Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah it helped that they forced me to install it. I was not allowed to restore my 5.0.1. Lost my jailbreak, and a bunch of data.

Hope you are not looking for sympathy, cause you hacked the OS, modified your device, then lost the data associated with running unauthorized apps....

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
so many people i know are still on iOS 4.1 or something with a billion app updates waiting to be installed. it always baffles my mind why it doesnt bother them ^^

App updates usually end up with the app being worse (usually having more ads or having some bad new interface, like AOL).

----------

Hope you are not looking for sympathy, cause you hacked the OS, modified your device, then lost the data associated with running unauthorized apps....

Apparently, he didn't do it right. I'm having no problems with my jailbroken 5.0.1 except for that STUPID notification in the Settings.app telling me to update. Maybe a tweak can get rid of that :p or I can just set my version to 9001 so it gets tricked.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say the added features (slide to camera functionality. delete individual pictures from Photo Stream); the battery life fixes; and the fixes for the original iPad that permeated for those who still use it (like me) that rendered it usable once again. I'm sure that had something to do with the increase.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Android at the mercy of the Carriers and OEM's? That's part and parcel of Google's business model for Android.

I got a cheapo android phone cause my low cost provider didn't had the iphone at the time i needed a new phone. they don't do updates. if you want to update you have to do it by yourself: download some hacking apps, format the phone, find some virus-free andriod version, upload the new system and set it up. wtf?? no thanx. i just hope nothing happens with all those holes and exploits until i have my iphone. then i will be able to update with one click.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
the way android approaches updates appears to be very disorganised and unclear.

Note that I've seen it once on the dev device I work with, but from the user side, it is pretty well done. Notification in the "Notification Center" (the original), which you tap to update. A few minutes later you are updated.

What you probably meant is from the HW manufacturer/carriers' side of creating the damn update in the first place.

But real Android users are like real iPhone users... When they know there is an update, they click check for update every 2 minutes until they get it... Fortunately for us, we KNOW it's coming in the next hour or so...

Sarn

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I haven't bothered with 5.1 as 5.0.1 is running fine on my iPhone 4. There is always the fear that an update will introduce new issues, such as those reported with iMessage and WiFi.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Didnt realise iOS was so fragmented, add to that the half a dozen different hardwares and OS's apperently and its not a lot different then android.

Last edited:

jkmlaok

macrumors newbie
There's a reason for me!

for me, when I upgraded my iphone 4 to ios 5, my battery life went from three days to one day. I was anxious to upgrade b/c of a potential to regain some of my battery life. ios 5.1, in my opinion, was likely adapted by most in the same hopes!

plathunter

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
"App updates usually end up with the app being worse (usually having more ads or having some bad new interface, like AOL)."

Very true look no further than the facebook app. I wish I never updated that piece of junk app.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
As an Android user, I look at that graph with envy. I look forward to switch to iPhone as soon as it has a 4"+ screen.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I got a cheapo android phone cause my low cost provider didn't had the iphone at the time i needed a new phone. they don't do updates. if you want to update you have to do it by yourself: download some hacking apps, format the phone, find some virus-free andriod version, upload the new system and set it up. wtf?? no thanx. i just hope nothing happens with all those holes and exploits until i have my iphone. then i will be able to update with one click.

Wow you make it sound so complicated...

You don't have to download hacking apps or find a virus free Android.

You root the phone and download a trusted ROM from XDA Mod, I have yet to infect any of my Android phones because infected ROMs simply do not exist!

And you could not update your iPhone without a pc/mac before 5.0

Makes me question if you really had an Android or even bothered looking for information about how upgrades/hacking works.

----------

As an Android user, I look at that graph with envy. I look forward to switch to iPhone as soon as it has a 4"+ screen.

SGSII is getting ICS soon, your envy should drop within a month or two

----------

Can't the the 2nd gen ipod touch go to 4.2.1?

Yes that is the latest update it can receive

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
SGSII is getting ICS soon, your envy should drop within a month or two

The SGSII has ICS now. If your SGSII doesn't have it right now then the problem is with your carrier. Then again the fact someone else with the same phone as you has the update doesn't really help you much.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Not if jelly bean is coming out in q2 or q3 like the rumors are saying hehe :D

Rumors on android updates always seem to be wrong, I personaly predict Q4 2012

----------

The SGSII has ICS now. If your SGSII doesn't have it right now then the problem is with your carrier. Then again the fact someone else with the same phone as you has the update doesn't really help you much.

