Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
UPDATE:. I poster earlier on Edge at work because my 3G would NOT load anything at all. I never had a problem with 3G at work with my 3GS....

Now I'm at home and 3G is working great and loading things fast.... What the hell is going on? And sometimes I've had it not load anything on full 3G bars at my house :confused:

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
UPDATE:. I poster earlier on Edge at work because my 3G would NOT load anything at all. I never had a problem with 3G at work with my 3GS....

Now I'm at home and 3G is working great and loading things fast.... What the hell is going on? And sometimes I've had it not load anything on full 3G bars at my house :confused:

I had this issue today for about an hour. It then magically started working...

This device really is magical!

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Keep in MIND, this HAS NOTHING to do with holding your iPhone 4 the wrong way. Read the title of the original post "full bars and 3g signal but not loading?"

actually i think it is related. there are a ton of videos that show data transmission stopping when held the same way as you hold it for the reception issue. search you tube

jim2011

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
actually i think it is related. there are a ton of videos that show data transmission stopping when held the same way as you hold it for the reception issue. search you tube

While that might be true, other posters have mentioned and it happens to me too that even when not holding the phone at all, pages still don't load. It never happened to me on the iPhone, 3g, or 3gs. Something is up. Also, I keep a bumper on mine at all times.

petefza

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
I have the exact same problem. I am in New York City and have a 3GS with IOS 4 loaded. I have full bars and 3G, but everything loads very slow. My battery has also drained alot faster since the upgrade but that's a different story.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I had this identical problem with mine yesterday, and the day before. I even set up an appointment to see what the hell was going on. I had to cancel it, and the phone this morning starting getting 3G again like normal.

This I believe is an AT&T upgrade they are rolling out nationwide in their systems- no joke. I thought my phone was broken as I did a restore, set up as new because of poor battery performance, then this 3G reared it's ugly head.

It is now working as before. Call AT&T and ask if they have any updates, or towers out. FWIW

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I've had this problem from Day 1. It seems that certain spots in my apartment, the phone says it has full reception and 3G signal but if I pick it up (holding it the "right" way, of course) after a while and move to a different room, I'll get a flood of texts all at once, or a bunch of missed call notifications and emails - indicating that it clearly did not have reception. Or I'll pick it up and refresh my email and it will say could not connect to cell network or whatever.

Very frustrating.

mrFinder

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I had this identical problem with mine yesterday, and the day before. I even set up an appointment to see what the hell was going on. I had to cancel it, and the phone this morning starting getting 3G again like normal.

This I believe is an AT&T upgrade they are rolling out nationwide in their systems- no joke. I thought my phone was broken as I did a restore, set up as new because of poor battery performance, then this 3G reared it's ugly head.

It is now working as before. Call AT&T and ask if they have any updates, or towers out. FWIW

If there were any updates of towers out, wouldn't it affect ALL 3G phones and not just the iPhone 4? Like I said earlier, I had the 3GS and iPhone 4 side by side, both with 5 full bars of 3G, and the 3GS was loading pages literally 10 times faster than the iPhone 4 (5 seconds to load nytimes on 3GS vs 50 seconds on iPhone 4). This was/ still is happening on ALL sites almost EVERY time.

Luminyx

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Another thing to note...

If I disable 3G and use Edge, I can actually view internet pages and whatnot. It's obviously much slower than 3G should be, but it works. With 3G enabled, it just sits there spinning.

Has only been an issue the last two days.

Same thing here.

First off, this problem started Monday morning/afternoon. I work in a building (conveniently for AT&T) and 3G slowed to a total crawl or it just refused to load any apps that required internet. Wifi is disabled, and when I try disabling 3G and use Edge, it actually loads.

I called AT&T customer service and talked to the tech and she wasn't very helpful at all. They just suggested resetting my network settings, and restarting my phone.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Happening to me aswell. WTH is wrong with this damn phone? Did anyone even test this thing out, or were they just like, "oh ***** it, looks good to me!"? My phone has proximity problems, reception problems, and won't load pages when I DO have a supposed great signal. It's very frustrating watchingmy girlfriend plug away on 3G, while my brand new phone says "can not connect to server" or whatever. Unfortunatly I really don't have the option to return this phone so it looks like I'm just gonna have to deal and hope an update fixes this ****.

mnpackerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
I was thinking I was really lucky to not have the death grip issue, but then my data speeds seemed really low yesterday, and wouldn't load some pages today. It didn't happen this weekend, but I was on wi-fi mostly. I downloaded the speedtest app, and sure enough with 5 bars of 3G, my speeds were awful. One test my upload speed was 0. I switched to Edge and while my speeds weren't great, which is to be expected, the speeds were all higher than my 3G tests.

