Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i still dont understand the whole drama against flash ... never had any problems with it on my mac nor on my windows machine

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Apple obviously developed the iPhone OS, and they are entitled to do whatever the f. they want with it. No one is entitled to say what Apple should do with it because they didn't invest anything in the OS to begin with, only consumed it. If we consume it, it's because we agree with what it is. I speak as a developer, and this does not shock me. Every company is never at other companies' mercy, and Adobe is placing itself like it was, that's pathetic. Instead of these Flash devs complaining about stuff like this, they should send their complaints to Adobe for having such careless and slap-on-the-face support for Flash on a Mac. How does Adobe expect apple's support when i.e. I have a MacPro with 4-dual-cores, and a simple flash app is using 90% of each processor at one point, that's unacceptable.

padrino121

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
Flash ins't the only looser

There are other framworks out there from companies like Appcelerator that are effectively restricted as well given the language used. They wrap Apple API's into a higher level abstraction to provide rapid development and better cross platform support. You have a native app using native Apple APIs however it was written with an abstraction so per the SDK changes it would seem even frameworks like these, which support a wide range of popular iPhone apps will now be prohibited.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
I read pro flash, pro HTML5... users are between the rock and the hard place... May this forum and the related post bring us the real reasons behind the fight... Is Apple Right? Is Html5 the new standard? Is Flash a resource hog? Guys thanks for helping

Don't bother, here is what you will get:

Pro HTML 5:
- Most video site (youtube, vimeo, ustream...) use HTML 5 now
- It's more stable and browser friendly
- You can virtually do anything Flash can do
- It's the future

As a non pro-flash neither a pro-html 5, i would argue:

- HTML 5 only works with Chrome and Safarie ie. 8% of the internet user
- 75% of games, 90% of videos, most of ads and tons of websites are in Flash
- "Virtually" means you can't even do do half what Flash can do for now
- W3C has not even made it a standard, and today hundres of thousands of developpers CHOOSE to use Flash, who's Apple to tell them they can't ?
That pure good sense but hey...iSheep or iDon'tbuyBS.

But what I see is frustration here, and THAT I can understand: most Adobe software's are bloated as f**k, but again it's pure hypocrisy: Itunes is bloated as well on Windows, Aperture s*cks, and more and more of my friends have complaints about their Mac getting slower and slower...

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Brimelow said:
Go screw yourself Apple.

That is sig worthy right there.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiments. I'm not 100% Adobe, because I don't like what Shantanu Narayen (Adobe's CEO) is doing to the company by shipping whole departments to India while there is plenty of talent in San Jose.

I just can't wait till this blows over.

On an unrelated note, Narayen used to work for Apple. I wonder if he said something to make Jobs angry however many years ago....

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Typical lies:

No, there is indeed a rational defense for this stance: Flash is a proprietary standard controlled by a single company that Apple has no say over. HTML 5, in contrast, is an open standard that anyone can use.

Here's another rational defense: Unless you are very careful in your development, Flash is a resource hog that would downgrade many user's experiences. Moving to HMTL 5 is a better choice.

You may disagree with both thoughts, but they are not irrational even if you disagree. So he lied.

Thank you! Have you ever ben to that flash ladened site, NIKE. Oh my god! Not only does my mac have a hard time on that site my windows pc that I used at my job. It sucks. Adobe can suck off!

jameswgarner

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
Texas
Hurting Developers??

The iPhone has made lots of developers lots and lots of money.

Apple makes a cut of it as well so they have no vested interest in hurting developers.

If they wanted to screw the developers, they could just not approve any suspect apps.

Apple set the ground rules up front. No one is forcing the developers to code for apple hardware.

If you don't like the music, you don't have to dance.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
From Apple Insider

Great remarks here....

" Multitasking on other platforms :

Other platforms have enabled multitasking by simply allowing any number of apps to run. This results in a mess for users because it's up to them to manage which apps are running out of control or needlessly chewing up resources in the background. Android and Windows Mobile are both notorious for needing TasKiller or some other sort of manual process manager to keep battery life and performance in check.

Microsoft's solution to the mess on Windows Mobile was to start over with Windows Phone 7 this winter, which removes multitasking and attempts to save state for each app it puts on hold. But Microsoft hasn't outlined how it plans to deliver the multitasking features users will expect on its new platform in the way Apple demonstrated for iPhone 4.0 this summer.

Additionally, that fact that Apple introduced its Push Notifications service first means that most iPhone apps are already designed to respond to outside events efficiently. On the BlackBerry OS, for example, apps that run in the background often inefficiently poll their servers, a big tax on battery life. This is somewhat ironic because Blackberry is renowned for running its own push services, it just didn't open these to developers until third party software had largely already rolled their own solutions."

