Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
The AT&T (US) model are eSIM only. Dual nano is only for China/HK while nano+eSIM is rest of the world.

The poster specifically mentioned ATT iPhone 15 Pro Max ergo eSIM-only.

Did you read the words in the post I quoted and was therefore answering?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Change the shortcut to ask for confirmation or put it in a folder

That won't work either. He often presses OK without reading the prompts. If I put it in a folder, the difficulty level would be the same as if I'd just told him where the Settings are.

Anyway, thank you for the shortcut as that gave me a starting point.

I modified the shortcut so it doesn't change the carrier but instead allow cellular data switching on the active data line. Then I created an automation scheduled to run on the day of their return flight. Worst case, I get charged $15 ($10+5) for 1 day of international day pass. That's a lot better than $105 7 days on IDP or $$$$ on pay per use.

Mind, for Philippine travelers, the other major PH carrier (Globe) just released prepaid eSIMs for tourists. Caveat, it's pricier than local rates: ₱1750 (~$32) for 30 days, 80GB, unlimited SMS and unlimited calls (not sure if this includes landlines). The local SIM would only cost ₱600-750 for 80-100GB.

Reactions: max2

BijouMan

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
For the travelers here, how seamless is eSIM switching between your primary line and a travel eSIM?

My dad isn't very techie (and has no desire to learn). He has AT&T on his primary line and I'll be installing an Airalo eSIM just for data roaming. Can the iPhone switch automatically between the two networks depending on location/coverage with no user intervention required?
For best results, contact your carrier back home to block international roaming. You may need to try speaking with several different employees as not all of them may understand exactly what you want. Once this is done, your status bar should look something like this:

full

Your home line will then connect to its Wi-Fi Calling server using the internet connection of your destination line. This will allow you to make and receive calls and SMS/MMS messages on your home line without incurring any roaming charges. Your home line will not do this if it has a connection.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For best results, contact your carrier back home to block international roaming. You may need to try speaking with several different employees as not all of them may understand exactly what you want.

That sounds awful.

Anyway, I’ll just be forwarding the calls to Google Voice. I believe receiving SMS is free and that’s mainly what we need for OTPs, etc. We don’t really need to do outgoing calls or SMS on the US line. We can just use FB Messenger, WhatsApp or Google Voice if we need to contact someone in the US.

Not as good as your solution but the thought of calling customer service multiple times and waiting on hold forever gives me a headache.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
That sounds awful.

Anyway, I’ll just be forwarding the calls to Google Voice. I believe receiving SMS is free and that’s mainly what we need for OTPs, etc. We don’t really need to do outgoing calls or SMS on the US line. We can just use FB Messenger, WhatsApp or Google Voice if we need to contact someone in the US.

Not as good as your solution but the thought of calling customer service multiple times and waiting on hold forever gives me a headache.

Be careful using call forwarding when traveling internationally. It’s one thing to let the call go unanswered to carrier voicemail, but sometimes having a call forwarded to a different phone number, such as Google Voice, will count as making a roaming phone call if the phone is connected to a foreign tower.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Be careful using call forwarding when traveling internationally. It’s one thing to let the call go unanswered to carrier voicemail, but sometimes having a call forwarded to a different phone number, such as Google Voice, will count as making a roaming phone call if the phone is connected to a foreign tower.

A permanent call forwarding will never count as roaming. Only the conditional forwardings (like "forward if not answered" or "forward on busy") count as roaming.

Reactions: rui no onna

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
A permanent call forwarding will never count as roaming. Only the conditional forwardings (like "forward if not answered" or "forward on busy") count as roaming.

That makes sense. Many people using Google Voice do have conditional forwarding set to use as voicemail, so I just wanted to point out that there are times when roaming will be charged. If you set it using the iPhone menu, is it considered permanent, or do you have to use the *21* GSM feature code?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
That makes sense. Many people using Google Voice do have conditional forwarding set to use as voicemail, so I just wanted to point out that there are times when roaming will be charged. If you set it using the iPhone menu, is it considered permanent, or do you have to use the *21* GSM feature code?

By doing some tests it seems like what you do from the iPhone menu is permanent, but to be safe I always use the GSM codes myself.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Mind, for Philippine travelers, the other major PH carrier (Globe) just released prepaid eSIMs for tourists. Caveat, it's pricier than local rates: ₱1750 (~$32) for 30 days, 80GB, unlimited SMS and unlimited calls (not sure if this includes landlines). The local SIM would only cost ₱600-750 for 80-100GB.

Better buy the Smart eSIM from theri store for 99p. You will get up to 21GB for Free.
I booked a Magic Data Package with 600min, 600 Text and 48GB of data for 749p which never expires. I just came back from 1 Mont Philippines and I still have 40GB left. I think I can use it for a few years if nothing changes. But for regular tourists the SIM will only be active for 30 days or as long as the visa is valid. For me as Balikbayan I registered my Sim permanently :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Better buy the Smart eSIM from theri store for 99p. You will get up to 21GB for Free.
I booked a Magic Data Package with 600min, 600 Text and 48GB of data for 749p which never expires. I just came back from 1 Mont Philippines and I still have 40GB left. I think I can use it for a few years if nothing changes. But for regular tourists the SIM will only be active for 30 days or as long as the visa is valid. For me as Balikbayan I registered my Sim permanently :)

I got the Smart prepaid eSIM on day 1 (or at least day 1 when they made email delivery available). Globe announced digital delivery of prepaid eSIMs back in August but Smart beat them to the punch. Even now, there's no Globe prepaid eSIM for locals and their tourist promo is overpriced.

I already activated and registered our eSIMs so the 21GB freebie is already lost. Same as you, we went for the MagicData+ 749 promo.

