Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Since you are mostly in FUD mode and showing a clear miss understanding how things work it makes it rather hard to explain it to you.

It would be more like how there are "two version" of iOS out there. One for iPad and phone/iPod. While same in many ways they do have difference in how they handle things. Different gesture support and so on. Minor over all but still differences. Honeycomb added some pretty big changes from the 2.x line so ICS was design to bring it back in line and bring in those changes to the phones.

While unifiy the two they still require difference to take advantage of the large screens better.

So since you clearly are not in FUD mode, let me get this clear hehe. They're going to release Jelly Bean for tablets only, and the next Android smartphone OS is going to be 6.0? Just making sure I understand, since clearly you have an idea what you're talking about hehe..or maybe not. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So since you clearly are not in FUD mode, let me get this clear hehe. They're going to release Jelly Bean for tablets only, and the next Android smartphone OS is going to be 6.0? Just making sure I understand, since clearly you have an idea what you're talking about hehe..or maybe not. :D

by the looks of it yes.

Also numbering is just numbering. It really means nothing over all.

There are multiple ways to do numbering and over all it really does not matter.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
SGSII is getting ICS soon, your envy should drop within a month or two

I have an international SGS2, rooted, and installed a ROM which is basically equal to the official update.

It blows. Hard.

The UI is equal to Gingerbread, the touch screen feels less responsive and the system overall feels like a Gingerbread service pack rather then the glorious OS presented by Google last winter.

Fortunately they released the kernel sources, so the hackers at XDA are working hard to get a pure android ROM (AOSP) working 100%. Only thing missing is the video recording, I think. But until it's ready, I'll stick to Gingerbread.

But it shouldn't be like this. I should be getting ICS, from day one, in an untouched version, unlike the mess I got, it feels raped by Samsung, literally.

That's the biggest problem with Android, and likely the only relevant one.

feszty

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
I have 2 iPhones, one is on 4.0.1, the other is 5.01. The older one is fully unlocked, the newer is jailbroken. I bet the 19% and 18% mentioned in the article do not update for the same reason.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Updating to a higher iOS versions is less of a pain now. Updated my iPad 2, process is smooth and seamless.

As for ICS, it hasn't reach my country yet for the S II.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Unlike some competitor's phone OS offerings, it probably helps that iOS updates are, at the very least, available.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich is on how many phones? 2%?

Sorry. I really needed an Apple Smugness Moment™

Yeah. I really like my Samsung Stratosphere, and I liked my Droids, but the fragmentation of Android between phones is mind boggingly counter-productive.

But to be fair, it makes it a bit easier when there are only half a dozen devices which are all from the same manufacturer, instead of many dozens of devices.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
You don't have to download hacking apps...you root the phone and download a trusted ROM from XDA Mod...

Makes me question if you really had an Android or even bothered looking for information about how upgrades/hacking works.

i have the zte blade from the german discounter base. the staf there has no clue how to update that phone officially. they have no technical customer care, there is just a halfways official forum where pro-users help other users.

so i did have to download special sofware to erase everything i had on my phone. i could not save anything i had allready installed. then i had to download an unofficial rom because there is no official upgrade from base.

and i still have that phone which is my first smartphone and will be my last andriod thanks god.

your post makes me queston if you really think that everybody should know what rooting is and what a trusted and what a suspicious rom is. i do not want to know all this s***, the only thing i really want is a safe smartphone working and updating without problems. :rolleyes:

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
then why are so few people on 5.0? Because you can jailbreak 5.0.1. That's why.

Correlation is not causation.

If you can show me actual facts regarding jailbreaks at a 20% rate, I'll be happy to apply my mea culpa. But I just don't see that rate of jailbreaks happening on any of the iPhones. Consumers for the most part aren't interested.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
The first-generation iPod touch can't be updated past iOS 3.1.3

And if someone replies with a "get a newer model" comment, you're better be prepared to send me one for free. :rolleyes:

Which device is stuck on iOS 2? :confused:

remember that back then, it used to cost $10 to update iPods to the later iOS software? I'm glad they did away with that...

----------

I know a bunch of people that don't update because:

a) They don't know there's a new version of iOS.

b) Updating will mess with their icons arrangement, or so they say.

you forgot C

c) they don't have a computer and they are still running ios 4 when they bought their iPhone4

----------

I have an international SGS2, rooted, and installed a ROM which is basically equal to the official update.

It blows. Hard.

The UI is equal to Gingerbread, the touch screen feels less responsive and the system overall feels like a Gingerbread service pack rather then the glorious OS presented by Google last winter.

Fortunately they released the kernel sources, so the hackers at XDA are working hard to get a pure android ROM (AOSP) working 100%. Only thing missing is the video recording, I think. But until it's ready, I'll stick to Gingerbread.

But it shouldn't be like this. I should be getting ICS, from day one, in an untouched version, unlike the mess I got, it feels raped by Samsung, literally.

you're doing it wrong :), ICS is fantastic. but that being said you need to seek out which ROM works best for your device. Unfortunately to get the latest on Android you really have to be a hacker. I was on CM7 for my Galaxy S phone until recently I tried CodeName Android after trying ths grou's version of ICS, which was good, but a lot of missing pieces. CNA (CodeName Android) is really fast, stable and has recently pushed out the last real hurtle which was non working sms on some handsets, it looks like it's all fixed now for all their supported phones, you should check if your phone model is supported and try it out. by far the best version of android to date.

too bad I have to rely on xda and rootzwiki to keep me updated instead of my phone manufacturer, but to be fair they don't have any incentive to get me the new OS, they rather I go out and BUY a galaxy nexus with ICS instead of loading ICS on an old Galaxy S phone.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

It blows. Hard.

The joy of the phone makers having no incentive to upgrade your phone OS. They would rather you buy a new phone (giving them more money) than to give you something for free.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
you're doing it wrong :), ICS is fantastic. but that being said you need to seek out which ROM works best for your device. Unfortunately to get the latest on Android you really have to be a hacker. I was on CM7 for my Galaxy S phone until recently I tried CodeName Android after trying ths grou's version of ICS, which was good, but a lot of missing pieces. CNA (CodeName Android) is really fast, stable and has recently pushed out the last real hurtle which was non working sms on some handsets, it looks like it's all fixed now for all their supported phones, you should check if your phone model is supported and try it out. by far the best version of android to date.

too bad I have to rely on xda and rootzwiki to keep me updated instead of my phone manufacturer, but to be fair they don't have any incentive to get me the new OS, they rather I go out and BUY a galaxy nexus with ICS instead of loading ICS on an old Galaxy S phone.

We are talking about the same thing, CNA is AOSP and you can bet I would be alright with it. The really disgusting thing is Samsung's official ICS ROM. It feels like Gingerbread stuck on top of ICS. It's even worse in some regards.

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Still running 4.1

so many people i know are still on iOS 4.1 or something with a billion app updates waiting to be installed. it always baffles my mind why it doesnt bother them ^^

Well actually some users like myself are still running 4.1 on my iPhone 3GS and have no intention of upgrading. I've seen the potential of running 5.0 on a 3rd Generation iPhone and it's not what I would like to experience in having my phone moving to a crawl. P.S. and guy sits not because I'm jail broken lol. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.