Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Frohickey said:
Why are any of you surprised about this at all?

Environmentalists are for the environment, they are also against people.
They would like for everyone to return to subsistence farming using oxen and plow, no, make that no plow and no irrigation ditches, since that would harm the aesthetics of the area.

Do it for Gaia!!!!

(Did I do good? Didn't I say what you wanted me to say? Nooooo... no the electric prod. I SAID WHAT YOU WANTED ME TO SAY!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! <ZAP> <whimper> )

And non-environmentalists are against the environment too huh?

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
mactastic said:
And non-environmentalists are against the environment too huh?

Some are.

This non-environmentalist is for the environment. At least the environment that I own and have a vested interest in maximizing the return on investment.

If I had 1 square mile of wilderness territory, I would be doing my best to improve the property, getting rid of invasive plants that are parasitically killing off the other foilage in the area. Of course, I would also be improving the property, as in putting water sources and encouraging the growth of desirable plantlife (in order to encourage the proliferation of tasty venison meat factories). :D :D :D

Oh, I would also be improving the property by intentionally digging and enlarging a depression on my property in the hopes of flooding it and getting some cold-blooded animals (fish and frogs, not politicians) to live in it.

Okay, so the side benefit is that the wilderness territory would be improved, and wildlife will flourish. But the value of the area, to me, is increased greatly.

Imagine what would happen if the tax system were set up so that desired uses, such as what I have outlined is encouraged (not subsidized, only encouraged) by marginally lower tax rates, than other uses of land (bulldozing and clearcutting for a mall).

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Finiksa said:
I have! Scaling the sides of nuclear powered ships and chaining themselves to trees really builds muscle.

I highly recommend it…

In my Navy days, I worked on those nuclear powered ships. The amount of documentation that we had to provide to demonstrate that the nuclear plant wasn't affecting the environment would choke a herd of horses.
Imressive when an oil fired plant also puts heat into the water, but also various combustion gases into the air. Nuclear plants are less polluting. But what about the nuclear waste? The materials already existed in nature, they were just concentrated for use. Regulations prohibit the materials being spread out for disposal. So, yes, there is a localized increase in background radiation at a disposal site. But only there and not spread all over like combustion gases.

Those environmentalists opposing the geothermal plants are ignoring the fact that an environmental impact statement had to be filed prior to approval for the site. Obviously, they weren't asked their opinions.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
tooflets said:
The problem that the environmentalists are most likely focusing on is that these would probably be steam turbine plants where water would be injected into the ground, flashed into steam by the geothermal heat, the steam would drive turbines that produce electricity & then the steam would be vented into the atmosphere. This means you require turbines, pumps/injectors, typical mess of electrical distribution equipment & all the associated buidlings. Plus you end up with assorted dissolved chemicals that are leached out of the ground & that then come out with the steam & end up precipitated or rained out both locally & downwind.

It seems like there should be some way to utilize heatpipe technology to convert the subsurface heat directly into electricity without using the injection & subsequent release of polluted steam.

Probably the best solution is to condense the steam and then reinject it. I am not sure about how much stuff will be carried up out of the ground by the steam though.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Frohickey said:
Some are.

So would it be fair to say you were being overly rhetorical when you claimed that every environmentalist is against people? You're saying I personally am against people? Is that what you are really trying to say? Or were you just trying to make another of your overly dramatic, yet mostly untruthful points?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
Green Peace = morons...

And thats all I have to say :D

Got any proof of that, or are you another one of those who says things that sound nice to them but are inane, slanderous, and entirely untrue?

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
mactastic said:
Got any proof of that, or are you another one of those who says things that sound nice to them but are inane, slanderous, and entirely untrue?

After seeing them do a few of the things they do(crashing their ship into another, spraying people off of boats with water,terroristic acts) I could only think of them this way.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
After seeing them do a few of the things they do(crashing their ship into another, spraying people off of boats with water,terroristic acts) I made this decision .

So the military are a bunch of morons? They've done worse things with their tactics, yet because of the ideological difference you feel you can call Greenpeace morons? What are you smoking dopefiend?

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
mactastic said:
So the military are a bunch of morons? They've done worse things with their tactics, yet because of the ideological difference you feel you can call Greenpeace morons? What are you smoking dopefiend?

What the hell does the military have to do with a bunch of pissed off hippies?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
What the hell does the military have to do with a bunch of pissed off hippies?

You say that anyone who knocks people off boats, or crashes their ship into something is a moron right? Or is it just pissed off hippies that you feel are morons and you just can't explain yourself?

