Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
First of all, it's absurd for people to quote how much other folks in other countries make per day without considering their lower expenses, including taxes, housing, food, transportation, health care, etc. It may sound like Americans earn a lot, but then when you describe how much we pay in taxes, rent/mortgage, etc. it doesn't seem so great.

Second, Americans may not be so inclined to complain about conditions elsewhere when they realize how much more they would have to pay for the crap they buy if everything was like conditions in America.

Third, employees are not slaves. They are free to quit and go elsewhere, and if that happens enough then employers will have to improve things anyway. It's happened in the US time and time again - when labor is scarce, employers have to offer all kinds of incentives. Let the labor market operate like a free market.

Fourth, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. People love to advertise a Foxconn employee committing suicide without revealing that the suicide rate among Foxconn employees is actually lower than the surrounding population.

Could not have said it better myself. People have tunnel vision and cherry pick their data.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where's the attention on Apple's competitors? Have they solved this problem or something?

Surely it would be nice to see for comparison sake.
The competitors don't sell newspapers or generate website views. NYT is a worthless excuse for a newspaper. I don't think it's a coincidence these stories came out just before/after Apple's earnings release.

rockland

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
You can say the same thing about HP, Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Acer, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Cisco, Intel, Motorola, Panasonic, Phillips, Sharp and Toshiba. OK, maybe not Motorola. ;)

The article specifically says that Apple's unique obsession with secrecy and NDAs with suppliers (and their suppliers), as well as squeezing the tightest of margins on them, have led to more intense pressure on them - more intense than other companies quoted.

Apple has tremendous market power and leverage. If they wanted to use it, they would. Apple is also an industrial and market leader. If they wanted to reinvent their supply chain according to their principles (as they have already done, to extraordinary and well deserved success in terms of design) they could.

A leader leads. Perhaps more than any other company, Apple can bend otherwise impenetrable barriers. They make things happen when they want to. When the price of noncompliance (through shaming articles like this) becomes higher than the extra cost in leading a change toward a more enlightened use of their supply chain, they will act.

Sadly, not before. We Apple obsessives are perhaps simply used to expecting too much from the company.

Still, from all I have read of Tim Cook, I think he will announce some rather drastic and welcome changes, as Apple begins to evolve beyond Jobs' cruelty-DNA. No matter how well that has served them in the past, it's time for a new paradigm, and I'm counting on Cook to make that happen.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Differences is Apple has both the money and power to do something about it and they are choosing not to. Instead they demand more profit to paid the bottom line.

Dell, HP, Samsung, etc. have plenty of money and power to do the same. This isn't Apple's fault nor their responsibility.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Businesses tend to be nicer if doing so is both wanted by their consumers and economically viable. Regulating businesses to death doesn't generally help them spend more on "Human Rights". Realize that most people in our government are not businessmen, nor have much of a clue as to how to run a successful business; Not the kind of people I want regulating businesses... It's actually pretty amazing how many of the world's problems these days were initially caused by some sort of government regulation. These people have no reason to know what they're doing with half of the regulation they dish out, so they tend to not.
If you feel that your government needs more business insight, then you should work to elect more businessmen. I think that may help too, but ONLY IF the businessmen elected have their priorities straight, namely:

#1 - Regulate (not over-regulate) businesses to achieve better working environments.

#2 - Promote successful business models.

Governments exist to do the **** that businesses can't/won't do. ;)

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Where's the attention on Apple's competitors? Have they solved this problem or something?

Surely it would be nice to see for comparison sake.

Apple is singled out, because (as is detailed in this report and others), it has a much more abusive relationship with its suppliers with regards to margin, and have not been willing to compromise on this to ensure decent working conditions. Apple's effective supply chain management stands out in the business: and its also built upon this very exploitation. Apple is singled out because Apple stands out. Their practices simply are more evil than that of their competitors, and if you read this article again, comparisons are drawn.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The article specifically says that Apple's unique obsession with secrecy and NDAs with suppliers (and their suppliers), as well as squeezing the tightest of margins on them, have led to more intense pressure on them - more intense than other companies quoted.

Apple has tremendous market power and leverage. If they wanted to use it, they would. Apple is also an industrial and market leader. If they wanted to reinvent their supply chain according to their principles (as they have already done, to extraordinary and well deserved success in terms of design) they could.

A leader leads. Perhaps more than any other company, Apple can bend otherwise impenetrable barriers. They make things happen when they want to. When the price of noncompliance (through shaming articles like this) becomes higher than the extra cost in leading a change toward a more enlightened use of their supply chain, they will act.

Sadly, not before. We Apple obsessives are perhaps simply used to expecting too much from the company.

Still, from all I have read of Tim Cook, I think he will announce some rather drastic and welcome changes, as Apple begins to evolve beyond Jobs' cruelty-DNA. No matter how well that has served them in the past, it's time for a new paradigm, and I'm counting on Cook to make that happen.

