Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
After seeing the alpha maybe the note 4 is coming with a metal back. Dunno a few more weeks to wait.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I have had Samsung phones since the original Galaxy, I will be disappointed if they move to metal bodies without the option for plastic

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have had Samsung phones since the original Galaxy, I will be disappointed if they move to metal bodies without the option for plastic

I agree....I like the plastic. it is more durable and wears better. Can be easily replaced if it gets scratched.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm sure they will give the option, as many still like that option.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
4gb ram haha, when are we going to call these things computers? (Not that they always haven't been)

There really needs to be a new designation for these devices.

SmartPHONE is only a tiny portion of functions they do.

callawayno1

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
the big question for me is if the note 4 is going to be waterproof if not i may stick a bit longer with my note 3.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I think the 4GB of RAM is wishful thinking, as is the water resistance. I would love for the phone to have both, however.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I agree....I like the plastic. it is more durable and wears better. Can be easily replaced if it gets scratched.

I wouldn't mind the change if it didn't compromise anything else. The GS4 is one of the best handling 5" screens out there because the plastic allows for small bezels and a thin profile. A metal body is nice, but not at the expense of ergonomics.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind the change if it didn't compromise anything else. The GS4 is one of the best handling 5" screens out there because the plastic allows for small bezels and a thin profile. A metal body is nice, but not at the expense of ergonomics.

My thoughts exactly. My problem with metal is, with large screens and batteries, the phone can be very heavy.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I think the exynos version is 64bit and the snapdragon 805 version 32bit

Let's hope they release both versions for everyone. Not just the Exynos for some countries and the Snapdragon for others. The Galaxy S4 last year forced me to go with the Snapdragon...

----------

I'm sorry but 4GB would never be a waste.

You know that a 32-bit system can only use 3.25GB of RAM max? The other 0.75GB would sit there doing absolutely nothing.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Let's hope they release both versions for everyone. Not just the Exynos for some countries and the Snapdragon for others. The Galaxy S4 last year forced me to go with the Snapdragon...

----------

You know that a 32-bit system can only use 3.25GB of RAM max? The other 0.75GB would sit there doing absolutely nothing.

Really, you'd prefer the exynos? Seems like most people internationally go out of their way to get a snapdragon model. I haven't used a exynos chip, but I'm afraid of it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

----------

Are there any apps that are 64 bit? Are the apps designed to take advantage of 64bit?

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Are there any apps that are 64 bit? Are the apps designed to take advantage of 64bit?

And even if so, I think down the line there would be more optimized hardware that can better utilize 64 bit, in addition to more fleshed out apps.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010

No, but in the future there will be. But that's not the point. The point is the fact that 32-bit can't address 4GB of RAM.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And even if so, I think down the line there would be more optimized hardware that can better utilize 64 bit, in addition to more fleshed out apps.
I agree...I think having 64bit is great to have a bragging point. But until the hardware and software is optimized to fully support it....it just fills a spec sheet.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
In this particular context yea, because the community support of devices with exynos chips is hit and miss.

Well I don't care about custom ROMs and stuff like that. Having the full potential of the hardware is more important in my eyes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, but in the future there will be. But that's not the point. The point is the fact that 32-bit can't address 4GB of RAM.
But are there apps that can address and use the extra ram? If the apps are not optimized to see and use 64 bit then it is used just to fill a spec sheet for now. Until the OS and all the apps that support it are optimized to use 64bit. It is kinda useless except to have on a spec sheet. It might be the way things will go in the future......but it is not utilized now......

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
But are there apps that can address and use the extra ram? If the apps are not optimized to see and use 64 bit then it is used just to fill a spec sheet for now. Until the OS and all the apps that support it are optimized to use 64bit. It is kinda useless except to have on a spec sheet. It might be the way things will go in the future......but it is not utilized now......

Intense Multitasking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.