Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If this ever gets down to $1500-ish with promos or a sale or cash back, etc..

I think I'll finally be all over it

Would love a 32" 6K that could easily work back and forth with macOS/Windows (which I do every day)

I also wish Dell would put out a version with no webcam/speakers to get the price down further, as well as facilitate multi monitor setups better (where speakers/camera become redundant and wasted)

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022

Would love a 32" 6K that could easily work back and forth with macOS/Windows (which I do every day)

I also wish Dell would put out a version with no webcam/speakers to get the price down further, as well as facilitate multi monitor setups better (where speakers/camera become redundant and wasted)
For sure. And I wish Apple would do the same with the ASD.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022

If the Dell would be in glossy than I would buy it for $2099, but if I imagined looking at this matte screen every day, I would regret the price I paid for it every day. Why can't Dell offer it in glossy :(

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
If the Dell would be in glossy than I would buy it for $2099, but if I imagined looking at this matte screen every day, I would regret the price I paid for it every day. Why can't Dell offer it in glossy :(
Normally the matte is fine, but on a nice sunny day with the blinds open it just looks bad to me. Other matte screens control reflections better… there’s no reflection in all fairness, but it washes out huge sections of the screen to the point that the whole thing looks bad. I have other matte monitors that do NOT do this.

Reactions: Dark-Signature

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Oh boy. Woke up this AM to notice a corner of my Dell 6K has become really dim. Attached image is at 100% brightness and non-HDR. Guess I'll reach out to Dell . . .

Edit/Update: Chatted with Dell. A fair number of (understandable) hoops to jump through and they are overnighting a replacement to me. Will be interesting to see if it's new or refurb, whether it works properly and whether they want the broken one back.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 5.45.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 5.45.48 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Oh boy. Woke up this AM to notice a corner of my Dell 6K has become really dim. Attached image is at 100% brightness and non-HDR. Guess I'll reach out to Dell . . .

Edit/Update: Chatted with Dell. A fair number of (understandable) hoops to jump through and they are overnighting a replacement to me. Will be interesting to see if it's new or refurb, whether it works properly and whether they want the broken one back.
Give us updates when the replacement comes.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Update: Dell has yet to ship the replacement display. In fact they cancelled the work order and didn't inform me. I checked the system, noticed it was canceled and reached out to restart the process. They are now reviewing the case again.

Seemed at first they were standing behind the product as they should. Becoming less clear if that is the case.

Edit: Received a ship notice. So they sent something. Will update again when the package arrives.

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Update: Received the replacement display via UPS today. Either really good refurb or a new unit, can't quite tell. Either way it works as expected.

Overall very good on Dell. They solved this in less than a week. A lot of hoops and the cancellation w/o notice was concerning. But in the end, they did right.

Let's hope the issue with the first one was isolated. Can't imagine what caused it.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
Update: Received the replacement display via UPS today. Either really good refurb or a new unit, can't quite tell. Either way it works as expected.

Overall very good on Dell. They solved this in less than a week. A lot of hoops and the cancellation w/o notice was concerning. But in the end, they did right.

Let's hope the issue with the first one was isolated. Can't imagine what caused it.
do they pickup the old one when the deliver the new one?

adman-c

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
FYI, any of us who bought this monitor during the black friday sale should check their account for "Dell Rewards" points. I had $180(!!) worth in my account, which I cashed in toward some new headphones. I think I got extra of these points for using Dell Pay when I placed my order, but I wasn't really paying attention. Dell sent me an email saying I had points expiring and I checked and was quite surprised to see that they were worth a decent amount.

adman-c

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023

Good that they didn't give you too hard a time, but I definitely hope that the quality issue is isolated--for what this monitor costs, that kind of quality issue shouldn't be widespread.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
They literally did not acknowledge my statements about it being an Apple product. They just continued explaining how to fix in for Windows. Weirdness.
Dell customer service work with playbooks the size of an old metropolitan phone book. They are only allowed to read what's there. Obviously the macOS part has not been added.

