Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yep apples hiring execs . But as per normal procedures there, Non-white 40's-ish males need not apply.

Pretty much everywhere in any skilled business unless one has a unique ability, specialty, or portable client portfolio. It's not just Apple.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Just not in a gold option please.

See this is my problem with the gold OPTION. It's just that. and OPTION. No one is required to buy them and i have in my experience that Apple's color options always look better in person than in photos or promotional material.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I had absolutely no interest in an iWatch — until now. I love the Nike+ fitness system. Having logged 18,000 miles using Nike+, I'm reluctant to make the switch to a more full-featured device (such as the FitBit). If an iWatch includes fitness-related features and lets me carry over my Nike+ miles, I'll be the first in line to purchase one.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Bob Mansfield's new personal trainer?

Introducing the new Bob Mansfield. Faster, thinner, and lighter than ever. Completely redesigned from head to toe. :apple:

iWatch will definitely need

a tiny & extremely power efficient bluetooth radio to tether with idevices
a great quality retina bendable screen
a gimmick that will make people want to wear it

Perhaps the gimmick could involve snapping a picture of the cloths you're wearing and having the watch's theme adapt to the colors. Kind of like the Nest changing colors based on its environment.

Last edited:

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
Seems like Apple will be late to the game if they are just recruiting him...seems like a year off.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
hopefully this doesn't mean that iwatch will turn out to be one of those bs trend jogging wrist straps that have been available from other brands for the past several years.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
I hope that they aren't going to persist in the myth that you loose weight by exercise with this watch and that it'll track your activity because it's been seen in even Olympic athletes that heavy activity is followed by heavy downtime periods and that most calories 75% or more are burn't keeping you alive whether you move or not. you have to exercise so much for minimal burn compared to just cutting out high calorie foods.

The iwatch is not an innovate product but a money crabbing exercise and i'll be disappointed the day apple release one and i hope it never comes in a 'Health Item' Guise.

This hiring is really worrying if it has anything to do with this guys actual job experience.

This is probably the most ridiculous comment I ever read in this blog in the last 3 years.

----------

Bob Mansfield's new personal trainer?

... And the best one.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Just change the grey background from his photo to a white one and he will be perfect in an Apple promo video. Perhaps even on Apple's executive listing web page.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Late 2014 launch? Why so long of a wait? Still not a fan of the all in one sitting, all in the fall launches for Apples entire product portfolio. :cool:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Some people, like myself, still have some sense of decency and aren't willing to look like an idiotic nerdy £&ick.

I wear glasses anyway (my eye sight is terrible, I'm half way there to blindness) so I can't possibly look any more nerdy than I do, and who cares. Google glass is amazing :p

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
*wonders why people want a smart watch when google glass will be here.

As a person who already wears prescription eyewear, Google Glass won't be an option to me (or millions of others).

So now you don't have to wonder anymore. :D

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
I wear glasses anyway (my eye sight is terrible, I'm half way there to blindness) so I can't possibly look any more nerdy than I do, and who cares. Google glass is amazing :p

I wear glasses too. That doesn't mean I am keen on pointing a video recording machine at people. Neither I want to live my life through a machine popping notifications.

Having said that, I understand some would like to use google glass. I won't.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As a person who already wears prescription eyewear, Google Glass won't be an option to me (or millions of others).

So now you don't have to wonder anymore. :D

There is already a version in the works for people that wear prescription eyewear. You think Eric Schmidt hasn't thought about that before? :cool:

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
So, the recent hirings make it clear that fitness/ health monitoring will be a significant aspect of the iWatch. Nevertheless, it is still difficult to see where Apple is going with this. Whenever they have succeeded brilliantly in the past--with music players, smartphones, and tablet computers--they introduced game-changing devices that redefined their respective categories. Whenever they failed to do this and instead released a "me too" offering (think Apple TV, Newton) they have been far less successful. And this is my problem with the idea of a "superwatch.' The burgeoning fitness market is already saturated with slick devices that have excellent cloud integration. For example, I use my Garmin Forerunner to track my running and cycling, and it records a wealth of data and seamlessly uploads it to Garmin's excellent site for tracking and analysis. Recently, I jumped into the Fitbit ecosystem by purchasing a Fitbit One activity monitor for overall daily activity tracking, as well as a Fitbit Aria scale for tracking my weight and %body fat. Again, the web integration and social networking aspects are extremely well done. And the space is already quite crowded with impressive offerings from many vendors. So, what will Apple bring to the table?

Of course, what my Garmin and Fitbit don't do are help me keep track of my appointments, assist me with personal navigation, provide news updates and weather forecasts, etc. I could see Apple attempting to create such a comprehensive experience in a "superwatch," but in a time when smartphones already do all these things really well, and most people are quite comfortable carrying a smartphone at all times, I just don't see what a superwatch would add to our lives. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Apple comes up with something really amazing, but we'll just have to wait and see.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
No iWatch, just Nike

They did not hire him to help with an iWatch, they hired him for his expertise in the mass production of overpriced goods by underage workers in foreign sweatshops.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Makes sense - if Apple is going to do anything fitness related they have to have some people who know what they're doing. It's not exactly Apple's core competency.

I can't really imagine they're doing all this for a single product, the iWatch?!

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
We call this product the "iWatch", but it seems likely that telling time is the least of any of its functions. It might end up with a very different name ;).

Still some people will say this is a watch...and that people stopped using them in the 70s

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
So Apple are going to wait till Samsung can make them a screen for their new device?

You think only Samsung can create a screen?

Im sure Samsung will release premature S watch to make Apple copying them.. then suddenly change after Apple release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.