AFAIK, only the international version can get the update, my friend got hers.

Sharkus

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
I've seen similar results in OS versions. Release date for iOS 5.1 saw about 2 percent of users running our app, over the next few days it started to overtake 5.0.1 as the dominant os.
I would say it really is down to OTA OS updates, and I think it is a great thing, as it means that you can potentially drop support for older os versions far quicker than previously, and this also means you can start to optimize for new os versions and support functionality that the new os versions bring.

As for why people are still on older os versions, I'd say it's probably because they are unaware of there being an OS update. Think about your non-tech savvy aunt / uncle / grandparent (or even parent!) and how they will just use the iOS device and probably not worry about app updates, let alone updating the OS.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I've seen similar results in OS versions. Release date for iOS 5.1 saw about 2 percent of users running our app, over the next few days it started to overtake 5.0.1 as the dominant os.
I would say it really is down to OTA OS updates, and I think it is a great thing, as it means that you can potentially drop support for older os versions far quicker than previously, and this also means you can start to optimize for new os versions and support functionality that the new os versions bring.

As for why people are still on older os versions, I'd say it's probably because they are unaware of there being an OS update. Think about your non-tech savvy aunt / uncle / grandparent (or even parent!) and how they will just use the iOS device and probably not worry about app updates, let alone updating the OS.

I personally kept iOS 4 on my iPod touch because I was just too lazy to plug in my iPod. And most upgrades on iOS 5 seemed only useful for iPhones.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I thought I'd share some figures that are a bit different for several reasons.

I only have figures for my free app ShootStorm Survival. The figures come via Mobclix who I use to provide the adverts. Both the free app and advert only statistics may make a difference.

In the past 24 hours, 48.3% of users have iOS 5.1, considerably less than the developer in the original post. 22.4% are on 5.0.1.

What is interesting is that the latest version of my app only came out 4 days ago, but 67.2% of players are using it. So they are updating the app much faster than the OS.

25.4% are on 3.1.2, the previous version of the game. So over 90% are on a recent version.

Part of the difference may be due to my app still working on all devices. So there are players restricted to 4.2.1 (5% of users are on that version) or 3.1.3 (unknown amount as it falls into the Other category) (Other refers to the total outside the top 5 iOS versions in use and is 8.5%).

Also relevant is that 75.1% of users are on iPad, and 79.1% on WiFi.

EDIT: I should note that these figures are based on an app that is well over a year old, and has relatively few players, so may not have the statistical accuracy of the original story.

Last edited:

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Rumors on android updates always seem to be wrong, I personaly predict Q4 2012

still wouldn't matter, the point is sgs3 is getting ics "soon" and then soon after that it'll be outdated because jelly bean is out, at which point they'll wait another 6 months to get that at which point android 6.0 will be out hehe...neverending vicious cycle! :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Not if jelly bean is coming out in q2 or q3 like the rumors are saying hehe :D

The rumors also are saying Jelly bean will be tablet only much like how Honeycomb was tablet only. This means Jelly bean is never going to be designed for phones.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
The rumors also are saying Jelly bean will be tablet only much like how Honeycomb was tablet only. This means Jelly bean is never going to be designed for phones.

hehe what?? is google trying to fail on purpose? why would they create ics which was supposed to unify tablet/phone OS's and then go back and make another tablet only os...?

i know google isn't as good as apple, but even they are not this stupid hehe :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
hehe what?? is google trying to fail on purpose? why would they create ics which was supposed to unify tablet/phone OS's and then go back and make another tablet only os...?

i know google isn't as good as apple, but even they are not this stupid hehe :D

Since you are mostly in FUD mode and showing a clear miss understanding how things work it makes it rather hard to explain it to you.

It would be more like how there are "two version" of iOS out there. One for iPad and phone/iPod. While same in many ways they do have difference in how they handle things. Different gesture support and so on. Minor over all but still differences. Honeycomb added some pretty big changes from the 2.x line so ICS was design to bring it back in line and bring in those changes to the phones.

While unifiy the two they still require difference to take advantage of the large screens better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.