Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
@tstafford, glad to hear 14.4.1 made progress for HDR over TB4.

Unfortunately, on my M2 Pro Mini with HDMI, 14.4.1 still requires that I downgrade to 30 Hz to get the HDR button to appear.

On the upside, when I enable HDR, I do now again see an obvious difference between HDR on and HDR off. That's some progress from what I was observing with 14.4.0, where toggling HDR on/off had zero visual effect. Not sure if anyone else had that problem.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Update: whatever is happening is unstable. When I checked this AM, I had again lost the HDR toggle and could only get it to reappear by switching down to 30 Hz. However after a reboot it is behaving "normally" again. I guess it's just buggy.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 5.24.36 AM.png

TMF93

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
Update: whatever is happening is unstable. When I checked this AM, I had again lost the HDR toggle and could only get it to reappear by switching down to 30 Hz. However after a reboot it is behaving "normally" again. I guess it's just buggy.

View attachment 2362718
I'm starting to get the feeling that whatever is happening regarding updates breaking and fixing HDR is simply coincidental to code work somewhere else...
As it currently stands, the graphics stack (on apple silicon) seems to seriously lack maturity and appears pretty fragile.
As an example, 14.2 introduced pretty big gpu performance issues for me that were not completely fixed until 14.4... (anything using the GPU was measurably slower, Google earth wouldn't render smoothly, etc...)

Given the fact that Apple has been churning out its own GPU silicon since 2017 and we are about 3,5 years into Apple silicon on desktop, I feel that the software should be better sorted than what it is now (based on empirical evidence).

Reactions: PhoenixDown

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm starting to get the feeling that whatever is happening regarding updates breaking and fixing HDR is simply coincidental to code work somewhere else...
As it currently stands, the graphics stack (on apple silicon) seems to seriously lack maturity and appears pretty fragile.
As an example, 14.2 introduced pretty big gpu performance issues for me that were not completely fixed until 14.4... (anything using the GPU was measurably slower, Google earth wouldn't render smoothly, etc...)

Given the fact that Apple has been churning out its own GPU silicon since 2017 and we are about 3,5 years into Apple silicon on desktop, I feel that the software should be better sorted than what it is now (based on empirical evidence).
Makes sense to me. I have a hard time believing anyone at Apple cares if I'm happy with a Dell monitor!!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm not sure the Venn diagram of people who own 6K displays and have a monitor light overlap at all but here goes:

I have this Xiaomi Monitor light on my Studio Display (with a tiny riser to stop it from covering the camera). Assuming I don't care about the Windows Hello/presence functionality, could that monitor light clip on to the top of the camera module? I reckon I'd have to give up the tilting if so, too.

Would someone be able to measure thickness at the top of the display? The user guide says it's 66mm which seems like too much. Thanks :)

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm not sure the Venn diagram of people who own 6K displays and have a monitor light overlap at all but here goes:

I have this Xiaomi Monitor light on my Studio Display (with a tiny riser to stop it from covering the camera). Assuming I don't care about the Windows Hello/presence functionality, could that monitor light clip on to the top of the camera module? I reckon I'd have to give up the tilting if so, too.

Would someone be able to measure thickness at the top of the display? The user guide says it's 66mm which seems like too much. Thanks :)
Maybe I don't understand what you're asking.

But the top of the Dell 6K isn't close to 66mm at any point. The top is tapered and at it's thickest in the middle. The camera is about 42mm thick and I'd say the display is about the same at its thickest.

Looking at the light bar, I don't think it will clip well to the camera because there's no flat surface. But w/o having it, I can't say much for certain.

pdm

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008

I have the BenQ light and to mount it I had to 3d print my own adapter that raised the entire contraption above the camera. It basically straddled the camera on either side and made a platform above it. It worked but I ended up not really appreciating it. Mounting to the camera itself isn't really going to work as it can tilt and is not flat. I tried putting the light below my monitor and that actually worked a little better, since the monitor is raised up a good bit to be at eye level anyway. Good luck.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Maybe I don't understand what you're asking.

But the top of the Dell 6K isn't close to 66mm at any point. The top is tapered and at it's thickest in the middle. The camera is about 42mm thick and I'd say the display is about the same at its thickest.

Looking at the light bar, I don't think it will clip well to the camera because there's no flat surface. But w/o having it, I can't say much for certain.
You got it. I obviously don't have the display, and I can only gather so much from videos and Dell's info, and the thickness already tells me it won't work. Thanks.

