Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Since updating my MacBook Air (2020, Intel) to MacOS 12.2 I'm having problems with two external WD 2TB SSDs.

The strange thing is, it's all been working fine for > 1 year and suddenly isn't.

If I connect one (via a USB to USB-C adapter) and drag and drop files to it, at some point it will tell me the drive has "disappeared" and it appears to dismount. This can be quite quick, or after 10-20 minutes, it's random.

When I connect two (one in each USB port), and run rsync to back up my back up, at some random point the terminal will report a "broken pipe" and lock up. Both drives then disappear from the desktop.

I would suspect a lack of power problem, but this exact same set up has been working since I bought the MacBook in 2020 and is only now going wrong. So all the hardware is the same. The only difference is I have recently done a major OS upgrade from 11.x to 12.2.

Can anyone please suggest where to start with this?

Reactions: photo_maker

JW5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
An update on this.

After posting the above I had a search here and on Google and sadly this seems to be a problem with Monterey. It also got a lot worse for me with the drives only lasting 2 or 3 minutes before dismounting; I could not even save any data off them back onto my MacBook.

However today my cheap and cheerful 4 port USB hub arrived. As above I got this in case it was a power problem before reading that Monterey has issues with some external devices, even hubs.

Pleased to say, both drives now work fine and it did an rsync from one to another for around 50GB and an hour or so of file transfers. This solution - requiring a power outlet for the hub - is far from portable and to stress this all worked fine on Big Sur. But at least this has saved me downgrading the OS but I might still do this, depending on whether my Samsung T7 works (as that's critical for video work and I don't want that running off a hub!).

Edit - this stopped working, see my other posts below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quddy and gradi

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Glad to hear it's working again. I was going to suggest that the drives might be dying.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
An update on this.

After posting the above I had a search here and on Google and sadly this seems to be a problem with Monterey. It also got a lot worse for me with the drives only lasting 2 or 3 minutes before dismounting; I could not even save any data off them back onto my MacBook.

However today my cheap and cheerful 4 port USB hub arrived. As above I got this in case it was a power problem before reading that Monterey has issues with some external devices, even hubs.

Pleased to say, both drives now work fine and it did an rsync from one to another for around 50GB and an hour or so of file transfers. This solution - requiring a power outlet for the hub - is far from portable and to stress this all worked fine on Big Sur. But at least this has saved me downgrading the OS but I might still do this, depending on whether my Samsung T7 works (as that's critical for video work and I don't want that running off a hub!).
What external hub did you get? I’m having this problem as well.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Check also your internal SSD health, I noticed a lot of such errors occur when internal disk's volume directory is corrupted (very hard to fix, btw).

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I experience the same unstable behaviour. The drives are ok, it is definitely a macos Monterey problem.

Apple got really sloppy with software implementations of standards recently, regarding the last two years. We had and have many failures regarding HDMI, USB3 and internal SD Card readers with hardware (cables, monitors etc.) working absolutely fine on other systems (Windopws 10/11 and Linux Ubuntu).

JW5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
What external hub did you get? I’m having this problem as well.

To quote from Amazon UK, "USB Hub Powered 3.0 RSHTECH Aluminum USB C to 4-port USB 3.0 Data Hub with Individual On/Off Switches and 5V/2A Power Supply (4 ports,Black".

Note this is a horrendous (cheap) product of itself, it crashes the Mac if you plug a drive into a slot which has been toggled to "off", but it has stopped my dismount errors and I can use my two WD drives OK. Also it defeats the point of a laptop given you need a power socket to run the hub :(

Very much a last resort in preference to rolling back to Big Sur.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
An update on this and it's not good.

After working fine with the hub mentioned above, both drives are now continually and randomly unmounting making using them impossible. This is despite also updating to 12.2.1.

I have tried again connecting them to an older MacBook Pro (running an older OS) and they work fine, which again makes me think this issue in my Air, which has only happened since updating to Monteray, is OS related.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go through the reset/reinstall BigSur path.

I'll pop back in a few days to let you know how this went.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
An update on this and it's not good.

After working fine with the hub mentioned above, both drives are now continually and randomly unmounting making using them impossible. This is despite also updating to 12.2.1.

I have tried again connecting them to an older MacBook Pro (running an older OS) and they work fine, which again makes me think this issue in my Air, which has only happened since updating to Monteray, is OS related.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go through the reset/reinstall BigSur path.

I'll pop back in a few days to let you know how this went.
Please do because mine is still having problems with older hard drives as well

JW5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
@WinterWolf90 I updated today actually on this thread:

They're working fine again now on Big Sur. It was a painful downgrade as I had to factory reset then update from Catalina to Big Sur. It took ages and I had to install all my apps again. However I rely on external drives for work, so I had no choice. I'll remain on Big Sur now.

gradi

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2022
I experience the same unstable behaviour. The drives are ok, it is definitely a macos Monterey problem.

