Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Apple might indeed begin working on the vaporware they created... An iWatch for 2020 ?

phil.black

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Looks a bit 'Dunphy' to me...

“I’m cool dad, that’s my thang. I’m hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face!"

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
So, the recent hirings make it clear that fitness/ health monitoring will be a significant aspect of the iWatch. Nevertheless, it is still difficult to see where Apple is going with this. Whenever they have succeeded brilliantly in the past--with music players, smartphones, and tablet computers--they introduced game-changing devices that redefined their respective categories. Whenever they failed to do this and instead released a "me too" offering (think Apple TV, Newton) they have been far less successful. And this is my problem with the idea of a "superwatch.' The burgeoning fitness market is already saturated with slick devices that have excellent cloud integration. For example, I use my Garmin Forerunner to track my running and cycling, and it records a wealth of data and seamlessly uploads it to Garmin's excellent site for tracking and analysis. Recently, I jumped into the Fitbit ecosystem by purchasing a Fitbit One activity monitor for overall daily activity tracking, as well as a Fitbit Aria scale for tracking my weight and %body fat. Again, the web integration and social networking aspects are extremely well done. And the space is already quite crowded with impressive offerings from many vendors. So, what will Apple bring to the table?

Of course, what my Garmin and Fitbit don't do are help me keep track of my appointments, assist me with personal navigation, provide news updates and weather forecasts, etc. I could see Apple attempting to create such a comprehensive experience in a "superwatch," but in a time when smartphones already do all these things really well, and most people are quite comfortable carrying a smartphone at all times, I just don't see what a superwatch would add to our lives. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Apple comes up with something really amazing, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Apple could integrate all the different devices you wear right now into just one device. Add an app store to it and you enhance the range of possibilities further.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You think only Samsung can create a screen?

Im sure Samsung will release premature S watch to make Apple copying them.. then suddenly change after Apple release.

Well one thing is for sure Apple can't make the screen, they don't have the knowledge or the physical ability to make one.

Best they can to is as a real manufacturer to custom make something they already can produce to some slightly tweaked specs, and they bolt these items together like lego.

If Apple did actually design, develop, R&D & physically were able to make something themselves other than perhaps a case and a few odds and ends we could have more respect for them.

At least Samsung can do it all.

R0bert

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2005
Well one thing is for sure Apple can't make the screen, they don't have the knowledge or the physical ability to make one. ...

I don't want a screen, I already have an iPhone. The watch should be a soft plastic wristband
(not hard like Nike Fuel Band or UP) with the screen shining through the plastic.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
iLame. I hope it's good.

Actually I will be wrong, they will find a way to make it like no other company. Wonder what Steve would think about it. More and more I miss his meticulous and nitpicky ways. I don't think iOS7 would have come out the way it did, and I would know that he would have refined this iWatch idea into something we would have loved.

Good luck to Ive and this guy.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iLame. I hope it's good.

Actually I will be wrong, they will find a way to make it like no other company. Wonder what Steve would think about it. More and more I miss his meticulous and nitpicky ways. I don't think iOS7 would have come out the way it did, and I would know that he would have refined this iWatch idea into something we would have loved.

Good luck to Ive and this guy.

Steve's dead. Doesn't matter what he'd think. And he wasn't always right either.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't want a screen, I already have an iPhone. The watch should be a soft plastic wristband
(not hard like Nike Fuel Band or UP) with the screen shining through the plastic.

You mean a soft, thin flexible screen, like Samsung have developed?

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
This watch has been talked about now for something like two years. I'd love one but the pace of development seems glacial.

I sure hope it's worth the wait. I've been wearing the same Rolex GMT-Master since 1989. A superb Apple iWatch is probably the only thing that could make me put it in a drawer.

If it drags on a lot longer even Blackberry may have one out by the time it launches!

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
Although the target audience would be a fraction of what the normal "running capable" audience would be, I'm really hoping for the future to have a FuelBand like solution to track and motivate wheelchair wheeling and related arm movement.

neu1958

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
It's cool to see more signs of the iWatch project. But this Blahnik does not seem like the guy who will make this product great. From what I can tell he does teleshopping gigs for "revolutionary" work-out machines, makes aerobics- and spinning-videos and holds lectures. He has also been a "consultant" for projects like Nike Fuelband. He probably had a couple of ideas for Nike and I'm sure he's a great fitness expert but I don't see that his contribution will mean a lot. I actually have a bit of a hard time seeing what he will do at Apple 40 hours a week.
I mean, it's not like they've hired another Mansfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8bAW8C4EAI (Blahnik presents the "Nautilus One")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQJovwuc7I (Blahnik does an indoor cycling program)

Having known Jay for over 15 years, I can tell you he's more than the youtube video links you posted. Jay is very fortunate to have caught the eye of management at Apple, but Apple is equally as fortunate to have had Jay accept their offer. Apple hired a imaginative, creative, talented mind that will certainly give Apple their money's worth and help make the iWatch (if that's what he's infact working on) an incredible product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.