I have the BenQ light and to mount it I had to 3d print my own adapter that raised the entire contraption above the camera. It basically straddled the camera on either side and made a platform above it. It worked but I ended up not really appreciating it. Mounting to the camera itself isn't really going to work as it can tilt and is not flat. I tried putting the light below my monitor and that actually worked a little better, since the monitor is raised up a good bit to be at eye level anyway. Good luck.
Looks like you've tried everything I would've tried, which was exactly the post I was looking for, so thanks 🙂

I guess if I got this monitor, the monitor light will just have to go into the cupboard. I could potentially do some cutting/modding of the light to make it fit somehow. Taking a closer look at the product images the monitor, it looks like the Xiaomi light could clip on to it if only the clip opened up enough.

Anywho - thanks for the responses. Still just pondering this purchase for later in the year.

slonoed

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I have 2 strange issues and want to check if anyone had same and found fix.
I have 2 laptops: M1 Max and M3 Max. They have a very similar configuration besides CPU (64G memory, 14 inch display). I wanted to connect them both to Dell 6k and use it as only display (laptops will be closed). Both laptops are updated to last version of MacOS and all Dell related software is updated.

Unable to use 3072 resolution on one of laptops

For some reason M1 is not able to do 3072 resolution on HDMI+USB setup. If I connect it to Thunderbolt it works fine.
Weird part is that M3 is fine on both connections.

This is the pain for me because I want M3 to be connected via one wire (instead of 4) since I take it with me more often.

Unable to use monitor mic at all

This is pretty sad situation. Both laptops unable to get sound from monitor mic regardless of connection type (Thunderbolt or HDMI+USB). I see that laptop has mic as device U3224KB/A. However, I can't get sound from it (and it's not turned off by monitor mute button). I'm trying to understand if this is software issue that may be fixed or hardware issue and I need to return monitor. But I'm out of ideas on how to debug it.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 10.36.33.png

TMF93

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
I have 2 laptops: M1 Max and M3 Max. They have a very similar configuration besides CPU (64G memory, 14 inch display). I wanted to connect them both to Dell 6k and use it as only display (laptops will be closed). Both laptops are updated to last version of MacOS and all Dell related software is updated.

For some reason M1 is not able to do 3072 resolution on HDMI+USB setup. If I connect it to Thunderbolt it works fine.

This is the pain for me because I want M3 to be connected via one wire (instead of 4) since I take it with me more often.

This is pretty sad situation. Both laptops unable to get sound from monitor mic regardless of connection type (Thunderbolt or HDMI+USB). I see that laptop has mic as device U3224KB/A. However, I can't get sound from it (and it's not turned off by monitor mute button). I'm trying to understand if this is software issue that may be fixed or hardware issue and I need to return monitor. But I'm out of ideas on how to debug it.

View attachment 2363562
Just a couple of things, have you checked that the mic is selected as default in system settings? and especially that the input volume for it is turned up ? As I remember, I had to turn it all the way up on mine to get usable audio.

slonoed

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Just a couple of things, have you checked that the mic is selected as default in system settings? and especially that the input volume for it is turned up ? As I remember, I had to turn it all the way up on mine to get usable audio.
Yep. And it even reacts to change: when I move all the way down in settings monitor mute button become red.

Looks like you are right. Mic does work but very low level. Essentially, I can only record when I knocking on monitor where mic is. But even loud speech can't get through. It turned all the way up in systems settings. So, I guess it either really weak or there is some internal volume value set to low.

Last edited:

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I have an issue with 10bit color.
Im using a Macbook Pro 16, M1 Max. Macos 14.4.1
Monitor firmware: M2T105
Tried the original TB4 cable and an Anker TB4 cable I had.

If I go in the OSD of the monitor, into Display Info it shows: 6144x3456,60HZ 24-bit.
Which means its running in 8bit color
If I select for 30HZ in macos it shows 6144x3456,30Hz 30-bit. (10bit color)
In the same OSD window is shows: Stream Info: 8.1 Gbps
This seems quite low?

In macos I have selected 3072x1728, but here I also tried other resolutions and it didn't help.

What could be the issue or is it impossible to get 10bit color with 60hz?

I tried an Macbook pro 14, M2 Pro, and there it works with 30-bit (10bit color), with the same cable.

