Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thats is weird...I have never seen a S5 or N3 with any kind of burn issues......

The local Best Buy has a bunch of demo Samsung phones with horrible burn-in scars all over the screens, though I do attribute that to running demo material at full brightness 24/7 for months at a time.

In real-life, I've never had anyone mention their phone had a burn-in issue.

With Microsoft OneNote now supporting S-Pen based drawing (at least in the latest beta versions), I'm more tempted then ever to make the Note 4 my new phone when it comes out, but I'm having anxiety about giving up the pure-Google super-smooth instant-software-updates that is my Nexus 5.

The only thing that reassures me is that since the Note line is basically Samsung's flagship, software updates for it seems to be a priority for it (or at least as much of a priority as Samsung is capable of; the definition of "priority" being up for discussion).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The local Best Buy has a bunch of demo Samsung phones with horrible burn-in scars all over the screens, though I do attribute that to running demo material at full brightness 24/7 for months at a time.

In real-life, I've never had anyone mention their phone had a burn-in issue.
thanks........I'll have to really look for it then. The display models i have seen at BB or the carrier stores have not had burn in.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Life's too short to be obsessed with every detail that does not meet your expectations. There will never be a phone that is perfect in every way for everyones needs so why not just get one that you like the best at the moment and get a new one when something better comes out?

Personally I've never had any burn in issues with any of my Amoled screened phones. I've now actually prefer AMOLED screens over LCD.

Now as for the news on the Specs of the Note 4, I love it.
3GB on the Note 3 has been great but 4GB is gonna be fantastic!

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
4gb ram haha, when are we going to call these things computers? (Not that they always haven't been)
There was lot of disappointment when Samsung continued with 2gb RAM for S5. I think, they are going all out with Note 4.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Well it's clear note line appears more important to Samsung than the s line

I wouldn't be surprised if the Note line eventually overtakes S line sales, or at least equals them.

I also believe that Samsung puts 110% everything in the new Note's, and like 75% in the S line.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if the Note line eventually overtakes S line sales, or at least equals them.

I also believe that Samsung puts 110% everything in the new Note's, and like 75% in the S line.
Yah. They should have added this metal bezel and 3gb ram to S5. Probably it is also cost thing. Note series prices are very stable. I am note sure if note 4 is water resistant.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
As cool as this system of the hardware will be on the Note 4, and nice beautiful large screen.

Sadly it's still a yucky Touchwiz OS :( I am just burned out on TW. Much prefer stock vanilla Android. Wish there was a GPE Note 4 coming. Or hopefully CM12 ROM.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Everyday a rumor comes out that makes me jump back and forth between the Note and the Nexus. Yesterday it was the Nexus with the 5.2“ screen. Today its the Note with the 4gb of ram..

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Everyday a rumor comes out that makes me jump back and forth between the Note and the Nexus. Yesterday it was the Nexus with the 5.2“ screen. Today its the Note with the 4gb of ram..

Pretty a given at this point that it will have 4GB. There are a few phones with 3GB of ram out right...the Note series usually have better specs than most when it is released...so I can definitely see 4GB of ram in it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Sensamic...you have officially become the MR Alternatives forum sequel to Onthecouchagain (for those of you who've been reading this subforum long enough to remember Couch). ;)

You both have near impossible to please standards and I worry you'll never find a suitable device. And if anyone is also a reader of Android Central, you'll might be aware that Couch still hasn't found a phone that meets his needs as his high hopes for the Nexus 5 fell short as well.

And just to be clear Sensamic, I'm just bustin' your balls a little, certainly nothing mean spirited intended, was actually a fan of Couch's perspective and enjoyed some lively debates with him. He was constantly picking apart every new device released and you reminded me of him.

Yeah, I remember onthecouchagain! :D:D

He's probably still around here looking at us anonymously :D:D

I know what you mean. I'm very hard to please lately, but that's only because I hate spending such amount of money in a product with some sort of problem, and I don't want to jump from one phone to another all the time. I have a lot of other different products which are great but when talking about smartphones I see issues everywhere :eek::eek:

I'll give you guys a brief list of these "issues" I see with each phone quickly:

* Samsung: AMOLED displays (I dislike oversaturated colors and there's also this burn issue still present), horrible build quality IMO, I hate hate having a hardware home button instead of on screen buttons or capacitive, the stupid USB cover that I would need to take off every day to charge the phone and finally the slowest skin of all (TouchWiz).

* M8: only downside is the camera. I like everything else, but I do use a lot the camera (mainly for 1080P videos, and now I want 4K video recording as the next step, and the M8 doesn't has it).

* Sony: overall very good but I just don't feel attracted to their phones. Might be their dull skin or something like that. Also the Z2 has overheating issues and also a USB cover like the SGS5. These are small "issues" indeed, so I think it's mostly that I'm not a fan of the skin they have.