These bibles are probably now digital. I long time ago we sometimes hired people who started at Dell Tech Support, which is how I know about it.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Someone sent me a DM asking my thoughts regarding the monitor, and I figured that others may find them useful, so I'm repeating them here.

I have a Mac Mini M2 Pro and a MBA M1. However, I've never tried connecting the Air to the Dell -- it's been connected to the Mini 24/7.

I leave my Mini on all the time, as it's a Time Machine server for my Air and for my wife's MBP. I do let the display go to sleep though.

I connect the Mini via USB-C. I installed the Dell app, but nothing else (i.e., not BetterDisplay, etc.), although I don't really use the app for anything. I use the "5K color temperature" profile, which looks best to my eyes -- slightly warm. (The app was nice to cycle through the various preset color profiles without having to use the controls on the monitor, but once I found the profile I liked, I haven't used it.)

Have had no problems with the display itself. I run it at the recommendation HiDPI resolution ("looks like" 3072x1728). The display is always "found" when rebooting, and waking from display sleep is nearly instantaneous (my old Dell 5K monitor would take 10+ seconds sometimes, and sometimes the picture was messed up and I had to reboot the monitor). There's never been any issue in this respect, and that has been a godsend to me.

By comparison, I had issues with the Dell 5K, which connected via 2 DisplayPort cables. With my old Intel Mac I had to disconnect one of them when rebooting, and then connect the second cable back once I reached the login screen.

I am running Sonoma 14.2.1. My understanding is that Sonoma 14.3 enables HDR with the Dell over USB-C (whereas 14.2.1 and earlier only permit it over HDMI, which I haven't tried). HDR is not something I'd enable anyway, as I don't use the Mac for media consumption.

The display is anti-glare/matte, but it's a light touch and doesn't affect text quality -- it's not like the anti-glare/matte screens of yore that are awful. All things being equal, I would have preferred a glossy screen -- you do lose a wee bit of "pop" to the colors with the matte screen -- but it's not a super minor issue, and not worth spending more the 2x to get to the Apple Pro XDR Display. (The Dell 5K had a "light glossy" screen that I prefer, FWIW.)

The speakers are serviceable. They are nothing to write home about, but serve their purpose, and I'm glad that they're there. This was a dealbreaker for me with the Apple Pro XDR Display -- I didn't want to clutter my desktop with speakers, but still needed sound.

Someone else mentioned that sometimes the sound "takes a while to get going" for lack of a better phrase. I've noticed this, too. If no sound has been output for a while (say a couple of minutes), the next time sound is output, the first half second of sound may isn't audible. In effect, what this means is that sometimes the mail app "whoosh" sound may not be heard, or the paste sound in finder may not be heard. It's not all the time, and I can't discern a pattern as to why it happens sometimes but not others. And it's sufficiently intermittent. A minor annoyance to be aware of (though I don't know if everyone experiences it), but not a dealbreaker by any means.

The USB ports work. I connect my magic keyboard to the drop-down, front-facing USB-A port, and when needed charge my Logi mouse with the drop-down, front-facing USB-C port. I use one of the back USB ports (can't remember which) to connect my Logi webcam. I do not use any of the other ports (e.g., network port).

The webcam, to me, is awful. Full stop. Comparing it to my external Logi webcam, I don't like the brightness -- seems too washed out -- and sometimes the webcam would switch from HD to SD in Zoom and Teams, necessitating hard power-cycling the monitor to get it back. To be fair, I only played with this for maybe a couple of hours, but at the end of the day decided, I like my Logi webcam, so I decided to just use that.

I would love it if the webcam were detachable (or, better yet, if Dell offered a version of the display without a webcam). The aesthetics look silly to me having two webcams on the top of the monitor. But such is life.

I can control speaker volume through the Mac (including with the sound keys on the magic keyboard), which is a boon to me. I cannot control brightness with the keyboard keys, though (but can through the Dell app). That's not a big deal because I don't adjust brightness.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the monitor. It has great build quality. I don't have any issues with the display; the sound issue noted above is a very minor irritant; and the aesthetic of having a webcam that I don't use doesn't grate on me.

