Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Apple designed the previous app with data from Google. If it was substandard, Apple designed it that way. Had Google provided the data for turn by turn, or flyover, Apple would still likely repeat their screw up with Maps.

It was substandard because Google didn't provide them with the required data to make it better. I'm guessing it's all part of the war between iOS and Android but if Google had just come up to a new agreement (maybe they tried and Steve wasn't happy with it) Apple could have stuck with their app and everyone would have been happy.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
LOL@Google

I think Google pretty much screwed the pooch when it comes to collaboration with Apple. In case Google isn't aware, Apple wants to destroy you.

I think a wake up call for Google should have been Apple dumping Google Maps and opting to use a homegrown broken product instead. I mean that takes balls and dedication to rip out an almost industry standard mapping application and instead ruining your reputation with consumers by putting in a broken mapping app. All of Apple's current fallout can lead back to this decision, and if Google thinks they are going to have some kind of partnership with Apple they are about as delusional and out of touch with reality as Apple is.

I don't see any reason why Apple would not partner more closely with Facebook, however Facebook is also looking to create their own mobile platform and this will contend with Apple wanting to rule the mobile world. I don't think you are going to get the kind of integration with Facebook as with HTC. Apple might ship iOS devices with the Facebook app pre-installed, that is about it.

I also think its in keeping with Apple to create and promote their own social platform, I think iMessage is a step towards that. Once Apple has locked up messaging on iOS they will turn towards Twitter and Facebook like services in the near future.

I don't think Apple really wants to promote other people's products and services, they are big enough, rich enough, and arrogant enough to believe they can do it all themselves.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I just got a big serving of "integration" on iOS by a non-:apple: player.

Angry Birds Star Wars was "free app of the week" recently. So I got it, and the kids started playing it.
Some time later I happen to check Twitter. Darn app had been tweeting game status without my knowledge or permission! Got to the point my brother emailed me a "uh, you might want to check on this..." note.
Spent a while trying to shut off the tweeting. Without enumerating the litany of conceivable ways...nada.
Finally emailed Rovio (ABSW's maker) about it. They cheerfully admitted it was deeply tied to iOS 6's deeply integrated Twitter support, and the only way to stop the tweeting during gameplay was to fully log out of Twitter from iOS - shutting off any legitimate tweeting in the process (like, say, actually using the Twitter app) of shutting the game up.
Goodbye, Angry Birds Star Wars.

Don't want to imagine what a deep-integration Facebook or Google abusing app might do. Too many apps & websites are already a mis-tap away from divulging all kinds of private information. :apple: is treading dangerously close to the "bundled crapware" that's helping kill Windows.

lol what? That never has happened in Angry Birds for me. I'm sure its pretty easy to turn off. In the end gotta say its your fault for quickly going through the start up menus and turning it on if its on. It just doesn't integrate without you providing a confirmation.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Chat heads... :eek: We'll sooner see Weibo chat heads than that google/facebook crap.

Who's that person to the left of Kara?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
What I hate is that you never know if you should contact someone by email, Skype, send them an SMS, a Facebook message, a Facebook chat, an iMessage or something else. I wish there was one service that everyone used, and THAT could be integrated into every phone without any issues.

PS: Is it just me, or does the red-haired woman sound like a man?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I'm sure its pretty easy to turn off.
That's my point: it isn't. Even Rovio admitted it couldn't be turned off without terminating all Twitter service on the device. There are many threads on Apple's support boards with lots of people going "how the * do I stop ABSW from Twittering?!?" with no answers.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Amen. If they want to use those services use an app. I am tired of how much Facebook is trying to connect to my business even though I am not on them. I am tired of the creepy messages where they list out people I know on Facebook and especially tired of businesses that make you like them on facebook to get or see offers. I am becoming a crank who writes emails to those companies to tell them I was interested in doing business with them NOT a third party privacy pirate.

I want less integration especially with FB. What we need is software to block tracking and collecting data by companies like FB. Google isn't much better but at least they don't try and force themselves as much as Facebook does.

