Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You mean APPLE right?

Isn't APPLE the one that doesn't chase spec sheet numbers for the sake of it? Aren't they the ones who's release is right around the corner and are the target for Samsung in the release of the Alpha?

I wasn't speaking in context with the entire mobile industry, just against Samsung's predilection to simply try to improve by throwing more power/size at everything. Yes, Apple has proven that when paired with efficient software, specs can be next to meaningless. Up to this point though, Samsung's apparent business strategy in regards to competing with Apple was just 'make it bigger with top end specs and add every feasible feature we can think of before it's released.' Maybe, just maybe, Samsung has finally realized that isn't necessarily the best approach (as Apple and more recently Motorola have illustrated).

Yes, it does smack of attempting to steal Apple's thunder through imitation but you cannot disqualify that this could also be a change in direction on Samsung's part. They've been doing 'bigger/more power' for a few years now and while it certainly propelled them forward a great deal, they are clearly losing a bit of steam and have quite possibly realized there's a better solution.

I will agree though that this is only just a start and that their bigger concern is their software. I have no problem with them trying to innovate by developing new features and functionality, but unless they take a hammer to TW and reconstruct it to be a leaner, more efficient beast, these hardware changes will be for naught. Just my opinion of course, nothing more.

Alright, done hijacking the Note 4 thread--will continue any Alpha discussion over in the appropriate thread. Carry on. :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well the only device I would ever consider leaving the note line for would be the 5'5 inch iPhone and that seems like it won't be out on time so Note 4 will be my next device. I'm in the ecosystem now so I have all the note devices so no reason to leave now.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
You mean APPLE right?

Isn't APPLE the one that doesn't chase spec sheet numbers for the sake of it? Aren't they the ones who's release is right around the corner and are the target for Samsung in the release of the Alpha?

I'll admit, I'm impressed by the benchmarks. Glad they packed in a top of the line processor. Honestly, if this were Samsung's flagship offering for 2014, I'd feel differently about it. It would look like Samsung has finally figured out that higher numbers don't necessarily mean better. But alas, their timing just looks like they are trying to beat Apple at their own game and seems to show a lack of confidence in the GS5 (which still hasn't topped the almost year old 5S in sales).

Though the device still runs TouchWiz....and I've yet to see anything that says TW has seen a major overhaul.

Give TW a major redesign (more consistent design language across all menus and drop the gimmicks and bloat) and replace that horrible bandaid backing with something different (doesn't NECESSARILY have to be metal) and they'd have themselves a winner.....should be their next flagship IMO.

----------

Can someone explain "Side Touch" to me? What's the point? Does Apple or Nokia have a patent on using the volume up button as the shutter? Seems like a waste of space adding a dedicated sensor that only works in one of the camera modes....

I'm not that excited with side touch but I'm pretty sure there's no patent on the use of the volume up to take pictures as you can do this with the s4/note 3 etc.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm not that excited with side touch but I'm pretty sure there's no patent on the use of the volume up to take pictures as you can do this with the s4/note 3 etc.

I assumed there wasn't any patent. Just seemed like a no-brainer feature as opposed to creating some whole new sensor.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
[Ready to Note?] Your Note for Handwriting: http://youtu.be/RzTT7AIO3lA

New note 4 teaser from Samsung.

Excellent video! I'm really glad they're focusing some ads on the great s pen.

----------

Well the only device I would ever consider leaving the note line for would be the 5'5 inch iPhone and that seems like it won't be out on time so Note 4 will be my next device. I'm in the ecosystem now so I have all the note devices so no reason to leave now.

Personally, I love the s pen and my Note 3 and no way am I giving it up (I need to refrain from upgrading to the awesome-looking Note 4). However, the 5.5" iPhone does look sweet (maybe, I can get work to pay for a 2nd line, again?). Probably not.

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
[Ready to Note?] Your Note for Handwriting: http://youtu.be/RzTT7AIO3lA

New note 4 teaser from Samsung.

