Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Interesting. I wonder how the x5690 or 980x would compare? I'm thinking that would be my next upgrade. Prices are still ridiculous for the Xeons.

I used to run my 970 overclocked at 4.5ghz with hyperthreading if I remember correctly for the bigadv units a few years back.

980X is only 12 cores, right? it's a no go.

now if you had an overclocked SR-2 with 2 xeons, it still would just barely make it.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
You'll pass me in production...

Hi Christian -- I've turned the 4p system over to Team 33 [H] to help them with their goal of beating Default and doing 2 bn in a month and also to thank them for all the advice they give everyone in the folding community -- this'll take me down to about 320 K ppd so I figure you'll be able to beat me easily :)

Louis

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hi Christian -- I've turned the 4p system over to Team 33 [H] to help them with their goal of beating Default and doing 2 bn in a month and also to thank them for all the advice they give everyone in the folding community -- this'll take me down to about 320 K ppd so I figure you'll be able to beat me easily :)

Louis

Noooooooooooooo

Be carefully that the panda don't bite you ;-)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

Louis

Not be too easy, my 660Ti is only a weekend folder. 24/7 are only the mini Titans.
Will be changing every day back and force. Like dancing ... :D

----------

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
congrats to Silent Panda on 2 million points!

congrats to OrangeSVTguy on 9 million points!

And the whole team had an awesome October with 74 million points; best ever in our history.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Louis

:(

That is unfortunate news. Considering they have groups of people getting 1,000,000PPD, Team 3446 needs more help than that group ;) .

However, it is great that you still have intentions to keep folding and helping the overall cause.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

That is unfortunate news. Considering they have groups of people getting 1,000,000PPD, Team 3446 needs more help than that group ;) .

However, it is great that you still have intentions to keep folding and helping the overall cause.

well, given that I would never have attempted a 4p build without the advice on the [H] boards and their amazing Linux scripts to set up F@H and to over clock the Supermicro server boards, I think it's a fair trade…

It's also an invitation for you to check out the Black Thursday deals and grab another GPU :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

well, given that I would never have attempted a 4p build without the advice on the [H] boards and their amazing Linux scripts to set up F@H and to over clock the Supermicro server boards, I think it's a fair trade…

It's also an invitation for you to check out the Black Thursday deals and grab another GPU :D

i gotta agree with 840quadra on this. i know that the guys over there have helped you out, as they have helped me out as well over there (i have started some threads myself and asked for help). but they have tons of members and are the number 1 team already. our team doesn't have the focus and the members that they have, and we are just not a big priority. luckily with us hitting 1 billion, we've gotta some news and got more members. but nothing like them. they have users that produce more than our entire team. some that double or triple us.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

Louis

Once they reach the 2bn points we can welcome your 4p back ? Yes ? Yeeees ? :confused: I think we could grant you some short vacation. I can't stand the exposure on #3 :p

Our next goal: 1bn in 12 month. 2% done.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Once they reach the 2bn points we can welcome your 4p back ? Yes ? Yeeees ? :confused: I think we could grant you some short vacation. I can't stand the exposure on #3 :p

Our next goal: 1bn in 12 month. 2% done.

oh definitely! maybe sooner -- enjoy #3 while you have it! I'm waiting for whiterabbit to come back and reclaim his spot on the top 20 then we'll both be pushed down :)

Louis

PS my 4p puts out only about as many PPD as my 2 GPU 7970 unit -- it just cost way more to build and sucks back far more power… I'll have to do something about that :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
oh definitely! maybe sooner -- enjoy #3 while you have it! I'm waiting for whiterabbit to come back and reclaim his spot on the top 20 then we'll both be pushed down :)

Gooood; yeah. Miss the days of whiterabbit and his gang of fabulous four.

I'll have to do something about that :D

While on your vacation over t[H]ere: AndyE's thread about Ivy Xeons; you find my footstamp there too. :cool: E5v2 is the way ... Best PPD/watt ratio; just the hell of entry fee.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Gooood; yeah. Miss the days of whiterabbit and his gang of fabulous four.

While on your vacation over t[H]ere: AndyE's thread about Ivy Xeons; you find my footstamp there too. :cool: E5v2 is the way ... Best PPD/watt ratio; just the hell of entry fee.

yeah, I hope whiterabbit is OK and all…

...and I did see your footprints over t[H]ere; AndyE has definitely brought a lot of new knowledge to the table with his ability to swap rigs and GPUs and check out new processors.

I totally agree with that thought on the E5v2 -- but as you said the cost of entry is really, really high. (and of course folders as a whole have quite an effect on the market for chips) Who wouldn't want to make huge PPD while sipping power?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
congrats to 840quadra on the first 1 million points!

Thanks, I have slowed way down again though. The new GPU is not compatible with OpenCL in OS X, so I had to remove it due to my having a video project I am working on. When I boot into OS X I have to run on the GTX 650.

Once I get a new power supply (to support both of them) I will get both active in folding during the systems off time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.