Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJL6705

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
This seems like a great idea, my biggest concern is: What happens when the kid drops it and breaks it.

Our school has an iPad program. We use them for everything. As for how they don't get broken: Otterbox cases.

It is seriously great. All students have all the information of the internet at their fingertips. Students take notes on their iPads, share and collaborate on projects via Google Docs, are in constant contact via Gmail accounts provided by the school.

You can read more about my schools project here if you're interested: http://www.lfalls.k12.mn.us/real

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Oh, believe me. Phones have made kids more egocentric.

They can't leave WhatsApp or the BB Messenger. They need to constantly be connected to Facebook and Twitter. They are continually playing games in the iPhone or iPad.

Nomlonger do I see my nephews playing with the dog, or going for a bike ride, or going to play even soccer. They much prefer staying in Facebook or playing games in their phones or the play station.

And it's not only kids. Adults have also fallen to this trend. I swear I have some friends who can't stop tweeting. Checking the news. Chatting in WhatsApp. It's ridiculous.
This is because the "adults" are still kids. The phones haven't done anything.

I suppose you are going to tell me there are no murderers? Only really evil bullets?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To me, it is all about moderation.

Of course, anything course of action will have negative outcomes when carried out to extremes. I don't expect these kids to be using ipads from 8 to 3 pm. They will likely still get their share of physical education, with a good dose of character skills lessons throw in.

Conversely, I am hoping they don't have to listen to their teacher drone on and on for hours on end.

I am currently teaching in an elementary school which uses laptops in school, and I can safely vouch that it is definitely more than possible to teach these youngsters to see computers as a tool for creation, rather than just consumption.

Yes, there will be those who try to test the system or break the rules outright, but you can't use this as a reason to stop progress. It is no different from pupils who get up to mischief because they are bored with a lesson. :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Steve's vision wasn't on the mark with this one. A mixed solution of lecture hall, followed by teaching assistants to rigorous group projects will save education far more than switching from a Textbook to an iPad.

Who says that wouldn't happen.

no one has suggested just handing kids an iPad and having them hang out at home and learn off apps.

all that discussion, interaction etc can still happen as much as before.

Nomlonger do I see my nephews playing with the dog, or going for a bike ride, or going to play even soccer. They much prefer staying in Facebook or playing games in their phones or the play station.

That isn't an issue with the tech. That's their parents giving them the phones, the play stations etc and letting them just hang out inside.

Students and many of us at work need to be able to take notes and doodle WITH A PEN.

And you can do that. You don't need an active digitizer to use a stylus with an iPad to take notes or anything else.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
funny guy. you have clearly never been in a computing classroom. Teachers, regardless of their skill, fail to keep all the pupils on task. Websense, LanSchool... you name it, it doesn't seem to work. Maybe kids in the the Uk are just particularly badly behaved.

the point i was making is there a way the school will be able to restrict the usage? (Like LanSchool for iPad?, i don't think this is possible yet?)

I have iPads and iPod touches in My school and they are totally locked down. I've also had the pleasure of using a MacBook g4 when they were out and we could not install anything. Even the teachers had to call tech support to override the lockdown.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Although I agree that Computers in general will be able to greatly advance students capabilities I think it's wrong to use iPads only.
Students should be given Brand choice, as it is with Laptops, now there is no choice and only Apple will be the sole provider for these Computers.
Teaching material should be available to all major systems, for Laptop/computers that would be Windows, OS X or Linux, on Tablets it should be the same, let it be available to iOS, Android, windows Mobile or any other Mayor OS.
I do know that the iPad is capable of a lot more than other portable computers but that's just because there are many more Apps than any other OS, should it be the main choice just because of that?

I've been here long enough to realize this is an Apple related forum and I like My Apple computers but I think there should not be any government nor educational institution involvement in the choice of which Computers we use.

On a side note, here in Indonesia electronic books are already downloadable free of charge, problem is though that not too many students have (fast)internet.

So, the link to where it will start is: http://o4nt.nl/ (link is in the article too).

Glad Apple finally opened a store here in Amsterdam too. :apple: When will we be getting on the short list of countries to get the newest stuff first? I bet all goes via our main ports over water into the rest of Europe, so why not drop a couple of those iPad's and Apple TV's into the Amsterdam store? And fix that we have to pay to call Apple on a Premium-rate telephone number, that really sucks!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
damn Apple, when will you get it?

PUT IN A STUPID DIGITIZER

Only then one can replace the paper.

I've given away my iPad2, and have decided not to purchase another batch for my office til they incorporate a decent passive digitizer, ideally a Wacom. Ordering ten million units at a time, wacom could net a dollar from each and they'd probably make more than all their intuos' combined...

