Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
For the travelers here, how seamless is eSIM switching between your primary line and a travel eSIM?

My dad isn't very techie (and has no desire to learn). He has AT&T on his primary line and I'll be installing an Airalo eSIM just for data roaming. Can the iPhone switch automatically between the two networks depending on location/coverage with no user intervention required?
Give him a shortcut

Reactions: Lammy and hexagenia

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I have a question. My wife's phone is 13 PM. She has an esim for Verizon and a physical SIM for her number from China. How can I upgrade her phone to the 15PM with no physical SIM and use both numbera?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a question. My wife's phone is 13 PM. She has an esim for Verizon and a physical SIM for her number from China. How can I upgrade her phone to the 15PM with no physical SIM and use both numbera?
Unless the mobile provider supports eSIM, you can't.

Many networks here in Europe still don't support eSIM which is why phones sold here have a physical card slot.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003

No, there's no way to convert a physical SIM from a Chinese carrier to eSIM. But since Apple just released an iPad in China that supports eSIM, maybe it will be possible at some point in the future.

Reactions: ukms

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Caveat there, he might trigger the Shortcut accidentally if I put it somewhere easily accessible.

If you set the Airalo Data Roaming to On (which usually has to be on anyway for it to work), AT&T Data Roaming to Off, and turn on Allow Cellular Data Switching in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, the iPhone should be smart enough to use Airalo data automatically when there's no AT&T data. However, if the Airalo plan also includes US coverage, he might end up using Airalo at times even in when in the US, so I would recommend choosing a plan that doesn't include the US.

Reactions: rui no onna

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Haha somehow I read through a ton of pages and just a few posts above as the link I was looking for! Thanks!

Has anyone found a shortcut that switches the default Cellular Data line from one SIM to another? I have AT&T on one and Verizon on the other and routinely switch the default based on coverage, speed and known dead areas. I wish I could save having to go into settings every time to do it.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
The chanese carrier is T-Mobile will thst matter?
She might be roaming on T-Mobile when in the US, but the Chinese carrier is not T-Mobile if she has a Chinese phone number. It's most likely China Mobile, China Unicom, or China Telecom. If you take the SIM card out, you can see what carrier is printed on the SIM card.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
Was in a similar situation recently when I switched from my iPhone 12 mini (Xfinity Physical Sim and Indian carrier eSIM). Xfinity physical SIM to eSIM switch was seamless when I activated the 15 Pro but Indian carrier didn't support eSIM transfer. It was a pain, but managed to get family in India to get a new physical SIM from Indian carrier and had them initiate the eSIM transfer from India to 15 Pro in the US and now I have both eSIMs on my 15 Pro.

It can be done, but it is a bit of trouble to jump through the hoops. If the Chinese carrier doesn't support eSIM conversions, then it just may not be possible regardless of one willing to go through the trouble.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Unfortunately no Chinese carriers support eSIM for phones. I believe there is one carrier offering eSIM for iPads but from what I’ve read this won’t expand to phones.

Your best option really would be to try and get your 15PM from outside the US so it has a physical slot.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Is anyone having issues with dual SIM on the ATT iPhone 15 Pro Max? I have a business and personal line and no matter how I set always use the phone changes back to personal. My business is T-mobile.

I have been using the same dual sim setup for the last 2 years successfully.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
Is anyone having issues with dual SIM on the ATT iPhone 15 Pro Max? I have a business and personal line and no matter how I set always use the phone changes back to personal. My business is T-mobile.

Dual SIM or dual e-SIM? Have dual e-SIM with ATT with no issues. Xfinity Mobile on the other e-SIM.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

When you say the phone changes back to personal do you mean the default voice line changes ? Or when you make a call the call is made in a different line ?

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I have my phone default voice on business and by contact last used on text. When I have business text that I made they changed automatically to my personal line. I then tried to change back but it will continue to keep the personal line. I changed the contact from last used to always use business and no change. It still used my personal number to message.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have my phone default voice on business and by contact last used on text. When I have business text that I made they changed automatically to my personal line. I then tried to change back but it will continue to keep the personal line. I changed the contact from last used to always use business and no change. It still used my personal number to message.

Is this iMessage or regular SMS, if it’s iMessage have you got the business number enabled for iMessage ?

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Like I mentioned this is a new issue. I have been using dual eSIM for two years since my iPhone 14. And SIM card and eSIM with iPhone 13.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It is iMessage and they are both enabled to send and receive.
I’ve run out of ideas … sorry 😃 ….

Just to add that I use 2 lines every day one is my local UAE line the other my UK line and I’ve never had the lines flip like that, if they did I would have huge roaming charges.

Reactions: Turtle353

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
No problem. It is the first time I’ve ever had an issue. I was flying so flipping airplane mode on and off. I restarted with no change. I’ll try to uninstall and install the eSIM again.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It comes in dual eSim, nano sim + eSIM and dual nano sim.

The AT&T (US) model are eSIM only. Dual nano is only for China/HK while nano+eSIM is rest of the world.

The poster specifically mentioned ATT iPhone 15 Pro Max ergo eSIM-only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.