Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Are you just regurgitating keynote talking points?

The ability to load things quickly does not compensate for the inability to store processes in memory.

No im talking about exactly what I said

How is a app reloading entirely and having to reboot up from start better then a app that is "paused" and then comes back to life and resumes and is instantly responsive and ready to go 0.5 s later??

Man the logic some people dont have these days....:rolleyes:

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

How is a app reloading entirely and having to reboot up from start better then a app that is "paused" and then comes back to life and resumes and is instantly responsive and ready to go 0.5 s later??

Because "some delay is better than no delay" logic makes sense... right?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

Are you an apple employee? Sounds like it. My 6 plus lagged on the MLB app which I always always use more then anything else. When reading stories the scrolling was lagging. When watching a video then leaving the app but coming back to it, the video would reload to beginning. That wouldn't happen with more ram.

The 6 plus lags. Glad I returned it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Are you an apple employee? Sounds like it. My 6 plus lagged on the MLB app which I always always use more then anything else. When reading stories the scrolling was lagging. When watching a video then leaving the app but coming back to it, the video would reload to beginning. That wouldn't happen with more ram.

The 6 plus lags. Glad I returned it.

Lmao not even close to a Apple employee, was the app updated to iOS 8/ 6 Plus screen resolution when you were using it? All the apps I use are updated and run flawlessly , iOS devices didnt build a reputation of having smoother just work devices out of no where right?

Any updated apps , which are happening by the day and alot of main apps are updated to new iPhones and they run and look fantastic, sounds like you never had a 6 Plus to begin with and that is just being purely objective on all this

----------

Because "some delay is better than no delay" logic makes sense... right?

Missed my post? Why cant you tell me how a app reloading and restarting completly is somehow better then a 0.5 s pause then instant responsiveness ? Isnt that the core essence of "multitasking"? That a app doesn't reload? Lol....

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
My 6 plus has absolutely no UI lag at all with Reduce transparency; which seems to that any ui lag you experinence is software because my 6 Plus has absolutely no UI stutter or lag at all with Reduce transparency on

Mine is the opposite. If I have reduce transparency turned on , I get much worse lag. Now I turned it off its so much better. Smoother.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Mine is the opposite. If I have reduce transparency turned on , I get much worse lag. Now I turned it off its so much better. Smoother.

thats weird, some people report issues when trasparent windows in the UI are showing, but no transparency=equals literally a 100% buttery smooth iPhone 6 Plus in every single thing I do, which to me just seems like it may be a software issue to some who do experience that lag when transparent UI elements are on the screen

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Apple has been pulling a bunch of punk moves lately. It cost almost nothing to go from 1 gb to 2 or even 3gb ram, but they won’t. Same with the storage, they could’ve easily made it start at 32gb instead of 16, but they wanted you to pay the extra 100 bucks for the 64. They could’ve also made the camera a 13mp shooter too. Same with delaying shipments to carriers and sending out shipments to their own stores first. I still haven’t gotten my 6+ 128gb SG I ordered on 9/19 from ATT.

Storage these days cost nothing, so the real issue is Apple wants to have an excuse for next year’s 6S model. I guess they ran out of ideas and have to resort to nickel and diming people on storage/ram. Ever since Tim Cook came on board the company started being sleazy.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Apple has been pulling a bunch of punk moves lately. It cost almost nothing to go from 1 gb to 2 or even 3gb ram, but they won’t. Same with the storage, they could’ve easily made it start at 32gb instead of 16, but they wanted you to pay the extra 100 bucks for the 64. They could’ve also made the camera a 13mp shooter too. Same with delaying shipments to carriers and sending out shipments to their own stores first. I still haven’t gotten my 6+ 128gb SG I ordered on 9/19 from ATT.

Storage these days cost nothing, so the real issue is Apple wants to have an excuse for next year’s 6S model. I guess they ran out of ideas and have to resort to nickel and diming people on storage/ram. Ever since Tim Cook came on board the company started being sleazy.

Whats wrong with the current 8 megapixel shooter which is currently the best smartphone camera in a smartphone right now? More megapixels does not mean a sharper clearer image always , the i6/6 Plus camera is able to take consistently more sharper images then flagships with 13 megapixel cameras despite it being 8 megapixel still

And your complaining about the crazy demand still for the 6 Plus and 6 and how they still cant meet demands meet yet and blaming Apple for this? :rollseye:

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
well, I so got used to Safari reloading tabs, that I doesn't even care

moreover, it makes me open a tab and read it through - start till finish - then go to next page

pure zen and concentration :)

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Whats wrong with the current 8 megapixel shooter which is currently the best smartphone camera in a smartphone right now? More megapixels does not mean a sharper clearer image always , the i6/6 Plus camera is able to take consistently more sharper images then flagships with 13 megapixel cameras despite it being 8 megapixel still

And your complaining about the crazy demand still for the 6 Plus and 6 and how they still cant meet demands meet yet and blaming Apple for this? :rollseye:

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple...et-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

I feel that while the iPhone 6/6 Plus, overall, are the two best phones on the market for my needs, I agree with NIKKG. 2GBs RAM and 32GB base storage are overdue, especially for a phablet device that is going to be worked like a primary computer by many folks.

Maybe that's the problem. Macs are so good, I buy a MBP once every 5 years. Swap out the hard drive, add more RAM after 2-3 years and it's good to go for another round of use. They are great machines and no PC I've owned has the durability and lifespan of a Mac. Add 2 or more GBs to the iPhone 6 Plus and instead of swapping out every two years, I may go for three or more.