Last edited:

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Dumb question ... where is this HDR button supposed to be? I am connected via Thunderbolt directly to my Mac Mini M2 Pro, and am also running Sonoma 14.4, and I don't see anything.
Why is it showing 20Gb/s x1 for me, and 40Gb/s for mike here?
Im using the original TB4 cable. Running an Macbook Pro 16, M1 Max. macos 14.4.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 03.33.35.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 03.33.35.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 28

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
I have an issue with 10bit color.
Im using a Macbook Pro 16, M1 Max. Macos 14.4.1
Monitor firmware: M2T105
Tried the original TB4 cable and an Anker TB4 cable I had.

If I go in the OSD of the monitor, into Display Info it shows: 6144x3456,60HZ 24-bit.
Which means its running in 8bit color
If I select for 30HZ in macos it shows 6144x3456,30Hz 30-bit. (10bit color)
In the same OSD window is shows: Stream Info: 8.1 Gbps
This seems quite low?

In macos I have selected 3072x1728, but here I also tried other resolutions and it didn't help.

What could be the issue or is it impossible to get 10bit color with 60hz?

I tried an Macbook pro 14, M2 Pro, and there it works with 30-bit (10bit color), with the same cable.
This was working in MacOS 14.2 and 14.3, but 14.4.0 broke a lot of things, including 10-bit color (and thus HDR too) for us. Unfortunately, it's still broken in 14.4.1. I've seen that other monitors have been affected too, e.g., LGs. Hopefully Apple will fix this stuff in 14.4.2.

Last edited:
Reactions: babylon55

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This was working in MacOS 14.2 and 14.3, but 14.4.0 broke a lot of things, including 10-bit color (and thus HDR too) for us. Unfortunately, it's still broken 14.4.1. I've seen that other monitors have been affected too, e.g., LGs. Hopefully Apple will fix this stuff in 14.4.2.

On my OLED TV, on 14.4.1, BetterDisplay claims 10bit, and SysInfo says: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

But the TV itself reports 3840x2160p @ 120hz YCBCR420 8Bit ITU709, which I assume is "the truth" here?

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 10.53.58.png

babylon55

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024

Thyme

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2023
On my OLED TV, on 14.4.1, BetterDisplay claims 10bit, and SysInfo says: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
But the TV itself reports 3840x2160p @ 120hz YCBCR420 8Bit ITU709, which I assume is "the truth" here?
Whatever the monitor/TV reports as the input signal is almost certainly the truth.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
This was working in MacOS 14.2 and 14.3, but 14.4.0 broke a lot of things, including 10-bit color (and thus HDR too) for us. Unfortunately, it's still broken in 14.4.1. I've seen that other monitors have been affected too, e.g., LGs. Hopefully Apple will fix this stuff in 14.4.2.
Yeah it's a mess. Kind of works, kind of doesn't. If I futz with it, I can get HDR at 60hz. But it's flaky and not worth messing with IMO.

actic

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2024

View attachment 2363562

M1 generation did not have HDMI 2.1 which I believe is required for 6k@60Hz. That was introduced in the M2, and would also be present of course in your M3.

Reactions: Basic75

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Yep. And it even reacts to change: when I move all the way down in settings monitor mute button become red.

Looks like you are right. Mic does work but very low level. Essentially, I can only record when I knocking on monitor where mic is. But even loud speech can't get through. It turned all the way up in systems settings. So, I guess it either really weak or there is some internal volume value set to low.
Please also choose the "U3224KB/A" as output device, not the one via displayport. I remember there was some quirks about mic volume if you chose the displayport audio out.

I've been using the builtin mic for confernce calls and also recorded via the Voice Memo app, and the volume sounds similar as my Logitech BRIO 500.

TMF93

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
Please also choose the "U3224KB/A" as output device, not the one via displayport. I remember there was some quirks about mic volume if you chose the displayport audio out.

I've been using the builtin mic for confernce calls and also recorded via the Voice Memo app, and the volume sounds similar as my Logitech BRIO 500.
Yeah, same thing for output as well: you can only control volume through the system when you choose this one. (Seems like U3224KB/A is the USB device)

Last edited:

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
What's the Ethernet controller? Is it PCIe (requires Thunderbolt) or USB?
It's USB. The 2.5Gbps speed doesn't really need PCIe.

1712699824878.png

I could get a consistent 2.35Gbps measured with iperf3. The service side runs on a 10Gbps NIC (Intel X550).

1712699929054.png

Reactions: USB3foriMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.