Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Dec 16 is still fall by 5 days.

Depends where you live. Winter officially started on 1st Dec in the UK.

Personally I thought they would go with Tuesday 10 Dec release date as they seem to like releasing things on the second Tuesday of the month.

Either way I don't think they will actually ship until the new year.

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what it looks like in person. I hope we get new Cinema Displays to go with it at the same time.

Setmose

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Jerusalem, Israel
!! If Steve Jobs Was Still CEO...

... this German company would be toast. They would have their reseller license yanked for two years. I remember Steve punishing ATI for a couple of years for a premature advertisement. :apple:

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
With prices like that (3,000 Euros for the base model?!?!?), I guess Tim Cook wants to sabotage this line ASAP. "Well, we tried to make them in the USA, but no one would buy any...."

Not at that price!

For what you get this isn't a bad price, don't forget there are a couple of high end pro graphics cards in there. Those things don't come cheap and there are plenty of examples on the web of people attempting to build a similar pro spec machines and finding they can't do it for much less or even more in some cases. You really can't compare this to a cheaper desktop with consumer grade components, if you are it wasn't really designed for you.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
You really can't compare this to a cheaper desktop with consumer grade components, if you are it wasn't really designed for you.

Exactly. For me this purchase will be for a revenue-producing asset which is expected to pay for itself and more. I (and other professional users) will also be deducting the purchase price for tax purposes. In general, if this isn't a tax write-off for you, you are not the target user.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
... this German company would be toast. They would have their reseller license yanked for two years. I remember Steve punishing ATI for a couple of years for a premature advertisement. :apple:

Meh. Not really comparable, in this case they're just promoting what Apple already has on their website, the only thing we don't already know is a release date. I'm sure Apple isn't happy but whether it's an actual leak or just a wild guess, it's not letting out any actual info and worst case they won't be off by more than about two weeks.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
The 4 core uses E5-1620 v2

http://ark.intel.com/products/75779/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-v2-10M-Cache-3_70-GHz

The 6 core uses E5-1650 v2

http://ark.intel.com/products/75780/

There is no maybe about it. However, people suggesting that that 47zz blah blah blah is nearly the same thing so blah blah blah is just frustrating and silly. It really does make me want to bang my head against the tree.

----------

The 6-core could potentially be a E5-2643V2. There is still a "maybe" about it (although for cost savings, I would agree with you). But when you you get to 8-cores or 12 cores (since they don't come in the e5-1xxx flavor) then there is no question, they have to be 2xxx's. but even the 6 if it's the E5-1650v2 will still out perform your consumer level i7.

I deal with so many virtual machines and I get these questions from people all the time. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy parts and build it yourself. Yes, cheaper and unreliable. Because it's a consumer based-processer for whatever reason eventually bluescreens when under heavy load for too long. This is the reason any type of server does not use consumer-based processors, because reliability is worth the cost.

For gaming, programming, and any type of computer usage outside of the "workstation" definition it's great. If you think it's a waste of money to buy xeon's vs building your own computer, trust me, you are not the target audience that the Mac Pro is designed for (and I don't mean the "pros", I hate that term). What I am talking about, is if you want better monitor(s) then the iMac Mac Pro base for you. If you need more cores, Mac Pro 6-core for you. If you need server-level processing, Mac Pro 8-core+ for you. ALL assuming you are on OSX and just don't have the time to tinker with getting hackintoshes up and running.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The 6-core could potentially be a E5-2643V2.

Apple lists the six core as 3.5, 3.9 turbo, and 12MB cache, which is exactly what the 1650 has. The 2643 is 3.5, 3.8, and 25MB cache, so that rules it out. Plus there's no point in them using a chip that's more expensive in a single cpu configuration.

But when you you get to 8-cores or 12 cores (since they don't come in the e5-1xxx flavor) then there is no question, they have to be 2xxx's.