It doesn't matter if you are a facebook user or not - they are the absolute picture of what is wrong with the modern media world.

If they become more integrated with IOS then I may just go to a dumb phone again. I can't stand them. Mark Z wants to rule the world.

Apple stand up for yourself and for your users. If people want to be in the facebook world let them get a facebook phone and leave the rest of the world alone.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I never understood the meltdown about Apple maps...they have ALWAYS worked great for me. I live in Texas and go to some "in the middle of nowhere" places and they have done their job for me. Have they led me other places sometimes? Yes, but Google maps have done the same thing.

Apple dropping Google was purely for licensing reasons, and the licensing reasons were that Apple wants to stop paying for the service next year. Apple released a sub-par product on their NEWEST phone and the CUSTOMER tool the brunt of the "pain".

That said, the situation occurred because Google WAS GIVEN top billing in the original iphone. Apple included as many reasonable Google features as they could. Then Google started HOLDING BACK features from Apple to make Android phones look better. Sure Google threw out a bone that Apple could have paid more money or offered more data... But Google "held Apple up" after STEVE PERSONALLY have them top billing. Sorry kids, Apple is one jeleous girl.

Facebook is OK, but they have like 20% Microsoft ownership. More importantly, they demand all their apps suck giant amounts of user data.... And Apple's customers don't like that. Also Facebook continually uses the data for FACEBOOK to get ahead, and isn't offering anything BACK. Facebook Home would suck all your contacts, mails, messages, angry birds, photos and sharing into FACEBOOK'S servers leaving little on the iPhone for Apple to show off iPhone features. Then people cancel their iPhones and buy cheap androids that run just the Facebook Home app.. Why WOULD Apple deal against its interest like that?

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
To be honest

I'm not sure if I want more or deeper integration of google and facebook in my iOS device. I kind of like chat heads, but I kind of like it right where its at...in the facebook app. Not sure if I'd want those little circles floating all over my screen regardless of what I'm doing.

No way Apple allows that though. It'd be in direct competition with iMessage (which I love and use immensely).

----------

HATING the new facebook app update with the floating bobble-heads. Thank God it's not built into my OS.

It's easy enough to get rid of them. Just close that message thread and they go away.

But I do agree, I dont want them permanently on my screen. Keep them only in the facebook app.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The chat heads seem intriguing and I do think FB is onto something here, but I'm not sure Apple would allow that intrusive an app. I rarely use FB messenger, but I can imagine if it were implemented in that manner I would consider using it a lot more. For me, one of the most frustrating features on any phone (iOS or Android) is having to exit out/app switch what I'm currently doing to continue IM conversations. It's not major, but it's definitely a nuisance.

But (and not to turn this into a Google vs. Apple thing) I do wish I could set my maps provider to Google by default. Just a preference.

I don't understand this need to have Facebook intergrated at all. This new fb integration looks alot like a 'beefed up' notification section in the OS.

This would be useful if it could be used by all apps, then the user could choose there own mobile phone experience depending on the apps they download.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Apple designed the previous app with data from Google. If it was substandard, Apple designed it that way. Had Google provided the data for turn by turn, or flyover, Apple would still likely repeat their screw up with Maps.

No, no, no... Google held up Apple for more money/customer data to get access to that data. Remember Apple PAID for Google Maps data... They did not get it for FREE. Google wouldn't let Apple have the same features in Apple's maps that Android maps got for the same money changing hands.

Worse Apple paid TWICE because iOS users were the largest share of Mobile Google Maps users.... And all that 5 YEARS of usage went to Google... When Apple could have been using that for building their system.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Dear Apple,

We are very well-known companies who make money by selling ads. We would like to make a lot more money on your iOS platform without actually offering you anything in return. Of course, there is a risk that your users will hate you for allowing us to do this. But that risk is yours to take of course.

Will you bite?