This is a good response to all the I-want-mutitasking-on-my-phone and all the Apple bashers... Anyone to comment on this one?

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
It's unfortunate that things are starting to get personal and nasty. I don't entirely agree with Apple, but IF Flash is a resource hog...I suppose they have to lock it out of the platform.

Does Apple's new developer agreement prevent Adobe from setting up Flash servers the way YouTube has? Maybe that could be a workaround.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Can't we just get back into the good old days when Adobe only made software for Macs? And when Google and Apple got along? All this hatred sucks, I don't know who's responsible and who's right or wrong, but this isn't healthy. And it's very childish. And when things get this far, something stupid usually happens, and that's usually bad for us consumers. Companies should work together and not hate each other. This applies to both Apple and Adobe. And Google. I guess Microsoft is quickly becoming the least idiotic company at the moment. And this really is sad!

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Smoebody wasnt doing their job by maintaining a close relationship with Apple. Relationships ar eeverything in business.

Ichneumon

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Honestly, I feel Apple has all the right to limit how people use their products and which apps to allow and which not.

Personally I like the idea of Open Source software, looking at Firefox and Linux Ubuntu, but it is really overrated. Look at the appstore and the number of really high quality free or almost-free apps. Where on earth can you find software for less that $5? You can say all you want about Apple trying to control their content, but the app store has proved that it works and that it is a sustainable environment and certainly rewarding for app developers. Part of this success lies in having 1 app store, one place where you download all the apps and at least a minimal quality control.

I only rarely see sites that use flash these days for other things that lame primitive games or advertisements. I don't know much flash, so I wouldn't be able to say if Apple is right about it draining resources and such, however if it were true, it is good of them to not allow it.

I also find it odd that people critize Apple for monopolizing stuff and not allowing flash, while flash itself is controlled by 1 company, adobe.

solidMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I feel that Apple is becoming into a monopoly like microsoft once was. They are milking the iPhone for everything and even making spinoffs (ipad)....Apple wasn't very popular until the ipod and the iphone came out...and suddenly now they are rejecting adobe?

Apple is holding their customers hostage to restrictions and high prices (damn MBPs still expensive!!)

...and where is my i3 13" MBP??....i too am a damn hostage of APPLE!!!!!!!

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Adobe never threatened to sue them or lock them out.

Yet.

The problem with going with a propriety solution that your users depend on is that vendor can one day pull a Microsoft on you. It makes no difference what current management does or says; a new CEO can come along and make your life difficult.

No Web development should be done with proprietary tools that only come from one company. Open standards are the only way to go in order to avoid future trouble.

HTML 5, yes.

Flash, no.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
Look, I am not a Flash fan either, but...

Adobe hasn't closed down Flash so much to only support development on Adobe's platform...

You can create Flash files in a number of programs - Corel, Swish, Swift, etc.
There used to be several open source development projects to to replace Flash Generator, Flash Server, etc.

Adobe never threatened to sue them or lock them out.

Apple closing off developers and saying you can only use what Apple says, sucks!

Not true, you can develop for Macs, iPhone OS is a mobile OS.  is here to make money, if they could offer a better experience with Flash they will (Who knows what they are doing about Flash compatibility?).

Why they left copy&past and 3rd party multitask out and ignore complaints and losing possible customers (which was bravery actually, being them a non non-profit company) ?
Why should Flash be different?

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Who is this guy? he thinks he is something?
Rather than "go screw apple", maybe he should go screw stupid himself.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Apple will win. Look how many iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owners obviously don't care about Flash. Look at how the market has moved based on what consumers buy. With Apple's current line of products and the volume of customers, we (consumers) will dictate what the developers will need to learn in order to write their paychecks.

I hate to see technology (real technology) come to a dead crawl because of people's stubbornness to change.

If you knew little about Marketing101 you would know that Apple products are on their Apogee. And do you know what follows apogee...?

Plus Apple made what's call an hypocrit and dick move. What if Adobe does a really dickish one twoand don't release CS updates on Mac anymore...?

People are stubborn to change to what ? Get you fact straight:
- HTML 5, while promising, has not even been made a ready standard by W3C
- Because it only works on Chrome and Safari, and maybe you don't know it, but it means only 8% of internet user
- 75% of games, 80% of videos, most ads and thousands of website are still in Flash
- With HTML 5 you can do half what you can do with Flash for now.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Brimelow notes that he has decided to boycott Apple products "until there is a leadership change over there" and states in no uncertain terms how he feels about the situation.

Like that's going to happen anytime soon :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.