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
mactastic said:
You say that anyone who knocks people off boats, or crashes their ship into something is a moron right? Or is it just pissed off hippies that you feel are morons and you just can't explain yourself?

They use tactics that most people with half a brain know won't work.

(seriously, hitting a ship to stop a nuclear test? :rolleyes: come on...)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
They use tactics that most people with half a brain know won't work.

(seriously, hitting a ship to stop a nuclear test? :rolleyes: come on...)

So do lots of people. Since most people with half a brain know that trying to kill all the terrorists won't work, I think you just called GWB a moron!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
So? You think because Im against GreenPeace, I am a Bush supporter and that should affect me or something??

No, I think you don't know what your talking about when you say greenpeace = morons. You can't defend that statement or the logic behind it so you resort to the 'pissed off hippies' line that also is clearly false. Make more rational statements of expect to get called on them.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
mactastic said:
No, I think you don't know what your talking about when you say greenpeace = morons. You can't defend that statement or the logic behind it so you resort to the 'pissed off hippies' line that also is clearly false. Make more rational statements of expect to get called on them.

I gave you the reason for me saying it.
I told you an example.

I don't know how else I can back up my own opinion of them.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
dopefiend said:
I gave you the reason for me saying it.
I told you an example.

I don't know how else I can back up my own opinion of them.

Your definition of moron is people who do things that people with half a brain (whatever that kind of definition is :rolleyes: ) know won't work, right?

I submit that is a statement that is so sweeping that it includes far more than just Greenpeace, it incorporates nearly everyone. (Have you ever tried to get a girls number when everyone around you 'with half a brain' knew you were out of your league? Then guess what that makes you!) Your credibility as a debater of factual information goes right out the window when you say things like that. Would you listen long to me if I posted saying 'Christians = Morons' and persisted in telling you that because they do stupid things that people with half a brain know won't work, would you buy that argument? I kinda doubt it.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I submit that is a statement that is so sweeping that it includes far more than just Greenpeace, it incorporates nearly everyone.

A lot of people fall into the "moron" catagory. ;)

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Maybe

I should have just opened this thread in politics.

I find humor and irony in that the person with the handle "dopefiend" is supporting the more conservative point of view with the person with an avatar that looks for all the world like an angry skinhead is taking the environmental stance.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
MongoTheGeek said:
I should have just opened this thread in politics.

I find humor and irony in that the person with the handle "dopefiend" is supporting the more conservative point of view with the person with an avatar that looks for all the world like an angry skinhead is taking the environmental stance.

Interesting world eh? :p

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
What are you talking about, that IS an angry skinhead!

But don't put me in the crazy environmentalist catagory (which seems to be the only brand of environmentalist Frohickey or dopefiend see). I don't think the environmental groups are taking the right stance in this instance, I mean come on... opposing a geothermal plant? Even if it does eff up the landscape, any kind of power generation method is going to do that and would you rather have a gas or coal fired plant, or a geothermal one looking ugly in your landscape?

But to go from there to "F*** environmentalists" and "Greenpeace = Morons" is stupid jingoism designed to tar an entire group with the views of their more extreme members.

Did you tar the entire Army with the abuse brush? So why tar the entire conservation movement with one?

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
mactastic said:
What are you talking about, that IS an angry skinhead!

:)

mactastic said:
But don't put me in the crazy environmentalist catagory (which seems to be the only brand of environmentalist Frohickey or dopefiend see). I don't think the environmental groups are taking the right stance in this instance, I mean come on... opposing a geothermal plant? Even if it does eff up the landscape, any kind of power generation method is going to do that and would you rather have a gas or coal fired plant, or a geothermal one looking ugly in your landscape?

But to go from there to "F*** environmentalists" and "Greenpeace = Morons" is stupid jingoism designed to tar an entire group with the views of their more extreme members.

Did you tar the entire Army with the abuse brush? So why tar the entire conservation movement with one?

I try not to lump the entire environmentalist movement together. I realize that there are well intentioned and well meaning people lumped in with the nutjobs and when you accuse them of being the nutjobs they tend to associate with them.

There are certain policies that *SOME* environmentalists have that I disagree with and I imagine that you disagree with as well. On the other hand there are policies that I like. I think its a good thing for people to buy land and hold it as pristine. I think it is good to take the lead out of gasoline.

I didn't mean to lump anyone I was just appreciating the irony. :) Its one of my few pleasures in life.

A side comment on the "F*** Environmentalists" said by someone it did make me think rather longingly of a certain hippie chick. She just couldn't stand that I had more leg hair than she did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.