Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Glad to see yet again another country willing to try something that the US can't be bothered to.

This has become the country of "no", "afraid of change", and "death grip on your purse strings" in regard to so many attempts at major advancement, it makes it look from a macroeconomic standpoint like we've been on a downward slide since about 1972.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
With our politicians bought and paid for by the unions, this plan would never take hold, let alone even be considered, in the good old USA

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
It's nothing to new just a different device. We used apple computer in the 80's for many classes to learn. Not all and there is something nice about "good" books. I hope they never go away. But to be able to tote an iPad around would be great. Back in the day we used to knock the books out of peoples hands I can see this being a big problem with an iPad hitting concrete.

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
if all the kids use it that that guy is in the picture they will have a generation of bad backs. Trust me they don't want that.

Think of an 11 year old kid carrying a backpack full of archaic text books to and from school. That's more likely to cause back problems.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This will be just too much technology in our lives. Right now kids barely talk to their friends face to face or even their neighbors, now with this they won't talk to anyone.....

Technology is great, don't get me wrong....but it has gone too far in the sense the human element is gone of communication between one another. One time I saw 6 kids sitting at a table with their parents at the bar, not once in 45 minutes did they look up from their phones and say anything to each other.

So...it's the phones' fault they don't talk to each other? Do you know how that sounds?

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
funny guy. you have clearly never been in a computing classroom. Teachers, regardless of their skill, fail to keep all the pupils on task. Websense, LanSchool... you name it, it doesn't seem to work. Maybe kids in the the Uk are just particularly badly behaved.

the point i was making is there a way the school will be able to restrict the usage? (Like LanSchool for iPad?, i don't think this is possible yet?)

I know you didnt know this but I will give you some insight into my schooling history...22 years old, graduated college in 3 years (Finance degree and brought in almost no AP credits) 90% of my tests were administered on a computer or given online. Currently enrolled in an online grad school. I have if anything grown up and learned the majority of my knowledge in computing classrooms.

I agree with you though, teachers do fail to keep the students on task and I say let the students fail their tests. No one forced me to do the work, I just did it all because I knew I had to complete it. Trust me the UK kids are no worse and probably much better than the minions (kids) of the US.

As for the restrictions available, I have not take a close look at the iPad configuration tool for multi ipad configs but I assume there are some restriction features. Plus if the iPads are just on a intranet rather than connected to the internet, kids cant get to the web to play games or downloads.

But seriously lets actually discipline our youth.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
if all the kids use it that that guy is in the picture they will have a generation of bad backs. Trust me they don't want that.

It's no worse than kids hunched over textbooks, notebooks etc

----------

haha and during the break, everyone plays Angry Birds haha

haha just kidding, looks like a great idea to me:)

You laugh but Angry Birds is based on physics so it could be used as a tool in class even

----------

the point i was making is there a way the school will be able to restrict the usage? (Like LanSchool for iPad?, i don't think this is possible yet?)

sure. You can buy the iPads yourself and lock them down to only certain apps, block web addresses from the network etc if you wish

My little brother is part of an iPad pilot at his school and he and the 'rents were made to sign a contract that hacking or even restoring the iPad was grounds for expulsion under the rules against damaging school property. The school is apparently using something similar to how the Apple stores block off the home button on their smart signs to lock the iPads down so the kids can't even see the app store etc, much less use them

----------

. iPads bring many things to education but they are NOT end-all, be-all of educational tools.

no one is saying that it is. But there are a lot of places were the iPad can be used as well if not better than current tools. Consumable worksheets waste a lot of paper, textbooks are heavy, often out of date and are in a shambles by the time the third kid gets it. And so on.

----------

? I don't think we could ever fully replace a living, breathing teacher.

No one is suggesting that

Plus, you say in regular schools, kids are cordoned off from other kids of different levels.

Based on age, not skill. And some schools will pass kids so they won't be embarrassed about being kept back when they lack the skills to go on, which helps no one including the student

With iPads, kids are cordons off from all other people for the most part.

Yeah cause kids are allowed to socialize during lectures etc. no, they do it during lunch and such. Same as they would with an iPad textbook based class

Despite your ranting, text is not evil. And it isn't going to rot kids brains or put people out of jobs. It is just a tool.