The other tech companies would love for apple to build in the USA and increase their costs while decreasing efficiency. This gives their competitors an advantage. None of the big companies will follow because they have significantly smaller margins than apple and could not follow suit.

Jobs was so cruel. you are right. who cares about the lives he's changed of disability kids by allowing them to communicate with ipads, or the increased engagement in education. what a cruel cruel guy.

dangcookie

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Doesn't make it accurate

What? I'm talking about the terrible conditions at Foxconn reported by 100's of news stations around the world. I could care less what I former executive says - it's irrelevant.

Tony

Just because 100's of news stations around the world report something does *not* make it accurate. News is a commodity. People get paid to pass stories on to outlets. Outlets eat it up as easy pickings. Tony, we don't really know all the facts yet, so please tone down your rhetoric.

physicsprof

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's fine to hold Apple's feet to the fire, but it's only fair to do the same to all other manufacturers using Asian labor and facilities (ie, all of them). Most companies are not going nearly as far as Apple is to protect workers.

Did you read the NY Times article? Apple is worse than others.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
That NYT article makes me want to barf. I'm not rationalizing the human harm that happens in Foxconns's factories. Or other factories in China that make computers,tablets and smartphones but to single out Apple is just plain sick.

That article had about 2000 words in it ( approx. ) and only 3 words had HP or Lenova or Dell in it. They were mentioned incidentally.

To single out Apple is plain bad journalism. They didn't even provide an email link for the person responsible for the article.

It is the WHOLE computer industry's responsibility to make sure these things don't happen not just Apple's.
Because Apple has a lot of cash on hand they are the one at fault. They aren't .

Apple can lead an effort to bring these manufacturing processes back to the United States and they can do it successfully only if the other computer companies decide to join them in this effort. Until that happens Apple's success will have to carry the burden of bad press for the other computer companies while they sit on their hands and enjoy the slanted trashy press the NYT put out.

Hahaha thats funny. So everybody should write about how apple is most valuable company right now but they can't single it for this because its not fair? That is hilarious.

It goes both ways and apple can change things around by leading the pack like they did with iphones and ipads but it hasn't happened yet and probably will not as there are a lot of politics involved behind the scenes.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
So its ok if everyone else does it that it is ok?

And of that list the most powerful company on that list. The other companies that have money have little power to do anything. Microsoft for example may have money but they do not manufacture as much as Apple. This limits what they could do in terms of pulling contracts and forcing changes.

Apple on the hand they manufacture a lot of stuff and they have the most power to do anything and they are choosing to nothing.

So you're saying that the likes of IBM or Intel or HP or Dell do not manufacture a lot of stuff and do not have a lot of money either?

I still do not understand why Apple has to be singled out each time a Foxconn story breaks.

physicsprof

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Chicago, IL
Apple is singled out, because (as is detailed in this report and others), it has a much more abusive relationship with its suppliers with regards to margin, and have not been willing to compromise on this to ensure decent working conditions. Apple's effective supply chain management stands out in the business: and its also built upon this very exploitation. Apple is singled out because Apple stands out. Their practices simply are more evil than that of their competitors, and if you read this article again, comparisons are drawn.

Well spoken. At last someone who actually reads and processes the information provided.

physicsprof

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Chicago, IL
So you're saying that the likes of IBM or Intel or HP or Dell do not manufacture a lot of stuff and do not have a lot of money either?

I still do not understand why Apple has to be singled out each time a Foxconn story breaks.

It might be helpful to read the NY Times article.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Differences is Apple has both the money and power to do something about it

No. They don't. Apple doesn't have the "money and power" to do anything about Chinese labour, in China, that is under the mandate of the Chinese government.

Apple can pull out of China, of course. And there goes the neighbourhood.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
No. They don't. Apple doesn't have the "money and power" to do anything about Chinese labour, in China, that is under the mandate of the Chinese government.

Apple can pull out of China, of course. And there goes the neighbourhood.

If they can pull out isn't that exerting control? :confused:

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
This sounds like the old movie cliche', "I'm sorry I had to do this" while they continue to kick/punch/abuse someone to get what they want.

The sad truth is that we want cheaper products so they use countries with lower wages and worse working/living environments. If we'd all accept a 300% jump in the cost of electronics we could manufacturer everything locally.

Not really. Consider that Apple used to manufacture computers in the US and did quite well, even back then.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Dell, HP, Samsung, etc. have plenty of money and power to do the same. This isn't Apple's fault nor their responsibility.

Well lets stick to the american companies but Dell and HP for example do not have the profit nor the margins Apple do. On top of that they do not manufacture as much.

Yes they should get some heat but Apple is the one who can start the biggest change.

But then again the argument for I see defending Apple is this argument "Everyone else does it" That argument is crap and not valid. It just an excuse but not a valid reason.

