Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer digital downloads or physical discs or physical cartridges?

• I prefer the physical disc (example PS4, XB1)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I prefer the physical cartridge (example Switch, 3DS)

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I prefer digital downloads (example, Nintendo eShop, Playstation store, Steam)

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Either is fine by me, I have no preference

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I almost always buy Physical Disc, and voted that way.

With physical, I feel more like I actually own the game and I like seeing my stack of games lined up in a row. But it really comes down to price. Games are generally much cheaper physical, especially considering resale/trade-in value.

However, I'm starting to dip my toe into buying digital. With on-line only multiplayer games like Battlefront and Overwatch, it's more convenient having digital to switch between games when I have a hankering for a quick match. These types of games require PSN to play, so in that sense, digital also makes more sense.

If digital games were priced more competitively with physical games, or more like Steam PC games, I'd probably buy way more digital for the convenience. I hope that day comes soon.

Reactions: tshrimp

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've since changed my mind on this topic. Since the disc is loaded anyway I prefer the convenience of not having to get up and load a disc to switch games.

If it saved me HDD space by having the physical copy I would likely prefer that.

I like not having to worry about scratching or breaking a disc too.

I know I run the risk of not being able to get the game one day but with the way physical copies are handled on consoles I'm not overly confident those will even work forever.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have found very cheap deals on disc vs digital but even then I prefer to buy digitally. Just makes life so much easier with multiple consoles in different rooms and the ease of access is fantastic and not loading or storing discs.

Digital all the way.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Between PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U, I own about 60 games. All but 5 are digital. The convenience is the biggest factor for me. I either buy a game on release (in which case the price is the same either way) or try to wait until PSN or XBL is running a sale on a game I want.

Reactions: cynics

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Agreed. I can at least make some profit
By re-selling the physical copy, which I have been successful in doing with competitive prices.
Same here. I buy new releases on Amazon Prime for $48 then sell the game back to Amazon Trade In for around $30 or so.... so $18 for a few weeks entertainment. With digital you are usually out the entire $60 (XBox One). I do go digital if it is something like a MP game I know I will want to keep and play for a long time like a COD game or something.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Same here. I buy new releases on Amazon Prime for $48 then sell the game back to Amazon Trade In for around $30 or so.... so $18 for a few weeks entertainment. With digital you are usually out the entire $60 (XBox One). I do go digital if it is something like a MP game I know I will want to keep and play for a long time like a COD game or something.

Agreed. What I typically do is sell a bundle of games for a large sum. Seems to work for those who appreciate multiple titles.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I used to be CD's only but as storage space is becoming an issue, I can see myself moving only to Digital but I would have to drop consoles and move to PC games/Steam.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Don't digital games mean also they can be played in the next console?

For example, Xbox One digital games can be played on Scorpio.

Has Sony confirmed this can also happen with PS5 in the future?

If so, then digital games are more worth it. Discs won't work on every new system.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't digital games mean also they can be played in the next console?

For example, Xbox One digital games can be played on Scorpio.

Has Sony confirmed this can also happen with PS5 in the future?

If so, then digital games are more worth it. Discs won't work on every new system.

Depends how you view it. Disks are worth it when you add re-sell value. Where as digital download, it's on your console and is transferable from one to another. For example, the PS4 games are transferable to the PS4 Pro. However, Sony hasn't confirmed anything about the PlayStation 5 or downloadable content.

I do feel that discs will ultimately be obsolete. I think hard drives will increase In capacity, with how consuming these games are becoming for downloading and software updates.

My guess, is perhaps the PS5 will not include an optical drive. It seems more and more, downloadable content is being pushed for these consoles. Similar in circumstances how consoles are no longer using audio video cables and everything is HDMI now.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I do feel that discs will ultimately be obsolete. I think hard drives will increase In capacity, with how consuming these games are becoming for downloading and software updates.

