Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
There's a problem if you have to disable features to get a smooth experience on a brand new phone...

It isnt a feature it is just a look, even without it on my 6 Plus is still very smooth and is class leading in in-app performance

Reduce transparency makes it perfect and I like the darker theme of the OS

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
It's no secret Apple shafted us this year, and will make a killing next year with an "s" version of both of these phones. Unfortunately I think ill be one of the people updating from a 6+ to a 6s+ because of the ram.
This phone could be so much more smooth in between app switching and animations.

Same. The 6S will be my last iPhone for a 3-4yrs. Was gonna stay on the 5S but the bigger screens were too tempting.

Now outside of doubling the RAM there will no other incentive for me to upgrade anytime soon.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
It isnt a feature it is just a look, even without it on my 6 Plus is still very smooth and is class leading in in-app performance

Reduce transparency makes it perfect and I like the darker theme of the OS

Even still, you'd have to admit it is a bit ridiculous that you have to make ANY UI modifications to make your brand new iPhone run smoothly...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Even still, you'd have to admit it is a bit ridiculous that you have to make ANY UI modifications to make your brand new iPhone run smoothly...

Runs 100% smooth and buttery on my 6 Plus, like literally is perfect, not even Android devices on Lollipop are still not as overall fluid

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Runs 100% smooth and buttery on my 6 Plus, like literally is perfect, not even Android devices on Lollipop are still not as overall fluid

I'm mostly seeing this, but I don't use enough screens to cause Safari problems. I also don't notice tab refresh issues, either.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

And that's great for you, but the fact still remains that some experience issues. I even think it's been mentioned in some reviews that there's some UI lag with the 6 Plus.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I was having low Ram on my 6 Plus. Even with no apps running, I was consistently with only 8 to 9% available RAM according to my Vidgets app. I deleted 2 apps, twitter and bookings.com, and immediately after deleting, I am now running with 30% available RAM. Those two apps bleed memory, even when not in use.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
And that's great for you, but the fact still remains that some experience issues. I even think it's been mentioned in some reviews that there's some UI lag with the 6 Plus.

I had this discussion with that particular poster and got the same responses. I figured it was not worth continuing the argument. I have come to expect a certain calibur of product from Apple. This device didn't meet the standards that they have allowed me to expect over the years. Is it good enough to throw it against the wall? Of course not. But I don't mind talking about it. And I don't care how many people think I should get over it. If it doesn't get fixed in a sfotware update (I have my doubts) I have money that it won't be present in the 6 Plus.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010

The iPhone 6/6 Plus series of devices definitely have the computational power to run things smoothly. Its when it has to store things into memory where the problems come into play.

Performance is not an issue.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
wow, reading stuff like this all the time makes me want to keep my iPhone 4 forever... (I will probably more buy Apple stock than iPhones in the coming yesrs...)

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Had the 6 plus then the 6. They were garbage in my opinion. Ive owned every iPhone since 2007. Back to my 5S on iOS 8.1.1 JB. Cant wait for the 6S + or 6S.

1GB of ram on a 2014 5.5 inch phone is a utter joke. Apple can easily afford it, make the phone .005 CM thicker and put a bigger battery in it.

OR do what Apple loves to do, keep making the iPhone so thin it will be like a piece of paper in 2020. Dumb.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
How did one arrive at the conclusion that's it the RAM and not anything else, software or app etc. All I see is symptoms reported, and not the cause.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How did one arrive at the conclusion that's it the RAM and not anything else, software or app etc. All I see is symptoms reported, and not the cause.