I guess you missed the link earlier in the thread, there is an eight core E5-1680V2. Expensive, but it exists.
http://ark.intel.com/products/77912/

but even the 6 if it's the E5-1650v2 will still out perform your consumer level i7.

It will outperform a six core i7? I'd like to see a benchmark on that.

Because it's a consumer based-processer for whatever reason eventually bluescreens when under heavy load for too long.

Any real evidence of that? Sure they are going to claim "more reliable" for the "pro" chips, but documented facts to back up that claim?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Apple lists the six core as 3.5, 3.9 turbo, and 12MB cache, which is exactly what the 1650 has. The 2643 is 3.5, 3.8, and 25MB cache, so that rules it out. Plus there's no point in them using a chip that's more expensive in a single cpu configuration.

Yup, I missed that you are right.

I guess you missed the link earlier in the thread, there is an eight core E5-1680V2. Expensive, but it exists.
http://ark.intel.com/products/77912/

Based on your logic above, why would they spend so much extra money to get it and then use a different architecture for the 12-core. That would be way to expensive for them and the consumer.

It will outperform a six core i7? I'd like to see a benchmark on that.

Was taking specifically about i7 4770. What haswell 6-core are you talking about? Didn't realize they released one unless you are taking about the older one (don't remember the proc). And if you are talking extreme processors those actually venture into xeon architecture to begin with and have xeon costs except they don't use ecc memory.

Any real evidence of that? Sure they are going to claim "more reliable" for the "pro" chips, but documented facts to back up that claim?

Other than my own personal experience and experience of others, no. Very difficult to create a benchmark for something like that as home-builders will scream "you built it wrong" or it could be windows, drivers, etc. thousand excuses yet I don't see these problems with real workstations.

But I'm thinking go into any corporation and ask why they aren't using cheaper consumer i7's if reliability is not an issue?

My work, reboots and data loss is a catastrophe. I wouldn't trust it on a home-built PC that has motherboards with "sabertooth black edition" written on them or memory with bright red heat sinks. There is a reason most manufactures of boards design them this way. The target audience really is for gamers. My opinion is that gamers are the last people left that build there own hardware. I just doesn't have time to "deal with it" and rather shell out an extra 2k to not lose time or money. Several lost hours of productivity for rebuilds, reinstalls or driver troubleshooting will cost more than buying one of these.

Everyone's mileage varies and this of course is my opinion.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The 6-core could potentially be a E5-2643V2. There is still a "maybe" about it (although for cost savings, I would agree with you). But when you you get to 8-cores or 12 cores (since they don't come in the e5-1xxx flavor) then there is no question, they have to be 2xxx's. but even the 6 if it's the E5-1650v2 will still out perform your consumer level i7.

I deal with so many virtual machines and I get these questions from people all the time. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy parts and build it yourself. Yes, cheaper and unreliable. Because it's a consumer based-processer for whatever reason eventually bluescreens when under heavy load for too long. This is the reason any type of server does not use consumer-based processors, because reliability is worth the cost.

For gaming, programming, and any type of computer usage outside of the "workstation" definition it's great. If you think it's a waste of money to buy xeon's vs building your own computer, trust me, you are not the target audience that the Mac Pro is designed for (and I don't mean the "pros", I hate that term). What I am talking about, is if you want better monitor(s) then the iMac Mac Pro base for you. If you need more cores, Mac Pro 6-core for you. If you need server-level processing, Mac Pro 8-core+ for you. ALL assuming you are on OSX and just don't have the time to tinker with getting hackintoshes up and running.
You're preaching to the choir, mate. I am not the one who thinks Xeons and ECC RAM are a waste. I get frustrated with people that do and then try to compare prices to consumer level hardware. We are on the same page! :)

I am correct about the CPU ;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Based on your logic above, why would they spend so much extra money to get it and then use a different architecture for the 12-core.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I was just correcting your comment that there was no eight core version of the E5-16xx.

