is old technology and the rest of the world is using GSM for obvious reasons...

I've had much better reception with several phones in more areas with Verizon compared to several years service from AT&T (Cingular).

Older does not always mean "worse", sorry.

ukyo51

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Why bash consumer reports?

I have the Verizon iPhone 4. Consumer Reports is right about the antenna. I love the phone except this one issue. It's just about a deal-breaker & it still annoys me.

I noticed this problem almost immediately when I got my verizon iphone. If I hold my phone in my left hand it gets a very bad signal. I did the same test as consumer reports and verified that touching that gap at the bottom left causes it. If I hold the phone in my left hand at my ear or in front of me (to use my right index finger on the screen) I hit this spot every time.

I totally agree with Consumer Reports calling them out on this issue - even for a 2nd time on verizon, considering many (myself included) assumed Apple would fix this in the CDMA model.

It's somewhat easy to avoid once you know it exists, so it's not a deal killer for me. But I got to see the gravity of the problem when my wife kept breaking up trying to talk to her on the phone. She was running all over the house "trying to get a better signal" until I told her to put the phone in her right hand. Instant clear reception. How many wives and moms (..and husbands and dads) are going to bang their heads on this glaring problem with no idea what's causing it?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Regardless of how I feel about CDMA technology, this smacks of Consumer Reports trying to remain relevant.

In today's internet driven world, companies like Consumer Reports are becoming less relevant as time goes by.

They cannot keep on changing their mind on products like this. First they recommended it and then they created artificial tests so that they could get yet more attention by not recommending it.

If they are going to not recommend the iPhone then they should not recommend any of the other phones that have similar issues either or they are being hypocrites and liars.

They claim to not be able to create similar issues with other phones despite there being ample examples of other phones both on GSM and CDMA networks having the same attenuation phenomenon. Since they are unable to do the same that leads me to believe that they are either dishonest or incompetent.

If you have a weak signal then you have a weak signal and you are likely to have either trouble making a call or even have a dropped call regardless of the phone that you use.

Last edited:

oneijose

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
Brooklyn NY
I was waiting for the VZW Iphone for ever and now that I have it, I can honestly say I haven't had a problem yet. But then again I had that horrible BB drizzle (storm) and that was a POS!!:D

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Agreed.

Do I think that everything adds up to a "cannon recommend" ? Probably not. Only thing is - I'm going by MY criteria. Not CR's. If CR has a set list of criteria from which they can either call it a buy or not a buy, then to keep their integrity, they have to publish according to that criteria.

Should they revise their criteria? Perhaps. But if the criteria keeps getting shuffled around - then what good is having it to begin with.

IE (bad BAD analogy) I can say that I will only date non-blondes. Make it a rule. An edict. And then if a hot blonde comes up to me and asks me out - and I refuse - my buddies can call me an idiot - but at the same time, I have maintained my integrity. Have I lost something by not giving the blonde a shot - perhaps. If I suddenly start saying - ok - I'll date a blonde but only if her hair is darker than X and keep moving that around - then I'm not really having criteria nor am I having much integrity.

Again - bad analogy.. but...
Hmm... I think most any disagreement we have here comes down to our individual interpretations of their consistency. I haven't seen as much as I would like, and their handling of certain media-inducing subjects certainly hasn't been consistent with their handling of pretty much everything else.

You're welcome to elaborate on your later analogy if you like. It makes sense independently (i.e. not experiencing non-blondes) but I'm not sure how it ties in with Consumerist's actions and policy.

And how did they treat apple different?

As for fanboyism, I dont think so, as before the article glorifies the iphone for the rest.
In this case I would suggest their handling of Apple is different not in that they like or dislike the company, or feel compelled to promote or trash the company in review, but rather that their bias is one common to news/media agencies. Apple is high profile and consumers respond dramatically to debates related to this subject (phone providers and phone operating systems). News and media companies are aware of these circumstances, and that stepping on toes can generate huge publicity, page views, and exposure. In the context of Apple this tends to manifest in one of two ways: 1) excessive coverage of all things Apple, 2) overblown coverage of an Apple criticism or rumor (if not outright fabrication of such a thing).

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
It is bad and affects a lot of people, I've had my phone changed 3 times all with the same issue, about 20 other people I know who have iPhone 4s have this problem.

You will get a lot of fanboys here defending apple saying nothing is wrong with the phone and don't hold it that way, but the truth is, this problem exists in a lot of iPhone 4s if not all of them.

Just because a person is not having problems, does not mean they are a fan boy. I know several people with iP4s (I don't have one myself) and have asked if dropped calls is a problem and specifically asked about problems with holding the phone a certain way, they have all said no, about 9 folks. I have not found one person that has had a problem, all with ATT, though. This, of course, is not a scientific pole, but I think CR is exaggerating the issue.