I hope they have much more in store than this. I can type out a note in my notes app much faster and neater than writing something down on my phone with a stylus. Writing in a digital age seems like going backwards, not forwards. I saw a poll on an Android forum once and only like 11% of people who owned a Note actually used the S pen. The main selling point for it has always been the screen size, but now, you can get a variety of phones in its size and even the iPhone will be coming with a large screen (5.5 inch) I have owned all three Notes but I have a feeling I won't be owning the 4th if this is what they will be pushing. Will get the iPhone instead.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I hope they have much more in store than this. I can type out a note in my notes app much faster and neater than writing something down on my phone with a stylus. Writing in a digital age seems like going backwards, not forwards. I saw a poll on an Android forum once and only like 11% of people who owned a Note actually used the S pen. The main selling point for it has always been the screen size, but now, you can get a variety of phones in its size and even the iPhone will be coming with a large screen (5.5 inch) I have owned all three Notes but I have a feeling I won't be owning the 4th if this is what they will be pushing. Will get the iPhone instead.

The s pen is a big differentiator. There's a lot more to writing than just text. Not only is it great for notes and drawings, it's great for phone navigation. Besides, many of us like to write out personal notes in our own hand. Sending your girlfriend a text is no where as personal as a hand written note.;)

Also, the Note has a good camera, processor, amount of ram, memory, and very good battery life.

For budget reasons, I may not upgrade my Note 3, but the Note 4 will not only be a good upgrade it will be a big seller.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I used to use my S-pen (Original note/note 3) for making quick notes and I also used or for scrap booking.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Yep, full handwriting support!! You have to get the beta though on the OneNote google+ webpage. Been using it for a couple of weeks and it works perfectly. Its bar none the best note app out there coupled with incredibly powerful desktop options.

W00t, w00t??! Hello Note 4, bye bye iPhone 6! Well, I'll still have to wait and see but that sounds super-sweet! I was going to get a Surface Pro 3 just for this, but now I'll really have to wait and see what's going on.

Will the new Note tablets be launched at the same event as well? How has it been previously?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
W00t, w00t??! Hello Note 4, bye bye iPhone 6! Well, I'll still have to wait and see but that sounds super-sweet! I was going to get a Surface Pro 3 just for this, but now I'll really have to wait and see what's going on.

Will the new Note tablets be launched at the same event as well? How has it been previously?

I think for the past 2 years the note 10.1 has been revealed alongside the note phablet.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Keep in mind that the desktop/windows only version of one note is MUCH more powerful than the mobile/android version. You might do ok with only the mobile version though, ymmv.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Keep in mind that the desktop/windows only version of one note is MUCH more powerful than the mobile/android version. You might do ok with only the mobile version though, ymmv.

I'm thinking that I could use the Note to jot down quick meeting notes, take some snaps with the camera and sketch some initial network/system designs when onsite at a customer, sync those "back to base" and then further refine them when back at my desk. Most everything that I do in OneNote will end up in PPT/Word or Visio anyway.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Just my opinion, so you can judge and hate all you want!

I probably will not be purchasing another Samsung cell phone. I had the Note 3 and it was a great device, until it recently died on me. Along with it dying on me, about 4 months ago the screen got a hairline fracture, which I believe is due to temperature cycling. A lot of people won't believe it and say 'oh you dropped it and just saying that', but I truly baby my phone and didn't drop it yet the screen received a hairline fracture. Here is a link to others that this happened to:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...defect-not-dropped-note-3-note-2-s4-s3-5.html

So fast forward 4 months of me using the device with the crack, the phone randomly got warm one night in my pocket. Next thing I knew, couldn't turn it on and it just vibrated every 10 seconds. Tried rebooting, new battery, new charger, recovery mode, you name it.. but wouldn't come on. So I decided I need to send it to Samsung.

Off to Samsung it went with my claim being ' Won't Power On '. Now (2 weeks later) they need me to pay $200 to fix the LCD, which is not why I even sent the phone in...

Long story short, make sure you do some research on Samsung's customer support and their Galaxy line. I had no idea there were issues with Sudden Death, Power Button failures, random screen cracks, etc. If you are looking at the Note 4 seriously, I would definitely look at the insurance policies and get one, since Samsung is not as customer friendly as say an Apple.

As for me, who knows what I am going to do... but the iPhone 6 is looking better and better.