This reloading issue has been happening for two or three years now and is only getting worse with each new version of iOS. One would assume that if it's software then Apple aren't going to fix it!
As for the RAM, do you know of any notebook, laptop, tablet or mobile phone that has 1GB of RAM in late 2014 other than an Apple product? Is 1GB of RAM acceptable in the premium, most expensive product of its type in the marketplace? Regardless of whether RAM is causing the reloads, which is highly likely, is 1GB of RAM acceptable anyway? The device feels hindered and somewhat crippled on release day, so how do you feel about spending so much money on a device with such little built in longevity? The iPhone 6 and 6+ have the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S for goodness sake.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
This reloading issue has been happening for two or three years now and is only getting worse with each new version of iOS. One would assume that if it's software then Apple aren't going to fix it!
As for the RAM, do you know of any notebook, laptop, tablet or mobile phone that has 1GB of RAM in late 2014 other than an Apple product? Is 1GB of RAM acceptable in the premium, most expensive product of its type in the marketplace? Regardless of whether RAM is causing the reloads, which is highly likely, is 1GB of RAM acceptable anyway? The device feels hindered and somewhat crippled on release day, so how do you feel about spending so much money on a device with such little built in longevity? The iPhone 6 and 6+ have the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S for goodness sake.

6 and 6 Plus are the fastest smartphones out right now and I dont feel anything but great about my 6 Plus, it is going to last at least 2-3 years easily and when Feb 2015 rolls around, all apps are required to have 64 bit code which will give the 6/6 Plus a 35-40% speed boost in applications

my 6 Plus performs better then Note 4/ other android devices so that must mean others are enjoying a inferior experience

The 1Gb of ram on the 6/6 Plus acts just like 2GB of ram on Android, in actually alot of instances the Android devices have to completly reload the application when the 6/6 Plus had it paused for 0.5 s seconds and then it resumed while the Android devices (S5 and M8) in Phonebuffs video had to completly reload applications over the 6/6 Plus meanwhile the 6/6 Plus didnt have to reload the applications, so much for double the RAM and cores

No one should feel even the slightest bit upset because the 6 and 6 Plus are currently the fastest smartphones on the market and these phones have great longeivity due to 64 bit support, One thing i only agree with you is that they could of added more RAM, but that with 1GB of RAM still, it still is class leading in performance

/theead

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
6 and 6 Plus are the fastest smartphones out right now and I dont feel anything but great about my 6 Plus, it is going to last at least 2-3 years easily and when Feb 2015 rolls around, all apps are required to have 64 bit code which will give the 6/6 Plus a 35-40% speed boost in applications

my 6 Plus performs better then Note 4/ other android devices so that must mean others are enjoying a inferior experience

The 1Gb of ram on the 6/6 Plus acts just like 2GB of ram on Android, in actually alot of instances the Android devices have to completly reload the application when the 6/6 Plus had it paused for 0.5 s seconds and then it resumed while the Android devices (S5 and M8) in Phonebuffs video had to completly reload applications over the 6/6 Plus meanwhile the 6/6 Plus didnt have to reload the applications, so much for double the RAM and cores

No one should feel even the slightest bit upset because the 6 and 6 Plus are currently the fastest smartphones on the market and these phones have great longeivity due to 64 bit support, One thing i only agree with you is that they could of added more RAM, but that with 1GB of RAM still, it still is class leading in performance

/theead

My 6+ reloads web pages and apps more than my iPhone 5, and that's a phone that was released over two years ago. If that isn't damning then I don't know what is. Both have 1GB of RAM, and the i5 bugged me with its tab reloads. Quite why Apple haven't added more RAM is mystifying. You can have all the processor speed and 64 Bit goodness you like, but too little RAM will cause major issues.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
My 6+ reloads web pages and apps more than my iPhone 5, and that's a phone that was released over two years ago. If that isn't damning then I don't know what is. Both have 1GB of RAM, and the i5 bugged me with its tab reloads. Quite why Apple haven't added more RAM is mystifying. You can have all the processor speed and 64 Bit goodness you like, but too little RAM will cause major issues.

Havent had any apps "reload on me" while using them and in app performance is extremely superb and great, playing Vainglory/asphalt 8 on the 6 Plus looks absolutely stunning and runs flawless too

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Havent had any apps "reload on me" while using them and in app performance is extremely superb and great, playing Vainglory/asphalt 8 on the 6 Plus looks absolutely stunning and runs flawless too

I can't think that you do much researching or have many browsers open. You see, I never ever play games and don't care about that side of it at all. I browse the web, massively, and experience problems all the time.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I can't think that you do much researching or have many browsers open. You see, I never ever play games and don't care about that side of it at all. I browse the web, massively, and experience problems all the time.

