Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Why don't you just stay on one platform?

I like what both parties have to offer, been with android since its release. Then switched to iphone 4 last april, gettin bored of this now, really liking jelly bean, till i get bored of android again i come back.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I like what both parties have to offer, been with android since its release. Then switched to iphone 4 last april, gettin bored of this now, really liking jelly bean, till i get bored of android again i come back.

Dual-boot iOS and Android :D?

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
Anyone notice macrumors just regurgitating the same thing over and over again ?

Every time a publication says something unverifiable it's a headline.

This is going to be a painful few months til launch day.

Dunno about MacRumors but I HAVE noticed it with other sites. There have been several reports about the Sept 21 release date today...isn't that like, 3 day old news or something? These folks need to keep up!

They try and bring it up again as if they have NEW information but no, it's not new information, it's just the same crap we read the other day except now YOU have the story and it's supposed to be "breaking news". Give it a rest already, do they really not have anything else to write about?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Two-Tone look is not added because it should look neat or "stylish". It's added because there are technical difficulties regarding reception if the back is made of metal (see iPad 3G back). So obviously Apple Designers are facing the choice between plastic, metal and glass. Plastic has good reception and is durable, but feels cheap. Metal is durable, feels nice but has bad reception. Glass has good reception, feels nice, but is not very durable.
Making glass more durable is not very easy to do; either you make it thicker (generally not wanted) or you change it's chemistry. Apparently Apple was not satisfied with progresses there.
Making plastic feel nicer is also impossible. Just the knowledge that it is plastic makes it feel cheap.
Improving the reception of metal is like asking to change the laws of electrodynamics, so no.
Apple thought the best of all these options is combining plastic and metal in hope that the advantages combine nicely and NOT because it looks cool and adds something interesting to the design. I don't think Jony Ive would ever do something like that. Every detail on his designs has to serve a function. I don't know about the old iMacs though, I've never used them, so no idea why they chose to build them like that.
I just had to re-quote this because it's the best explanation I've read yet on why we might see a two toned back on the new iPhone.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
This two tone look isn't nice at all. I'd be okay with the black bar at the bottom like the first generation iPhone.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
The Two-Tone look is not added because it should look neat or "stylish". It's added because there are technical difficulties regarding reception if the back is made of metal (see iPad 3G back). So obviously Apple Designers are facing the choice between plastic, metal and glass. Plastic has good reception and is durable, but feels cheap. Metal is durable, feels nice but has bad reception. Glass has good reception, feels nice, but is not very durable.
Making glass more durable is not very easy to do; either you make it thicker (generally not wanted) or you change it's chemistry. Apparently Apple was not satisfied with progresses there.
Making plastic feel nicer is also impossible. Just the knowledge that it is plastic makes it feel cheap.
Improving the reception of metal is like asking to change the laws of electrodynamics, so no.
Apple thought the best of all these options is combining plastic and metal in hope that the advantages combine nicely and NOT because it looks cool and adds something interesting to the design. I don't think Jony Ive would ever do something like that. Every detail on his designs has to serve a function. I don't know about the old iMacs though, I've never used them, so no idea why they chose to build them like that.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. I even understand the quote from dieter rams. But you seem to be forgetting Dieter Rams other principle for good design, "good design is aesthetic design"

Apple has always added style to their designs. That's what made them stand out, unique. If Apple designed STRICTLY in the vein of functional design, their products wouldn't have survived in the late 90s.

But your last sentence just answers my question. You haven't been following Apple design for too long. If you have been, then you'd know exactly where I'm coming from. The stripes on the iMac served no functional purpose whatsoever. The translucent plastic served no functional purpose. The candy colors, no purpose. The white color choice, no purpose. These were all style and aesthetic design decisions, not functional.

You can't just pick out one of Dieter Rams principles and leave out the rest. The thing that Apple has always excelled at was applying incredible aesthetic design and style to a functional design. The home button is a great example. That square icon on the button, that's an aesthetic design applied to a functional design. The square is much more iconic than if the button said "menu" like in the prototypes. That IS style.

So this two toned plastic/metal backing may serve some realistic functional purpose, but at the same time they applied aesthetic design to make it look more beautiful. We have no idea yet. All I gotta say is it looks gorgeous.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Yes, the rounded back of the 3G/3GS definitely felt better in the hand; however, it felt cheap with plastic and poor fit and finish. Can't have it both ways, unless they figure out something new.

The original iPhone was PERFECT to hold, the aluminum was rugged as hell, and it was weighted and balanced perfectly. I would love the next iPhone to have a similar shape. We shall see. I can't wait until the announce.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Simplicity, it's rolling in a grave somewhere dead. I don't understand the allure of these multi-color designs. Just give us a solid color on the backplate, please.

