Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer digital downloads or physical discs or physical cartridges?

• I prefer the physical disc (example PS4, XB1)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I prefer the physical cartridge (example Switch, 3DS)

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I prefer digital downloads (example, Nintendo eShop, Playstation store, Steam)

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Either is fine by me, I have no preference

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So what's your preferred method to getting games.
I can see the logic in getting a physical disk, as the content doesn't full consume the internal storage and you can easily resell.

On the other hand, if you have fast storage, the experience may be a bit better and you don't need to keep a pile of disks around that can get scratched

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I only buy physical games for my xbox one. Has more value to me as I can exchange or sell it used. The fast storage experience you mention has never been an issue with disks for me. I just can't pay $60 for a game I can never resell or gift later on. That could be easily a loss of $20 to $30 per game depending how long after release I decide to sell.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Eh, I can see the benefit of both.

Digital appeals to my laziness. Switching between games without getting up and juggling discs is really nice! Also, PSN has good sales sometimes, and it's fun to just pull the trigger and start playing right away (after the download).

Discs have other advantages though. Sometimes I do sell games I don't use anymore. Also, there are games you sometimes want to bring to a friend's house or a party for some multiplayer fun.

Last edited:

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I'm kinda torn between the two.

I like paying to buy something physical, plus I can sell it again if I tire of it.

I'm starting to buy more digital titles, however, as sometimes they're just straight up cheaper.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am all digital at this point for a few reasons and this helps my gaming needs.

• My backlog is humongous
  • I only buy games that are 50% or more from original price usually from XB Store or PSN
  • XB has had insanely amazing deals on games including backwards compatible games I never got to on the 360
  • PS+ also has provided a ton of discounts on AAA games or top titles I never played in my backlog
  • I love having access to the games instantly as I have 2 XBs in my house and seamlessly play across both
Thats my case in point in how I became all digital. Will be exploring external HD soon as I will be getting pretty close on all devices soon.

Reactions: h9826790 and dgr874

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Collector here so physical copies all-the-way.

(I voted for either way)

Though, there are some great games that won't ever make it to physical due to size or costs, so I have started downloading those games.

Mobile stuff - downloads is easier to manage (wish sometimes I had a certain DS/3DS game with me but it's at home...)

This has been discussed before, but I was thinking of starting a new thread on it with E3 and console redesigns and updates around the corner.

If you have any reviews on Download-Only games, please post here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/console-download-only-games-review-news.1945764/

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I have an xb1 and I have gone all digital and never looked back. I love the convenience of digital games.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I like physical better because it's like I have the game in my own hands. Digital just means that it's just some software installed on a hard drive. But yeah, sure it is easier to manage but it doesn't change much. And I'm a collector so I like to have everything in physical form.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I buy the 'cheapest' version whether that is digital or disc :) I haven't gone down the route of buying any of these 'primary accounts' that seem to filling up eBay listings of new games.

Reactions: s0nicpr0s

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I really don't care but I've basically gone full digital on the PS4 and disc on Xbox. I honestly don't need anymore game cases in my house..I have a whole book shelf dedicated to it and everytime my girlfriend come over I see it in her eyes she wants to burn them.

Bless

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Interesting how people seem to be sliding into the I don't care, or digital only category. I guess I'm in the middle. At first I thought I'd like the disk, so in the future I'd sell them, once they're done but looking at my PS3 and a drawer full of games that I don't play. I can see that is simply not the case.

The issues that keep me from fully embracing digital, is my internet speed, i.e., takes a while for me to download several gigabytes, and filling up my storage. I used up most of my 500GB hard drive (have since upgraded to a 960SSD), because I had downloaded, Star Wars, Wolfenstein (both old blood and the new one), Batman, Destiny and a couple of other nondescript games. I can see myself running into that situation again. Either delete the games I no longer play or risk filling up my drive.

Reactions: zOne31

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Interesting how people seem to be sliding into the I don't care, or digital only category. I guess I'm in the middle. At first I thought I'd like the disk, so in the future I'd sell them, once they're done but looking at my PS3 and a drawer full of games that I don't play. I can see that is simply not the case.