* LG: Oh, LG... Loved the G2 but the GPS was terrible terrible, and had problems with cell reception, plus the well known camera problems at night. I also had a very difficult time restoring it to stock firmware after rooting. The G3 is great but I'm waiting to see if an update improves the performance (has lag) and the overheating issue. If so I would probably buy it.

* Nexus 5: Had it, loved it, but with problems again, like a very very weak vibration motor and speaker, plus terrible battery life too and the microphone issue when recording videos.

Smartphones are one of my biggest hobbies, but I'm not willing to spend 500€ or more on something I'm not 90% satisfied with at least.

Anyway, I don't want to go off-topic. This is the Note 4 thread, but it's true I'm having a VERY hard time finding a good upgrade to my SGS3.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, I remember onthecouchagain! :D:D

He's probably still around here looking at us anonymously :D:D

I know what you mean. I'm very hard to please lately, but that's only because I hate spending such amount of money in a product with some sort of problem, and I don't want to jump from one phone to another all the time. I have a lot of other different products which are great but when talking about smartphones I see issues everywhere :eek::eek:

I'll give you guys a brief list of these "issues" I see with each phone quickly:

* Samsung: AMOLED displays (I dislike oversaturated colors and there's also this burn issue still present), horrible build quality IMO, I hate hate having a hardware home button instead of on screen buttons or capacitive, the stupid USB cover that I would need to take off every day to charge the phone and finally the slowest skin of all (TouchWiz).

* M8: only downside is the camera. I like everything else, but I do use a lot the camera (mainly for 1080P videos, and now I want 4K video recording as the next step, and the M8 doesn't has it).

* Sony: overall very good but I just don't feel attracted to their phones. Might be their dull skin or something like that. Also the Z2 has overheating issues and also a USB cover like the SGS5. These are small "issues" indeed, so I think it's mostly that I'm not a fan of the skin they have.

* LG: Oh, LG... Loved the G2 but the GPS was terrible terrible, and had problems with cell reception, plus the well known camera problems at night. I also had a very difficult time restoring it to stock firmware after rooting. The G3 is great but I'm waiting to see if an update improves the performance (has lag) and the overheating issue. If so I would probably buy it.

* Nexus 5: Had it, loved it, but with problems again, like a very very weak vibration motor and speaker, plus terrible battery life too and the microphone issue when recording videos.

Smartphones are one of my biggest hobbies, but I'm not willing to spend 500€ or more on something I'm not 90% satisfied with at least.

Anyway, I don't want to go off-topic. This is the Note 4 thread, but it's true I'm having a VERY hard time finding a good upgrade to my SGS3.

Just about every phone you mentioned would be an upgrade over a SGS3......just sayin......

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Just about every phone you mentioned would be an upgrade over a SGS3......just sayin......

True. That's what I keep trying to tell myself, but I want something that's truly worth the money and the change. If I'm gonna buy a phone that has "issues" IMO then I'd rather stay with the SGS3 a little longer and save my money for something better.

The wait is killing me though :D:D

My SGS3 is so so so sloooooow that it's driving me nuts, and that's why I don't want my next phone to have some sort of annoying "issue" that in the long run would make me feel as annoyed as I am right now with the SGS3.

I want a phone that won't make me feel this urge to upgrade again in the future, because if that phone works great then I just won't have any reason to buy a new one, but if it has some issue like those I mentioned before then I would feel the need to change again in order to free myself of those issues.

If I bought the M8 then I would want to change to a phone with a better camera. If I bought the SGS5 then I would want to change to a phone without AMOLED display and without TouchWiz or with better build quality. Etc. Etc.

Very weird, I know :D:D

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
There will always be something better around the corner so in the meantime while you are waiting you are using a device that isnt as good as something you could be while you continue to wait for somehting better

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The only AMOLED phones I've ever seen with some type of screen burn in were display phones at retail stores. I've never seen a phone for personal use have screen burn in. Considering the millions of phones out there, if this was truly an issue, we'd hear a lot more complaints about this instead of random threads here and there.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My S2 had light screen burn, after a year of use.

Only visible on white though...Still sold it no problems.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Never has any burn on my s4 or Note 3. Dad didn't on his Note 2 either. Never heard of that before.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I've had my s4 a little more than a year. Upon close inspection, When I rotate the screen to landscape and am viewing a white background, the area where the notification bar would be in portrait mode is a little 'more white' . Like it is just a little bit brighter, which seems strange, I figured burn in would be darker.

I think I prefer LCD/IPS, but that's mainly due to visibility in direct sunlight, I've heard the s5 made good advancements in that area. I like the over saturation though, how colors pop and blacks are deep black.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
my note 2 definitely has burn in, but I bought it used that way and I think the previous owner used it as a display of some sort. I've read threads of other people commenting on their note 2 having burn in and it might be bevcause the screen is non-pentile?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.