Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I was thinking of trying it for my iPhone 5, but I'm wondering if disabling those could cause excess battery drain. Thoughts?

As far as I know, there is no way to patch the CPU strength. I think what this tweak does is it kills certain images and animations and as a result, your springboard feels a little smoother or snappier because there isn't as much overhead it needs to manage. I could be wrong but I don't think flex nor any other software can patch CPU cycles.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
As far as I know, there is no way to patch the CPU strength. I think what this tweak does is it kills certain images and animations and as a result, your springboard feels a little smoother or snappier because there isn't as much overhead it needs to manage. I could be wrong but I don't think flex nor any other software can patch CPU cycles.

I thought so, though I do wonder what the other items are in this tweak. Any idea?
VSa0ytG.png

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
I was thinking of trying it for my iPhone 5, but I'm wondering if disabling those could cause excess battery drain. Thoughts?

Yes it would.

----------

I think the patch does this. Overclocking it. But I'm not sure.
There is a tweak overclocking the CPU of the iPhone in cydia tho.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Is there an updated list for which tweaks work on the iPhone 5 / 6.1-6.1.2?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Does anyone know how to make folders auto-close and give my springboard a 5 icon dock using flex? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone using the beta? Also there's an asphalt 7 patch, but have no idea how to work it!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Anyone using the beta? Also there's an asphalt 7 patch, but have no idea how to work it!

I'm using the beta. What does the asphalt patch description say? To use it (assuming it works...I found a bunch of patches that don't work), download it from the cloud, then go back to your list of patches, scroll down, enable it, and kill asphalt from the app switcher. Then open asphalt and test to see if it works. Let me know if you have any questions.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm using the beta. What does the asphalt patch description say? To use it (assuming it works...I found a bunch of patches that don't work), download it from the cloud, then go back to your list of patches, scroll down, enable it, and kill asphalt from the app switcher. Then open asphalt and test to see if it works. Let me know if you have any questions.

Doesn't do anything to my knowledge. Theres very little to none in the detail information. Here's a screenshot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366262144.054926.jpg

Last edited:

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
So.. I'm curious about this tweak. Since the "patches" are created by users, do you all feel comfortable using them? You're not worried about malicious code or anything of the like?

Has anyone who previously used springtomize switched completely from springtomize, removing it from their device and now only use flex? Is your battery life any better? I use springtomize and regularly get 8 hours of usage out of a battery charge. Since I got my iPhone 5 there's only been a few days where I've actually had to charge it in the middle of the day and it was on my days off when I was literally on my phone texting and playing games all day lol so I'm very pleased with battery life.

I only use 10 settings in springtomize, all but two of them are covered on the original post. Can anyone tell me if there's a patch for disabling spotlight and always forcing your wallpaper to show on lock screen (even when charging)? Those are the only two I use in springtomize that aren't in the original post.

At this point, I'm not sure if investing in this tweak would actually be worth it for me, but I am very curious because it does seem to have quite a bit to offer. More than springtomize does. But I love that I can hide apps with springtomize (although I could do that with lockdown if I had to), toggle mobile substrate addons and decide which Cydia tweaks I want to actually show in my settings app. I think it's ridiculous that once I choose which browser I want to use with browser chooser that I still have to have it in my settings app... Lol.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
So.. I'm curious about this tweak. Since the "patches" are created by users, do you all feel comfortable using them? You're not worried about malicious code or anything of the like?

Has anyone who previously used springtomize switched completely from springtomize, removing it from their device and now only use flex? Is your battery life any better? I use springtomize and regularly get 8 hours of usage out of a battery charge. Since I got my iPhone 5 there's only been a few days where I've actually had to charge it in the middle of the day and it was on my days off when I was literally on my phone texting and playing games all day lol so I'm very pleased with battery life.

I only use 10 settings in springtomize, all but two of them are covered on the original post. Can anyone tell me if there's a patch for disabling spotlight and always forcing your wallpaper to show on lock screen (even when charging)? Those are the only two I use in springtomize that aren't in the original post.

At this point, I'm not sure if investing in this tweak would actually be worth it for me, but I am very curious because it does seem to have quite a bit to offer. More than springtomize does. But I love that I can hide apps with springtomize (although I could do that with lockdown if I had to), toggle mobile substrate addons and decide which Cydia tweaks I want to actually show in my settings app. I think it's ridiculous that once I choose which browser I want to use with browser chooser that I still have to have it in my settings app... Lol.

For the most, Flex can do a lot of what springtomize does. But there are a lot of things springtomize does that flex cannot. But based on what you asked, Flex can not hide spotlight. At least that I'm aware of. I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this but still haven't found the solution. It does however allow you to show your wallpaper on lockscreen while charging. It removes both the huge battery icon and black background. When charging with this patch, the lockscreen looks identical to when its not charging. Springtomize keeps that big ugly battery icon there. In this case, Flex is a much better solution.

