Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
It's a good monitor, I only started to experience occasional flickering after a year of use. The flickering seems to be caused by some IPS driver circuit issue, either hardware of the chip's software (not sure about that one, but I'd almost assume hardware?)

Dell replaced my monitor for free after contacting them and I've been flicker free for a bit over a week now.

Thanks for replying.

Yet your description does not alay my fears.

When a product works for a year, then starts to have problems, and it's not a physical defect from physical deformation, I wonder what sort of firmware/design issues lay under the hood.

This is true for all monitors with flickering with Apple Silicon Macs.

Will a macOS update suddenly cause the return of flickering?
Will some firmware update suddenly cause the return of flickering?

In my opinion, the rise of flickering issues with various monitors is the number one persistent dark cloud over the era of Apple Silicon Macs.

I don't want to spend $3k + on a new system only to be met with these kinds of issues.

These latest Dell monitors overall get good reviews and Dell has made it their business to supply better-than-average quality monitors to the business world.

The 2723QE is less than half the cost of the ASD, which is making me pay more attention to the 2723QE.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
these Dell models appear to have pretty poor backlight bleed. From rtings review of the u2723qe:

uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg

As a dark mode user this amount of bleed would be really annoying to me.

Loi84

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2022
I had ordered one too and it had ridiculously bad backlight bleed. Worse than my previous $130 QHD screen it was meant to replace. Returned right away.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I'm sure it's a bit of lottery, but it seems more common on these newer Dells. I had a U2515H that had pretty minimal bleed

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
How many of you still have the flickering issue with this monitor? Are new, factory fresh displays also affected or has this hardware issue been resolved nowadays? Does the proposed solution in this thread (switching USB-C to high resolution in the display‘s settings, switching off DDC) really work to fix the flickering problem/s, but you lose USB 3.0 speeds in the process?

Reactions: picpicmac

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I have had three Dells. The first was from the cheaper end of their range (can't remember the model number), which I returned because of excessive bleed, similar to what you are getting.

I upgraded to an Ultrasharp (U2713H), which had no bleed.

When that eventually died I got my current screen, a P2719H (not Ultrasharp,) and that also has no bleed.

(By no bleed I mean very little, if any, when viewing a black screen in a dark room. Certainly not enough to be noticeable in any normal use. Nothing like what you are getting.)

Personally I wouldn't accept the amount of bleed you are getting. Especially on their allegedly premium Ultrasharps.
After how many years did the U2713H break down?

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
Hi there,

I recently purchased a new Monitor U2723QE. How can I test if it's a good unit? what test can I run and see if its a good unit?

also are there any colour profiles online for download? first to match MacBook Pro 14 inch display. and also for office work? to reduce eyestrain?

and what settings do you recommend for the monitor? colour brightness? contrast ...and so on. what resolution do you guys prefer ?

I am using an OCW thunderbolt 4 cable to connect my Mac to the monitor. I attached an screenshot does everything look as it should? Or are there any improvements I can do? I updated the firmware already.

Thank you so much ! much appreciated!!

Chris

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Purple_

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
Hi there,

I recently purchased a new Monitor U2723QE. How can I test if it's a good unit? what test can I run and see if its a good unit?

Some units just have slightly worse background bleed then others, but unless you are noticing it straight away I'd say don't worry about it.

also are there any colour profiles online for download? first to match MacBook Pro 14 inch display. and also for office work? to reduce eyestrain?

and what settings do you recommend for the monitor? colour brightness? contrast ...and so on. what resolution do you guys prefer ?

Your MacBook display is going to automatically adjust itself based on the lighting conditions in your room, so there isn't really a way to have it match (unless you disable True Tone I guess). Personally I'd keep the default if you need any kind of colour accuracy as it's pretty spot on in my experience.

If you're just looking to reduce eyestrain and don't care about accuracy you may want to check out night shift (Included in MacOS) or f.lux to make your whites a little more orange.

Keep the colour and contrast settings default, put the brightness on something you prefer (this setting will entirely depend on the brightness of your room and personal preferences)
I run the monitor at native 4K (3840x2160) without scaling on MacOS, but this is on the 3223QE model which is bigger so I don't really think native 4K is practical on the 27" model. For this I'd also say, put it on something you personally prefer. MacOS will scale screen contents, so no quality is lost.

