Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
There's nothing wrong with a good 1911. There are reasons they are still in use today by the Military. (by choice)
I own a Kimber and love it, will be grabbing a 2nd 1911 to customize/upgrade pretty much every single part.

Since I last posted in this thread.. I picked up a Springfield Armory XD 9mm service model at a sports shops "grand opening" for $300.. Wasn't planning on buying one, but I no longer had a 9mm and the price was right.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
There's nothing wrong with a good 1911. There are reasons they are still in use today by the Military. (by choice)
I own a Kimber and love it, will be grabbing a 2nd 1911 to customize/upgrade pretty much every single part.

Since I last posted in this thread.. I picked up a Springfield Armory XD 9mm service model at a sports shops "grand opening" for $300.. Wasn't planning on buying one, but I no longer had a 9mm and the price was right.

Yeah, I'm sure the 1911 would end up being a great choice. Just want to do some more looking I guess. I love the look of the 1911, like the feel of them, but I don't know enough of what's out there yet. I hate to sound $1200 then see something I like better a week later. I like the looks of a "tactical" gun if that makes sense. Kind of like the olive green or desert camo. Maybe some camo.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
1911s are an interesting field of study in and of themselves.

I can appreciate the fine craftsmanship that goes into something like an Ed Brown.

At the same time, though, I've shot Ed Browns next to plain old sloppy GI models, and can't see the difference on paper. Ed Browns(or at least the one I shot) have phenomenal triggers, but at the end of the day the tighter tolerances inherent in them seem to bring a lot of unreliability that less "tight" 1911s don't have.

At the end of the day, I'd take a plain old GI model with better sights and possibly an upgraded trigger than a several thousand dollar 1911. The beauty of a 1911 is that you can do all of this.

I'm also somewhat at a loss on what the full length guide rod-that seems to be all the rage these days actually accomplishes :). Personally, I'll take not needing to use a bushing wrench, but that's just me.

But, then, I'm also a revolver guy :) . I like my 45s to be 45 Colt, and I like my 1911s in 38 Super.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
These pics are a year or so old... added some cans and a few more toys, since then.
1052-ars.jpeg

1051-somepistols.jpeg

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Question for you guys. Gander mountain has the Kimber Custom II Two-Tone on sale through Saturday for $699.99. It's really just what I wanted, but now looking around I see do much I want:). I like the gun, what do you think about it? And what about the price? Something I should grab for that price while I can, or wait around its not all that great?

I don't think Gander Mountain accepts Apple Pay or that might convince me to buy it with the extra cash back, anyone know of a way to either get a better deal on the gun? Or maybe I was thinking sometime places like Costco have decent deals on Gift Cards, does anyone know where they might sell Gander a Mountain a Gift Cards at a discount?

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
I don't have pics of all my guns but I do have a pic of my AR that I built myself. It's probably the most fun to shoot out of any of my other guns but it is a very ammo hungry gun. I can go through 500 rounds of ammo in a day easily. I also have a glock 23 gen 4 .40 cal, 12 gauge browning pump, 7mm-08 browning x-bolt, a old .410 shotgun, a .22 browning buck mark handgun, a 20 gauge Remington 870 and I'm Hoping to get a kimber 1911 soon.
image.jpeg

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I don't have pics of all my guns but I do have a pic of my AR that I built myself. It's probably the most fun to shoot out of any of my other guns but it is a very ammo hungry gun. I can go through 500 rounds of ammo in a day easily. I also have a glock 23 gen 4 .40 cal, 12 gauge browning pump, 7mm-08 browning x-bolt, a old .410 shotgun, a .22 browning buck mark handgun, a 20 gauge Remington 870 and I'm Hoping to get a kimber 1911 soon. View attachment 602695

Very nice. My AR also burns through ammo by the case.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I don't have a collection yet... But for now this is my daily driver in the pocket opposite of my phone. Not too heavy, fits in my jeans, and packs a close range punch. I live in a slightly sketch part of town, or close to it anyway so I have it on me just about 24/7.

G42.jpg Open.jpg Pocket.jpg

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I don't have pics of all my guns but I do have a pic of my AR that I built myself. It's probably the most fun to shoot out of any of my other guns but it is a very ammo hungry gun. I can go through 500 rounds of ammo in a day easily. I also have a glock 23 gen 4 .40 cal, 12 gauge browning pump, 7mm-08 browning x-bolt, a old .410 shotgun, a .22 browning buck mark handgun, a 20 gauge Remington 870 and I'm Hoping to get a kimber 1911 soon. View attachment 602695

That's nice, I eventually want an AR also. And a Glock:). I'm between a Kimber and a Glock right now. Is the Gen 4 really worth it, is it a noticeable upgrade? I found a gen 3 used, but kind of want the latest.

I see Discover Rewards offers Bass Pro GCs, $20 for a $25 GC. Might have to see what they have, it's probably close to a 2 hour drive though. Anyone buy guns from them? Are they knowledgable and have a good selection?

Last edited:

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
That's nice, I eventually want an AR also. And a Glock:). I'm between a Kimber and a Glock right now. Is the Gen 4 really worth it, is it a noticeable upgrade? I found a gen 3 used, but kind of want the latest.

I see Discover Rewards offers Bass Pro GCs, $20 for a $25 GC. Might have to see what they have, it's probably close to a 2 hour drive though. Anyone buy guns from them? Are they knowledgable and have a good selection?

Honestly there is not much of a difference between the gen 3 and a gen 4. A gen 4 is what they had in stock when I got mine so that's what I bought

Reactions: jjk454ss

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Recently took a pic of my S&W M&P collection:

1st row: 9mm (Shield, Compact, Full, Core)
2nd row: 40 (Shield, Compact, Full, Pro)
3rd row: 45 (Compact, Full)
4th row: 357 (Compact, Full)
5th row: 22LR
I'm looking to get a 9mm S&W shield, given the age of your post, how do you feel about the S&W M&P collection now? Any complaints on the trigger, I have a friend who was critical of the Shield's trigger, I'm not sure why at this point

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm looking to get a 9mm S&W shield, given the age of your post, how do you feel about the S&W M&P collection now? Any complaints on the trigger, I have a friend who was critical of the Shield's trigger, I'm not sure why at this point
I have a S&W M&P Shield in .40 cal. It’s a very nice handgun, but with the higher caliber and polymer frame it kicks a lot and target re-acquisition takes a second longer. The trigger is just fine for me; no complaints. I think you'll do well with the 9mm.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks, I'm liking this over the Ruger LC9s. The field stripping of the Shield seems easier as you don't have to punch out a pin on the Shield like you do for the LC9s. I'll be looking to pick this up by Friday if my schedule works out :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002

Some think the Shield trigger is a tad mushy and will upgrade to the Apex version. I didn't think it was that bad myself, though the Apex definitely is superior. I've added Apex triggers to 4-5 M&Ps now.

I should update that pic:

24vr9u1.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some think the Shield trigger is a tad mushy and will upgrade to the Apex version. I didn't think it was that bad myself, though the Apex definitely is superior. I've added Apex triggers to 4-5 M&Ps now.
That's what he recommended, I'm not sure I have the skills yet to do a trigger replacement - this will be my first handgun.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I'm looking at getting a Glock 43 in the near future. Looked at the Shield, but I shoot the Glock better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, MA has some pretty strange laws. Just took my class for a concealed carry permit last night. Are you looking to carry your Shield?
yeah, I was able to get a carry and conceal license here in Mass

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.