Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Do they remember their PW?

Still, this boggles my mind about the vast majority of Android users are 2 versions back (probably due to Fire):

Isn't this reflective of how updates come direct from Apple instead of having to go make their way through the carrier or hardware-only handset maker?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I know some people do seem to be lazy when it comes to updating, but don't forget some devices (old devices) can't update past a certain version.

The first-generation iPod touch can't be updated past iOS 3.1.3

And if someone replies with a "get a newer model" comment, you're better be prepared to send me one for free. :rolleyes:

----------

I still have iOS 2.xx ... and am stuck with it. I'm part of the unreported 0.x%

Which device is stuck on iOS 2? :confused:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well yeah.

Unlike other companies, Apple's latest iOS update was universally available to all users on its debut day. No buts or ifs or coming soon...in 6 months.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
at least all those folks can upgrade if they want. my one year old android phone has no options to update.

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
It's possible that a large majority of Android users use their phones as phones and are not app heavy. Explains a few things.

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
This is just a theory.

Looking at carrier smartphone offerings, you can get a lot of Android smartphones for free and this might attract customers still on voice phones to get a smart phone with a minimal data plan. These customers are cost sensitive and are getting smartphones because of "why not, it's only $15 more a month and I can check email". These customers tend to just use the apps that's already included on the phone (it has everything they need) and don't see a need to upgrade to the latest version of Android. Hence the Android version fragmentation.

Explain please.

----------

Actually a better theory might be that Android handset manufacturers like Samsung and HTC have no incentive to make newer Android software updates available as they don't make any more money that way. That actually want the old phones to lag so it forces people to buy a brand new phone. With 2 year phone upgrade cycles, it seems to match up to the Android fragmentation data.

Explain please.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Summary of the numbers: 61% actually care and upgrade their phones. ~18% jailbreak. And the rest don't give a crap.

rajid

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Damn Apple for removing "prefs:" URLs!

Now, if Apple would only come to their senses, release 5.1.1, and re-include the "prefs:" URLs in Safari, like they had in 5.0 and 5.0.1! That was incredibly useful, Apple! I was fine not doing a jailbreak as long as I could create my own shortcuts! Now, I'm going to have to do the 5.1 untethered jailbreak as soon as it's available, simply because you removed an extremely useful feature after only having it there for 2 versions!

Am I pissed? You bet I am! :mad:

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
so many people i know are still on iOS 4.1 or something with a billion app updates waiting to be installed. it always baffles my mind why it doesnt bother them ^^

I've updated my 4th Gen iPod touch but still have a 2nd Gen that can't be updated past 4.1. I was thinking looking at the graph. How that must represent lots of 2nd & 3rd Gen iPods still rockin. I'd guess that's most of it.

Just think that's 18% who have skipped a version, now ready to upgrade to the next 5th Gen iPod.

Still, this boggles my mind about the vast majority of Android users are 2 versions back (probably due to Fire):

My droid phone wont go past 2.1 there are lots of phones like that.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Had to upgrade my 4S to 5.1 cuz it wouldn't restore to 5.0.1!!!! Lost my jailbreak and my o my how I miss my snes emulator and sbs settings in the notification center!! O well I guess I'll wait for ionic to release his untethered jailbreak he demoed on the new 3rd gen IPad!!

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Most people, not the ones on this forum, are terrified of update issues and all the research and troubleshooting it takes to cure these problems. They don't want to break what is now fixed.

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I would update...

...but there is no way to free up 1GB from the phone to do the install! Ok, so I can delete ALL my music, but the update isn't THAT important to me.

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
But isn't a lot of growth in more recent OS versions due to people purchasing new products? That is hardly adoption, they have it just because. A majority aren't even aware of the version they have or if there are upgrades available. They don't read blogs like this.

Smaugg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2007
so many people i know are still on iOS 4.1 or something with a billion app updates waiting to be installed. it always baffles my mind why it doesnt bother them ^^

In my case (it's iOS 3.1 that I am running) it's because I am still on the original 2007 iPhone. Consider that some people are running older hardware and upgrading is not an option.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
the way android approaches updates appears to be very disorganised and unclear.

Android updates are at the mercy of the carriers, the carriers have to test the update to see if it'll affect the phones ability to use their network, also in the case of many Android handsets that ship with custom UI's, HTC Sense or Samsungs UI, they have to update the skin to run on a later version of Android, often they will only update this for certain handsets.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I think that this is pretty interesting. It shows us that about 20% of people jailbreak. I'd be curious to see how that number changes once the 5.1 jailbreak is released.

It shows that about 20% don't update that are eligible and not much else.

Some of those are jailbreaks, but most likely not all. Some people just don't keep up on available updates, for whatever reason, but I would argue that OTA makes it much easier to be both apprised of an update and to download that same update.

----------

Android updates are at the mercy of the carriers, the carriers have to test the update to see if it'll affect the phones ability to use their network, also in the case of many Android handsets that ship with custom UI's, HTC Sense or Samsungs UI, they have to update the skin to run on a later version of Android, often they will only update this for certain handsets.

Android at the mercy of the Carriers and OEM's? That's part and parcel of Google's business model for Android.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It shows that about 20% don't update that are eligible and not much else.

Some of those are jailbreaks, but most likely not all. Some people just don't keep up on available updates, for whatever reason, but I would argue that OTA makes it much easier to be both apprised of an update and to download that same update.

----------

then why are so few people on 5.0? Because you can jailbreak 5.0.1. That's why.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Unlike some competitor's phone OS offerings, it probably helps that iOS updates are, at the very least, available.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich is on how many phones? 2%?

Sorry. I really needed an Apple Smugness Moment™

Very true. I bought a Galaxy Note in 2011 just after the Galaxy Nexus was announced. I knew, Gingerbread would not be the ideal OS for a device with a1280*720 resolution but it was promised ICS would be available for the Note soon. Well, soon has passed. Then, it was supposed to be available in Q1. Q1 has almost slipped. Latest news. ICS for the Note in Q2. That means, by the time it will eventually be available, the next version, JB, is probably around the corner. Android is fragmented as heck and the update process is a mess. :rolleyes:

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
If this data is based on new downloads only, I would be willing to bet the data is almost irrelevant. If it is based on all his users, then fantastic.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Do they remember their PW?

Just going to point out that the majority of Android phones are 1 version out.

Honeycomb (3.x) line was never released nor was it designed for phone hence there was no jump for it. It was tablet only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.