I know what you mean, more metal to scratch up. More thinness to forget and sit on. :rolleyes:

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
:eek::eek::eek:

Nouvel-iPhone-5-Nak-04.jpg

Nouvel-iPhone-5-Nak-011.jpg

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
The iPhone 4 is just so tired looking anymore and the interface needs an update, badly. I went to the Razor Maxx but even that was lackluster in my tastes. Sure, it was fast and the LTE was amazing but I absolutely hate Motoblur (or whatever it is called). If all Apple did was extend the length and keep the same basic design for the next iPhone, I'm going to Android when the HTC Incridble 4G is released.

Anther thing is that Android has had speech to text/search and turn by turn GPS since the original Dorid. Apple is way behind and the iPhone 4 won't even get those features even though it is more than capable to handle it. Talk all you want but iOS is just as fragmented as Android.

I know I shouldn't, but...

1) iOS doesn't need a makeover every year because Apple nailed the UI from the beginning. Some people confuse Google's yearly makeover with rapid innovation, when in fact, it's attributed to Android's crude beginnings and Google's lack of conviction in its own UI. Now that it's reached a certain level of polish, I would expect Android's yearly releases to be "boring" like iOS.

2) Features does not equal a great UX. In typical Google fashion, they threw a bunch of half-baked features into Android early on, but that doesn't mean they were all good. Copy & paste was an afterthought; creation of folders was modeled after desktop computers until Apple showed them a better way. Heck, the first Android phone even came with a bulit-in trackball! I can tell you about all the features that iOS had first and still has that Android lacks, but again, that's not what defines a great UX.

3) Fragmentation with platforms is inevitable as they mature. But to suggest that iOS and Android are somehow even remotely similar in that regard is just being blind and ignorant.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Pathetic, how and why? I can't stand people who post such negative ***** every time someone posts their opinion. They don't like the new rumored design all that much, but are still admitting that they'll most likely buy it anyway. Why is that pathetic? smh. Stop being a d!€k.

Reason I hate the new only up button. I always looked at the down button as displeasure without writing a nastygram to the trolls. :rolleyes:

JCL

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I don't get this obsession with how thin products are. It's purely marketing material, a stat for some inner page on Apple.com.

The current iPhone 4/4s design is the best looking phone on the market (aside from the whole antenna issue) and is plenty thin. If these phones keep getting wider/taller and thinner they will be impossible to hold.

As for the rumored next iPhone design... I like the softer color on the back but hate the contrast of the two glass/plastic pieces. If metal has issues with reception they shouldn't use it. The headphone jack on the bottom is a terrible idea (hold your phone with your left hand and picture having a jack on the bottom).

Question: Why not make the entire back metal but use the entire back as the antenna?

RIP: teardrop dream

P.S. it's funny how many iSheeps you can see in this post. Just look at people rationalizing the 3 piece back. Will I buy one? HELL YES lol.

samh4life

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
it's not iphone 5

i'm sick of the media calling it the iphone 5.... the 5th generation phone was the iphone 4S. The next one will either be called the iphone 6 or iPhone 4G (due to the addition of an LTE chip) or something other than iphone 5. The media should really do their homework when it comes to products and possible names....

However, I do plan on buying whatever the new device is going to be called. Not that i'm some sorta fanboy whatever you want to call it but rather because i love the customer support quality apple normally has (except the whole ML scandal).

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Anyone notice macrumors just regurgitating the same thing over and over again ?

Every time a publication says something unverifiable it's a headline.

This is going to be a painful few months til launch day.

Wha…?! This has to be one of the most interesting stories all year. It shows us early prototype designs we wouldn't normally get to see, which is fascinating. To compare them with the rumoured upcoming design is entirely appropriate for a site about Apple rumours! I honestly just think some of you are at the wrong site.

I have an original iPhone, and I still have to check every time which end is which when I want to put it in its power cradle. Sheesh! Make it VISIBLE guys!

You sure it's the original iPhone you have? It's a little hard to miss which end is which with that one…

170px-Original_iPhone_rear.jpg

i'm sick of the media calling it the iphone 5....

Oh no, please not that again…

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
i'm sick of the media calling it the iphone 5.... the 5th generation phone was the iphone 4S. The next one will either be called the iphone 6 or iPhone 4G (due to the addition of an LTE chip) or something other than iphone 5. The media should really do their homework when it comes to products and possible names....

However, I do plan on buying whatever the new device is going to be called. Not that i'm some sorta fanboy whatever you want to call it but rather because i love the customer support quality apple normally has (except the whole ML scandal).

I think your math is off.

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

Yup, it's right. It's the naming convention. Not the generation name they are referring to. The first iPhone didn't have a "number" in it's name. This would be Apple's fault. I think they might start calling it the "iPhone" just like the new "iPad" and leaving off the numeric convention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.