Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
For some of you guys that might be trying to decide between this e13ctron hybrid (when it is released in a few weeks) and the Atomic hybrid, I have an Atomic hybrid coming that I picked up really cheap so that I could do some comparison tests between the two. Since it seems that the Atomic so far as the reputation as the only aluminum/hybrid case guaranteed not to affect signal, I'll be able to let them go head to head for you guys and see how the e13ctron stacks up. And by the way, I'm only doing this so that we can get a valid comparison of the two...I don't even like the looks of the Atomic, and can guarantee you that I won't use it on my phone permanently. This is for "benchmarking" only.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The Atomic isn't bad (some performance issues for me here and there) I just don't like the sharp edges on the bottom

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The Atomic isn't bad (some performance issues for me here and there) I just don't like the sharp edges on the bottom

I'm just not fond of its design, period. It's not original at all, and isn't compatible with many (if any) docks and has issues with headphones with large jacks. I want it solely for testing/comparison purposes, since I'm doing more of these now. May as well have what's been considered as one of the best performing (reception-wise) aluminum hybrid cases on hand when I'm doing any type of review to compare against! :D

dayumitzmark

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
i wish this had something that went over the volume buttons and the sleep wake button..then ill be all over it..

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Any sugestions on combination with this case what combination look best and diferent between standard and matte finish ?

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Any sugestions on combination with this case what combination look best and diferent between standard and matte finish ?

I've tried to capture the difference in the original "standard" finish, and the newer "matte" finish in this photo. The gold on the bottom is the original standard, brushed finish, and the blue in the middle is the "matte" finish. The top-most piece is the black chrome, but it doesn't photograph well inside.

You can kind of see that the bottom, standard finish has more of a brushed, more "shiny" finish, and that the blue matte finish has a much more textured, bead-blasted look.

(click the picture to enlarge)

e13ctronfinishcloseup.jpg

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
Some of the color combinations are so awesome.

Purple top/Black bottom/black screws
Blue top/Black bottom/black screws
Silver top/Blue bottom/black screws (awesome with a white back on the iPhone)
Silver top/Pink bottom/silver screws

It's hard to make this case look ugly really.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Thank chris i love that matte blue u think matte blue with dark grey is a good comb

I think the matte blue and matte grey would be a great combo. I'd recommend getting the matte blue as the front piece, so that you could get the hybrid black back later when it's released and still have your blue color on the front.

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Chris just curious how does the original top look with the hybrid back? Is it that much of a difference? I have the orange top with black bottom and was looking at the black/chrome with the hybrid back like what you are testing but not sure how the different textures look together. Any info would be great. I know it's hard to tell from the pix so I was trying to get your opinion. Thx.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Chris just curious how does the original top look with the hybrid back? Is it that much of a difference? I have the orange top with black bottom and was looking at the black/chrome with the hybrid back like what you are testing but not sure how the different textures look together. Any info would be great. I know it's hard to tell from the pix so I was trying to get your opinion. Thx.

Finish-wise, the original finish actually matches up better with the plastic back than the matte does. The plastic back still has the milling marks in it, which closely resembles the milled/brushed finish on the original aluminum pieces. But in all honesty, all of the front case finishes match up really well with the plastic back. None look "out of place" with the plastic, even the chrome.

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks chris. Really looking forward to that combo. I spoke with him yesterday and like you said it will be about 2 weeks before they come out. Very nice guy. Thanks for all your input and honest reviews.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks chris. Really looking forward to that combo. I spoke with him yesterday and like you said it will be about 2 weeks before they come out. Very nice guy. Thanks for all your input and honest reviews.

Two more weeks.... hurry up! :p

wwyjoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
i've previously posted pics of my glossy silver (clear) / black in earlier post, matched with carbon fiber skin. Just replaced the bottom piece with a matte black for slightly better grip and a Leaf Metal Skin (Wave). Check it out :

Attachments

• DSC00695 (3444 x 2292).jpg
    DSC00695 (3444 x 2292).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 279

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

Tried to make this pic just for you (and anyone else trying to decide between finishes)! :D This is taken indoors with crap lighting and a crap point and shoot camera, but hopefully you can see the difference in the 3 textures...original, matte, and the mirror chrome.

The blue is matte finish, the gold is original finish, and of course the chrome is the black chrome finish. As you can (hopefully) see, the original finish is closest in sheen/texture to the hybrid plastic rear, but I personally prefer the matte for daily use due to the increased texture/grip. And again, please remember that this is a VERY quickly made prototype plastic rear that Jacob made for me last Monday in literally a matter of minutes, just for testing purposes. The final finish should be even more smooth and consistent. This image is stitched together from 3 separate photos of each front case, using the same rear black plastic hybrid case for each photo.

(click to enlarge)

bluegoldchrome.jpg

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I think that's the best shot of the black chrome that you've gotten yet. And now that I see it, I like it even more lol. In any event, I'm impressed so far with the company. Within a few hours of ordering I already got a shipping email so hopefully by this weekend I'll have the case to try out.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I think that's the best shot of the black chrome that you've gotten yet. And now that I see it, I like it even more lol. In any event, I'm impressed so far with the company. Within a few hours of ordering I already got a shipping email so hopefully by this weekend I'll have the case to try out.

Ha Ha! Thanks! Like I've been saying...that black chrome finish is a hard SOB to photograph! Especially when you're not a professional photographer. I have no idea on how to deal with all the glare/reflections it puts off. Guess I need to read up on photography techniques if I'm going to keep this stuff up! :D

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Ha Ha! Thanks! Like I've been saying...that black chrome finish is a hard SOB to photograph! Especially when you're not a professional photographer. I have no idea on how to deal with all the glare/reflections it puts off. Guess I need to read up on photography techniques if I'm going to keep this stuff up! :D

i know this will sound crazy but at a job i had i took pictures of jewelry for sherrifs office and we did it in a light box basically a cardboard box with a non reflective white or black wrapping paper wrapped inside use indirect light and no flash it takes great photos of shiny objects, haha

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
i know this will sound crazy but at a job i had i took pictures of jewelry for sherrifs office and we did it in a light box basically a cardboard box with a non reflective white or black wrapping paper wrapped inside use indirect light and no flash it takes great photos of shiny objects, haha

Makes perfect sense, actually! I might try rigging up something a little later. I also really need to invest in a good mid-level dslr, as this Canon point and shoot isn't the best for it anyway.

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
The black chrome looks like the side panels from the Casemate Barely There 2

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Barely-There-2-Series.asp

The pictures look weird but the video shows it. I have a few of these on hand and looking at your pictures Chris, this is probably the best comparison if people want to see it in person.

Chris: this should help you also, http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html - I've used the homemade ones for years and they are fine but you have to know your camera. Your camera is probably fine but you just need a lightbox and a mini-tripod I think. The detail level in the other pictures of the Matte one looked fine.

This is what I use and absolutely love it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Edit: e13ctron is going to be updating the site soon to include a white iPhone 4 in the color selector tool

Last edited:

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks chris for the effort in showing the different tops with the hybrid bottom. Can't wait for them to be released. Love the one I have but that chrome looks sick. Thanks again for your pix. Now the wait begins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.