Apple got really sloppy with software implementations of standards recently, regarding the last two years. We had and have many failures regarding HDMI, USB3 and internal SD Card readers with hardware (cables, monitors etc.) working absolutely fine on other systems (Windopws 10/11 and Linux Ubuntu).
For some time I have been very interested in getting one of the new Apple Silicon computers. I bought an M1 iMac 16gb/512gb recently, but returned it for various reasons. My plan is to wait to see what comes out on March 8th and then decide what to do, but probably a 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro or an M1 Mac Mini (M1 Pro Mac Mini if announced on March 8th). Unfortunately, after reading all over the internet of the vast numbers of problems with external monitors (which I use), keyboard/mouse/Bluetooth problems, wifi, etc., etc., etc. I am getting cold feet. :(

For the last 25 years I have owned many Windows PCs (desktops and laptops) and they have all worked just fine. I can't even remember any problems in the 21st Century with any of them. Plug something in and it just works. I have owned multiple monitors of various brands and never gave a second's thought about whether it would work properly when I connected it to any of my various brand computers. They all just work and I switch them around between computers and they just work. Same for keyboards, same for mice, same for external drives. It just works. It is a culture shock finding out that if I switch to Apple that it is so different. Naturally, I am asking myself, am I so enamored with the Apple Silicon architecture, low energy, performance, etc. that I will accept a system that just does not work in so many cases and be a constant source of headaches? Of course, I realize that many people with M1 Macs who do not have any problems and that there are people who have a Windows PC that do have problems. No need for tribal, religious wars about Apple Macs vs. Windows PCs. That is childish.

Well, I will continue to think it over until March 8th....

Last edited:
Reactions: Farrol

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
@WinterWolf90 I updated today actually on this thread:

They're working fine again now on Big Sur. It was a painful downgrade as I had to factory reset then update from Catalina to Big Sur. It took ages and I had to install all my apps again. However I rely on external drives for work, so I had no choice. I'll remain on Big Sur now.

I figured it was the system because I had hard drives that were brand new that would not function. Maybe with the next update it will go back to normal. but the fact it has made it this far and was not addressed is concerning.

Reactions: gradi

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
it doesn't because its a Mac OS software problem. so until they fix it :(

Last edited by a moderator:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Correct. I posted this in another thread but perhaps it better belongs in this one...

Just received my new Mac Studio Ultra. Same external drive issues: won't remain consistently mounted... seems to randomly eject and the notification warning about ejecting pops up like I pulled the cord. It will eject on sleep but will also eject if I don't let the Studio go to sleep, such as when consistently using it. It will also eject if I don't let the drive go to sleep, including one ejection WHILE transferring files from it (so definitely not asleep).

This does not seem to be a tiny problem. Searches for this issue will point to a fair number of posts here, on other sites and in Apple support forums about THIS issue since BigSur but seemingly even greater since Monterey.

This SAME drive using the SAME cable hooked back up to Intel Macs running earlier macOS remains connected in a stable state for days... as it did for months at a time before I opted to upgrade to this new Mac Studio.

I purchased this enclosure new in 2018 from OWC. It is a 2-disc RAID box and I purchased both HDDs inside at the same time. RAID-0 makes it 28TB (yes, I have backups) and I have about half that holding mostly media to stream to AppleTVs around the house via home sharing: home movies, DVD/BR collection, etc. Since 2018, it has worked exactly as expected on my Intel iMac. Now I feel lucky if it will remain connected to this Studio for even 3 hours.

I think I've tried everything that a user can try:
  • 2 new cables USB-A to USB-B
  • testing both USB A jacks on the Studio
  • tested 2 reliable hubs in-between to see if that might work better than a direct connection
  • attaching, manually ejecting, rebooting, attaching
  • attaching, manually ejecting, shutting down, attaching, rebooting
  • on an idea that maybe only the Studio USB-A jacks might have a bug, I ordered a USB-C to USB-B cable and that yields the same result too. So the bug seems to affect ALL of the jacks.
  • there's several references online to using terminal app option: sudo command to change disk sleep from 10 to the maximum number. Tried that, no difference.
  • tried a THIRD USB-A to USB-B cable just in case I happened to have 2 bad ones (even though the primary has worked and continues to work fine with Intel Mac connections)
  • every combination of Power Saver options. I think there is probably something there as I can almost make the eject happen by putting it to sleep- but not EVERY time. Many times the eject happens while actively using the Studio.
I didn't use migration assistant for this new Mac. Instead I have manually installed the apps I use one by one to have the cleanest possible install. Since it is brand new, I'm doubting the (zap the) PRAM-type options apply and as a cleanest install, I'm confident I don't have junk stuff migrated from the Intel Mac because I didn't migrate anything.