Bingo. Apple could start a pull out. Take a hit on the profit margins but they still would be turning massive profits. 40% margins and not even bothering to do something about it.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
It's pure ridiculousness to suggest that Apple move all production to the US. If they did, and the prices tripled (as some other forum members have suggested). They would go out of business pretty quickly.

rockland

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
The other tech companies would love for apple to build in the USA and increase their costs while decreasing efficiency. This gives their competitors an advantage. None of the big companies will follow because they have significantly smaller margins than apple and could not follow suit.

Jobs was so cruel. you are right. who cares about the lives he's changed of disability kids by allowing them to communicate with ipads, or the increased engagement in education. what a cruel cruel guy.

Apple carries the DNA of its founder. It is idealistic and pure genius. It makes extraordinary products that have helped countless people. But Apple carries ALL the DNA of its founder. If you read the biography of Jobs, his many acts of utter cruelty toward others are detailed.

I think it's a little disingenuous to compare Apple to other companies, because none of us is ever going to buy a Dell, right? Apple is exceptional: that's why we single them out when we buy their products. We also expect them to behave better than the crapola PC makers.

And unique among them, Apple has the cash reserve to begin to transform the conditions under which their products are assembled. They're not God. They can't make it happen overnight. But just as they have made many near-miraculous products happen over years of quiet planning, they could also use their power to make a difference in the lives of the people who actually build their products.

It's the Zen thing to do...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

No, that's ****ing up your business and driving up prices for you and me. There is no corporate board of directors on earth that would approve of such a move in the first place, unless government regulations required it.

That is not a viable solution. Certainly not workable for the foreseeable future.

This is China's responsibility, along with that of the international community (governments.) It isn't an Apple problem, nor can Apple address it effectively beyond doing what oversight they are doing now.

physicsprof

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Chicago, IL
"The company finds itself struggling to deal with the human factor that has become increasingly visible..."

What a horrible euphemism. The "human factor." Please. Call it what it is: extremes of worker abuse and cruelty leading to absolutely preventable explosions, and a rash of suicides.

Anybody who read that entire article will think of Dickens's Industrial Revolution England, not of Steve Jobs's glib idealism and 21st-century tech-enabled fairytales.

If Apple can completely transform five major industries and sit on $80+ billion in CASH while having an unprecedentedly blockbuster quarter, they sure as hell can transform the ethics of their supply chain. Hell, they can transform the US economy by doing the right thing, and starting to build factories again in the U.S.

And/or use their leverage to REALLY make a difference in China, since clearly Foxconn and the other suppliers there have the government in their pocket.

And I don't want to hear about how ALL tech companies "have to do this." That is just BS. Apple reserves for itself every exception it chooses to. If Foxconn or any other supplier were screwing up a single tiny part on a single tiny device, Apple would be all over them to fix it... yesterday. If they wanted to do this, REALLY do this right, they would be doing it... rather than hiring some PR people and conflict-of-interested outside firms to try to make the scrutiny go away.

Apple is responsible, through incredibly aggressive price controls and obsession with secrecy, for forcing their suppliers to force their workers to produce ever more and ever more quickly, safety and health and basic human consideration be damned.

Al Gore: where are you when we need you? As an Apple director, you are fiduciarily - and morally - responsible.

Thank you for articulating this.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Well lets stick to the american companies but Dell and HP for example do not have the profit nor the margins Apple do. On top of that they do not manufacture as much.

Yes they should get some heat but Apple is the one who can start the biggest change.

But then again the argument for I see defending Apple is this argument "Everyone else does it" That argument is crap and not valid. It just an excuse but not a valid reason.

Bingo. Apple could start a pull out. Take a hit on the profit margins but they still would be turning massive profits. 40% margins and not even bothering to do something about it.

And the argument "they are big and have the money" is not crap? There is nothing that obligates apple to change how a third party company manages their workers. it would be nice but it's not required by law. ....well until obama taxes the hell out of any and all companies with jobs overseas like he stated in the SATU.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Some things to consider...

First, these former Apple Execs, if they waited for their NDAs to expire, are reporting on facts from several years ago.

Second, Apple doesn't own those factories, and I'm sure no executive likes to be told how to run his own business. Apple may try to enforce some ethics, but in reality there's not much they can do.

Third, that's how China runs. It has a lot of people that would otherwise would be unemployed if there were no factories for them to work at. True, there's obviously some kind of exploitation going on in there, but what's better: working too much or having no work at all?

Fourth, it's the main responsibility of the chinese government to look after their own citizens. If the government allows it, it's their problem. This is not a recent problem. The word of a foreigner just ends in deaf ears.

Fifth, whoever is planning to stop buying Apple products because of this, then this person should also stop buying any clothing, shoes, cameras and any other product made outside the U.S.A. And even here in the U.S., the same problem exists, just that is well hidden. There are lots of clothing factories that exploit people, including children for wages below minimum limits, and also long hours of work.

In conclusion: Start cleaning your own house before trying to clean other people's houses!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.