Was taking specifically about i7 4770. What haswell 6-core are you talking about? Didn't realize they released one unless you are taking about the older one (don't remember the proc).

There are a few six cores, here's the cheapest. $600 isn't cheap but about the same as the equivalent xeon and probably performs about the same. I guess you could quibble over whether a $600 chip is "consumer level".

http://ark.intel.com/products/77780/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

But I'm thinking go into any corporation and ask why they aren't using cheaper consumer i7's if reliability is not an issue?

Plenty of corporations are using i7s.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I was just correcting your comment that there was no eight core version of the E5-16xx.
Not sure about the confusion, that's what I was telling you. But you gave an example of an E5-1XXX and I told you no such thing.

There are a few six cores, here's the cheapest. $600 isn't cheap but about the same as the equivalent xeon and probably performs about the same. I guess you could quibble over whether a $600 chip is "consumer level".

http://ark.intel.com/products/77780/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Now you are just reaching. A consumer level I7 that is clocked lower, has less cache and is faster? Clearly you've made up your mind and should stick to self-built gaming rigs. Not sure what we are arguing about here anymore. You think Apple, and all the other PC builders use Xeon's for workstations, and they are wrong. They should be using consumer I7's because they are better than XEONS. Or should use them because they are cheaper, but apparently the same thing. That's why home-built rigs still exist, for people like you. I'm also thinking you think a GTX is as good as a FirePro and cost less money. They serve different purposes.

I think I, and the rest of the world, that doesn't use the machines for gaming are on the same page as Apple. It's a workstation, not just a computer. If they made it consumer level, dropped the price then it would just eat into the sales of the iMac and pro's would just move on to Windows workstations (By the way, HP Z620 is just beautiful).

I am really glad they are sticking to XEONS. If I wanted a super fast gaming rig, then I would absolutely build one myself and use windows. OSX/OpenGL is still slower than DirectX when it comes to gaming. Otherwise, get an iMac. It has everything you want. An i7 4770, gaming graphics, and regular non-ecc memory (sodimms though).

The Mac Pro... people are going to buy it for the same reason enterprises buy xeon servers instead of building their own servers. There is a reason that we pay so much extra money for XEONS, ECC memory, professional video cards, enterprise-level harddrives, and so on.

------

Come on man... small businesses might be using home-built computers for Quickbooks, Maybe.. I have never seen SAP/SAPB1, Oracle, FourthShift, Great Plains, FRX, or ANY large SQL databases running on any consumer level hardware. If I would start asking IT personel to build home-rigs for all of my clients' servers, I think I would lose my business and be out of a job. That's like putting a WD green hard drive into a high-availability server because it's cheaper and performs just as good as a SAS drive. You can, but you will be fired within a month when that thing fails and the best you can come up with "it's the same thing, just cheaper".

I think the Mac Pro will not have high sales. I think it's sales will be really low, just like HP's and Dell's workstations are low. They cost a lot of money, and the general consumer just can't justify the cost. Those that can, do, and will buy them. Those that can't will stick with inspirons, mac mini's, imacs, and home-built rigs, if they need a little boost in performance.

By the way, this is coming from a guy that has built his own PC's since 486's in the 90's. Also made the mistake of using consumer-level hardware for a company early in my career. You try, you learn, you move on. I don't need any fact-sheets to tell me otherwise.

----------

You're preaching to the choir, mate. I am not the one who thinks Xeons and ECC RAM are a waste. I get frustrated with people that do and then try to compare prices to consumer level hardware. We are on the same page! :)

I am correct about the CPU ;)

I know. I love Mac Rumors and sometimes have an itch to argue. But now I'm just getting frustrated and kind of done trying to prove that there is a difference between enterprise and consumer hardware outside of price and a specsheet that shows a difference in clock speed.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Not sure about the confusion, that's what I was telling you. But you gave an example of an E5-1XXX and I told you no such thing.

I'm still confused. You said...

But when you you get to 8-cores or 12 cores (since they don't come in the e5-1xxx flavor) then there is no question, they have to be 2xxx's.

