Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
You said "So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... "

You mean it's not worth it to TEST BETA SOFTWARE if it doesn't fully work?

This happens every time a new version of OS X is released, a dev copy is leaked and people like you install it (or you install a beta copy not understanding what a beta actually is), then complain about it not working and switch back. Most times, you're smart and have backed stuff up, but then the hanger-ons see what you're doing and try it without backing up and then bitch and moan.

You did something you know you shouldn't have, told us, and then said it wasn't worth it. What was the point of YOUR comment? To tell us beta software wasn't ready? No ****.

Ok, you're right. There, everyone knows.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
shouldn't the beta go into is own partition so you can play with it...but always get back to Mavericks?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With this being a beta I wasn't expecting much at all. The design is awesome and most of the features Apple showed yesterday are not available yet. There is a ton of lag but again I was expecting this. The thing I wasn't expecting is how HOT my machine now runs. My MacBook Pro Retina's fan now come on all the time. Even doing simple tasks like web surfing. With mavericks the fans NEVER came on.

So I'm also facing a fresh install of Mavericks. But after another beta or 2 comes out I'll update to 10.10 again & continue testing
It isn't at beta level, yet. It is DP1.

----------

shouldn't the beta go into is own partition so you can play with it...but always get back to Mavericks?

To be safe, yes. Unfortunately, many people don't back up first, much less create a test partition. Then they complain when they have to reinstall Mavericks and start fresh.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Unfortunately I have a feeling this release is going to be the worst with a monstrous number of complaints before the actual release this fall. The DP leaked almost instantly and a lot of people are going to think its a "sneak peak" install it illegally then complain it broke their system. I also think the public beta is a terrible idea and its going to be a PR nightmare because people rant going to understand what they signed up for/installed. I foresee a lot of "Apple should have warned me when I stole this DP that it was going to break my system, they should reimburse me for all the stuff I lost, what a terrible product."

Its funny you used to need a work around to install a new OS onto a external or USB drive now it has a button "select other drive" so if people are installing it on their main drives then I have no sympathy. I personally like checking it out but its on an old Lacie IDE firewire 400 drive so Im not really worried about it.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm faced with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

It looks awesome, but iMovie does not run (strike 1), Aperture becomes just about unusable (strike 2), and Printopia is not supported (Strike 3). Finally my computer stopped booting all together.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

Did you install 10.10 on your work Mac?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I installed it on my primary home Mac. (My work has a Windows XP box and a Mavericks test MBP because we are testing a new image.)

I think it is perfectly fine to install DP1, but you need to be ready for it to totally fail. That means:

Be ready for it to hose your disk. Have well-tested backups. Preferably have a bootable clone or a secondary machine you can run things on. Have a system of ongoing backups of your files in case the system dies two days in, two days after you made your clone.

Get really good at filing bugs. You'll probably be filing a lot of them.

Have a backup plan for anything you absolutely need to do. If you know you'll need to use certain software for your job, make sure you have a way to do that if it doesn't work in the DP. If you have certain hardware you need to use, have a plan! This might or might not be running your bootable clone... A windows machine, a friend or partner's Mac could also work.

FWIW, I've found iOS previews to be much worse at breaking things without recourse than OS X. Running the preview can be very valuable: you can start to understand the new direction of the OS and the features so that you can shape future development and adoption within your organization. But for your own sanity, be ready for it to completely fail on your device.

jpu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014
With this being a beta I wasn't expecting much at all. The design is awesome and most of the features Apple showed yesterday are not available yet. There is a ton of lag but again I was expecting this. The thing I wasn't expecting is how HOT my machine now runs. My MacBook Pro Retina's fan now come on all the time. Even doing simple tasks like web surfing. With mavericks the fans NEVER came on.

So I'm also facing a fresh install of Mavericks. But after another beta or 2 comes out I'll update to 10.10 again & continue testing

WHOA!!! I experienced this too! I thought it might've been just because I had just installed it and it was doing optimization stuff. I ended up getting rid of my Yosemite partition but I remember what you are describing.

It felt like the fans started up every time I launched an app! Even messages or mail.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
WHOA!!! I experienced this too! I thought it might've been just because I had just installed it and it was doing optimization stuff. I ended up getting rid of my Yosemite partition but I remember what you are describing.

It felt like the fans started up every time I launched an app! Even messages or mail.

What Mac are you using?

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I'm actually surprised by how smooth this beta has been. I'm running it on an external drive, and I've encountered few issues (an annoying one being that I often can't type my password when waking from sleep, forcing a hard restart).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Has anyone tried it in VMWare? I am thinking about trying it on VMWare when public beta is available.

I'm running the DP in VMWare right now. I can only say that I hope it's a lot better when actually installed in a non-VM environment. I'm going to try to tweak the VM for better results, but right now that's on the back burner for me.

