Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I've been dealing with this maddening and probably data-dangerous issue for a long time. I've gone down the rabbit hole more often than I care to remember and each time hit a dead end. I submit that it is not:
  • A Mac model problem (I have an Intel i7 mini, and it's been reported with Apple silicon, including at M2 Ultra Studio)
  • A Mac OS version problem (I've lost track of the upgrade-will-solve-it prayers over the years. Still happening in Sonoma 14.4)
  • Solvable going to a powered hub (Happens with my SOTA CalDigit powered TB hub)
  • Solvable with an energy/sleep setting change (Tried them all)
  • Solvable by plugging the external volume directly into the computer (Just happened before my eyes)
  • Unique to any one drive manufacturer or type (Happens with my GTech and Samsung, one an HD and the other an SSD)
I believe this problem has been carried forward by Apple across models and OS versions. Chained ports in particular are so unstable that my iPhone, plugged into the back of my Mac-specific LG monitor, doesn't stay mounted long enough to transfer photos. They must know because innumerable reports have been submitted and the Internet is yelling about it.

Is there some app/utility/extension that every one of us is using that's creating this issue? Doubtful. I'm open to hope but at this point I think it's simply unsolvable, or at least too complex for a universal fix to be in the offing. Somebody please prove me wrong.

EDIT: It just happened at startup. My "solution" will be to buy a Mac with a really large internal drive and use my Synology NAS, with which my Mac can play just fine, for external volume needs. I no longer see the value in lots of ports when they can't be relied on. Sad but, at least in my case, true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farrol and gradi

kdubz

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Earlier in this thread somebody recommended the app, Amphetamine. That solved this maddening issue for me. Good luck!

<<Is there some app/utility/extension that every one of us is using that's creating this issue? Doubtful.>>

For me, the problem only occurred when using Premiere Pro.

tomslik

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
I have posted here and elsewhere, that this INSANE dismounting issue for me has been resolved by installing Amphetamine. I'm still surprised this bandaid is required after all this time!

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I have posted here and elsewhere, that this INSANE dismounting issue for me has been resolved by installing Amphetamine. I'm still surprised this bandaid is required after all this time!
Yeah, saw that. Interesting. I might give it a whirl. No biggie with a desktop machine. Do you recommend any specific settings? I assume this wouldn't be app-specific, unless we’re talking about the Finder. Thanks.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
OK, was doing fine, no events overnight. The mini is connected via Ethernet, and I wanted to use Airdrop so I turned on Wifi (which I had off). Instantly the external drive dropped and the error window came up. Any networking geniuses out there able to tie these things together?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
OK, was doing fine, no events overnight. The mini is connected via Ethernet, and I wanted to use Airdrop so I turned on Wifi (which I had off). Instantly the external drive dropped and the error window came up. Any networking geniuses out there able to tie these things together?
Interesting… Maybe the reverse:

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
I eventually decided to use Amphetamine and that has solved the problem. The only problem is that the drives stay on, but since these are NAS drives I'm okay with that. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.