Regarding MS Addons and Preference Bundle Settings, iCleaner Pro can do both of these just like springtomize except iCleaner pro doesn't boot up with the iOS like springtomize does.

I recently made the switch from springtomize to Flex. There are three things I really miss from springtomize. I'm trying really hard to figure out a way to do these with Flex. 1) Five Icon Dock, 2) Auto-Close Folders after launching an app, 3) Disable Spotlight.

In summary, a huge amount of springtomize features are also accomplishe with Flex. I hope this helps.

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
Why not use both? I only use Flex for "Transparent Status Bar", everything else is by Springtomize 2. Works flawless.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
For the most, Flex can do a lot of what springtomize does. But there are a lot of things springtomize does that flex cannot. But based on what you asked, Flex can not hide spotlight. At least that I'm aware of. I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this but still haven't found the solution. It does however allow you to show your wallpaper on lockscreen while charging. It removes both the huge battery icon and black background. When charging with this patch, the lockscreen looks identical to when its not charging. Springtomize keeps that big ugly battery icon there. In this case, Flex is a much better solution.

Regarding MS Addons and Preference Bundle Settings, iCleaner Pro can do both of these just like springtomize except iCleaner pro doesn't boot up with the iOS like springtomize does.

I recently made the switch from springtomize to Flex. There are three things I really miss from springtomize. I'm trying really hard to figure out a way to do these with Flex. 1) Five Icon Dock, 2) Auto-Close Folders after launching an app, 3) Disable Spotlight.

In summary, a huge amount of springtomize features are also accomplishe with Flex. I hope this helps.

Thanks bumpy, when I got a quote notification I knew it had to be from you! Very helpful there.

Kind of disappointing that it can't hide spotlight. Hopefully someone can figure out a patch for that one soon. The whole reason I would switch from springtomize to flex would be just for this - to completely switch from one tweak to another. Not supplement or anything. And I would prefer to not have to download any extra tweaks to achieve things that I'm already getting done with springtomize. For time being, I will probably stick with springtomize, but I will also keep an eye on this thread because there were other patches that seemed interesting like the transparent status bar. I've wanted that forever, but I don't use winterboard.

Oh and I already don't have the ugly battery on lock screen, that was one of the first things I changed once I downloaded ifile lol

Thanks for the response!

Why not use both? I only use Flex for "Transparent Status Bar", everything else is by Springtomize 2. Works flawless.

I could do that, but I would rather not have to have both tweaks installed. If someone ever is able to make a flex patch for disabling spotlight, I would most definitely switch to flex. I thought about it some more and I actually have never had to disable mobile substrate addons and in the future if I have to I can just download sbsettings or I cleaner. Also the little nit picky feature of deciding which Cydia tweaks I want showing in the settings app isn't a make or break situation, it's just icing on the cake. Plus, I'm using an old version of springtomize to keep these features, I never upgraded to the new version. So I'm already using an old unsupported tweak.

Really the make or break deciding factor for me is disabling spotlight. I hate spotlight, it's pointless. I really hope some genius out there can create a patch for that and I will definitely jump into this tweak =)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks bumpy, when I got a quote notification I knew it had to be from you! Very helpful there.

Kind of disappointing that it can't hide spotlight. Hopefully someone can figure out a patch for that one soon. The whole reason I would switch from springtomize to flex would be just for this - to completely switch from one tweak to another. Not supplement or anything. And I would prefer to not have to download any extra tweaks to achieve things that I'm already getting done with springtomize. For time being, I will probably stick with springtomize, but I will also keep an eye on this thread because there were other patches that seemed interesting like the transparent status bar. I've wanted that forever, but I don't use winterboard.

Oh and I already don't have the ugly battery on lock screen, that was one of the first things I changed once I downloaded ifile lol

Thanks for the response!

I could do that, but I would rather not have to have both tweaks installed. If someone ever is able to make a flex patch for disabling spotlight, I would most definitely switch to flex. I thought about it some more and I actually have never had to disable mobile substrate addons and in the future if I have to I can just download sbsettings or I cleaner. Also the little nit picky feature of deciding which Cydia tweaks I want showing in the settings app isn't a make or break situation, it's just icing on the cake. Plus, I'm using an old version of springtomize to keep these features, I never upgraded to the new version. So I'm already using an old unsupported tweak.