I also want to point out I have a bumper case on, and half my tests were done without holding the phone at all. I really thought I had a perfect phone, boy was I wrong. I sure hope a software update can fix this.

GarrickD

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I called apple a few days ago about this and the guy told me to reset my network settings take out my sim and put it back in, and well i haven't had the problem since maybe I am just lucky but it worked for me!

atticus570

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
so im guessing since most people had no problem untill 2 days ago it might be something on at&t's part i think they were upgrading thier 3g network to support something like hspa or something like that. I think iread something about it being something that the iphone4 supports and maybe thats why its going slow for some reason

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Want to chime in here and say that this is happening to me too out in Queens, NYC. 3G has been spotty since late last week, inconsistent over the weekend, and the past couple days, it's been almost unusable. I get full 5 bars, but loading pages is a 50/50 toss-up most of the time. If it does load, it takes at least 30-45 seconds per page. Really, really frustrating.

I think it's the combination of AT&T updating their towers and the actual iPhone 4 itself. Nothing we can do but wait until Apple and co. work out the kinks...

If not, a million iPhones are going to be returned. :eek:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
it has something to do with 3g on att. I've noticed switching to edge gets me faster data at times/ Perhaps all the new iphones in the wild? att clearly can't handle what should have been verizon's phone from the start.

invisible777

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Want to chime in here and say that this is happening to me too out in Queens, NYC. 3G has been spotty since late last week, inconsistent over the weekend, and the past couple days, it's been almost unusable. I get full 5 bars, but loading pages is a 50/50 toss-up most of the time. If it does load, it takes at least 30-45 seconds per page. Really, really frustrating.

I think it's the combination of AT&T updating their towers and the actual iPhone 4 itself. Nothing we can do but wait until Apple and co. work out the kinks...

If not, a million iPhones are going to be returned. :eek:

I'm in Long Island. Same spotty issues as you. My iphone 3G was always fine throughout LI, Queens, Brooklyn, NYC, NJ, CT...

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
it has something to do with 3g on att. I've noticed switching to edge gets me faster data at times/ Perhaps all the new iphones in the wild? att clearly can't handle what should have been verizon's phone from the start.

It might not be the network at all either. I've heard stories of people testing next to 3Gs iphones and those are doing fine. My brother is getting a Nexus One tomorrow, so I will test AT&T 3G connectivity next to his. Just hoping for a fix in the foreseeable future.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
Pure Speculation...

I'm really starting to think that this is an AT&T network issue and not an iPhone 4 issue. At least for me, the iPhone 4 worked great until late Monday. Then data transmission using 3G was problematic. But it appears that this was the same situation for a lot of folks by reading this thread. As of this morning, my iPhone 4 is working fine, just like it did on the day I received it.

I cannot believe that the radio/modem's mean time to failure was just 4 days for a large swath of people. I'm guessing that since the iPhone 4 has the new high speed radio/modem, AT&T was messing around with their network, possibly affecting only those devices with the newer radio. This could explain why the 3GSs weren't affected.

Obviously, (let the flames begin) this is pure speculation. But I find it hard to believe the phone's data transmission worked well from Thursday to Monday for a large group of people, then went bad for a large group of people. That seems strange.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Funny I just posted this exact same issue in another thread just a couple minutes ago. Add me on, this is ridiculous. I even consciously hold the phone to avoid the signal loss issue when this happens and I get no response.

This needs front page attention and a gizmodo article.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I am having the same issue. Full bars and 3g icon but nothing works (Safari, email, Foursquare, Facebook).

I also have the issue (which I think is linked to this) of iP4 dropping data connection during the call - see here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/956138/

My battery life is very poor due to this as I think it keeps dropping 3g and then looking for it constantly.

I have a bumper case so it's not linked to the antenna issue.

My girlfriends iP4 is perfect and doesn't do that when both phones are side by side. Also my facetime calls to her fail most of the time but she gets through no matter what.

I've done everything from resetting network settings to changing sim cards.

I am on Vodafone in the UK if that helps.

Genius appointment tomorrow...

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Well, the Apple store has ordered me a replacement phone, they didnt have any in stock. I hope it is just the phone, and the new one will be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.