As for AT&T, I will be going to the Apple Store near my house, buying the model I want, and sign up with T-Mobile since I received the dreaded "Oh, hey, we're having problems filling your order so you're going to wait an for a week. Kthxbai." I'm guessing that's more an issue with AT&T's lack of supply chain management than Apple.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
what lollipop device do you use?

Nexus 6 suffers from slow read write speeds due to mandatory FDE, It has piss poor read/write which easily affects multitasking and loading applications since they are not using Qualcomms hardware acceleration for cryptography(it isnt open source, Qualcomm doesnt want to open source it)

My 2013 Nexus 7 on Android 5.0.1 is barely any smoother then what it was on KitKat, which still has some UI lag and isnt 100% 60 FPS all the time

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I notice. It bothers me a little.

Genuinely curious why Apple just didn't up the RAM, but then a lot of the decisions made regarding the 6/6+ baffle me.

Apple's always been cheap when choosing the amount of RAM for computers and phones etc. They purposely give us barely enough so as to fatten the profits they make.

hernan1304

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Posted this on another thread. Here's an example of a page that crashes my Safari (6+ on the latest iOS version) without fail - I get a error message saying the page had to be reloaded - as well as Chrome:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tracyclayton/do-it-for-the-vine?s=mobile

EDIT: just to answer some people below. You need to actually try to watch each video in sequence in order to crash Safari, not just scroll through...

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I feel that while the iPhone 6/6 Plus, overall, are the two best phones on the market for my needs, I agree with NIKKG. 2GBs RAM and 32GB base storage are overdue, especially for a phablet device that is going to be worked like a primary computer by many folks.

Maybe that's the problem. Macs are so good, I buy a MBP once every 5 years. Swap out the hard drive, add more RAM after 2-3 years and it's good to go for another round of use. They are great machines and no PC I've owned has the durability and lifespan of a Mac. Add 2 or more GBs to the iPhone 6 Plus and instead of swapping out every two years, I may go for three or more.

As for AT&T, I will be going to the Apple Store near my house, buying the model I want, and sign up with T-Mobile since I received the dreaded "Oh, hey, we're having problems filling your order so you're going to wait an for a week. Kthxbai." I'm guessing that's more an issue with AT&T's lack of supply chain management than Apple.

You won't be doing any of that with the newer Macs, the RAM is soldered to the main board.

Eduardo Forneck

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
They (and most smartphone manufacturers) have run out of ideas. They knew that a bigger screen would be sufficient in itself to flog millions of iPhones and they've obviously worked out that more RAM next year will guarantee likewise.
Quite why the industry reviewers haven't ripped them a new bunghole over this RAM issue is another matter.

Yes, next year, the "6s" and "6s plus" will have 2 gb and iOS 9 will be updated to take advantage of more RAM, and so the apps too, so, any user of devices with 1 gb of ram will feel the pain that iphone 4/4s (512 mb) are feeling today. freezes, crashes every time, app refreshing, all this next year! because apple didn't wanted to spend some pennies more adding 2 gb... they know you will buy the next iphone next year anyway... ;) :p

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Posted this on another thread. Here's an example of a page that crashes my Safari (6+ on the latest iOS version) without fail - I get a error message saying the page had to be reloaded - as well as Chrome:

My sisters iphone 6 did get the reload error message but she had to go all the way down the page and was scrolling pretty fast. It was lagging and freezing something feirce pretty much the whole way through.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Nexus 6 suffers from slow read write speeds due to mandatory FDE, It has piss poor read/write which easily affects multitasking and loading applications since they are not using Qualcomms hardware acceleration for cryptography(it isnt open source, Qualcomm doesnt want to open source it)

My 2013 Nexus 7 on Android 5.0.1 is barely any smoother then what it was on KitKat, which still has some UI lag and isnt 100% 60 FPS all the time

How are you evaluating the fps?

How did you do so on iOS?

If you are just using your eyes , I smell bias

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

So do you own a nexus 6? Not sure how data encryption on write has anything to do with GPU stutter but anyway.

Sure your nexus 7 isn't any smoother. So isn't my iPad air.
If we're talking last gen tech now.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
How are you evaluating the fps?

How did you do so on iOS?

If you are just using your eyes , I smell bias

If I am just using my eyes? the scrolling is still not as smooth and as instantly responsive as it is on newer iOS devices, you can feel and see it, granted its a Nexus 7 from 2013 with a underclocked quad core 1.5 ghz S600 SoC but still

It is smooth dont get me wrong, but iOS still a notch above in that department

----------

So do you own a nexus 6? Not sure how data encryption on write has anything to do with GPU stutter but anyway.

Sure your nexus 7 isn't any smoother. So isn't my iPad air.
If we're talking last gen tech now.

iPad air is most certainly more snappier and offers better responsiveness then the Nexus 7

And data encryption affects it because when the read/write speed cant feed the CPU and even GPU fast enough, switching between apps and things of that nature can stutter and not to mention the Nexus 6 launches games and depending on the app 2-3x slower then other Flagship Android devices (Note 4, M8, S5, G3 , etc)

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon

I just tried this page on my 6+ and it didn't crash safari. It is a rather data heavy page tho , but scrolling smoothly thru is not a problem. If I go fast it can't load fast enough, but don't go fast, just smooth and steady and it's fine, no crashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.