----------

Also thought of something the iPad can't really teach: physical education/gym. Sure, it can show you how to throw a baseball, do a gymnastics routine on balance beam or whatever, but that doesn't really make you an expert. With this, you learn by doing.

schools don't have PE anymore. Same with art, music etc

Why? It costs money and does nothing to improve exam scores that get them federal funding.

----------

. One time I saw 6 kids sitting at a table with their parents at the bar, not once in 45 minutes did they look up from their phones and say anything to each other.

the tech is not the problem, the parents are.

RSchot

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Netherlands
Already a reality in Holland

At the primary school of my daughter iPads are used for children needing extra aids for for instance dyslexia. All books are available as PDF on shared drives and it is amazing to see how fluent kids are using the apps.

Another amazing development: in a recent poll at our school under 11 year olds, 70% are on Twitter and most are on Hyves (similar to Facebook). Many parents were not even aware of the digital footprint of their own kids :eek:

SKSAMG

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Don't just introduce...enhance

There are a number of schools in the US that are already doing things like this... According to Apple there are over 600 US schools that use iPads now. Many are just starting but others like South Kent School have full deployment and use digital books.

After all, if you are using technology but are not striving for transformation it's a waste of time and money.

I recommend educators take a look at the SAMR model.

The first 2 levels lead to ENHANCEMENT

Substitution - involves doing the same thing as you would do without the technology without any modification of the assignment. For example typing out the work using a word processor rather than handwriting.

Augmentation - involves some functional improvement but is still a direct tool substitute. Again the assignment is not changed, but perhaps some of the built in tools such as the thesaurus, word count, spell check etc might be used.

The next 2 levels lead to TRANSFORMATION

Modification - involves giving a different kind of assignment. For example using multimedia, adding sound, video etc. The question to be asked is does the media enhance the message?

Redefinition - doing something that is inconceivable without technology, give students a stage. For example posting on the web so that the audience is the world and there is a feedback loop. Examples could include collaborative writing - blogs, wikis. Check out the Cardinal News Network, a site created by students using their iPads.

The SAMR model gives teachers a common language and draws out the specifics of what they do and why. Many teachers are still using technology as substitution and augmentation. We have to try to move to the stages that represent transformation. In transformation students need to be participating in their learnings as we know that learning is socially constructed.

Visualization is key. It is important to make the abstract concrete. Students will become engaged and motivated through bringing the world into the classroom. We have seen this at South Kent School as a result of both the introduction of enhanced teaching styles and our iPad program. As teachers start looking at how the technology could transform learning they realize they needed to come up with assignments that show engagement, deeper analysis, more real life application, that students need to communicate, and that learning is interdisciplinary.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
So...it's the phones' fault they don't talk to each other? Do you know how that sounds?

Oh, believe me. Phones have made kids more egocentric.

They can't leave WhatsApp or the BB Messenger. They need to constantly be connected to Facebook and Twitter. They are continually playing games in the iPhone or iPad.

Nomlonger do I see my nephews playing with the dog, or going for a bike ride, or going to play even soccer. They much prefer staying in Facebook or playing games in their phones or the play station.

And it's not only kids. Adults have also fallen to this trend. I swear I have some friends who can't stop tweeting. Checking the news. Chatting in WhatsApp. It's ridiculous.

trads

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
iPads have already been handed out to schoolkids in Odder - a small town in Denmark. Every kid got one to use in school... paid by the county.
Simular projects are being discussed in other counties in Denmark.

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
damn Apple, when will you get it?

PUT IN A STUPID DIGITIZER, like Wacom digitizers in PC-Laptop convertibles!

Only then one can replace the paper. Students and many of us at work need to be able to take notes and doodle WITH A PEN. The iPad will never take over in a good school without that ability.

Steve said 2007, when he presented the iPhone:
Who wants a stylus?

... and he was totally right... for the featureset of a phone, nobody does want one. The iPad is a different thing though, more about productivity (in a working environment or school). To replace a notebook, I need that pen, I'm fairly certain I'm not alone with this!
I am 100% certain, that an iPad with digitizer (of course touch is still in there) would be way more awesome a product than what it is today!

