Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Students should be given Brand choice, as it is with Laptops, now there is no choice and only Apple will be the sole provider for these Computers.

Students should be given a brand choice in school? On hardware/software paid for generally by tax dollars? Are you being serious?

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I think mathematics may be one of the BEST opportunities for iPad usage. The iPads can and should be used as workbooks, where children actually practice problem solving. For those kids who breeze through practice questions, the workbook could automatically create more difficult problems that test the same math skill. Meanwhile, those who struggle can get progressively easier questions or automated assistance. The teachers would be relieved of the burden of monotonous grading on this type of work, and the iPads give much more instantaneous feedback than a teacher could ever hope to achieve. All of this can reduce the need for the socially painful practice of grouping kids into levels, physically cordoning them off from peers based on talent.

Math on an ipad == not nice

Pencil and paper is much better

A stylus would be very nice though

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
This seems like a great idea, my biggest concern is: What happens when the kid drops it and breaks it.
Exactly, this is why a fragile device like the current iPad(s) will never be able to replace books. These new types of strengthened glass only protect against scratching and more-or-less perpendicular force applied to the front of the screen. They don't protect from damage when the force is applied to the edge or corner of the display (which is what very often happens when an iOS device is dropped).

I think it will be several more years (at least) before these devices are light enough and rugged enough to be used day-in and day-out by primary school children. If you drop one of these and break the screen the replacement cost will probably be nearly the same as a full semester's worth of books (not quite, but when multiplied by the possible number of "accidents" the costs could be pretty high).

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Technology has come a long way, no doubt, but I don't see how putting everything on an iPad is going to make education BETTER. So instructors don't sit at the front of the classroom and draw on a chalk (or white) board, what evidence is there that our children will be better educated as a result of this new system? There are certainly other benefits such as not having to lug heavy textbooks around, but nothing about this spells "BETTER EDUCATION" to me.

As others have said, iPads, and computers in general for that matter, can get updated information quicker, easier and cheaper than printed books.

Plus, some websites/apps allow some interactivity to show how one thing affects another. Example: I saw this one website where you design a catapult and try to hit targets. You can change how long the arm is, how heavy the rock is, what angle the rock is released from, etc. This could help students who have a hard time visualizing what's going on with the changes.

----------

Students should be given a brand choice in school? On hardware/software paid for generally by tax dollars? Are you being serious?

You both have a point. If a student has a brand choice, he/she can pick a product that's easier for him/her to use. On the other hand, it's harder to administrate from a teacher's/IT staff perspective. Plus, a kid may want a super-duper high priced brand that doesn't offer much more quality than an el cheap brand which would be a waste of tax dollars.

MvdM

Suspended
Apr 27, 2005
Turn the brightness up.
A school day is around 6 hours, much shorter than iPad's typical battery life.
Students would use multiple iPads if the wanted/felt they needed.
And yes, what about Wi-Fi radiation?

Yeah right, turn the brightness up, that's very relaxing for your eyes.... Not.
I don't think one student wants to have more than one iPad, or have to pay for them.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
As others have said, iPads, and computers in general for that matter, can get updated information quicker, easier and cheaper than printed books.

Let's be honest, historically these "updates" have always been for the sake of publishers making coin year after year. Plenty of things, at a grade school level, need no updating. Literature? Pretty much the same as it has been for years (even though textbooks are constantly updated). Same goes for Math, History, Geography, you name it. The only thing that is constantly evolving is sciences, and even those don't often find changes warranting a k-12 book chapter be completely re-written. I just don't think k-12 textbooks getting terribly outdated. For most subjects, and update every decade or so is certainly sufficient. That's a lot more time than the average iPad would last in school I suspect.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
...a MacBook g4...

powerbook?

----------

If you have an Apple server, the only content that can be on the iPad is what the school wants. The only problem is, when the iPad is not connected to that network, it can have any content it wants. Therefore I give kids like 2 periods before they figure this out

yeah exactly, won't they be taking the iPads home?

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Steve Jobs - the man who lambasted Western education and prized the Chinese...

So, either China must be using the latest e-Tools, which in turn is prompting the rest of the world to play "catch-up"... or they're getting by with a lot less and there's another reason for things... e.g. "making coin", as suggested in another response. It is all about the money.

Now add in eyestrain...

I'll stick with regular books, paper, and pencil for math classes, and a word processor for report writing...

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Let's be honest, historically these "updates" have always been for the sake of publishers making coin year after year. Plenty of things, at a grade school level, need no updating. Literature? Pretty much the same as it has been for years (even though textbooks are constantly updated). Same goes for Math, History, Geography, you name it. The only thing that is constantly evolving is sciences, and even those don't often find changes warranting a k-12 book chapter be completely re-written. I just don't think k-12 textbooks getting terribly outdated. For most subjects, and update every decade or so is certainly sufficient. That's a lot more time than the average iPad would last in school I suspect.

The only technical advantage would be saving a lot of paper, but even then...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/ipad-vs-kindle-which-is-the-better-e-reader/12719

That's dated, but I doubt the new version is any easier on the eyes despite the higher PPI...

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
"Originally Posted by dkersten
If you have an Apple server, the only content that can be on the iPad is what the school wants. The only problem is, when the iPad is not connected to that network, it can have any content it wants. Therefore I give kids like 2 periods before they figure this out"

I don't know the technical details on how its done but at my school all student and teacher laptops have certain websites blocked, no matter what network you use the computer on. So for instance you can't get onto Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube even if you're at home.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The only technical advantage would be saving a lot of paper

Saving paper is certainly a big plus, but at what cost? I think most people translate saving paper into "better for the environment" and I am not convinced (though I am not saying it is strictly untrue). I just don't expect the manufacturing of an iPad to be a heck of a lot cleaner than a bunch of books. There is, of course, also the question of how long said iPad is going to last. I doubt the majority of units would still be functional 5 years after purchase without having anything done to them (digitizers, LCDS, etc).

mtandrup

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Wirelessly posted

One municipality in Denmark is already giving iPads to all students: http://odder1t1.com/

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Steve was a narcissist. It was his way or the high way. I like the iPad but I prefer my sharpwriter pencil and Meade's quad ruled note books.
Until I can journal with the iPad like pencil and paper well you know what I mean.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I know that city of Vancouver (WA) just purchased $35,000 worth of iPads to go "green". They will save $35K+ this year ALONE on supplies that would have been used to print reports, memos, etc.

Can you imagine if schools did this? Not to mention that info can be updated, thus no need to keep wasting all that paper to write new versions! Perhaps with the Britannica announcing that they will no longer print encyclopedias, this may happen sooner than later?

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted

This is a must. School has not chsnged although the world is chaning fast with technogy.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Some schools can't afford paper how are they going to pay for everyone to have an ipad? I don't want my tax dollars paying for ipads because a couple of teachers are Apple fan boys/girls. It'll cost a fortune for distracting devices that will be junk in 5 years. Textbooks are cheap, last forever and can't be used to play games. Why fix what's not broken.... with expensive toys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.