Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm currently running Yosemite and I haven't had too many issues, but they are apparent. The Finder crashes occasionally, but it's not really all that bad.

Issues I have had:
  • Cannot Fast User Switch without Finder crashing
  • QuickLook on photos sometimes has the image blown up really large and cropped
  • Choppy scrolling occasionally

I honestly thought it'd be a lot worse, but for the most part it runs pretty smoothly. I wouldn't advise installing the Developer Preview until you've backed your files up!!

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I'm currently running Yosemite and I haven't had too many issues, but they are apparent. The Finder crashes occasionally, but it's not really all that bad.

Issues I have had:

I honestly thought it'd be a lot worse, but for the most part it runs pretty smoothly. I wouldn't advise installing the Developer Preview until you've backed your files up!!

Can you tell me what apps don't work for you?

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US
Can you tell me what apps don't work for you?

Not working:
Snagit 3.02 - opens but fails to capture screenshots
Outlook 2011 - opens and works fine - quick preview only shows blank pages for word docs
iTunes 11.2.2 - fails to open App Store - actually reinstalled iTunes and all ok now
Safari 8- occasionally freezes, improved once I disabled extensions
Lync 2011 - opens but fails to connect (Office 365)
iMovie 10.0.3- fails to open
Vmware 6.03 - fails to open

on rMBP Mid 2012 (10,1)

Last edited:

jamessnell

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
The installer crashes in the same way on both my Macs.. The crash report includes the message:

Code:
Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

My MacPro3,1 and my MacBookPro8,3 both die in this way. Both machines have OSX installed to a stripe raid volume. Not sure if that's actually the source of the failure.

----------

This is why Apple shouldnt do public betas :|

It's a beta. Anyone installing it should understand that doing so means there will be issues. I for one am very excited to see where they're at. And as far as I'm concerned Apple's not responsible for any weirdness, because it's very clearly a beta!

<3

Last edited:

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm face with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

It looks awesome, but iMovie does not run (strike 1), Aperture becomes just about unusable (strike 2), and Printopia is not supported (Strike 3). Finally my computer stopped booting all together.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

Clean install of 10.9 went smoothly. I'll do the same with 10.10 on a separate partition and test. test. test....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not working:
Snagit 3.02 - opens but fails to capture screenshots
Outlook 2011 - opens and works fine - quick preview only shows blank pages for word docs
iTunes 11.2.2 - fails to open App Store - actually reinstalled iTunes and all ok now
Safari 8- occasionally freezes, improved once I disabled extensions
Lync 2011 - opens but fails to connect (Office 365)
iMovie 10.0.3- fails to open
Vmware 6.03 - fails to open

on rMBP Mid 2012 (10,1)

We'd hope that guys from all those companies _do_ install OS X 10.10 as soon as possible :D

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It's a beta. Anyone installing it should understand that doing so means there will be issues. I for one am very excited to see where they're at. And as far as I'm concerned Apple's not responsible for any weirdness, because it's very clearly a beta!

And based on this thread, the OP did not realize this

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas

Issues I have had:

Probably best for now installing it on a bootable usb drive. Sure it will be a little slow booting up but its an easy way to have a look around without disrupting your daily machine.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm face with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

It looks awesome, but iMovie does not run (strike 1), Aperture becomes just about unusable (strike 2), and Printopia is not supported (Strike 3). Finally my computer stopped booting all together.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

You are braver than me.

I'm not refering to installing a beta OS...

I mean subjecting yourself to the MR peanut gallary in order to educate people about the risks of installing beta software.

In all seriousness: well done. The reality is a lot of people don't know the risks and posts like this may help some stop and think minute before installing.

E.g., someone in the middle of taking a class may want to wait until after all papers are turned in and finals are done. Some may be inspired to clone their machine before-hand or use a separate hard drive, etc.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This is why Apple shouldnt do public betas :|

Yes and no..

Apple shouldn't do public betas, because when it happens customers will see it as some kind of 'early access' programme, install it, and complain when it doesn't work. If people are installing developer previews on their main Mac, they certainly will install the beta likewise.

On the other hand, a public beta will help expose issues like this before the general release, that's the purpose of them.

BobertKennedy

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Has the word beta lost it's meaning? You can't install a beta release and expect everything to work. If you are hell-bent on installing OS X 10.10 beta, then you should install it in a separate partition, a backup machine or within a virtual environment. Never install a beta release on a production machine, unless you like pain.

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
also, it seems that Yosemite on older Macs, older than 2011, have a super sluggish UI experience... confirmed in an other thread... just be aware of that for now.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
You mean...?

I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm faced with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

You mean an admitted beta doesn't work properly? The beta that every developer ever warns normal people NOT to install on work machines?

You mean THAT beta?

Duh.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Sure

Thanks for your insightful input.

Apparently the message wasn't getting across.

If you're going to be a beta tester, BE A BETA TESTER AND don't complain publicly about what doesn't work, just report it like beta testers are supposed to.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
Apparently the message wasn't getting across.

If you're going to be a beta tester, BE A BETA TESTER AND don't complain publicly about what doesn't work, just report it like beta testers are supposed to.

No one complained about anything. Your posts are just comment for the sake of comment...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

No one complained about anything. Your posts are just comment for the sake of comment...

You said "So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... "

You mean it's not worth it to TEST BETA SOFTWARE if it doesn't fully work?

This happens every time a new version of OS X is released, a dev copy is leaked and people like you install it (or you install a beta copy not understanding what a beta actually is), then complain about it not working and switch back. Most times, you're smart and have backed stuff up, but then the hanger-ons see what you're doing and try it without backing up and then bitch and moan.

You did something you know you shouldn't have, told us, and then said it wasn't worth it. What was the point of YOUR comment? To tell us beta software wasn't ready? No ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.