The issues that keep me from fully embracing digital, is my internet speed, i.e., takes a while for me to download several gigabytes, and filling up my storage. I used up most of my 500GB hard drive (have since upgraded to a 960SSD), because I had downloaded, Star Wars, Wolfenstein (both old blood and the new one), Batman, Destiny and a couple of other nondescript games. I can see myself running into that situation again. Either delete the games I no longer play or risk filling up my drive.

I'm running into that issue and I upgraded to 2TB !! :(

What i do like about Xbox One digital downloads is that I can easily turn a physical copy into a downloaded copy, which I have done a few times (trading in the physical copy to gamestop at a higher price than the cost of the digital on sale) and it only takes to download a small patch to convert the physical edition to fully digital.

Whereas on PSN, if you have a physical copy and want to switch to digital, you have to actually uninstall the disc copy completely and re-download the entirety of the game + patches all over again.... That is a complete stupid mess.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
What i do like about Xbox One digital downloads is that I can easily turn a physical copy into a downloaded copy, which I have done a few times (trading in the physical copy to gamestop at a higher price than the cost of the digital on sale) and it only takes to download a small patch to convert the physical edition to fully digital.

Wow, I had no idea that was possible. That's pretty awesome!

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
For console I prefer discs just because they're often cheaper that way and when I'm done for good with the game I can trade it for store credit towards my next game. I do grab digital games if they're priced better though, but it's rare.

Reactions: 617aircav

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It depends for me. I play games long after release, and I imagine I'd like to do the same with current games in the far future.

Games like Splatoon, Star Wars Battlefront, etc I prefer buying online. I can simply fire them up one after the other without moving. And years later when their respective download services are down then so will their complete functionality.

Modern classics like Doom 4, Mario 3D World, Pokemon games and stuff like that I get physical copies of. Short of broken consoles all those games will play just fine down the road.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
.Modern classics like Doom 4.

Is the new Doom a classic ??! I actually got so fed up with the monotony last night that I deleted it from my Xbox One HDD. I had got far into the game (got the BFG) but the repetition, the monotony and lack of any compelling character / narrative to make up for the previous two (repetitious monotony) just made me give up. I simply had no desire to see the end or play any more of it.

I had the same reaction to Halo 5 Guardians which was likewise repetitious monotony in game form....

Very disappointed and can not understand the glowing reviews at all.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
For me I just love the insane amount of deals that XB is throwing our way with weekly deals with Gold and being a huge back log gamer, it works out perfect for me to grab all of these huge titles at 50% or more for me to stash later on.

What is the consensus external HD that everyone is using around here? I am not close but getting there on both consoles. I have heard good things about Westgate but I have personally never owned or know much about these.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me I just love the insane amount of deals that XB is throwing our way with weekly deals with Gold and being a huge back log gamer, it works out perfect for me to grab all of these huge titles at 50% or more for me to stash later on.

What is the consensus external HD that everyone is using around here? I am not close but getting there on both consoles. I have heard good things about Westgate but I have personally never owned or know much about these.

On my XB1 I actually use the 2TB Seagate Xbox One HDD. Works great.

game-drive-for-xbox-2TB-ww-pkg-570x300.jpg

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is the new Doom a classic ??! I actually got so fed up with the monotony last night that I deleted it from my Xbox One HDD. I had got far into the game (got the BFG) but the repetition, the monotony and lack of any compelling character / narrative to make up for the previous two (repetitious monotony) just made me give up. I simply had no desire to see the end or play any more of it.

I had the same reaction to Halo 5 Guardians which was likewise repetitious monotony in game form....

Very disappointed and can not understand the glowing reviews at all.
I'm still really torn on it, but my own definition for "classic" is a game that I'm going to keep going back to, that others are probably going to copy. There's so much I'd do to improve it - but I still managed to play through from start to finish. Maybe the first PS4 game that I've done so with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.