Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
God no. Can't stand their current keyboards or mice.

I use a Das Keyboard mechanical keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I do not run any of their mice or keyboards.

They lack ergonomics and are just uncomfortable for me after extended use.

For me I have HP and Microsoft Keyboards and 1 Microsoft mouse/1 Logitech mouse.

This one being my favorite mouse when it comes to ergo: Logitech M510

81iyq-yRwKL._SL1500_.jpg

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't like the feel of the current Apple keyboards. I'm currently using a dasKeyboard mechanical keyboard with a Mac layout.

As for the mouse, I'm currently using a Logitech G600.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Being left-handed excludes me from enjoying most of the ergonomic mice that many righties enjoy. I have to settle for something ambidextrous, or a track pad. When I first bought my iMac I immediately sold the magic mouse - tried it for a week and just couldn't get into using it. I bought a track pad because my previous mac, a MBP, had one and I loved it. But... I ended up taking it back as well, because I couldn't justify $70 for it.

I've gone back and forth between 3rd party keyboards and the Apple ones, but ended up with an Apple wired keyboard. I really like the chicklet feel of their keyboards - it feels crisp - but always hated the bluetooth delay of a BT keyboard. That initial tap to wake it up, I could never discern whether or not it was going to pick it up or not, so I almost always had to retype my passwords twice, and it got annoying. There's a few times when I sort of wish I had a slightly thicker keyboard, but for the most part I really enjoy it.

As for the mouse... I ended up with another magic mouse after buying a 2nd iMac and decided to give it a second chance. I actually run with 2 mice: a wired Razer mouse for gaming (it's quite old and I'll probably replace it in the next year or two) and then the magic mouse for casual use. With the magic mouse, I like the gestures and the easy swiping when using Aperture and such; makes horizontal scrolling really easy. I don't like that sometimes gestures are inadvertently triggered and I lose focus on what I was doing because the mouse false-positive'd on my finger hovering just over the mouse. So it's hit and miss. I've gotten to where I move back and forth between the two mice rather seamlessly. It does require that I re-learn how I hold the mouse since it's smaller and more low profile, and sometimes it's gratifying to switch back to the razer and have a full-sized mouse in my hand that I can palm.

If I could pick up a track pad for inexpensive, or trade someone a track pad for the magic mouse, I think I would. I'd use the track pad for casual use and the wired mouse for gaming or when I just miss having a mouse. Either way I don't think I'd be happy settling for just one or the other, and there's really no need to.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Apple has always made some of the best keyboards. In my almost 30 years of computing, I don’t think I’ve used or tried any 3rd party keyboard that can top what Apple creates. The current Bluetooth keyboard is amazing. It’s solid, sturdy, the keys feel really good. I currently use the Magic Trackpad. I love it! Apple’s mice are hit or miss. But most of them are decent. The Mighty Mouse was awesome…if the scroll ball didn’t always get clogged, I would be using it all the time. I was not a fan of how the “hockey puck” mouse felt. I like the current Magic Mouse functionality but it is too flat for my comfort.

So, overall, Apple makes the best keyboards and, sometimes, good mice. There’s no need to ever use a 3rd party keyboard with a Mac. 3rd party mice may be a personal preference.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I've always liked Apple keyboards but not use the mice they make. Although the Logitech K750 is pretty close and I like that it's solar powered.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm not really too fussy, and I personally find the wireless keyboard to be the best I've ever used.

I like the Magic Mouse, too, but whenever I'm doing more serious work I usually switch to the Mighty Mouse as it just seems a little more precise when scrolling.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Love the Magic Mouse and BT keyboard. I use both regularly (tho the mouse is exclusively for browsing and gaming, I use my Cintiq for work).

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I wouldn't say I love - but I like Apple's USB keyboard - especially the way it looks. I also like and use their Magic Trackpad. I have tried using Apple's mouse before but I thought it sucked - especially when you see how much it costs.

I now use the Magic Trackpad for all my Mac OS X usage and then use a cheap Dynex wireless mouse that I bought many years ago for Windows usage - especially gaming. I plan on eventually upgrading my mouse - maybe to this once it's released http://steelseries.com/us/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-wireless - but right now the $20 Dynex gets the job done.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I am not a fan of Apple mice and keyboards.

When I was writing my PhD thesis, I suddenly, one day, just couldn't type properly on the flatish Apple keyboard that came with my Mac Pro. Its certanly not a bad keyboard though but the cheap Dell one at my office is better IMO for extended typing.

I bought a Das Keyboard mechanical keyboard for my home Mac and never looked back. Every click is an event.

As for mice, I don't think I have ever used an Apple mouse since I touched the unholy hockey mouse.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Nope.
Been using a Kensington wireless keyboard and mouse for over 6 years. Got a new imac 2 months ago and still use the Kensington.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

I use and like the small wired keyboard (now discontinued). It fits in well on my desk and with my needs. I find the USB ports useful from time to time.

I have mixed feelings about the wireless version, and the Magic Mouse. In use I like them, but I prefer wired peripherals. A basic Logitech mouse is just fine.

I had the old plastic Apple keyboard, but didn't really warm to it. I never liked the Mighty Mouse, and have never owned one. Trackpads do nothing for me.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Without a doubt Apple mice & keyboards are the worst I've ever used. Any Apple mouse I've got has gone straight into the waste bin. Horrible. Logitech absolutely rules in this area, nobody is even close.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I love the current wired keyboard, but they've never made a mouse I could stand. If I am on a Macbook the trackpad/touchpad is surpassed by no other that i've ever used.

Zyiros

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Apple has great hardware. I would use an Apple mouse and keyboard any day over competitor products…if I could afford them.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
yes to both

but I prefer the wired keyboard and am currently using the old wired mouse since the bluetooth on my 2010 iMac can be non-responsive.

I might switch mice eventually whenever I get a new machine.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I like how the thin Apple keyboards are a little less sensitive to crumbs and whiskers and other grot building up inside the. And the action has never been an issue for me.

But, as phrehdd said, a trackball is much nicer than any mouse. I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose a mouse when they could have a trackball.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I use whatever MacBook keyboard is on the device and hated them at first. My favorite keyboard is the old PowerBook ones. Those just felt perfect. I'm used to the MacBook keyboard now but I still make too many mistakes on it.

For a tracking device I use a magic trackpad and love that thing. Perfect feel and the gestures make OS X Lion to Mavericks useable.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
The magic mouse is the most perfect mouse I have ever used. :apple:

I really like the newer keyboards too. Older stuff not so much though.

ManhattanBeach

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I've always opted for a logitech product over mac, as far as keyboard/mouse are concerned.

I wonder if Mac will ever invest the time and energy that they put into their other products in a mouse.

Also.. how many years til we don't even need mouses??

My guess is 10 til they are fully obsolete.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For the most part, I've always used apple keyboards and mice. The design of them goes well aesthetically but functionally as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.