Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Having owned a number of Apple desktops ( A PM G3, PM G4, 2 PMG5s, G5 iMac, 2011 iMac, Brand new iMac ). And a bunch of laptops.

I don't think Ive ever even opened half the keyboards or mice. Because they are complete junk, more for style than usability.

Maybe its just me, but I find their keyboard to small, to cramped, no function keys, to low to the ground, and to flimsy feeling for long term use, always get another keyboard for all my macs.

Mice? From the Hockey puck to the mighty mouse, to the new trackpads, I find them unusable as well.

Does anyone here use them? Or do you swap them out for something decent from Logitech or Microsoft?

138404-usbmouse_original.jpg

M7803.jpg

M9270.jpg

Old_Apple_Mighty_Mouse_1.JPG

Apple_magic_mouse.jpg

apple-imac-27-e5.jpg

mouse-big.jpg

magic-trackpad.jpg

2012-11-27-apple_macintosh_plus_mouse.jpeg

I feel like Apples mice and keyboards are the one thing they've never gotten right.

Nearly every machine I have has one of these for a keyboard, runs about 60 dollars, and for me it works great.

123241-2312p094-1b.jpg

I find it much more roomy and comfy than any Apple Keyboard I've owned

Last edited:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I love their keyboards. The action feels perfect to me.

I don't love their mice, but don't hate them either. I have an old Microsoft trackball that is perfect so I have been using that for 15 years and I have never found anther as functional or comfortable for how I use a computer.

The magic track pad though us pretty cool. Not for me but it seems really well built when. Have tried it out.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I love both the tiny aluminum wireless keyboard & the Magic mouse. The keyboard feels great to me, even better than the Apple keyboard in the plexiglass tray --which I thought was fantastic when I switched from Windows. At the time the Apple pro mouse was a big adjustment and I really hated it in the beginning.

I had a PowerBook for a brief time and the keyboard felt so fluid, the newest aluminum keyboard sort of reminds me of it.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I love the current Macbook keyboards and the wireless keyboard. For my PC I use a logitech illuminated keyboard which has a very low profile too. I don't use the numpad so I don't miss it. Function keys seemed exciting when I bought my first microsoft keyboard but honestly, I even got too lazy to set the proper applications for browsers, media players etc. as I just did not use them.

With mice, I've been less lucky with Apple. I bought a Magic Mouse and tried hard to get used to it - I love the gestures, that part worked well, but the low profile causes a pain in my hand, I need a mouse where I can rest my hand on as opposed to "hovering above it". I hate it, the concept is great - but with only one extreme execution (as in ultra-low profile) Apple is limiting it's success.

I tried the Puck Mouse, someone at the old office had one, it was funny. Didn't really like the Mighty Mouse either.

Edit: I use the trackpad a lot instead of the mouse when I hook up the Macbook Pro to the iMac's screen. Love it.

Right now I have about 5 or 6 Microsoft Wireless Mouse 6000 spread across the house, they are perfect for me - now please with Bluetooth and I'll be happy forever...

mk_wmm6000blk_ci.jpg

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I like Mad Catz Rat. You wouldn't know it by look at them, but they are most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

I'm not as particular about my keyboards. I'll use anything that works.:D

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I use both a Magic Mouse and a Logitech G700s. The latter for gaming, while the former I have for more general use (it's more portable and the battery life is better). For my keyboard I have a Logitech K760, which I absolutely love because I never have to worry about batteries and it can sync with three devices at once!

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Never liked them, i think they are junk.

I have some wireless mice (RAT9, G700) and some nice mechanical kbs like Filco TKL (with MX Blue switches), CM Storm (with MX Green key switches) and ofcourse the IBM Model M. :cool:

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I use the Magic Mouse and the wired keyboard since I like having the numpad. I just wish they offered this model also as a wireless one.

I'm loving the magic mouse because it's so convenient when using it with BetterTouchTool.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
The BT wireless keyboard is the best keyboard Apple has ever put out. I use one and a Logitech trackpad.

The BT wireless keyboard is 100x better than the 2011 MBP keyboard, mainly cause it has a lot less travel and not as spongy

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I use the wired keyboard and BT trackpad on my old iMac. I gave up my Logitech MX Rev for the trackpad (actually, I brought it to work and use it at the office).

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I use the wired keyboard and BT trackpad on my old iMac. I gave up my Logitech MX Rev for the trackpad (actually, I brought it to work and use it at the office).

I thought I was the only one who did that I just get mice for work because the one they give me are crap and "I don't like it" generally will not get thing bought.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I attempted to use the magic mouse that came with my iMac but couldn't deal with it so I just use my Performance MX. As for the keyboard, I actually like Apple's keyboards though there are some that are much better out there.

Why Apple cannot make a good mouse (In the history of ever) is beyond me. It might be because they are too obsessed with thinness instead of simple ergonomics.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I love their keyboards. The action feels perfect to me.

They look nice, and feel nice, but the action is exactly why I don't like Apple keyboards, they feel really " mushy " in comparison to most logitech and microsoft keyboards, it feels like theirs no action or substance to them.

Every Apple Keyboard I've used since the original iMac keyboard has that same mush feel to it.

Then as far as mice goes, 1 button just doesn't cut it for me. I've tried out the track pad, can't get used to it,

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Why do folks still want to complain about one-button mice?
Apple stopped offering one-button mice more than 8 years ago, when the mighty mouse was introduced. (Won't ever say that's my favorite mouse, but not one-button)
I go back and forth between a Magic mouse, and a couple of different Logitech mice, for times when I prefer wired.
Keyboards, it doesn't matter, I can take or leave 'em, but the once or twice a year when I do a lot of typing - I pull out an Apple ADB EKII. Found it for free, and I don't want to spend $ on a Mathias :D

LuxoDave

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
I am happy with the Logitech M510 mouse and K750 keyboard with my Mac mini.

Trackpad and built in keyboard on rMBP.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
My first Mac was an early Mac Pro and it has the acrylic keyboard that I liked for the most part. It did take getting used to but worked for me after about a week. The latest keyboard Mac offers is my favourite keyboard next to (for those that remember) the Northgate 101 Omni ultra keyboard.

As for cursor control - I have been a long fan and remain one (for both PC and Mac) of the Kensington trackball. I am left handed but use cursor control with my right hand for years now and trackball by far gives me excellent control.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Why do folks still want to complain about one-button mice?
Apple stopped offering one-button mice more than 8 years ago, when the mighty mouse was introduced. (Won't ever say that's my favorite mouse, but not one-button)
I go back and forth between a Magic mouse, and a couple of different Logitech mice, for times when I prefer wired.
Keyboards, it doesn't matter, I can take or leave 'em, but the once or twice a year when I do a lot of typing - I pull out an Apple ADB EKII. Found it for free, and I don't want to spend $ on a Mathias :D

The magic mouse is still essentially a one button mouse, it doesn't have any tactical response, which for lots of people get super annoying.

I always found it amusing, that ever since I started buying my Macs new in college ( back in 99 ), the Apple store always seems to recommend its selection of Logitech mice over its own lol.

For me, I perfer a big laptop and a big keyboard, probably because I have pretty big hands,

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Always favored....

the design and ergonomics of Apple mice. Keyboards, I like and use too. But any company makes mistakes: "the puck mouse" original from the G3s era was abhorrent....:eek:

I always go for Apple hardware in this field. Only when I work heavily in mixed enviroments (PCs or another computers plus Macs) I prefer the generic or PC solutions.

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.