Given the hobbyist nature of games I don't think physical media will go away entirely. I think that even in years to come you'll be able to get them on memory cards at the very least, much like vinyl today.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Given the hobbyist nature of games I don't think physical media will go away entirely. I think that even in years to come you'll be able to get them on memory cards at the very least, much like vinyl today.
If MS would make the price closer, I might be willing to give up the trade-in value for the convenience, but they have not done that. For example, right now I can get Final Fantasy XV for $39 on Amazon and the MS digital download is still $59.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If MS would make the price closer, I might be willing to give up the trade-in value for the convenience, but they have not done that. For example, right now I can get Final Fantasy XV for $39 on Amazon and the MS digital download is still $59.
They need to be so much more dynamic in adjusting their prices! Same for everyone really. The most 'on the ball' pricing I've seen was when The Last Guardian went on sale for £30 around Christmas in the shops, and Sony matched the PSN price soon after. That=applied to all games would be lovely.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have been trying to declutter my personal stuff for awhile now, so digital is how I buy all the new Xbox one games I own. I still have disks for the Xbox 360 games, and if a backwards compatible game I have on disc geso on sale for a low price (lets say $5) I will purchase the digital version.

I really wish Microsoft had a disc to digital conversion program (at least for backwards compatible games) where we could mail a disc and for $5 they would put it on our digital account.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah but it would be really terrible paying for 15 disc games you really live in the PS4 and then sell then and find out that the PS5 is compatible with the digital versions if you had bought them.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I actually prefer physical media. But It's obvious where digital content is leading and it's not Just in the gaming industry.

The PS5 is likely three/four years out. That said, it's difficult to say where it will lead. None the less, Hitman is the perfect example for the PS4. They tested the waters with releasing their game for digital download only and then canceled their release for a hard copy release. I believe more companies will Follow. Time will tell though.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Been buying exclusively digital lately. It's more convenient and more quiet (disc drive noise). And the sales have good prices if you wait a couple of months after launch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Been buying exclusively digital lately. It's more convenient and more quiet (disc drive noise). And the sales have good prices if you wait a couple of months after launch.

Good point. It is less drive noise and digital downloads is just becoming quicker and easier in some respects. I enjoy physical disks, but I do believe digital download will be the future.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Right around Christmas I bought Hitman for €30 and Dark Souls 3 for €25 on PSN. All without ever getting up from my couch, and I can switch between games without juggling discs and don't have to deal with disc drive noises. Not being able to sell on my games is a fair trade-off.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Right around Christmas I bought Hitman for €30 and Dark Souls 3 for €25 on PSN. All without ever getting up from my couch, and I can switch between games without juggling discs and don't have to deal with disc drive noises. Not being able to sell on my games is a fair trade-off.
The digital sales make digital a no-brainer.

However without the sales often the digital game can be very overpriced compared to how cheap you can often pick up games from Amazon.

COD Infinite £59.99 PSN - Amazon £21.99

However if you just look at price in say GameStop (full RRP) and compare the to digital, digital becomes valid price wise again.

I am buying more digital than ever before but only when price difference is on the favour to physical or if I do not have anything to trade at GameStop ;) ...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
One exception I would always make is games that I'd want to occasionally bring to someone else's house for local multiplayer fun (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Sports Games, Trackmania). Those are good to have on disc to carry with you.

But since I almost exclusively play single player games, this is rarely an issue.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I used to prefer disc so I could "own" them, sell, trade, etc.

However, I got rid of my XB1 a while back. I am now getting a bit more free time at home, so I am considering an XB1. And the nice thing is, I can pick up a used one for £150. And still have the games that I bought via digital download.

So £150 to get a used one, and get several games with it. If ALL my games were physical copies, I'd have to go out and buy them again.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Disc/cartridge. (I prefer having the physical copy of content.)

Hardware might fail, content might be removed from online libraries, DRM policies might change, etc.

With a physical product it's just simpler and sometimes cheaper.

Reactions: JohnGrey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.