Surprisingly, the eSIM went on roaming automatically so I was able to sign up for GCash, Maya, Shopee, Grab, etc. We're balikbayans as well so permanent SIM registration. I need it for PH bank accounts I lost access to due to lack of local number for OTP.

Remember to reload at least P5-10 every year to your eSIM. The promo may not expire but the SIM will if not reloaded within a year. Also, make to keep at least P1 load. I think the SIM will also expire if it's P0 balance for 120 days or so.

Reactions: Cruncher

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I am in PH at least twice a year but with Magic Data I need to remember to at least to get some load once a year. That`s a good point. Thanks. I am also doing that for my Smart Bro SIM for my Pocket Wifi.

Also the last 2 times I went out of country I did not actiavate Roaming manually (Roam On to 333) and it worked without issues. I know globe does it automatically. According to the Smart Website it is still neccessary to do so. Even without I can still get my GCash Card OTP`s and stuff without any issues.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Have AT&T service and plan to get an iPhone 15 PM over the weekend. Since the new iPhones are e-sim now, is it possible to switch back and forth my cell service from my iPhone 11 PM to 15PM and vice versa? If so, how is it possible to do so? TIA

**edit** before anyone replies. I'm in the US and US is unfortunately e-sim only.

Last edited:

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Have AT&T service and plan to get an iPhone 15 PM over the weekend. Since the new iPhones are e-sim now, is it possible to switch back and forth my cell service from my iPhone 11 PM to 15PM and vice versa? If so, how is it possible to do so? TIA

**edit** before anyone replies. I'm in the US and US is unfortunately e-sim only.

I haven't gone back and forth multiple times, but with iOS 17, it's easy. You just go to Settings > Cellular > Add eSIM, and the iPhone will ask you if you want to transfer the phone number from a nearby iPhone. Once you confirm on the other iPhone that has the active eSIM, the transfer should be seamless.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I haven't gone back and forth multiple times, but with iOS 17, it's easy. You just go to Settings > Cellular > Add eSIM, and the iPhone will ask you if you want to transfer the phone number from a nearby iPhone. Once you confirm on the other iPhone that has the active eSIM, the transfer should be seamless.
Appreciate it. I'm picking up my phone later this afternoon and looking forward to joining the new iPhone club after four years with my 11.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
My iPhone 13 mini mainboard fried while traveling overseas and I had to buy a new phone. So thankful I had a physical T-mobile that I could pop out and insert into the new iPhone 15 (overseas models come with a physical sim slot!). This process would’ve been a nightmare with an eSIM.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
My iPhone 13 mini mainboard fried while traveling overseas and I had to buy a new phone. So thankful I had a physical T-mobile that I could pop out and insert into the new iPhone 15 (overseas models come with a physical sim slot!). This process would’ve been a nightmare with an eSIM.

Having both a physical SIM slot and eSIM support would be ideal, but there are benefits to both physical SIMs and eSIMs. If your phone is lost or stolen, your SIM card would be gone. With eSIM, you could buy a new iPhone and find a way to call the carrier with the IMEI and EID to get an eSIM downloaded to the new phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Currently in the Philippines and I’m really glad my iPhone (SE3) still has a pSIM slot.

Only one carrier offers regular prepaid eSIM here (Smart/TNT). It works fine in most areas but there are a few locations where coverage is nonexistent. I bought a $1 Globe SIM pack from a convenience store and subscribed to a $2 18GB promo. Problem solved. On eSIM, options are very limited and quite a bit pricier particularly if one needs 5G support.

eSIM is nice and quite convenient when it works. Unfortunately, carrier support is still quite limited particularly in less developed nations.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Interesting post on the Voxi Reddit sub group

067abfc5b1c8433a84f717edece06fc2.jpg
Very suspicious.
Very unlikely Apple would remove the SIM in Europe anytime soon, especially because European SKUs are also used in Africa and some parts of Asia where eSIM are not prevalent at all (it would mean more SKUs).
iPhones aren't as popular in Europe as they are in the US so that would be one more reason for people to buy Android phones.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Very suspicious.
Very unlikely Apple would remove the SIM in Europe anytime soon, especially because European SKUs are also used in Africa and some parts of Asia where eSIM are not prevalent at all (it would mean more SKUs).
iPhones aren't as popular in Europe as they are in the US so that would be one more reason for people to buy Android phones.

It was heavily rumoured for last year, it is making more sense they would do it this year. 2 years after the US. Apple are known for making radical decisions.

Last edited:

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Apple are known for making radical decisions.
They are, but for things that
1. are already on their way out because of declining usage
2. have retrocompatible alternatives
For example, CDs were on their way out when Apple removed the SuperDrive AND had a viable alternatives (external SuperDrives).
For USB-A, same thing: on its way out; adapters.

eSIMs do not have retrocompatible alternatives. If the mobile network doesn't support eSIM, you're out of luck. AND the situation is quite messy (e.g. some network not allowing eSIM transfers, or using plastic QR Code eSIMs which requires a new one when swapping devices).
Plus a lot of people, especially businesses won't like the inability to just pop out the SIM and put it in a new phone.
Apple could pull it off in the US because of their marketshare, but anywhere else it'll be a failure. I'll be the first person to tap out. Including for the business I own.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
+1. I’m thinking of getting an iPhone 15 Plus (nano SIM+eSIM) on our Philippine trip.
went to the Philippines 2 months ago, I’ve used their local carrier Globeone travelers e-sim no issues, you’ll be given a local phone number with unlimited voice and text messages.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
went to the Philippines 2 months ago, I’ve used their local carrier Globeone travelers e-sim no issues, you’ll be given a local phone number with unlimited voice and text messages.

That expires in 30 days though. I need a number that won’t expire for GCash, etc. I used Smart eSIM + Globe nano SIM on my SE3.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.