Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I'm having trouble keeping all the permutations straight. What USB speeds can I get with one of these if I hook it to a 2021 MBP Max 16" with a good USB-C cable and want 4K&60Hz?

The external USB ports on the U2723QE only go up to 10 Gbps in the first place, and M1/M2 Macs can handle that speed while connecting to the monitor's USB-C port at 4K@60Hz. Is that what you're asking about?

Hmm. Actually, I realized I'm not sure that it's possible simultaneously. I just knew the monitor ports are only 10 Gbps and that the Macs can do that. Sorry, not sure how much bandwidth is left with DisplayPort via USB-C (DisplayPort alt mode) active.

Last edited:

stwentyplus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
Can you guys share connection info from the monitor menu, I'm interested is it 24bit or 30bit?

Attachments

• abcc0b11-2d15-4b7a-a5b2-063e04a55e48.jpg
    abcc0b11-2d15-4b7a-a5b2-063e04a55e48.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 89

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
What USB speeds are people getting with these when running 4K@60Hz connected to a M1 Pro or Max?

It apparently can drop to USB2 speeds depending on the Display Port version supported on the Mac side.

Last edited:

lavrenovlad

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2023
I just received mine, the contrast difference is very noticeable and looks MUCH better than my BenQ PD3220U. Night and day difference.

On the downside, it looks like I got a bad unit with regards to backlight uniformity, even though it's expected that IPS panels are uneven by nature, I think it's worse than it should be.

Also, the IPS Black I'm not seeing as much difference as I'd like, it's definitely nowhere close to the Macbook's display in terms of black.

I made a video to show the difference, Dell U3223QE vs BenQ PD3220U (note that the backlight defects are far more noticeable on video/photo than in real life). Also note the dell is 400nits vs 300nits on the BenQ.

I wonder if my unit is an exception or not, hopefully not as I'm planning on returning this one and requesting a replacement.

View attachment 1956601
Hey, may I ask about Matte finish on your Benq monitor? And how fast the KVM switch is?
I recently bough that dell u3223qe but returned because I didn't like the bleed, but it wasn't the main issue, I didn't like the matte finish on the monitor (just personal preference, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else). Basically it felt too reflective, I usually use monitors on the lowest brightness in half-dark room, and the dell monitor was kinda reflecting too much. I wonder if benq is better in that regard? Thanks!

lavrenovlad

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2023
I just received mine, the contrast difference is very noticeable and looks MUCH better than my BenQ PD3220U. Night and day difference.

On the downside, it looks like I got a bad unit with regards to backlight uniformity, even though it's expected that IPS panels are uneven by nature, I think it's worse than it should be.

Also, the IPS Black I'm not seeing as much difference as I'd like, it's definitely nowhere close to the Macbook's display in terms of black.

I made a video to show the difference, Dell U3223QE vs BenQ PD3220U (note that the backlight defects are far more noticeable on video/photo than in real life). Also note the dell is 400nits vs 300nits on the BenQ.

I wonder if my unit is an exception or not, hopefully not as I'm planning on returning this one and requesting a replacement.

View attachment 1956601
Also one more question, if you set the brightness to 0% on these monitors, which one is darker? I assume they are about the same lowest brightness?

hipeboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
Hi there,

What's your experience with Dell's built-in HUB and MacBook Pro's without USB-C ports, namely the KVM switch feature and the wired network adapter?

KVM works just fine out-of-the-box? Are the wired network speeds good enough to stop using Wi-Fi?
Are you guys connecting using a USB-A to USB-C cable?

Thanks in advance.

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
What USB speeds are people getting with these when running 4K@60Hz connected to a M1 Pro or Max?

It apparently can drop to USB2 speeds depending on the Display Port version supported on the Mac side.
I went ahead and ordered one from B&H Photo. It arrived in a couple days. It looks great. I''ve pretty much settled on using it in the mode that looks like 2560x1440. "3008x1692" is quite usable but a little small with my eyes, I'll probably try using it, but TBH I'm still figuring out how to best use such a large single display. I've got Moom, but I think what I really need is something optimized for using the display in 1/3rds, rather than halves.

With my MBP M1 Max 16" connected over USB-C using the cable provided with the display, I'm getting 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, 30-bit. USB 3.1. StreamInfo 8.1Gbps DSC. I found someone with a similar setup who was only getting 60Hz refresh with USB-2 speeds with the included cable, but another cable gave full 10Gbps speeds.

Last edited:

stwentyplus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
I have a great deal for the U3223QE, but it's the PWM that I'm not sure about. I know brightness fluctuations are not high, but they are still present.