Just my opinion and experience - others of course vary - but wanted to express my concerns and issues. /endrant

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I probably will not be purchasing another Samsung cell phone. I had the Note 3 and it was a great device, until it recently died on me. Along with it dying on me, about 4 months ago the screen got a hairline fracture, which I believe is due to temperature cycling. A lot of people won't believe it and say 'oh you dropped it and just saying that', but I truly baby my phone and didn't drop it yet the screen received a hairline fracture. Here is a link to others that this happened to:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...defect-not-dropped-note-3-note-2-s4-s3-5.html

So fast forward 4 months of me using the device with the crack, the phone randomly got warm one night in my pocket. Next thing I knew, couldn't turn it on and it just vibrated every 10 seconds. Tried rebooting, new battery, new charger, recovery mode, you name it.. but wouldn't come on. So I decided I need to send it to Samsung.

Off to Samsung it went with my claim being ' Won't Power On '. Now (2 weeks later) they need me to pay $200 to fix the LCD, which is not why I even sent the phone in...

Long story short, make sure you do some research on Samsung's customer support and their Galaxy line. I had no idea there were issues with Sudden Death, Power Button failures, random screen cracks, etc. If you are looking at the Note 4 seriously, I would definitely look at the insurance policies and get one, since Samsung is not as customer friendly as say an Apple.

As for me, who knows what I am going to do... but the iPhone 6 is looking better and better.

Just my opinion and experience - others of course vary - but wanted to express my concerns and issues. /endrant
Sorry that happened to you......
Did you try a carrier store? When you spoke with Samsung to end it back did you explain everything to them?
I have had 2 Samsung phones with video issues. One was a S3...the screen was blank but the phone was on just no video. I took it to a AT&T corp store and they replaced the phone on the spot. Same with a S4 with a flickering screen....same AT&T store same result. Both phones were about 6 months old at the time.
Have you tried something similar?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Not discounting yours or anyone else's bad experiences with tech, but my experience with the Note 3 has been such a positive one (budget, too) that I may not upgrade until next year. I'm going on @ 11 mos without any hardware issues (and I have dropped it). Also, on the software side, it's been very good. Occasionally, I'll install some glitchy app and it causes some problems. However, once removed, things are fine.

Just to relate, two times, I had tech problems with Apple stuff and their customer service was not only no help but rude. However, I usually have good experiences with Apple's customer service. So far, I have had no bad experiences with Samsung's custom service because I haven't needed them. I'm not saying that they are good or not.

My 2 cents.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Sorry that happened to you......
Did you try a carrier store? When you spoke with Samsung to end it back did you explain everything to them?
I have had 2 Samsung phones with video issues. One was a S3...the screen was blank but the phone was on just no video. I took it to a AT&T corp store and they replaced the phone on the spot. Same with a S4 with a flickering screen....same AT&T store same result. Both phones were about 6 months old at the time.
Have you tried something similar?

I'll be calling back in on Monday to Samsung to keep putting up a fight. I really hate to be that type of customer, I just feel used.

You have a pretty sweet ATT store.. Mine said take it to Best Buy and have the Samsung reps look at it. Once I took it to BB, they said send Itami see what happens.

Appreciate all the feedback and no flaming.. That's why I like the macrumors forums, a lot of people trying to help rather than accusations!

----------

Not discounting yours or anyone else's bad experiences with tech, but my experience with the Note 3 has been such a positive one (budget, too) that I may not upgrade until next year. I'm going on @ 11 mos without any hardware issues (and I have dropped it). Also, on the software side, it's been very good. Occasionally, I'll install some glitchy app and it causes some problems. However, once removed, things are fine.

Just to relate, two times, I had tech problems with Apple stuff and their customer service was not only no help but rude. However, I usually have good experiences with Apple's customer service. So far, I have had no bad experiences with Samsung's custom service because I haven't needed them. I'm not saying that they are good or not.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback! I always seemed to have good luck with Apple, just walked in with issues and walked out with a new phone.

I see Samsungs point with my dilemma.. Just makes the insurance look more appealing I suppose.

I did love my Note 3.. With Tasker, Utter! and Nova that thing was a beast! I'm sure the Note 4 will be a great device as long as it doesn't have the fallacies I have had.

Cheers guys and thanks for the support!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.