Besides the occasional tab reload that occurs sometimes (which I dont really mind since it reloads extremely fast), Safari is a absolute joy to use and is still the best mobile browser out there in terms of speed and fluidity

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Besides the occasional tab reload that occurs sometimes (which I dont really mind since it reloads extremely fast), Safari is a absolute joy to use and is still the best mobile browser out there in terms of speed and fluidity

I mind it reloading when I've been typing text into the tab!

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
The fact is, Apple can and will fragment everything on the iPhone devices because we allow them to. Also, the vast majority of iPhone users won't care/notice these pet peeves we see and complain about. You see that very same example in here, people refusing to believe the 6+ lags. It really does. It's not a myth.

If people actually fell through with their claims of "jumping ship" and leaving iOS and Apple altogether, maybe Apple would make a change. Until then, yes they can craft a beautifully sculpted device and cram tons of outdated materials in it and call it revolutionary.
I bought the 6+ and I will be keeping it until I am due for another upgrade but I can honestly say that I was expecting a little more bang here for the extra $100 over the 6. That should have at least warranted a better RAM solution, like 2GB. It just makes sense. A bigger phone designed to do more should be equipped with more. But I guess that's all apart of the business. :apple:

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
It's plenty smooth and responsive, but like others have said, the inability to keep apps in memory is really aggravating.

Case in point, I have a game open. It's not an intensive game, just a little puzzle game. I'm simultaneously using my phone to control YouTube via Chromecast and chat with a friend on Skype. Nothing major. I bounce out of the game to switch videos and send my friend a message. Go back to the game and I'm sent back to the front menu instead of sticking to where I was.

It's not a lag or speed issue, it's that 1GB means apps are constantly kicked out of memory.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It's plenty smooth and responsive, but like others have said, the inability to keep apps in memory is really aggravating.

Case in point, I have a game open. It's not an intensive game, just a little puzzle game. I'm simultaneously using my phone to control YouTube via Chromecast and chat with a friend on Skype. Nothing major. I bounce out of the game to switch videos and send my friend a message. Go back to the game and I'm sent back to the front menu instead of sticking to where I was.

It's not a lag or speed issue, it's that 1GB means apps are constantly kicked out of memory.

Its the game that hasnt been updated then if it is doing that, modern games on iOS 8 API's and on iOS 8 have priority que so that it doesnt happen, I can play Vainglory with mulitple apps open; and go back to Vainglory which is one of iOS's biggest most graphically detailed games you can play on a iOS device and it always brings me right back to gameplay

----------

The fact is, Apple can and will fragment everything on the iPhone devices because we allow them to. Also, the vast majority of iPhone users won't care/notice these pet peeves we see and complain about. You see that very same example in here, people refusing to believe the 6+ lags. It really does. It's not a myth.

If people actually fell through with their claims of "jumping ship" and leaving iOS and Apple altogether, maybe Apple would make a change. Until then, yes they can craft a beautifully sculpted device and cram tons of outdated materials in it and call it revolutionary.
I bought the 6+ and I will be keeping it until I am due for another upgrade but I can honestly say that I was expecting a little more bang here for the extra $100 over the 6. That should have at least warranted a better RAM solution, like 2GB. It just makes sense. A bigger phone designed to do more should be equipped with more. But I guess that's all apart of the business. :apple:

My 6 Plus is buttery 100% smooth with Reduce Transparency on and never lags ever , you should try it

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Its the game that hasnt been updated then if it is doing that, modern games on iOS 8 API's and on iOS 8 have priority que so that it doesnt happen, I can play Vainglory with mulitple apps open; and go back to Vainglory which is one of iOS's biggest most graphically detailed games you can play on a iOS device and it always brings me right back to gameplay

----------

My 6 Plus is buttery 100% smooth with Reduce Transparency on and never lags ever , you should try it

Not all apps can have priority... the problem is that some have to be kicked out due to smaller size.

My experience has also been good lag wise... hardly anything noticeable. However, reloading apps can be frustrating. I've seen it happen with little as 3 apps running. (Common combo being FB, gmail, and safari)

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010

/theead

Are you just regurgitating keynote talking points?

The ability to load things quickly does not compensate for the inability to store processes in memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.