Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9DMBeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
Washington, USA
MacBook Air M1 Ventura Version 13.1 (22C65) here with the same issues for months now. Tried the settings adjustment mentioned above. Nothing seems to work. Only thing I haven't tried is powered USB hub but that doesn't seem to be an absolute fix. Almost glad it's happening on Macs besides the Air, because I figured they were intentionally making the harddrives dismount because the added storage (if it actually worked reliably) would make this MacBook Air M1 a steal, and a beastly laptop. I'm streaming on Twitch while making beats in FL Studio, or recording vocals with Plugins in Pro Tools, and it is doing crazy work for 8GB RAM and 256GB flash storage. But I am beyond disapointed and frustrated with the external hard drive dismounting (Western Digital that said good for Mac on Amazon). No one likes added frustration and limitation. If you're reading this, I feel your pain! haha

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
2021 MacBook Pro on latest Ventura. External SSDs with OWC Hub disconnect on sleep. Worked fine connected directly to M1 mini. Will have to try connected directly to MBP but prefer the single Thunderbolt connection to the hub.

B

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I had been auto backing up to a Raspberry Pi over LAN without issue the last few years using Chronosync scheduling but occasionally I like do a full MacOS boot drive clone of my main disk every now and again… just in case of disaster.

I realised my latest boot drive clone was from Big Sur!!! So decided to try and clone my boot disk in Ventura.

Well you can get what happened…

Nothing stays mounted. Or if it mounts, it locks up my PC so than no native applications (Safari, Cslendar, Consile, Terminal) will even launch until I unplug the device and everything is hunky dory again.

I’ve tried two drives, two cases and both with/out a powered hub.

Apple is basically a joke among pros at this point.

Never thought I’d see the day when Windows is the one that “just works” and Apple is the piece of $#!十 in the corner that can’t even connect to an external drive without falling over.

Well. No bootable clone for me.

At least I have all my data properly backed up in triplicate.

Reactions: Farrol

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I may have experienced the local external HD dismounting issue but I'm not sure. My previous post here (#31) is still true for the 3.5" powered spinners…I'm using the Amphetamine app and there's no dismounting.

However, I had a reason to use another 3.5" HD for Time Machine and I think that has disconnected on me a couple of times. It's in a housing of a different type so I can't rule that out as a factor. Being a TM drive it couldn't be added to Amphetamine's "Drive Alive" preferences. However, I just added another APFS volume to the TM drive so that I could select that drive in "Drive Alive"…so we'll see.

Another point…I have this Mac Studio set to never sleep although the displays do go off after a set time.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
2021 MacBook Pro on latest Ventura. External SSDs with OWC Hub disconnect on sleep. Worked fine connected directly to M1 mini. Will have to try connected directly to MBP but prefer the single Thunderbolt connection to the hub.

B
Not having the issue with my m1 mini. Seems related to having the MBP in clamshell mode.

tomslik

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
I've been watching this thread for a while, having the same problems. I've seen no concrete solutions yet, so interested in any updates. I still get daily random drive-eject issues and no fix I can see (going on 4+ months now).

Running Ventura 13.2.1. now. I have a MacStudio M1Max with two OWC ThunderBay 4 mini's (each with four 8TB SSD's in RAID-0, one as storage and one as TimeMachine backup) connected directly to rear Thunderbolt 4/USB-C connections. I also have two Mediasonic ProRaid USB-C 2-Bay RAID-0 enclosures each with two 8TB SSD's (I use CarbonCopyCloner on these to sync all main files for when I travel).

Have tried everything I've seen in this thread (and read hundreds of other messages) with no luck, ALL of these four drive sets get disconnected daily. This did not occur on my iMac I was running before MacStudio. Any latest tips? Or, is there any Terminal command or other solution to reconnect them (currently, the only temporary remedy I have is to reboot, would be nice to have a better way to remount).