Actually, I think it's funny that all iPhone users you know have problems, and all users I know do not. I live in Houston. Where do you live? It could just be the carrier. I used to have an "dumb" phone with ATT and it would drop calls even with full bars showing, standing still, consistently after about 15 minutes.

I like what others have said, compare signal strength and voice quality to the 3GS or compare it to other phones in the same situation. Show me some useful data.

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
CR is a joke! They never even list Mac Pros in the desk top computer lineups.

So true! People generally respect CR, until they read of review of products they have knowledge of. If you know something of that product line, its often easy to poke holes in the CR methods. For me, it was cameras. Others have said the kitchen knife review was flawed.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I never have dropped calls, but then I don't hold my iPhone4 I use a bluetooth headset that connects between my iPhone4 and older iPhone I jail broke to use with my works T-Mobile service. :)

I wished all the other drivers would also use a headset while driving for other reasons. Oh yes and those who like to walk aimlessly across a busy street blind to oncoming traffic or crossing signals. :rolleyes:

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I thought this was the most interesting part of the source article:

"Our regular tests confirmed, among other findings, that the new Verizon phone performs differently from the AT&T one in voice quality. With the Verizon version, calls placed to other phones sounded better than they did from the AT&T phone. For calls received, however, the AT&T phone had an edge in quality."

Odd that there was a difference in quality comparison depending on whether the call was initiated or received.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
If you use a bumper you shouldn't have this problem. So although highly rated we can't recommend

This is ridiculous, just get a bumper. That was one of the worst recommendations I ever heard.

As a side note I bought my first iphone the other day from AT&T, the 3GS because I didn't need the new stuff and wanted to save. It is the best gadget I ever had and I bought a bumper on ebay for only $3.25 shipped. I didn't eve need the bumper but just wanted one. I can't imagine anyone not getting an iPhone because they don't want a bumber

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Probably already said, but — CR HAS to say something. Not saying the same exact thing would be some sort of admission that they were too hard (wrong) on Apple last year.

Obviously, there is some sort of truth there — there is attenuation with most phones. Just hold it slightly different OR get a case or bumper. And quit being a big b!+¢h!

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Regardless of how I feel about CDMA technology, this smacks of Consumer Reports trying to remain relevant.

In today's internet driven world, companies like Consumer Reports are becoming less relevant as time goes by.

They cannot keep on changing their mind on products like this. First they recommended it and then they created artificial tests so that they could get yet more attention by not recommending it.

If they are going to not recommend the iPhone then they should not recommend any of the other phones that have similar issues either or they are being hypocrites and liars.

They claim to not be able to create similar issues with other phones despite there being ample examples of other phones both on GSM and CDMA networks having the same attenuation phenomenon. Since they are unable to do the same that leads me to believe that they are either dishonest or incompetent.

If you have a weak signal then you have a weak signal and you are likely to have either trouble making a call or even have a dropped call regardless of the phone that you use.
I think you're missing the blindingly obvious here. The reason they can't recreate the issue on any other phone is because no other phone has the same issue. You're putting CR in an impossible position here by saying you won't believe what they say unless they name and shame all the other phones that have the same problem, yet there aren't any that do. Don't you think it might just be that the iPhone 4 really does have a problem and that's why no other phone is involved? You're really clutching at straws otherwise by suggesting that an ad-free, independent, subscription based reviews site are somehow biased. I think you and many others are just refusing to accept the obvious.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If CR had more common sense they'd recommend the iPhone based on its merits, with a footnote that they tested it with a case and this is the only way they recommend using it. Omitting it entirely is a disservice to the consumers they are supposed to be helping.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Only old-timers like me could appreciate this, but I haven't paid attention to CR since the year they told me to buy a Chevy Citation-- from experience, ONE OF THE WORST CARS EVER MADE! :p

Megagator

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
USA
Did Apple promise them something? I seem to remember Verizon saying "the same phone on the world's most reliable network". All networks drop calls. Just because it's the iPhone doesn't mean its invulnerable.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Glad your phone works for you. Just because you have no problems, doesn't mean everyone else is having no problems. If you touch the phone with one finger, and a computer shows the signal dropping, and the call dropping, then its REAL.

They're clearly doing something wrong when holding it like a re-re. Had they just held it like a normal human being there would be no issues. ;)

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Not sure why this puts a bee in so many of your bonnets...

CR isn't saying it's a bad phone, or even not to buy it. They're simply saying they can't recommend it (and no, they don;t have it in for everything Apple; in fact they rated it quite highly).

Bravo for them on calling Apple's official BS that it's the same issue every other phone has. Maybe it will spur Apple to make an even better iPhone 5. Why is that so bad?

bear1973

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Consumer Reports Must Be Wrong

....because it's criticizing an Apple product. They are just ridiculous, only speak to people over 60, have no business reviewing cell phones, are a joke. Apple can't be wrong. Apple is right. I love Apple and no one should criticize Apple. It's just wrong. How dare they.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.