Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
So why did they say and update was coming before the end of the year and now appear to have sealed lips? I think their first statement was either speculation, or a violation of NDA.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone. We originally announced that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided would be coming to Mac by the end of the year, because that is when we thought it would be ready. We really appreciate everyone being patient with us about that, as we wanted to get it out sooner!

Metal is a young API and is still evolving. We are indeed waiting for further updates to it, but we can’t say when those updates will be made. As with any of our games, we won’t release Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for Mac until we’re confident that it performs well.

As soon as we have news on a release date we’ll update our website and social media, so do keep an eye out and once again, thanks for your patience!

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
I've given up waiting and am playing the game on Bootcamp. A shame, but there really is a limit to how long we can wait for updates and news on planned releases.
I am very loyal to Feral and others and buy a lot of their games, but there comes a point when we are getting no news, and releases are not announced or get delayed indefinitely (Deus Ex) or get cancelled just before release (F1 2015), that I have to give up and buy the Windows version. I wish it was another way!
The game is excellent, BTW, but I guess you already know that!

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I've given up waiting and am playing the game on Bootcamp. A shame, but there really is a limit to how long we can wait for updates and news on planned releases.
I am very loyal to Feral and others and buy a lot of their games, but there comes a point when we are getting no news, and releases are not announced or get delayed indefinitely (Deus Ex) or get cancelled just before release (F1 2015), that I have to give up and buy the Windows version. I wish it was another way!
The game is excellent, BTW, but I guess you already know that!
We are doing a native Mac port of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided using Metal, and it's going to be great. Maybe you could get it for a friend when it's released... it is an excellent game, after all ;)

Do keep in mind that F1 2015 was never announced for Mac, let alone cancelled! But if you're a big racing fan, we're happy to consider your request for a new F1 game on Mac.

EDIT: Just to clarify, we didn't make any official announcements about F1 2015 coming to Mac. We have a lot of racing game fans so when it came out for Linux and not Mac, people were understandably curious. If they asked us whether they'd be able to play it on Mac, we were honest and explained that it would only be available on Linux. So hopefully that clears up something! ... and now back to Deus Ex chat :)

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I can't really get into the nitty-gritty of this, but rest assured that we're doing what we can to get Metal ready to support Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It's a demanding game, so it's taking us longer than anticipated. Thanks everyone for your patience!

Entirely unrelated comment, but I'd just like to say that I think it is incredibly awesome how you guys actually reach out and talk to the community. You get a massive thumbs up. I love the work you do.

jith_feral

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I'm reading these posts about metal and vulkan..im new to gaming on a mac, can someone explain to me what metal and vulcan are?
Metal is a growing API by Apple, which game developers can use to bring games to Mac and iOS. Vulkan is another relatively new API, but it is used for games on Windows and Linux.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm reading these posts about metal and vulkan..im new to gaming on a mac, can someone explain to me what metal and vulcan are?

If you come from Windows, you'll probably be more familiar with DirectX. These are counterparts to that basically. Metal is Apple, and Vulkan is open. All are programming interfaces for making computer graphics.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
There is MoltenVK for Mac and iOS.

Yeah, but it's about getting the technologies adopted. If it's in the OS; it's there for everyone, it'll be known by everyone and easily accessible to developers. Third party solutions aren't. Besides, how is it implemented? Because if it's just translating Vulkan calls into Metal or whatnot, then it brings no advantage anyhow.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

They're graphics APIs/frameworks used (primarily) to develop games. Others include Direct3D (Windows-only) and OpenGL (pretty much every platform). They also are compute APIs - using your machine's GPU to accelerate non-gaming maths functions.

Whereas Direct3D and OpenGL focus on a wide feature set, support for a wide range of hardware, and portability; Metal and Vulkan are lower level, with reduced performance overhead and so improved performance and/or reduced power requirements and heat generation.