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
I have a great deal for the U3223QE, but it's the PWM that I'm not sure about. I know brightness fluctuations are not high, but they are still present.
I really don't understand what you're talking about. I've been using it with Mac mini M1 one year and don't see any PWN effect. Of course, besides those known issues with flickering in some combinations of cables and connections. Now it is connected with USB-C > DP adaptor cable and works like a charm.
BTW, according to rtings.com, it is Flicker-Free and has PWM Dimming Frequency >1000 Hz if so.
I'd say my next stop is 43"@8K but I'm not sure if I really need it. As well as invest more money in 32"@6K.

stwentyplus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
I really don't understand what you're talking about. I've been using it with Mac mini M1 one year and don't see any PWN effect. Of course, besides those known issues with flickering in some combinations of cables and connections. Now it is connected with USB-C > DP adaptor cable and works like a charm.
BTW, according to rtings.com, it is Flicker-Free and has PWM Dimming Frequency >1000 Hz if so.
I'd say my next stop is 43"@8K but I'm not sure if I really need it. As well as invest more money in 32"@6K.
According to rtings, PWM>1000Hz = flicker free. That's nonsense. There are people who can't use 14"/16" MBPs with PWM at 14880Hz or even higher. The fact it's not noticable by naked eye doesn't mean there are no negative effects.

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
According to rtings, PWM>1000Hz = flicker free. That's nonsense. There are people who can't use 14"/16" MBPs with PWM at 14880Hz or even higher. The fact it's not noticable by naked eye doesn't mean there are no negative effects.
How can I help? 🤦🏻‍♂️ I suppose you still use candles and open fire at home.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Are Dell monitors in general better than BenQ?

Not necessarily, the BenQ professional line have some of the best colour accuracy on the market. I got a Dell U2723 because it was on sale, it looks great to me (colours and contrast) but I’ve been eyeing off the different BenQ models as well. They’d be very close in comparison from what I’ve read and specs

Reactions: Wheel_D

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Not necessarily, the BenQ professional line have some of the best colour accuracy on the market. I got a Dell U2723 because it was on sale, it looks great to me (colours and contrast) but I’ve been eyeing off the different BenQ models as well. They’d be very close in comparison from what I’ve read and specs

Is 350 nits bright enough? That's the standard brightness on the BenQs.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Is 350 nits bright enough? That's the standard brightness on the BenQs.
PD2725U this one is 400 nits
Native Contrast
1200:1
Color Gamut
100% Rec.709, 100% sRGB, 95% P3
HDR10, VESA DisplayHDR 400

U2723QE​

Brightness
400 cd/m²
Contrast Ratio
2000:1 / 2000:1 (dynamic)
Colour Support
1.07 billion colours
Colour Gamut
100% Rec 709, 100% sRGB, 98% DCI-P3

they're pretty comparable, i ended up going for Dell, and it's still cheaper in Australia

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks @ekwipt, any ideas about the ASUS PA279CRV?
not sure, but it probably uses the same panel as the other 2, with roughly the same specs, it comes out cheaper than the BenQ a bit more expensive than the Dell for me in Australia, it would definitely be a contender, wish it didn't have the Asus logo!

the Asus is brighter in non HDR mode, the colours are better
the Contrast ratio is better than the benq

Clonetrooper

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2021
England
Has anyone run a pair of the 27 inch screens on an M1 Mac mini. I'm wondering if rescaling both of those (one through Usb C and one HDMI) Would cause me any slow down or other issues?

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone adding so much valuable information and insight in this thread. I read through all 52 pages :D I finally decided to buy the U3223QE. It's $729 right now on Amazon. Coming from a P2715Q that has served me well for seven years. Looking forward to the additional screen real estate and the more modern I/O. Now I just hope I'll receive a current revision without any major flaws. Fingers crossed!

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone adding so much valuable information and insight in this thread. I read through all 52 pages :D I finally decided to buy the U3223QE. It's $729 right now on Amazon. Coming from a P2715Q that has served me well for seven years. Looking forward to the additional screen real estate and the more modern I/O. Now I just hope I'll receive a current revision without any major flaws. Fingers crossed!
That is the exact upgrade path I had, more than a year ago. The 32" is now my primary, and the 27" is a secondary in another room. Good choce, and good luck!

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
That is the exact upgrade path I had, more than a year ago. The 32" is now my primary, and the 27" is a secondary in another room. Good choce, and good luck!
Thank you! I thought I remembered someone mentioning the P2715Q :) I'm just debating right now if I want to keep the old one around and try a two monitor setup for the first time. Seems overkill for my use case. But at the same time I feel almost bad for my trusty old Dell that has worked so flawlessly … On the other hand: If I donate it to Goodwill, someone else might still get a few years out of it :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
the 27 is 3840 x 2160 pixels and so about 160+ ppi
I'm using a Dell 27" 4K monitor right now. It is sharper than my eyes. My glasses seem to be the weak link in the chain. But even with my nose close to the screen, the text is dead sharp. This is on a Mac Mini M2-Pro.

You really do need to run the monitor at its native 4K resolution.

Reactions: rocketbuc

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I have my U3223QE by now. I'm running it at 3008 x 1692 and it looks great. Everyone's different of course. But this whole PPI drama is totally overblown in my personal opinion.

And I'm talking about what I see when I look at the monitor from my usual seating position, because that is what counts for me.

I'm not saying the people wanting more resolution are wrong. I'm only saying that it's not as obvious as some people say. So take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, my own included of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.