Am I tempted to buy an iPad? Yes, of course, lovely "toy", would complete my plethora of Apple computers, iPods, phones that I've owned so far. Will I buy one? No way. I can't use it like this and would always complain about how cumbersome it is in a meeting where I quickly want to write something down, sketch an idea next to the text, annotate a PDF. The accuracy of capacitive pens just sucks!

As unelegant and clumsy as my Lenovo X220T (from work) truly is... as great is it with the pen... superawesome using Ms OneNote.... and yes, I am an Apple fan and user.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I heard of a school using iPads for grades 11-12 in Bremen, Germany. They argued, that they save money they would otherwise spend for books. Material would be faster accessable and they think the pupils are encouraged to do their homework more consequently, because they will have their iPad always with them ans they can't excuse "I could not do my homework, because my books were in my closet at school". The pupils take it with them at home and can even put personal things on it. When they end school they will hand over the iPads to the next generation of pupils (the personal material will be deleted, as well as some teaching material). The teachers will no longer have to copy material and hand it out as papers.

When I heard this, my first thought was, if this was not an expensive investment just for "trying it", but since they will hand over the iPads to the next generation, perhaps it will work. On the other hand, you can hand over books, too (store them in the library) and they are cheaper. A second thing is, that this particular city, were they are testing it, is one of the states that make high depts.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Technology is an important component in learning, but I've always seen people who take their education seriously do well despite the environment that they're in.

While schools need to keep up with technology so that young people are exposed to technology from an early age, I think if students and parents took education more seriously then we'd see an improvement in overall learning.

The Dutch education is both innovative and well supported by students and parents alike, teachers aren't the sole determinant in the quality of education that students receive. Student and parent participation are just as important.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Our school issues iPads to all students and here is my personal opinion/facts on it:

1) They are more of a distraction than a help.

2) They disable the iTunes store/App Store to avoid people downloading games. (Originally just the App Store until some of our more dedicated students found a way to get Apps off of the iTunes store instead of the App Store)

3) Personally, I find myself being less productive IN class and more productive OUT of class. What usually happens is most of our students browse the internet in class, most of which do not have the dedication to do work outside of class so they fail.

4) The only use for the iPad is access to the internet (Though flashless really limits interactive education) and the iWork suite.

I personally think schools would be much better off without them in the classroom at all and only issue them for students to do homework out of class, though computers are greater alternatives to that.

For people worried about keeping kids off of games: Our schools gets a signed digital certificate by Apple and then personally goes to a page on a Lionserver where they download a profile. The profile adds restrictions that cannot be removed without a password that is encrypted. Another profile allows the school do remotely modify/disable the iPad.

Of course, a quick jailbreak would take care of that but that would be a bad idea for students.

Another thing I saw come up is dropping: Our school charges a $50 'insurance' at the start of the year or $500 to replace a broken iPad. You get one 'oops' moment with the iPad then for your 2nd you must pay the full price. I am pretty sure the school makes oodles of profit off of us since in the 2 years we have had iPads less than 20 have broken.

Last edited:

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
how will they be able to keep them on task and off games?

If you have an Apple server, the only content that can be on the iPad is what the school wants. The only problem is, when the iPad is not connected to that network, it can have any content it wants. Therefore I give kids like 2 periods before they figure this out

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
"Steve Jobs Schools"
oh, god.

Substituting slavish indoctrination for thinking different.
Devolution, it's not just a theory, it's a fact.

----------

Think of an 11 year old kid carrying a backpack full of text books that have worked for thousands of years to and from school. That's more likely to cause physical fitness and prevent muscle atrophy.

Fxt it for ya.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I guess my school has already made that shift. We have like 15 iPads in one of our classroom, even iTouches! The distractions really aren't as much of a problem, and one thing that's great is its video viewing capability. I think that if it replaces pen and paper for textbooks, it is perfect. And you can use it to take quizzes as well. For education, the teachers occasionally put educational games on it which I don't exactly like. I think they do that expecting the kids already hate reading. And I would've otherwise been interested in an actual book, digital or not, but with that there's less substance to it. And yes, it can be learned, but the actual subject is not the point of interest.

I found an article that really intrigued me, and now I want one:

http://lowendmac.com/thomas/08tt/emates-in-the-classroom.html

It's like the iPad of the 90's!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.