If the Apple Pro XDR Display had speakers, I probably would still spring for it, even though it's >2X cost once you add the stand. That said, the Dell gives you the same quality of panel to my eyes (but for its being matte and not glossy), with a price that is <50% of the cost.

The TL;DR is -- I would buy the Dell again in a heartbeat.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
A bit of help needed guys.......

The illuminated touch controls on the bottom left of the monitor have decided to stay on instead of only being on when I hover my hand in front. Any ideas how to turn them back to 'activate on hover' mode?
I've been through the OSD and manual and can't see any setting?

I really don't want to do a factory reset unless I have to......

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
A bit of help needed guys.......

The illuminated touch controls on the bottom left of the monitor have decided to stay on instead of only being on when I hover my hand in front. Any ideas how to turn them back to 'activate on hover' mode?
I've been through the OSD and manual and can't see any setting?

I really don't want to do a factory reset unless I have to......
Sorted it, it was caused by my old Intel Mini being linked in to the monitor in // whilst I was testing.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
The UI is not small though.

I run 4K UHD HiDPI on my Dell UP3218K with a Mac Studio (M2 Max) and I wouldn't have it any bigger at 32-inches. M2 Pro and higher can run it without issues but it does take up two of your TB4 ports.

8K UHD (7680x4320) at 32-inch with 279 PPI is just really nice and so sharp. Would I like a new version with 120Hz, oh yes...

The best replacement is probably going to be some 42-inch 8K OLED TV at some point though ...

@Pressure , can you share the available resolution list for the UP3218K?

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
The UP3218K drops below 3.000€. If it would be below 2.000€ it would be a must buy!
32“ & 8k & Glossy = perfect combination!

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
The resolutions on the UP3218K are a bit strange, particularly 3200x1800 and 3008x1692, which work out to 41.667% and 39.167% of the native resolution, respectively.

I would think that they'd have 3072x1728, which is 40%. This would further give the same resolution as the u3224kb.

I used to think that fractional scaling is bad, but I don't notice it at all with my MacBook Air, so I can't imagine I'd notice it with the UP3218K.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
I used to think that fractional scaling is bad, but I don't notice it at all with my MacBook Air, so I can't imagine I'd notice it with the UP3218K.
Fractional scaling requires more work from the GPU (about triple) so whether fractional scaling works for you or not, partly depends on the strength of your GPU and how much VRAM your computer has available to it. The M1-M3 CPUs share RAM with the GPU chip so if you have a lot of RAM it's not a big deal to do fractional scaling even on two hi-resolution monitors. Conversely if you are short of RAM or have one of the 7 or 8 core GPU, fractional scaling could work havoc on performance, leading to slow screen redraws and poor performance in media applications.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Fractional scaling requires more work from the GPU (about triple) so whether fractional scaling works for you or not, partly depends on the strength of your GPU and how much VRAM your computer has available to it. The M1-M3 CPUs share RAM with the GPU chip so if you have a lot of RAM it's not a big deal to do fractional scaling even on two hi-resolution monitors. Conversely if you are short of RAM or have one of the 7 or 8 core GPU, fractional scaling could work havoc on performance, leading to slow screen redraws and poor performance in media applications.
That doesn't seem to be true, at least for Apple Silicon macs. I'm using a Dell UP2720Q (4K) at home. Running in HiDPI mode with fractional scaling (from a virtual 5k 5120 × 2880 down to 2560 x 1440). Don't see any memory or CPU issue, even with fast screen refresh (Youtube 4K video, screen fresh tests).

But on my 2018 Intel Mac Mini, if I use the same HiDPI mode, macOS does indeed warn me about performance issue with fractional scaling. Even I ignore the warning, the display doesn't look as sharp and clear as when connected with AS based Macs (I have one 16" MBP Pro with M1 Pro and one 15" MBA with M2).

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The resolutions on the UP3218K are a bit strange, particularly 3200x1800 and 3008x1692, which work out to 41.667% and 39.167% of the native resolution, respectively.

I would think that they'd have 3072x1728, which is 40%. This would further give the same resolution as the u3224kb.

I don't think any MacBook Air models can drive 8K displays. Maybe I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.