Reactions: crazyhorse90210

9DMBeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
Washington, USA
I thought I had a system in place to make it work. A lot of praying to the Mac Gods and various rituals to try to make things work consistantly. For a while the Samsung adapter from USB to USB C worked for the Western Digital Passport to MacBook Air M1. However, one weekend it stopped working and I couldn't do any music work. Ended up plugging in my old Seagate 2TB and that worked flawlessly, so bought a new one, and have had a 99% success rate now with the Seagate, regardless of cable type/adapter. I now have everything backed up to Backblaze, everything copied from my unreliable Western Digital to my new reliable Seagate, and we're smooth sailing now! Not sure what the issue was but I wish I would have switched months earlier. Over the past month disconnects have been very rare. Hope this helps someone!

tomslik

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Update: Installed Amphetamine, set the "Drive Alive" feature to indefinite, and seems like a possible solution (even if a band-aide). It's been nearly 24-hours and no disconnect of the drive. Oddly, since it writes data to the drive every 10-seconds, the desktop icon for the drive blinks from a blue Finder folder-icon to its regular icon. Distracting, but not a deal-breaker. Will see if this solution holds up. And if so, I will include other drive-sets (including my TimeMachine).

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
I have this same problem, but with a variant.
  • works perfectly and never dis-mounts: two 3.5" drives as RAID 1 inside OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual with 3-Port Hub
  • randomly dismounts : two 3.5" drives as RAID 1 inside OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual .
Is the difference due to the enclosure? Is it because the drives are different? (one is using WD white label drives, the other is using a different type)

EFXAD

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
The Amphetamine app suggested by @tomslik works (thanks!). My drives stay mounted all the time now at the cost of keeping everything "awake" 27/7. But, it does confirm that it's an OSX issue vs. a hardware thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 4 issue.

EFXAD

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Turns out that the new government EPA requirements for the ENERGY STAR rating require a power drop on the USB bus which also affects the thunderbolt bus. Even if your drives are self powered the voltage drop will cause most older drive to drop. The voltage drop cannot be controlled any energy saving system settings. The irony is by trying to conserve power it forces people to use more power just to use their computers. Not well thought out IMHO. My newer USB C drives are not effected but my Raids became boat anchors.

Reactions: Traace

zazaman

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Same issue with all of my external drives.

Using Mac Studio 2022 for over a year. Drive dismounting started happening only 2 or 3 months ago (possibly after installing Ventura but not sure, only know I waited a while to upgrade and it might have been around that time). Using 3 different SSD drives via USB C, one of them supports Thunderbolt 3. Sometimes it just happens without doing anything, but copying/pasting stuff or just browsing the drive usually leads to a dismount quickly (when pasting files it finishes writing files and then dismounts).

From what I see it doesnt seem like it only affects older drives. The Thunderbolt 3 drive I'm using is a new LaCie, one of the "recommended" ones purchasable from Apple.

Hoping that Sonoma fixes it but scared of other problems an early upgrade might bring.

Tried the Amphetamine app to keep the drive awake but no change.

tomslik

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Quick update six-months later, and I can say that Amphetamine "Drive Alive" has solved my issues with drives disconnecting entirely (still with the blinking desktop icon issue, no biggie). I guess I will check in to that Energy Star/USB voltage idea, but not sure anything can be done about it.

Reactions: pastrychef

kdubz

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023

Using Mac Studio 2022 for over a year. Drive dismounting started happening only 2 or 3 months ago (possibly after installing Ventura but not sure, only know I waited a while to upgrade and it might have been around that time). Using 3 different SSD drives via USB C, one of them supports Thunderbolt 3. Sometimes it just happens without doing anything, but copying/pasting stuff or just browsing the drive usually leads to a dismount quickly (when pasting files it finishes writing files and then dismounts).

From what I see it doesnt seem like it only affects older drives. The Thunderbolt 3 drive I'm using is a new LaCie, one of the "recommended" ones purchasable from Apple.

Hoping that Sonoma fixes it but scared of other problems an early upgrade might bring.

Keep us posted. If updating to Sonoma solves the problem, I'll take my chances on other bugs the new OS might introduce. I'm working on a Premiere Pro project. My external is disconnecting several times a day.

Reactions: zazaman

gradi

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2022
My 16" M2 Pro MBP 32gb/1tb (Ventura 13.6 now, but happened on 13.5.2 also) has an external 4tb SSD connected all the time. About every week or so when it wakes up from sleep I will see these 2 messages on the screen:

ssd-error-2.jpg

ssd-error.jpg

As I said, it only happens infrequently, but it has happened 4 times in the last month. I unplugged the SSD and plugged it back in to see if it would mount, but it does not.

System Settings > Battery > Options... > Put hard disks to sleep when possible is set to Never. Same result when set to Always.