That sure sounds like you're saying there's no eight core e5-1xxx chip. Which there is, the E5-1680V2.

Clearly you've made up your mind and should stick to self-built gaming rigs.

I've "made up my mind", about what? And I'm not sure why you keep going on about "self built" and "gaming" since I haven't mentioned either in this thread. It seems that you really are confused about what is being discussed.

You think Apple, and all the other PC builders use Xeon's for workstations, and they are wrong. They should be using consumer I7's because they are better than XEONS.

Nope, never said anything remotely like that. Mainly I've just been correcting things like that there was no eight core 1xxx xeon, or that there was no six core version of the latest i7s.

I actually think it's just fine that apple is using xeon over i7. I don't share your view that the i7s are vastly inferior or unreliable or unsuitable for real work, but whatever.

home-built rigs

Again, why?

I'm also thinking you think a GTX is as good as a FirePro and cost less money.

First off, you need to stop assuming what other people are thinking. What I have said about the video cards is that my applications don't take advantage of them and I wish I had a version of the MP available that had lower end (or single) GPU instead of boosting the cost and making me spend cash on things that won't benefit me.

Nope, no gaming here, not sure why you keep talking about it.

The Mac Pro... people are going to buy it for the same reason enterprises buy xeon servers instead of building their own servers.

Personally the main reason I use it because it's the only way to buy a mac that has more than four cores. Which will again be the case when I get my next MP.

home-built computers

?

I said nothing about "home built", just about i7. You don't think businesses are using i7 machines (and no, not "home built", either various macs or Dell, HP, whatever)? Not to mention all the laptops, there aren't any xeon versions available for those, are there? Is all the work doing on every laptop "unreliable"?

I have never seen SAP/SAPB1, Oracle, FourthShift, Great Plains, FRX, or ANY large SQL databases running on any consumer level hardware.

Servers, sure. But at a business, a xeon machine on every user's desk? Not to mention all the businesses that have users who run nothing more than Office. Heck, there are tons of business users who don't even need i7 and are on i5 or i3. Or still on even older cpus.

home-rigs for all of my clients' servers

?

??

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I'm still confused. You said...

That sure sounds like you're saying there's no eight core e5-1xxx chip. Which there is, the E5-1680V2.

I've "made up my mind", about what? And I'm not sure why you keep going on about "self built" and "gaming" since I haven't mentioned either in this thread. It seems that you really are confused about what is being discussed.

Nope, never said anything remotely like that. Mainly I've just been correcting things like that there was no eight core 1xxx xeon, or that there was no six core version of the latest i7s.

I actually think it's just fine that apple is using xeon over i7. I don't share your view that the i7s are vastly inferior or unreliable or unsuitable for real work, but whatever.

Again, why?

First off, you need to stop assuming what other people are thinking. What I have said about the video cards is that my applications don't take advantage of them and I wish I had a version of the MP available that had lower end (or single) GPU instead of boosting the cost and making me spend cash on things that won't benefit me.

Nope, no gaming here, not sure why you keep talking about it.

Personally the main reason I use it because it's the only way to buy a mac that has more than four cores. Which will again be the case when I get my next MP.

?

I said nothing about "home built", just about i7. You don't think businesses are using i7 machines (and no, not "home built", either various macs or Dell, HP, whatever)? Not to mention all the laptops, there aren't any xeon versions available for those, are there? Is all the work doing on every laptop "unreliable"?

Servers, sure. But at a business, a xeon machine on every user's desk? Not to mention all the businesses that have users who run nothing more than Office. Heck, there are tons of business users who don't even need i7 and are on i5 or i3. Or still on even older cpus.

?

??

Yeah, we are talking about different things. For businesses, I was talking about servers, and workstations for high-end performance stuff. Not general employees. And I was just arguing that there is a need for Xeons and there is a need for I7's. All I was arguing is that for the Mac Pro, XEON is the way to go. I was also arguing that reliability-wise, Xeon's do beat i7's. Maybe not on specsheets, but for anything high-availability (which is why I mention servers).