Metal is Apple's graphics API for iOS, now also available in macOS. It doesn't mean you can take an iOS Metal game and run it on macOS, but it does make it far easier for games developers to develop for both. *As long as they don't plan on porting the game to Window/Android/Linux*

Vulkan is a similar low-level API for Windows, Android and Linux; based of AMD's Mantle (two low-level graphics APIs "Metal" and "Mantle"? Confused.com!). While Metal is limited to Apple platforms, Vulkan is targeted at multiple platforms, as the 'spiritual successor' to OpenGL. Though given that Metal is built into iOS and macOS, it's likely to stay the dominant API there. MoltenVK is a 3rd party Vulkan implementation for both platforms, build on Metal.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Metal is Apple's graphics API for iOS, now also available in macOS. It doesn't mean you can take an iOS Metal game and run it on macOS, but it does make it far easier for games developers to develop for both. *As long as they don't plan on porting the game to Window/Android/Linux*
To be realistic, it's likely that you'd be using a game engine anyway, so it's not as big of a deal as it might seem. It's more likely to be something for engine developers to take care of rather than individual game developers.

--Eric

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
To be realistic, it's likely that you'd be using a game engine anyway, so it's not as big of a deal as it might seem. It's more likely to be something for engine developers to take care of rather than individual game developers.

Well, I wouldn't say that. First off, even if you do use middleware, like Unity or Unreal Engine, you still need to do work to adapt a title to another platform. Second, you might also need to write shaders in the engine, using the relevant APIs. And third, not that many titles use an off the shelf middleware engine that it eliminates the need to consider the rest of the market. I'd honestly only put it at around 65-70% of the market.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Well, I wouldn't say that. First off, even if you do use middleware, like Unity or Unreal Engine, you still need to do work to adapt a title to another platform.
It's very possible to write games that require little or no actual work in the engine to adapt, at least with similar platforms (e.g. PC/Mac/Linux). Packaging things up for distribution requires some work, but in any case that's completely unrelated to the graphics API, which is what we're discussing here.

Second, you might also need to write shaders in the engine, using the relevant APIs.
At least with Unity that's generally not true (not familiar enough with UE4 to comment on that). Writing shaders is API-agnostic; the shaders are auto-compiled to Metal/OpenGL/Direct3D/etc. as needed. For certain specialized/advanced things you do need to take platform differences into account, but that's not too common.

And third, not that many titles use an off the shelf middleware engine that it eliminates the need to consider the rest of the market. I'd honestly only put it at around 65-70% of the market.
Regardless of the percentage, lots of developers do use an off-the-shelf engine, so I'm just going to stick with "not as big of a deal as it might seem", since that's accurate. Also I would expect the trend toward using third-party engines to continue, as the move to "closer to the metal" APIs seems like it would encourage more people to want to leave that stuff up to engine programmers.

--Eric

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Regardless of the percentage, lots of developers do use an off-the-shelf engine, so I'm just going to stick with "not as big of a deal as it might seem", since that's accurate. Also I would expect the trend toward using third-party engines to continue, as the move to "closer to the metal" APIs seems like it would encourage more people to want to leave that stuff up to engine programmers.

The following relates to your entire post and not just the above:

Fair enough, all good and valid points. You're right.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Metal is definitely faster than Open GL in my World of Warcraft tests but still about 10-15 frames slower than Windows 10 using boot camp.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
There's also the fact that Metal is new and requires new coding schemes for optimal performance, which are not yet implemented. There is more room for progression with Metal than with DX11.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
On the topic of Metal - though unrelated to Deus Ex - support for Metal was added Starcraft 2 in the latest 3.1 patch.

Heroes of the Storm has it as well, as the two share the same engine.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
On the topic of Metal - though unrelated to Deus Ex - support for Metal was added Starcraft 2 in the latest 3.1 patch.

Heroes of the Storm has it as well, as the two share the same engine.

That's great news! Any idea how much of a difference it made in SC2?
I can't say anything about SC2, but in HoS, the Metal renderer is labeled as "beta" – and obviously for a reason: on my 2016 15" rMBP with the AMD 460, the game keeps stut-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tering, completely independent of the settings. There are also a few visible glitches. Between the stutters, it seems to run minimally smoother than the default OpenGL 2.1 renderer, but without means to display any actual metrics, it's hard to say.

Needs more work.

At least the number of available games with official Metal support has effectively almost doubled with that…
dry.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.