GBinLondon

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
You can restore back to Mavericks without losing stuff

I installed 10.10 on a MacBook Air I use for development, but I decided it needed a few more betas before I could do any development. I did an Internet Restore (alt-cmd R) and chose the option to reinstall OS X. First I did a complete back-up.
As it turned out, the back-up was unnecessary. It restored me back to Mountain Lion without losing anything. I then reinstalled Mavericks, and everything is just as I left it before installing 10.10.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I had a similar headache. Fortunately, though Migration Assistant locked up totally (which is what caused the problem), some keyboard switching, and generally messing with stuff, I was able to revert to Mavericks and delete my test partition. Phew!

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
No one complained about anything. Your posts are just comment for the sake of comment...

Pot meet kettle? You're telling people (who should all be registered Developers) not to install a Developer Preview because some things don't work. That's actually the damn point of DP releases - to find out what is and isn't working so that it can be fixed. Your OP was not only a case of you commenting just to be heard, but completely counterintuitive and counterproductive to the goals of the DP program itself.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've heard that Yosemite makes your MacBook waterproof. I intend on testing this feature of Yosemite later today.

It's only waterproof at Yosemite Park.

You have to read the fine print.

Unfortunately my only Apple notebooks are MacBook Pros and a MacBook Air and I have not heard that those are waterproof so I am not willing to test them.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
If you intend to install 10.10 do a Time Machine backup first!

I did so and after a couple of days restored back via the boot restore option and restored for my Time Machine backup. Perfect recover right to 10.9 where I left off.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
if you don't have a retina mbp, don't install 10.10, not even in a secondary partition. it's just not worthy; they ****ed up everything with the new font thingy. I don't think they will fix it even for the GM. This os seems like the first of the OSX line for retina machines. mavericks is the new snow leopard, apparently, unfortunately.

that's the sad true.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Has the word beta lost it's meaning? You can't install a beta release and expect everything to work. If you are hell-bent on installing OS X 10.10 beta, then you should install it in a separate partition, a backup machine or within a virtual environment. Never install a beta release on a production machine, unless you like pain.

The word "beta" lost its meaning ages ago. You get some folks like Google who call something a Beta forever (Gmail, for example), you get video game companies that seem to have confused "beta" with "alpha" and send out barely functional software as a beta test, and all the while every developer treats "beta access" as a contest. Meaning "you get in there first!" rather than "this is probably broken, let us know if you're willing to give it a shot."

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Has the word beta lost it's meaning? You can't install a beta release and expect everything to work. If you are hell-bent on installing OS X 10.10 beta, then you should install it in a separate partition, a backup machine or within a virtual environment. Never install a beta release on a production machine, unless you like pain.

There's a Beta going on along side the Developer Preview? For the last time, this is NOT a Beta.. It's a Developer Preview.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
if you don't have a retina mbp, don't install 10.10, not even in a secondary partition. it's just not worthy; they ****ed up everything with the new font thingy. I don't think they will fix it even for the GM. This os seems like the first of the OSX line for retina machines. mavericks is the new snow leopard, apparently, unfortunately.

that's the sad true.

Actually, that's you opinion and nothing more. The computers that were used in the WWDC Keynote were not Retina models, nor were the images on screen behind the presenters. Apple can't design "retina-only" UIs when the majority of their current lineup doesn't even have a retina display, let alone the installed userbase as a whole.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
Actually, that's you opinion and nothing more. The computers that were used in the WWDC Keynote were not Retina models, nor were the images on screen behind the presenters. Apple can't design "retina-only" UIs when the majority of their current lineup doesn't even have a retina display, let alone the installed userbase as a whole.

hahahahahahahahahahhaha, of course that it's just my opinion. you must be a genious.

You can consider the imac screen a retina one on the practical side, and anyways, apple, of course, they can design retina only UI, in fact, they just did!!! it means more money for them due to programmed obsolescence.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
hahahahahahahahahahhaha, of course that it's just my opinion. you must be a genious.

You can consider the imac screen a retina one on the practical side, and anyways, apple, of course, they can design retina only UI, in fact, they just did!!! it means more money for them due to programmed obsolescence.

You can't consider the iMac screen "Retina" Now you're just making up crap in an attempt to justify your opinion as "fact." I see you completely ignored the fact that they weren't demoing Yosemite on Retina screens at WWDC - but I guess that's because it proves you wrong and you can't accept that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I was concerned about all this retina hoopla, but I think it's quite legible on my Air.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I'm using it as my main OS, only because I'm adventurous.

All my apps work (with FCP having a work-around) and I have everything backed up either online or in the case of my programs, on discs/hard drives.

If I screw the computer up, I can just use Internet Recovery or my Mavericks restore disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.