Not sure how this conversation escalated to where it's at. Sounds like we are both on the same page, just expressing it differently. Sorry for the confusion.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, we are talking about different things. For businesses, I was talking about servers, and workstations for high-end performance stuff. Not general employees. And I was just arguing that there is a need for Xeons and there is a need for I7's. All I was arguing is that for the Mac Pro, XEON is the way to go. I was also arguing that reliability-wise, Xeon's do beat i7's. Maybe not on specsheets, but for anything high-availability (which is why I mention servers).

Thanks for the clarification, much of that confusion could have been avoided if you had said servers instead of just making open ended generalizations about corporations.

Nowadays there are many users doing at least some of the "high end performance stuff" on iMacs and minis. And for running "workstation" apps as opposed to a server that's getting hammered 24/7, it doesn't seem like there are any reliability issues in the real world use. It's not like i7 users are getting lots of crashes while running the same app on xeon never crashes. I still think the quad configuration of the MP is of questionable advantage for the price compared to a high end quad iMac, unless the apps specifically take advantage of GPU, or other features of the machine like TB2 are really required. Not that there's anything wrong with the MP, just that I think that if someone is going to get it, the logical choice seems to be six cores or more.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Thanks for the clarification, much of that confusion could have been avoided if you had said servers instead of just making open ended generalizations about corporations.

Nowadays there are many users doing at least some of the "high end performance stuff" on iMacs and minis. And I still think the quad configuration of the MP is of questionable advantage for the price compared to a high end quad iMac, unless the apps specifically take advantage of GPU, or other features of the machine like TB2 are really required. Not that there's anything wrong with the MP, just that I think that if someone is going to get it, the logical choice seems to be six cores or more.

With the quad core I agree. I'm thinking they did that, so they won't say start price of mac pro is 4k. Immediately put everyone off. Or maybe not, not sure. Maybe they need an iMac-like computer but with their own monitors.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
With the quad core I agree. I'm thinking they did that, so they won't say start price of mac pro is 4k. Immediately put everyone off. Or maybe not, not sure. Maybe they need an iMac-like computer but with their own monitors.

Looking at the Apple site, the quad core is also listed as upgradable to 6 or more cores, which seems to differ from the iMac path where if you go for the lower cost branch you get no CPU upgrade options. I wonder whether the quad core MP path will permit adding more cores while keeping the lower-end (comparatively) video cards, allowing one to fine tune whether one needs to pump money into CPU rather than GPU.

Just speculation on my part. I know I would never settle for quad core in my line of work, render cores are everything and GPU is much less important. If quad were sufficient I would probably be looking at the iMac, as suggested above.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Looking at the Apple site, the quad core is also listed as upgradable to 6 or more cores, which seems to differ from the iMac path where if you go for the lower cost branch you get no CPU upgrade options. I wonder whether the quad core MP path will permit adding more cores while keeping the lower-end (comparatively) video cards, allowing one to fine tune whether one needs to pump money into CPU rather than GPU.

Just speculation on my part. I know I would never settle for quad core in my line of work, render cores are everything and GPU is much less important. If quad were sufficient I would probably be looking at the iMac, as suggested above.

I think it will be just like the rMBP's right now. You can select the lower-end and will have some options to upgrade (cpu, maybe even video cards). Then next tier already comes with an upgraded processor and video card, but other higher upgrade options. So if you just need a six-core but don't care about everything else, I think that might be doable.. But like you, speculating based on their choices right now.

TRES-FLASH

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
I don't want to come across as the "typical Apple apologist", but I do sometimes wonder if my fellow Europeans live on the same continent as I do.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but we pay more for pretty much everything when compared to the US, so I don't really get the rage and shock on these forums whenever Apple releases any new products.