I ran Disk Utility and First Aid and got this:

disk_utility.jpg

Fortunately, I also have a Windows laptop so each time I have this Mac problem I plug the SSD into the Windows laptop and run chkdsk to see if there is a problem. Each time chkdsk reports no problems. Then I plug the SSD back into the Mac and this time it is mounted and all is well. I suspect Mac is erroneously setting a flag or something that says the SSD has a problem and the Windows chkdsk after determining there is no problem unsets the flag.

The result of this Mac problem is that now I must keep a Windows PC nearby to fix the Mac problem. When I go on a trip with the Mac I must also carry my Windows laptop. Ridiculous.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
My 16" M2 Pro MBP 32gb/1tb (Ventura 13.6 now, but happened on 13.5.2 also) has an external 4tb SSD connected all the time. About every week or so when it wakes up from sleep I will see these 2 messages on the screen:

View attachment 2296285

View attachment 2296284

As I said, it only happens infrequently, but it has happened 4 times in the last month. I unplugged the SSD and plugged it back in to see if it would mount, but it does not.

System Settings > Battery > Options... > Put hard disks to sleep when possible is set to Never. Same result when set to Always.

View attachment 2296286

Fortunately, I also have a Windows laptop so each time I have this Mac problem I plug the SSD into the Windows laptop and run chkdsk to see if there is a problem. Each time chkdsk reports no problems. Then I plug the SSD back into the Mac and this time it is mounted and all is well. I suspect Mac is erroneously setting a flag or something that says the SSD has a problem and the Windows chkdsk after determining there is no problem unsets the flag.

The result of this Mac problem is that now I must keep a Windows PC nearby to fix the Mac problem. When I go on a trip with the Mac I must also carry my Windows laptop. Ridiculous.

Anyone have any ideas?
what file system does the drive use?

zazaman

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Keep us posted. If updating to Sonoma solves the problem, I'll take my chances on other bugs the new OS might introduce. I'm working on a Premiere Pro project. My external is disconnecting several times a day.
Today I upgraded to Sonoma without problems. All applications tested so far still work as expected including Premiere Pro 2024. However I can't say if the upgrade helps with the dismounting issue because for me it already stopped happening about a week ago. Only reasons I can think of are that one of the Ventura patches fixed it or the reduced total amount of plugged in USB devices prevents some sort of power issue.

Fabio9871

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2024
If it is a timeout problem Amphetamine should fix it. The app, not the drug.

But from reading this thread I am not sure that's it though. Maybe report back after a while.
This is a hell of a hint! You saved my life!! Amphetamine is the answer!
...even if I still think it is a shame from Apple side...

(Using a MBP Pro M1 Pro, Sonoma 14.2)

Reactions: antiprotest

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany

View attachment 2296285

View attachment 2296284

View attachment 2296286

Anyone have any ideas?
You are likely using ExFAT as file system for inter operability with windows. ExFAT is poorly supported by macos and the file system will be damaged/corrupted anytime such things as unexpected disconnections happens. Try to use NTFS and buy a NTFS plugin for macos from paragon or tux. It is much saver for data integrity.

zazaman

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Today I upgraded to Sonoma without problems. All applications tested so far still work as expected including Premiere Pro 2024. However I can't say if the upgrade helps with the dismounting issue because for me it already stopped happening about a week ago. Only reasons I can think of are that one of the Ventura patches fixed it or the reduced total amount of plugged in USB devices prevents some sort of power issue.

After the dismounting stopped happening for about 7 weeks it suddenly started again. Next I will try a docking station with its own power supply so the drives draw power from there instead of the Mac Studio.

Reactions: Brian33

JVeng

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
DCUSA
First post on this topic. running a mini M1 under VENTURA and MY observation is too many drives.... suspecting too-much power draw. I have 2 powered USB hubs hanging 11 drives off them. I cannot do all of them without a specific 2 of them regularly dropping offline. If I remove any 2 drives (one on each hub) then things do NOT drop off.

zazaman

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
After the dismounting stopped happening for about 7 weeks it suddenly started again. Next I will try a docking station with its own power supply so the drives draw power from there instead of the Mac Studio.

Started using a Belkin Connect Thunderbolt 4 Core hub 2 weeks ago which seems to have resolved the issue, will post again if it returns.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.