I am using an OCW thunderbolt 4 cable to connect my Mac to the monitor. I attached an screenshot does everything look as it should? Or are there any improvements I can do? I updated the firmware already.

Looks fine, you can use a regular USB-C 10Gbps cable for it by the way, it doesn't need a more expensive Thunderbolt cable.

Reactions: Chris_99

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
Hi thanks for your help! much appreciated !

One more question since you are using the 32 inch version in 4k ...how is the resolution? and sharpness of text? how far are you away from the screen? I was also on the fence between 27 or 32 but ppl say 27 better sharpness und more ppi so I would like to know you first hand user experience for the 32 inch variant. what kind of work do you do? do you have any buyers remorse?

thank you so much !!

Purple_

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
The resolution of the 27" and 32" versions is the same, so the ppi is lower on the bigger version. Personally I can't see the individual pixels and 32" is around the size where 4K native becomes possible (without scaling).

I'd 100% recommend the 32" if you want to get the most out of your display, but running 4K native on a display does definitely require you to wear your glasses. Obviously you can enable scaling if you prefer, you will still have more screen estate on the 32" at the same scaling factor

Haven't had any buyers remorse, if this monitor died I'd buy the same again without hesitation :)

I do office work (IT) and photography on this monitor

etbull

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Hi thanks for your help! much appreciated !

One more question since you are using the 32 inch version in 4k ...how is the resolution? and sharpness of text? how far are you away from the screen? I was also on the fence between 27 or 32 but ppl say 27 better sharpness und more ppi so I would like to know you first hand user experience for the 32 inch variant. what kind of work do you do? do you have any buyers remorse?

thank you so much !!
How do you find text on the 27” display? I recently got a 14” Macbook pro and I am looking for a 27” monitor. My use is hobby photography and non-work computer use. I tried a benq 2k monitor, but the text was fuzzy, even with 3rd party apps. I have frequent headaches and the eye strain was killing me, so the benq was unusable for me. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any 4k monitors in store locally, other than the apple studio display. So, I’m torn between the u2723qe and the ASD. Big price difference.

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
How do you find text on the 27” display? I recently got a 14” Macbook pro and I am looking for a 27” monitor. My use is hobby photography and non-work computer use. I tried a benq 2k monitor, but the text was fuzzy, even with 3rd party apps. I have frequent headaches and the eye strain was killing me, so the benq was unusable for me. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any 4k monitors in store locally, other than the apple studio display. So, I’m torn between the u2723qe and the ASD. Big price difference.

hi there! I was in the same situation. but I am very happy with the u2723qe. very sharp text . I use better display app. I would buy the dell monitor in 27 inch I really do love this monitor. I am just on the fence if I should get the 32 inch variant but that's just personal preference.

a 4k 27 will look always better than a 2k 27...even if you scale. 4k 27 has just over 160 ppi ...so even if you scale down... your Mac puts 4k signal to the monitor but scales down the fonts...it looks sharper. this is a misconception ppl have. but go for the dell! I use it mainly for office work and text is really sharp. if you do foto editing just turn off True Tone because it messes with colours. sure the asd is better but for me not worth the high price tag.

and use better display app in hidpi resolution. text looks sharper.

hope that helps good luck!

Reactions: etbull

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
The resolution of the 27" and 32" versions is the same, so the ppi is lower on the bigger version. Personally I can't see the individual pixels and 32" is around the size where 4K native becomes possible (without scaling).

I'd 100% recommend the 32" if you want to get the most out of your display, but running 4K native on a display does definitely require you to wear your glasses. Obviously you can enable scaling if you prefer, you will still have more screen estate on the 32" at the same scaling factor

Haven't had any buyers remorse, if this monitor died I'd buy the same again without hesitation :)

I do office work (IT) and photography on this monitor

thanks for your help...how far away do you sit from the monitor? I just have 2 concerns that the lower ppi leads to text being more blurry than on the 27 inch.

and ergonomics. if you have to turn your head tooo much...because you sit to close. I do mainly office work but occasionally I enjoy larger display for content consumption .. so bigger display could be better if ergonomics are not compromised. I do love the 27 inch variant though no complains...but if I can get the 32 inch variant it would be better maybe I will try it out. but would love to hear about your exact set up.... you use 4k native but then I assume you are sitting very close ? please elaborate... how far you sit away? how often do you turn your head :)

TIA!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.