Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
For those of you that have been using a Note device what is the best way to get music onto the SD card without taking it out of the phone on KitKat? Also do music apps have any trouble scanning the SD card on 4.4?

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
For those of you that have been using a Note device what is the best way to get music onto the SD card without taking it out of the phone on KitKat? Also do music apps have any trouble scanning the SD card on 4.4?

I would just plug it into the computer and drag and drop them into a folder on the SD card. No issues what so ever and actually it is really quick over USB3.0. You won't have any problems just dragging and dropping!

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I would just plug it into the computer and drag and drop them into a folder on the SD card. No issues what so ever and actually it is really quick over USB3.0. You won't have any problems just dragging and dropping!

Awesome! Even on a Mac?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Out of the 12 different Android phones, I've owned the past 5 years, only two have been Touchwiz phones, the Note 2, and S4.

And no way can I go back to a Touchwiz device after the horrible crappy laggy S4. And it was mainly due to TW, and lack of root and no custom Recovery on the ATT S4 which made the device even worse with no way to tweak it better.

But the Note 2 was awesome, it was also an ATT version, but back then they allowed development, and ROM's, which was a must have.

Sadly the Note 4 on ATT will be crippled with zero development.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
How long does Samsung generally keep updating their phones for? I would have to spend 600+ on a phone and only have Android updated for a year.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The next generation brand new Android 5.0 'L' release will come on the Motorola Nexus-Six first.

But the Note 4 ? Who knows ? It will ship with the soon to be outdated 4.4.3.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How long does Samsung generally keep updating their phones for? I would have to spend 600+ on a phone and only have Android updated for a year.

Well my first Samsung device was the original note. It started off with gingerbread and was updated to ICS and Jelly Bean, so had 2 years of updates.

I think two years is the maximum though.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Samsung flagship phones usually receive 3 android updates.

My SGS3 has gone from 4.0 to 4.3 (and the US version to 4.4).

SGS4 has gone from 4.2 to 4.4 and will surely receive L.

You can criticise Samsung for a lot of things (I do), but updates aren't one of those things.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Samsung flagship phones usually receive 3 android updates.

My SGS3 has gone from 4.0 to 4.3 (and the US version to 4.4).

SGS4 has gone from 4.2 to 4.4 and will surely receive L.

You can criticise Samsung for a lot of things (I do), but updates aren't one of those things.

I wouldn't classify 4.3 as a major update, it was still jelly bean. It's like the point updates in iOS.

However two major updates is fair enough as it covers the two year contract period.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
I wouldn't classify 4.3 as a major update, it was still jelly bean. It's like the point updates in iOS.

However two major updates is fair enough as it covers the two year contract period.

For me the major point in 4.3 was the support for TRIM. That actually made my old SGS3 once again quite snappy :)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Ok guys, check this out:

pupahaty.jpg

y8uze9at.jpg

Two pictures of the burn-in issue I talked about that I saw on the SGS5. These are from the SGS5 I saw on the store. Went there today again.

This just shows the problem with AMOLED displays. The Note 4 will have the same display.

What you see on these pictures is the clock app, and at the bottom of the screen you can see the homescreen wallpaper still there burnt in the screen.

I hate that the Moto X+1 may also have an AMOLED display. Damn. It's going to ruin that phone for me.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Ok guys, check this out:

Two pictures of the burn-in issue I talked about that I saw on the SGS5. These are from the SGS5 I saw on the store. Went there today again.

This just shows the problem with AMOLED displays. The Note 4 will have the same display.

What you see on these pictures is the clock app, and at the bottom of the screen you can see the homescreen wallpaper still there burnt in the screen.

I hate that the Moto X+1 may also have an AMOLED display. Damn. It's going to ruin that phone for me.

Yeah, the burn-in is clear to see. However, I don't think that most people will leave their phones on the same screen for hours on end like the display units at stores are.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ok guys, check this out:

You can see the burn in alright. My issue with this scenario is.......Under what conditions would a consumer re create what phones go through at the carrier stores? Who uses their phones like that? Aren't those phones running a demonstration video? Are they running 24/7? Would you ever do that?

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
My brother has really bad burn-in on his Note 2. Not sure we can get around it and will happen after a lot of use.

As for my story on the Note 3.. I called today and complained and complained. However, since the phone has a hairline crack, they continue to blame it on the LCD and will need me to fork over $200 to fix it. Nothing more I can really do here, but pay it.

Hopefully I can sell the Note 3 for about $300 so I can recoup my money and make an extra $100 towards my next phone.

Bummer and not sure I will purchase another Samsung because of this. But of course, YMMV!

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
My brother has really bad burn-in on his Note 2. Not sure we can get around it and will happen after a lot of use.

As for my story on the Note 3.. I called today and complained and complained. However, since the phone has a hairline crack, they continue to blame it on the LCD and will need me to fork over $200 to fix it. Nothing more I can really do here, but pay it.

Hopefully I can sell the Note 3 for about $300 so I can recoup my money and make an extra $100 towards my next phone.

Bummer and not sure I will purchase another Samsung because of this. But of course, YMMV!
I have had a Note 2 since the first day of release and it has been my one and only for past 2 years. Have absolute zero issues with burn in. Can't wait to upgrade to Note 4.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Even if I did just stare at the home screen for hours at a time, I simply don't keep devices long enough to get screen burn in. I like to upgrade too frequently.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Ok, hold on guys, some people are telling me that the clock app has that image on the background, so it's not the burn-in (although I did see they had it on other backgrounds).

Might be a change Samsung has done on the latest update to the clock app.

de7uha4y.jpg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ok, hold on guys, some people are telling me that the clock app has that image on the background, so it's not the burn-in (although I did see they had it on other backgrounds).

Might be a change Samsung has done on the latest update to the clock app.

Yes it is the background. I just checked it out on my S5. So no burn in on those models.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
For the past 11 mos, I have used my Note 3 extensively without any burn-in. Two other friends have had their Note 3s for 9 mos and no burn. All of us use our Notes a great deal. This shouldn't be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.