Regards,
Marc and Eric

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Sounds like barking up the wrong tree to me. Isn't Apple currently in the process of removing everything Google branded from iOS?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Dear Apple,

We are very well-known companies who make money by selling ads. We would like to make a lot more money on your iOS platform without actually offering you anything in return. Of course, there is a risk that your users will hate you for allowing us to do this. But that risk is yours to take of course.

Will you bite?

Regards,
Marc and Eric

Of course we'll continue to turn Asian knockoff conglomerates like Samsung into unstoppable machines with our free OS development while badmouthing you behind your backs ("'Open' always wins!!!", "Not the Future We Want!"), but hey, that's just business. Nothing personal. Right buddy?

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
The two chief data miners want to mine iOS users. Surprise, surprise.

Apple's maps are actually very good (at least here in the US), but even if it was a bad experience, I'd be willing to deal with it and send Apple a few corrections if it would help break one of Google's monopolies. We need to start divesting from these companies that treat privacy rights as a thing of the past.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
I'm really starting to hate the executives at facebook and google.

It seems that shoving ads down our throats is what every device should have.

Why can't I just buy a tech device that lets me use it without all the social media crap??

why does the device I spend hundreds of dollars on have to be a tool for these exec clowns to use to advertise more crap??

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Lost my shape, trying to act casual

I feel sorry for all those companies that sold control of their brand identity and customer experience out to Facebook. Whenever I see ads telling people to visit some Facebook page, I think "isn't this company strong enough to have their own website to attract customers and business?".

Google's business is ad driven through their search engine - but they try to control their customers by controlling what search results are presented and featured, and consumers are starting to wise up that what search results Google gives you are not always the best ones.

Apple is doing just fine without selling out their identity and customers to Facebook or Google. I don't live by Facebook 24x7, and I don't want get all the ads from Google. And I don't want them tracking everything I do.

Choice is good.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I feel sorry for all those companies that sold control of their brand identity and customer experience out to Facebook. Whenever I see ads telling people to visit some Facebook page, I think "isn't this company strong enough to have their own website to attract customers and business?".

Google's business is ad driven through their search engine - but they try to control their customers by controlling what search results are presented and featured, and consumers are starting to wise up that what search results Google gives you are not always the best ones.

Apple is doing just fine without selling out their identity and customers to Facebook or Google. I don't live by Facebook 24x7, and I don't want get all the ads from Google. And I don't want them tracking everything I do.

Choice is good.

Apple doesn't monetize off ads. What you think is choice is just supporting a company in a different market.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are all garbage. MySpace is dead and I wish the same for the other 2.

Disagree on twitter. Twitter is a narrow focus application that is very useful. We need more specific tools that we pick and choose from and fewer aol like companies who want to re present and repackage the Internet.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Really kind of astounding how entitled these people are.

I'd love Apple to feature my App more. Hell, a "What's hot" or "App of the week" would be fine and dandy.... much less than Facebook or Google want, which is really for Apple to embed their technology at the OS level.

The reason Apple made their own maps is that they discovered, painfully, that trusting google was a major mistake, when google turned around and ripped off iOS to make android.

?

android was funded and formed by google in oct 2003 and after the founders kept running out of money was completely bought buy google in 2005.Google from the get go wanted to go mobile and was working on android before apple even thought about making a phone

this video was made in 2007 and you can see 2007 on the maps app and its funny how that android prototype looks pretty much like todays patented iphone 5.There were android alfa phones in 2005 and 2006 that were out before the first one was called r2d2 and was the first android os/prototype to come out,even back then you can see the guy get a text mess and it scrolls the notifications at the top like todays androids.All apple has ever done was take other peoples ideas and market the hell out of them to make them like they were there own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoyoUpawfgU

I clearly remember all the buz on the net back in 2006 about the g phone coming out and google giving it to everyone for free,at that point we didn't know what they ment by it but after it launched we were blessed with a free open platform cell phone operative system

here is a g phone video from 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bdGc-QZicw

so enough with google copying apple,they were both working on a phone and android was started in 2003

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.