The LAST thing I could try myself is reformatting it in Monterey, though First Aid confirms nothing wrong and again it works exactly as it should when hooked back up to Intel Macs running earlier macOS versions. It's already in APFS and has been for a few years. I feel like the reformat option will simply have me hooking it and a backup to an old Mac to reload the drive with the same files (about 15TB) to get it back to as it is now. Besides, given how readily it (self) ejects, I'm chicken about trying this option out of concern that it ejects WHILE the formatting process is underway.

At this point- through a good effort at process of elimination- I increasingly feel the problem is in Monterey... but am wide open to anything else I could try myself. On Apple support forums, someone suggested that some drives work and some don't but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell WHICH, so it would be a game of consumer roulette trying to guess... then hope it will maintain a stable connection. Besides this is a 2-drive RAID setup and there is less of that kind of input from the "works perfectly fine for me" crowd.

I really want the U in USB to apply here

This new Mac cost over $6K and seems "latest-greatest." Of all things that could be wrong with a first-gen device, I would think a standard that has existed for what- 20+ years now- should be well implemented and thoroughly debugged by this point. Didn't those FIRST iMacs come with USB jacks?

Obviously, I'm very frustrated with this situation. I miss "just works."

If there's anything else I can try, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

stevebaker42

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Had the same issue with my new Mac Studio Ultra running Monterey 12.4. My two external Western Digital drives (used for Carbon Copy Cloner backups) would self-dismount after 2-3 minutes of use. The drives had been plugged into a powered USB hub, and they both worked great with the now-replaced Mac mini M1 (I did use Migration Assistant).

On a hunch I plugged the two external USB drives directly into the Mac Studio's rear ports and now they both seem to be working (as in, not self-dismounting after an extended window of activity). Fingers crossed that they continue to work. Maybe after the next MacOS update I'll try running the drives via the USB hub, but for now this does work.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Had the same issue with my new Mac Studio Ultra running Monterey 12.4. My two external Western Digital drives (used for Carbon Copy Cloner backups) would self-dismount after 2-3 minutes of use. The drives had been plugged into a powered USB hub, and they both worked great with the now-replaced Mac mini M1 (I did use Migration Assistant).

On a hunch I plugged the two external USB drives directly into the Mac Studio's rear ports and now they both seem to be working (as in, not self-dismounting after an extended window of activity). Fingers crossed that they continue to work. Maybe after the next MacOS update I'll try running the drives via the USB hub, but for now this does work.

Its seems evident that its a Monterey issue. Im wondering if Ventura fixes it at all. I haven't had problems with my usb c SSD drive yet but all of my regular external hard drive still dismounts and will get corrupted. using ssd for backups but I have files on my other drives I can't really use at the moment.

rickyalan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I have macOS 12.4, the problem still remains. It occurs randomly. Sometimes it can mount again after umounting.

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
There can be various issues that cause the external drive to keep unmounting/disconnecting on mac:
  • The drive didn't connected properly
  • The data cable is damaged
  • USB cable connector got damage
  • Hardware or software issue
  • A USB port is damaged
Furthermore, there is a risk of data corruption as well while transferring data between the external drive and Mac. However, to fix the issue, you can try the below fixes:
  • Check if your mac is recognizing the drive
  • Resolve an issue using disk utility
  • Change finder settings in your mac
  • Recover or backup your drive
  • Change the drive’s format
Hope this will help!

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
There can be various issues that cause the external drive to keep unmounting/disconnecting on mac:
  • The drive didn't connected properly
  • The data cable is damaged
  • USB cable connector got damage
  • Hardware or software issue
  • A USB port is damaged
Furthermore, there is a risk of data corruption as well while transferring data between the external drive and Mac. However, to fix the issue, you can try the below fixes:
  • Check if your mac is recognizing the drive
  • Resolve an issue using disk utility
  • Change finder settings in your mac
  • Recover or backup your drive
  • Change the drive’s format
Hope this will help!
its a well known problem with Monterey.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I formatted my older MacBook Air (early 2020 intel) after I bought the m2. I downgraded the software to Catalina and used the same Anker port with the two hard drives that would disconnect and error out previously and had ZERO trouble copying or moving files. This is totally a Monterey issue. I may try and download the Ventura beta later to see if I have any issues with the drive on it. I have not tried to use the drives on the new Mac m2.

Reactions: CSLN

CSLN

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
I am currently experiencing this issue as well, I have been going through this forum for a few days now mulling over the possibility that this was happening to my Macbook Pro (15Inch-2017). My computer is currently having a battery service issue so I thought the external hardrives unmounting randomly was caused by this. It is not. Monterey is definitely the issue here. I think there is a bug with how Monterey deals with powered/unpowered USB Hubs. Once I plugged in my hardrive directly (no hub) to my computer, (after unlocking it due to the weird unmount via [sudo pkill -f fsck] through terminal) it worked like a charm. No random unmounting at all.

I'm probably going to revert back to Big Sur. External HDD support through USB Powered Hubs should be a no brainer. Not sure why this hasen't been fixed in Monterey yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.