Really the make or break deciding factor for me is disabling spotlight. I hate spotlight, it's pointless. I really hope some genius out there can create a patch for that and I will definitely jump into this tweak =)

You are very welcome. I am the exact same as you. I don't want two tweaks installed that offer similar/same features. I definitely feel like flex is more lightweight. For example, I used springtomize to start app switcher in editing mode. Sometimes the animation would be choppy when swiping up with zephyr. But its buttery smooth with flex. Some springboard patches I use are black status bar everywhere (removed Blackout), disable jiggle, start app switcher in editing mode, disable all icon labels including app switcher (does not include folders but you can if you want), and obviously the charging lockscreen (all these were originally handled by springtomize which obviously has been replaced by flex). I also use flex to disable the NC grabber eveywhere which makes opening the NC so much more fluid (I think zephyr does this too but never tried). I was pleasantly surprised to see this happen. I also use flex to remove the limit of notifications in the NC. I use flex to hide carrier name and page dots as well.

A temporary work around I found for the spotlight issue is to use flex and disable the spotlight keyboard auto-open. What this does is it makes the spotlight load instantly. It NEVER lags. It makes the accidental swipe not as annoying. You can also disable the spotlight wallpaper gradient, shadow, and dim which makes spotlight a page to simply show off your bright and sharp looking wallpaper.

I'm sure there are other patches I'm using right now that im not mentioning. That's only for the springboard. Never mind all the apps I have installed which have patches from Flex as well. It's a long list. Flex is incredible haha.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Can you take a screenshot of your spotlight page so I can see what it looks like?

Sure thing. Ill do it tonight when I get home from work. I only have the patch that disables the auto-show keyboard. I need to install the other ones and then take a screenshot. Ill quote your post again so you'll be noticed of when I post the picture.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
I finally replaced Springtomize with Flex and other tweaks because I heard that would be better for battery life.

One tweak I couldn't find a replacement for is one to remove AM/PM from the clock in the status bar. (24 hour time format is not what I want)

Anyone know of a tweak for this?

EDIT: I'm also looking for a tweak that will dim inactive apps in the app switcher.

Last edited:

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Sure thing. Ill do it tonight when I get home from work. I only have the patch that disables the auto-show keyboard. I need to install the other ones and then take a screenshot. Ill quote your post again so you'll be noticed of when I post the picture.
Hey don't worry about it, I went ahead and bought flex. A little bummed though because lockdown won't hide the phone, settings and Cydia icons! I emailed the developer asking of he could enable hiding those icons in a future release, but he probably doesn't want to because some people freak out if they lose their icons lol

So I still have to use springtomize for hiding those three icons =/

Other than that, I've completely switched to flex. It's a pretty amazing tweak!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hey don't worry about it, I went ahead and bought flex. A little bummed though because lockdown won't hide the phone, settings and Cydia icons! I emailed the developer asking of he could enable hiding those icons in a future release, but he probably doesn't want to because some people freak out if they lose their icons lol

So I still have to use springtomize for hiding those three icons =/

Other than that, I've completely switched to flex. It's a pretty amazing tweak!

You could also use Poof to hide any icons you want. Just throwing it out there instead of installing springtomize just for that feature. Poof is probably more lightweigt than springtomize.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
You could also use Poof to hide any icons you want. Just throwing it out there instead of installing springtomize just for that feature. Poof is probably more lightweigt than springtomize.

Is poof the same tweak that is used through sbsettings? Whenever I used to hide icons through sbsettings I used to get the whole white ghost icons that would appear of the field test and other random iOS services and would have to respring.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Is poof the same tweak that is used through sbsettings? Whenever I used to hide icons through sbsettings I used to get the whole white ghost icons that would appear of the field test and other random iOS services and would have to respring.

Have you tried using iRetiner GUI? It has a feature to fix white icons. I haven't gotten the white icons issue in well over a year, maybe closer to 2 years, but this app always fixed it for me. Then after its fixed you can delete this app.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Have you tried using iRetiner GUI? It has a feature to fix white icons. I haven't gotten the white icons issue in well over a year, maybe closer to 2 years, but this app always fixed it for me. Then after its fixed you can delete this app.

No I haven't. Man, I feel like I a virgin when it comes to Cydia these days lol back in 2010 and 2011 my phone was packed full with tweaks, but when I installed flex I barely went over the 10 limit.

I apparently know nothing about all the new tweaks because I haven't been paying attention to them! Oops.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
No I haven't. Man, I feel like I a virgin when it comes to Cydia these days lol back in 2010 and 2011 my phone was packed full with tweaks, but when I installed flex I barely went over the 10 limit.

I apparently know nothing about all the new tweaks because I haven't been paying attention to them! Oops.

I wasn't aware of a limit on the number of active Flex patches. But then, I'm only using five so far. Is there an active patch limit on Flex Beta?

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I wasn't aware of a limit on the number of active Flex patches. But then, I'm only using five so far. Is there an active patch limit on Flex Beta?

Oh no no that's not what I meant. I was just referring to for the last two years I've only had about 9 or 10 tweaks/apps from Cydia installed on my phone altogether. Sorry, didn't mean to cause any confusion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.