Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The only choice you have is if you have are a permanent resident with an Alien Certification or ACR-I
Or you register it to someone you know and trust.
Or you live in one of the supported countries: https://help.gcash.com/hc/en-us/articles/900005342766-Use-GCash-Overseas

I’m dual citizen and have a Philippine ID and permanent local address so no need for those. GCash overseas is very limited compared to local GCash. Besides, it doesn’t solve the problem of Philippine banks requiring a local number for OTP.

The problem with the Globe Travele eSIM is it expires automatically after 30 days. No way to extend it. Only option is to buy a new eSIM (with new number).

Reactions: Cruncher

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Currently in the Philippines and I’m really glad my iPhone (SE3) still has a pSIM slot.

Only one carrier offers regular prepaid eSIM here (Smart/TNT). It works fine in most areas but there are a few locations where coverage is nonexistent. I bought a $1 Globe SIM pack from a convenience store and subscribed to a $2 18GB promo. Problem solved. On eSIM, options are very limited and quite a bit pricier particularly if one needs 5G support.

eSIM is nice and quite convenient when it works. Unfortunately, carrier support is still quite limited particularly in less developed nations.

Yes but it is definitely growing. The UK carriers are finally letting PAYG customers get eSIM. I was able to convert my pSIM on Three to eSIM quite easily via the website. Will come in handy when I travel back there next month.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes but it is definitely growing. The UK carriers are finally letting PAYG customers get eSIM. I was able to convert my pSIM on Three to eSIM quite easily via the website. Will come in handy when I travel back there next month.

True. I guess the US iPhones going eSIM only has kinda forced some carriers’ hands.

Postpaid eSIM has been available for years in the Philippine and local telcos have noted prepaid eSIMs were “coming soon” on their websites. However, it wasn’t until after the eSIM-only iPhone 14 was released that they actually took action.

Our next visit will likely be in 2 years (LAX-MNL-LAX airfare is so expensive, especially for 4 people). Hopefully by then, I can do dual eSIM for Smart and Globe instead of my current Smart eSIM + Globe pSIM.

Gotta say, it’s very nice that Smart’s eSIM QR codes are reusable so it’s easy to transfer it to a new phone.

Link00seven

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, USA
Not quite airplane mode but I’d like to have a disable roaming option for voice+message+data that actually works properly.
In addition to ensuring that data roaming charges are completely avoided, this would also help with the battery destroying scenario of having a US-based eSIM that continuously searches for a signal forever (if you have a carrier that doesn't connect at all abroad) despite a functional data international eSIM providing Wi-Fi Calling over Cellular to the US eSIM line.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In addition to ensuring that data roaming charges are completely avoided, this would also help with the battery destroying scenario of having a US-based eSIM that continuously searches for a signal forever (if you have a carrier that doesn't connect at all abroad) despite a functional data international eSIM providing Wi-Fi Calling over Cellular to the US eSIM line.

True. An option to use “Calls over WiFi/cellular data only while roaming” would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.