Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
There are some OSes that are not. In fact there is no reason to believe all OSes are exploitable. From observation over the last 50 years I'd say only a minority of them are.

I gather that you don't know a single thing about security or programming because I highly doubt someone would make that much of a blanket statement if they did.

Sent from one of my 4 non-Jailbroken iDevices.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
This is a big blow to jailbreakers images. Majority of them don't engage/are against piracy. Whoever allowed this app into the jailbreak in the first place should be ashamed.

Furthermore, whoever does engage in piracy are pretty awful if you ask me. People spend a lot of time and effort to make apps/movies/music etc. If you can't be bothered to compensate developers or artists for their work, you should suck it up and live without their work.

Agreed... jailbreaking is often linked with piracy by those not in the know. I constantly have to defend my decision to jailbreak from claims of piracy. FWIW I pay for all my app store apps AND cydia apps/utilities/hacks/customizations.

This also makes me wonder if we were waiting for the deal to come through rather than the team to release a jailbreak. They've recently started touring the world running conferences. Not that they can't, but this now means the jailbreakers are seriously cashing in on their work. Is this the same old spirit or a brave new world?

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
There are some OSes that are not. In fact there is no reason to believe all OSes are exploitable. From observation over the last 50 years I'd say only a minority of them are.

Name one OS that can't be exploited and why it is impossible to exploit that OS...

All walls can be climbed, it's just a matter of what lengths people will go to. Apple is making it harder with every iOS release (remember the first iOS JB involved going to a website in safari and clicking 'jailbreak', now it's all of this low-level $he-it that takes a damn good software engineer to understand).

Android (aka Linux)... anybody can hack. OS X (aka UNIX) can be hacked... Windows is notorious for exploits. This leaves unpopular/alternative/specific purpose OS' to choose from.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
I would never install a jailbreak with Chinese privacy stealing malware on my iPhone. I guess we should all wait for another Jailbreak :)

Last edited by a moderator:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's okay; instead of having our data stolen by the US (NSA), it's transmitted to the Chinese. It's all the same.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
I'm okay with folks that want to jailbreak to rid them of the dreaded phone company monopolies or to use an alternate source of apps from cydia. But hacked apps? I can't believe people in the tech community would tolerate such a thing, there's no rational justification. Theres a lot of individuals and small teams that make a living in app development, its total BS to steal their work.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
And with the imminent release of the iPhone on China Mobile, you can bet this sweetens the deal on an overpriced 5C when they can get the guy next door to the China Mobile store to load it with $100 of pirated apps!

Sad as it is, this kind of dodgy business model is what works here.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Ugh.. what an ugly, ugly mess this jailbreaking scene is. It's like stepping back down into the Windows world and all it's rogue, dodgy software.
It has no place in an Apple eco system.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
In times like these I am reminded of the words from this song:-

Money talks, mmm-hmm-hmm, money talks
Dirty cash I want you, dirty cash I need you, woh-oh
Money talks, money talks
Dirty cash I want you, dirty cash I need you, woh-oh

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Most people on here seem to fail to realise that Taig was only installed if you had your language set to Chinese .
Everyone else gets Cydia and those with Taig can still install Cydia and remove Taig.

It's still poor show failing to check taig properly before releasing it with their jail break and killing their reputation

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Name one OS that can't be exploited and why it is impossible to exploit that OS...

All walls can be climbed, it's just a matter of what lengths people will go to. Apple is making it harder with every iOS release (remember the first iOS JB involved going to a website in safari and clicking 'jailbreak', now it's all of this low-level $he-it that takes a damn good software engineer to understand).

Android (aka Linux)... anybody can hack. OS X (aka UNIX) can be hacked... Windows is notorious for exploits. This leaves unpopular/alternative/specific purpose OS' to choose from.

In theory, it should be possible to create an OS that can't be hacked, but even if such an OS is created, every update can potentially change that fact. All it takes is one exploitable bug.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"the developers also claim that they were unaware that Taig contained pirated apps upon access"

What else were they unaware, or "unaware", of?

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Not really. Android has come a long way in terms of Android, but it's nowhere near as beautiful and solid as iOS. Fact is that iOS is faster, more efficient and way more stable and secure.

BTW, I've owned Android phones. I'm not some Apple die-hard doing a knee-jerk defense here. You can go on and on all day long about how much more flexible Android is than iOS but at the end of the day, all that flexibility piled on top of an unstable, unpredictable OS that is more often than not difficult to deal with
it's your opinion. Arguable. The end of quote explains it all. Keep your iOS and continue to feel safe. If you talk about unstable and unpredictable OS you don't have a clue of Android 4.x. Seems a comment from 2010. Cheers.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
While I'm not a fan of stealing software, especially when iOS apps are so cheap, nor am I a fan of having what now... four freaking app stores on my iPad, three of which will sit in a folder unused, if this allows us the ability to fix up that awful iOS7 UI, I'm a fan.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There have been so many stupid comments here about NSA spying on people.

Now when you think about it, what better way to install spyware on an iPhone than by using a jailbreak, which installs software on your iPhone that comes from totally untrusted sources (in this case, claims to come from a Chinese company providing pirated apps), so the suckers can't even complain.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Who cares if they got paid 1M. So much work and effort they put into the jailbreak why should they work for free?

Because it is the chinese, and you DON'T trust the chinese. Installing this jailbreak is like leaving your front door open. I would not be surprised if a load of financial and personal information has already been stolen.

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Ouch, this is a big blow. I´ve never been a big fan of jailbreaking for this very reason. I would only do it without concern, if i´d be tech savvy enough to find the exploit myself, so that I know which software does get installed. Using a Third Party App always has its risks. Then again, a hack or jailbreak does not bear any big advantages. iOS7 is fine the way it is for me.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Very shady move regardless how many times they try to sugarcoat it, although choosing to Jailbreak is voluntarily and they are not forcing anyone to use their utility but they have ruined years of relationship based on trust with the jailbreak community that they have simply sold out for money. This is not different (actually much worse) than Software bundled with toolbars and spyware. They should have known better and how furious people would be.

If you can afford an iPhone you should at least be able to afford a bunch of essential apps without having to resort to piracy. The people behind the Jailbreak should issue a public apology asap.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
No doubt about it: Apple deliberately released this Jailbreak to ensure the success of the 5s/5c when it launches next month on China Mobile.

iPhones with no jailbreak would have been much less attractive to the Chinese market. They aren't interested in paying for apps!

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
So funny to see all of the comments assuming that an app store company in China means NSA-style of spying. A lot of people obviously have a wrong impression at China. Come on, they are just elementary students in the world of spying. What they are good at is working around the payment system, in non-technically-advanced methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.