Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Who cares if they got paid 1M. So much work and effort they put into the jailbreak why should they work for free?

Getting paid is no big deal, it's who is doing the paying and the reasons why they're paying.

I've seen lots of hacks and mods be held back behind a funding wall. Nothing wrong with that if the hacker chooses to be compensated.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
From what I understand the Chinese don't respect much of anything, much less a contract with some hackers , I bet they burned em and now evaders has flipped the kill switch.

Not to say all dealings are legit and have no issues, but generally speaking... the Chinese are actually know for being pretty straightforward in their dealings - no strings attached, i.e. "We give you X, we expect Y from you..."

No mile long file print in their contracts...

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

You're taking an incident that has occurred ONE time over the many years jailbreaking has existed and generalizing it as one big reason to ditch the entire OS. That's like saying you bit into an Apple and found it was rotten, therefore you should only eat pears from that point forward.

Why did you capitalize apple? I'm genuinely curious.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Who cares if they got paid 1M. So much work and effort they put into the jailbreak why should they work for free?

They always did the work for free in the hopes that they'd get donations and sell their tweaks. That work usually paid off presumably in tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars.

After all, the main objective of jailbreaking was based on principle of device freedom. Selling out like they did–rushing the jailbreak, not vetting that Taig app properly, throwing legacy jailbreak scene developers under the bus, etc–all of that is what leaves a tainted mark in the eyes of many for this evaders team. In my view, it's not a respectable way about doing business.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Getting paid is no big deal, it's who is doing the paying and the reasons why they're paying.

I've seen lots of hacks and mods be held back behind a funding wall. Nothing wrong with that if the hacker chooses to be compensated.

i really see nothing wrong. So they probably have agreed to include some chinese piracy app along with the jailbreak for Chinese users. so what. if you don't like piracy don't use it simple as that.

Although they should have waited till Apple released iOS 7.1 publicly. But since they wanted to release it before anyone else did since there were reports that their jailbrake was stolen.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
everybody should just back off.
  1. there is no hard evidence that information is being sent anywhere
  2. taig has been removed from the jailbreak
  3. saurik has admitted that he too was aware of taig and he did know about the jailbreak just not the release date
  4. THESE PEOPLE DESERVE MONEY
  5. they are donating all contribution to a good cause
  6. they work their asses off and do they make money? no! but the guys who make tweaks (and arguably work nowhere near as hard as the evaders) get paid!
  7. do you donate to them? probably you don't. who puts food on their tables.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
And this is why I do not **** with jailbreaking my iOS devices. I am also sure the only thing that was installed was a Chinese app store. /sarcasm

There may be something else happening behind the sheets, something that goes beyond software piracy, but I'm not going to test it to see what it is.

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013

He's being paid to include a piracy store with the jailbreak. A disgrace to the community.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
He's being paid to include a piracy store with the jailbreak. A disgrace to the community.

Do you even read? Not to mention it's no longer included in future installs. Jailbreak time, when all the whiners come out.

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Do you even read? Not to mention it's no longer included in future installs. Jailbreak time, when all the whiners come out.

Yes, I read. Your point? And it is still included, at least according to MacRumors.

"Furthermore, the developers also claim that they were unaware that Taig contained pirated apps upon access, and say they are removing instances of piracy and that Taig had contractually agreed not to serve pirated apps. They say they "will continue to monitor this issue and work to resolve it completely" and that Taig will be removed if it can't be resolved."

So it's still included, but they're "removing" all the pirated stuff. Yeah, like how YouTube makes sure nothing on it is pirated.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Jailbreaking and loving the outlaw

It's nice enough to be able to download apps that do things Apple doesn't want. Cool. It's your phone, blah, blah. But the lyric says, "to live outside the law you must be honest." Unfortunately, most people you find outside the law are not instantly recognizable as purveyors of malware, and so on. The idea of jailbreaking and rooting means taking chances. No thanks.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's nice enough to be able to download apps that do things Apple doesn't want. Cool. It's your phone, blah, blah. But the lyric says, "to live outside the law you must be honest." Unfortunately, most people you find outside the law are not instantly recognizable as purveyors of malware, and so on. The idea of jailbreaking and rooting means taking chances. No thanks.

If you were honest, why then would you need to life outside the law?

That said, what happens to the one million since the jailbreakers are apparently not living up to the end of their deal? Do they return the money? Or just keep it? What's the worse the app piracy company can do? Report the case to the police?

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine

Yep, no thanks. Anyone who believes the jailbreak community has not been compromised is a fool. Unless your purpose for jailbreaking is piracy...in which case, this is a godsend. This is a sea-change for jailbreakers...a sad day. Even if malicious intent is repelled this time, the future looks bleak for the community.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Anyone who is familiar with the jailbreaker community knows that this isn't the first controversy , geohot, and the guys have always disputed ,

That being said , these guys deserve the money , I don't care about the controversy and I sure as hell love that they're still active ,

This isn't a time to say android rom bull crap

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
There are a lot of forums are reporting it isn't just a simple App downloader, it also consistently uploading data from the phone to the 360 company server. All the data were encrypted and unknown what its doing.

360 is also known to backdoor people's computer and collect data on record.

Evasi0n really screwed up this time. Money makes people change I guess... :rolleyes:

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Happily using stock, secure Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5. You guys have entered the shady world that Android has always been accused of. Nope, all is well here. If you want features and flexibility, get a Nexus 5 / Moto X. Life is great on this side. Android is beautiful and has come such a long way.

I find stock Android insufferable on my Nexus 7. No such suffocating feelings on stock iOS on my iPhone.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
This is a big blow to jailbreakers images. Majority of them don't engage/are against piracy. Whoever allowed this app into the jailbreak in the first place should be ashamed.

Furthermore, whoever does engage in piracy are pretty awful if you ask me. People spend a lot of time and effort to make apps/movies/music etc. If you can't be bothered to compensate developers or artists for their work, you should suck it up and live without their work.

maybe kill the in app...maybe then it would alleviate some problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.