I almost can't believe they haven't devised an overlay film & dock conn plug of some sort for the thing.

...yea, I'm prepared to wait.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
This could work...

As long as they dont try to reinvent the wheel....

What I mean with that is:

Dont use a lot of money to hire consultants and developers to make software that already exists (i.e productivity, iTunes U and iBooks/iBooks author)

When gouverments/officials wants to use IT in anything, they tend to use a lot of money specifying somthing they "think they want". Hiring expensive consultants and developers to create it, ending up with a product that is very bad and hard to use.

I see this all the time. The people who makes the decissions are not the people using the product so the result is often very bad.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Steve was suggesting that Education should be out of the realm of buying the same copy 10 million times with tax dollars. That is just stupid.

Cut out the middle man.

Pay a textbook creator once for his efforts and then give it away for free. Duh.

The same goes for educational software. How many copies of kid pix were sold to schools?

A million ? ten Million? What a colossal waste of tax payer money.

Don't get me started on MS Office.

Pay the programmer once and give it away for free.

It should be banned to buy commercial software with tax payer money.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
You don't even need to talk about interactive iPad software - the truth is education doesn't work for some/many kids.

I hated school with a vengeance, was bored out of my mind, was bullied by psychologically damaged teachers and students, but managed to do alright because I read. And read lots.

Kids are more than capable of learning by themselves once they can read and exploring subjects with their peers.

In the United Kingdom teachers are now very highly paid - yet many of those that have entered the profession would have struggled to obtain more than a basic admin job in the wider economy. So you could see some bright spark being held back by a relative dimwit there more for classroom control than anything else.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
I think it is a good idea for us to have good technology like iPad in the classroom but we should not get carried away. I think it is fine to have this for certain classes like biology or history however I cannot see iPads being that useful in the teaching of maths or physics! I think for subjects that require greater understanding like maths we still need whiteboard/blackboard with pens and pencils. :apple:

Sorry, but i could not disagree more if only they had had something like this with some great Maths, Bio & Physics "Apps" with some interactive aids to understanding (and enjoying) these subjects iam sure lots more students could gain qualifications in the sciences.
Videos for the uses of trigonometry could turn mundane into interesting and may help get rid of the "i will never need that" syndrome that is so often heard when approaching science.
Sign up the mythbusters i'am sure they could make some awesome examples of bending moments!
Also ,if like me at 50 one would like to revisit some of these subjects it would be possible to download the App and learn at home.

Last edited:

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
Right. But that's how books are used today, and have been for ages. So it'll be nothing new for the iPad. If anything, the iPad, being much lighter than a textbook, can be held upright, like with the student in the background.

Normal books don't have glossy displays and can be used in any position. Normal books don't have to be charged over and over again. It's easier to hold individual books side by side (given the fact no student uses more than one iPad). And what about the wi-fi radiation?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Normal books don't have glossy displays and can be used in any position. Normal books don't have to be charged over and over again. It's easier to hold individual books side by side (given the fact no student uses more than one iPad). And what about the wi-fi radiation?

Turn the brightness up.
A school day is around 6 hours, much shorter than iPad's typical battery life.
Students would use multiple iPads if the wanted/felt they needed.
And yes, what about Wi-Fi radiation?

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Substituting slavish indoctrination for thinking different.
Devolution, it's not just a theory, it's a fact.

----------

Fxt it for ya.

Let's switch one monopoly with another. Sounds like a great idea.

Attachments

• peoplesfrontofjudea.jpg
    peoplesfrontofjudea.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 82

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
The "iPad in education"-discourse is nothing but the government equivalent of a management fad. Not because Jobs vision was wrong (it's far from novel to begin with), but because the school organizations don't have sufficient resources to successfully implement these devices into the education (and even if they started now, it'd still take over a decade before we got anywhere).

All we will ever see in the near future is digitizing of cow paths. Its something, alright - but its hardly revolutionary.

Teachers are among the most IT-illiterate of workgroups and now we expect them to revolutionize teaching through modern technology? In the words of the late ODB: N***a please.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
It's amazing that the education system has virtually been unchanged since it began. It is definitely in need of a revolution.

Sure, it's not like that old and unchanged system produced anything worthwile during the 20th century, right? It definitely needs to go and be replaced by iPads, because that will ensure progress and innovation, unlike old-fashioned books :rolleyes:

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
lot of issues being thrown around

-so I'll add one

Don't forget to factor in students who will need two iPads because they have an accommodation for their IEP.

They aren't "able" to bring there iPad to school from home. :rolleyes:

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
simple reality

I think technology is great and I'm all for it in society, certainly schools.

But, the simple reality is that no matter what form or method learning takes, the student still must want to do the work. It isn't something that can be given to you. You have to want it and take it for yourself. You still have to read and study. It isn't glamourous and a lot of times it isn't fun.

Look around the computer lab at local colleges. You will see rows of students at computers and the majority aren't studying. (well, I guess they could be studying Facebook or music videos)

There is a reason that community colleges across the country are struggling with developmental english and math students. There is a reason that colleges and universities are pouring amazing amounts of money into math labs, writing centers, and tutoring labs (don't forget all the administrators and VP of this/that, which I believe position wise has exploded over the last ten years). They are under tremendous pressure to help students pass. Yet, all of these resources and effort doesn't change the fact the student has to want to put in the effort. They have to want to do the work. They have to do the work.

Unfortunately, work in our society that has become a nasty four letter word.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
This really isn't a new idea. There are hundreds (maybe thousands now? who knows) of schools/districts across the country right now that already issue laptops to every student. Maine has given laptops to every kid (I think starting in 7th grade?) for over 10 years. Idaho is starting a program, I think New Hampshire does the same, etc. And lots of private schools too.

In my school (private middle school), kids have had MacBooks for about 7 years. I feel it's fair to say that the vast majority of teachers would not want to go back to a non-laptop environment. The work kids are able to produce is of higher quality, the access to information is much better, and kids are more motivated. Sure there are issues of damage but honestly, not as many as you would think - mot problems are really more the maintenance type concerns that any big company with employees using laptops would have. We have very strict rules about usage and the kids get in trouble if they leave the laptops unattended, put them on the ground, etc. The seems to cut down on a lot of problems.

As far as kids playing games when they're supposed to be working, of course this happens. And they get in a lot of trouble when they do this. But, our tech people can look at anyone's screen at any time to see what they are up to and knowing there are those random checks helps, and guess what.....the teacher has some control and responsibility here too! You learn how to monitor what they are doing, to make sure everyone's computer is shut unless they have a specific task to do, etc. And although I haven't used it, I know there is also software available so that the teacher can view every child's screen on their own laptop at the same time. People doing the wrong thing at the wrong time is hardly a kid only problem - frankly, I see more adults misbehaving in this way during meetings than kids during class.

As far as iPads go, these are the trendy new thing for schools to get. The funny thing is, I know of several schools that have adopted 1:1 iPad programs, and in all of them there has been disappointment among many of the teachers and students. The reason is that most would prefer the greater functionality of a laptop - the iPad is seen as more of a toy and a marketing ploy.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Why do I get the strange feeling that we're on our way to becoming like the Borg on Star Trek?

<snip> text is not evil. And it isn't going to rot kids brains or put people out of jobs. It is just a tool.

Not saying that text will rot the brain. But a few of the people on this thread at lest seem to want to get rid of teachers as they exist today and just make them iBook authors. Plop a kid in front of an iPad and have them learn that way. While books are good for many things, as you say, it's a tool. All I'm saying is it seems some people want iPads to be the only tool and way kids learn.

Plus, I've seen teachers basically teaching the program, not the underlying concept. Why learn how to spell when you have spell check? Why teach how to add when you can use the calculator? I've seen enough people use technology as a replacement for thinking, not to augment it.

schools don't have PE anymore. Same with art, music etc

Why? It costs money and does nothing to improve exam scores that get them federal funding.

I work in a school district. And guess what? We have PE. Everyday. It's mandated by state law. And guess what else? We have art, music and foreign language, too. And you know what else? We're one of the highest ranked schools in not just the state but the country. I'm not saying every school can do that, but it is possible to have all these extra classes and still do well in the right conditions.

I don't mean to rant, and technology has many good qualities, but it can bring out a lot of bad qualities, too.

Last edited:

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Thts why kdz tlk lk ths thse dyz gotta fit evrythng so I can tweetz.

I was going to have a small rant about people who do this (and I'm a student myself!), but then realised it was kinda off-topic! I will say that I really despair at people who type like this when they have a full QWERTY keyboard in front of them. What have they got against using vowels, anyway? :rolleyes:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Technology has come a long way, no doubt, but I don't see how putting everything on an iPad is going to make education BETTER. So instructors don't sit at the front of the classroom and draw on a chalk (or white) board, what evidence is there that our children will be better educated as a result of this new system? There are certainly other benefits such as not having to lug heavy textbooks around, but nothing about this spells "BETTER EDUCATION" to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.