Yeah I have often thought the same. A standard mac pro before making any upgrades can cost enough over here to validate me buying a flight to New Hampshire to see some friends for a week, maybe do a bit of snowboarding and then head to buy a tax free Mac Pro, stick it in my carry on luggage for the journey back!

I think with country cost differences its about £800 in my pocket, i figure with the upgrades i'll be looking at more of a price difference only making the idea sound more tempting!

I could never imagine doing it with the old Mac Pro but now this one it 5Kg and 9"x5" it will fit in my back pack with a bottle of duty free rum.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah I have often thought the same. A standard mac pro before making any upgrades can cost enough over here to validate me buying a flight to New Hampshire to see some friends for a week, maybe do a bit of snowboarding and then head to buy a tax free Mac Pro, stick it in my carry on luggage for the journey back!

I think with country cost differences its about £800 in my pocket, i figure with the upgrades i'll be looking at more of a price difference only making the idea sound more tempting!

I could never imagine doing it with the old Mac Pro but now this one it 5Kg and 9"x5" it will fit in my back pack with a bottle of duty free rum.

If I wasn't worried about warranty implications I'd do it.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I'm also thinking you think a GTX is as good as a FirePro and cost less money. They serve different purposes.

Well, that's the point.. a high-end GTX may be MUCH more capable than the FirePros that Apple is going to use.

Regarding gaming... it's really a non-issue here, as the only serious gaming on a Mac is Blizzard products (who, me?) and they will pretty much run well on any modern video card with 2GB of RAM or better.

The real issue is who is the target audience of these MacPros?

Those who need corporate workstations - Not sure, due to form-factor and I/O changes.

Those who need rendering stations - most likely fit, IF their software takes advantage of the new video cards.

Those who need video workstations - possible, but a potential high cost in buying new peripherals due to the I/O changes.

Those who need audio workstations - maybe.. these folks seem cranky.

Those who need photo editing workstations - iffy.. until we see specs from the new video cards. (Note here... the "pros" who can buy a new 27" iMac every year for this task don't need the MacPro, but those who have to have their system last more than 2 years really would like the MacPro...)

So.. what's the real audience for this new MacPro? Seems that they would have made a lot more folks happy with some options of the video cards.

But I'm still of the firm opinion that these are going to slip and slip to at least March...

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
Those who need rendering stations - most likely fit, IF their software takes advantage of the new video cards.

My 3D software does CPU rendering so the number (and speed) of cores is paramount. I care very little for the GPUs coming out; I intend (if possible) to spec a machine with as many cores as I can afford and the lowest-end video cards.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Well, that's the point.. a high-end GTX may be MUCH more capable than the FirePros that Apple is going to use.

Depends what you do. For graphics performance sure, for rendering, not so much.

Regarding gaming... it's really a non-issue here, as the only serious gaming on a Mac is Blizzard products (who, me?) and they will pretty much run well on any modern video card with 2GB of RAM or better.

I'll give you that. I play WoW on iMac and it's fine. However, buying a Mac Pro to play games, isn't really smart.

The real issue is who is the target audience of these MacPros?

Those who need corporate workstations - Not sure, due to form-factor and I/O changes.

Why do you think this? The expandability is great now. You can have so many drives, all daisy chained, it's actually a plus for both form factor and I/O Changes

Most do, but from what I understand, nvideo would have been a better choice. Still not GTX's, but their pro cards.

Those who need video workstations - possible, but a potential high cost in buying new peripherals due to the I/O changes.

TB is going to stay whether people like it or not. There are people that are still holding on to their CDROMS and are mad that laptops, etc, no longer have them. I agree with the higher cost to replace current equipment, but I can argue why replace their old Mac Pro's if they are ok with current equipment/computers. Needs grow, so standards have to catch up.

Those who need audio workstations - maybe.. these folks seem cranky.

True

Those who need photo editing workstations - iffy.. until we see specs from the new video cards. (Note here... the "pros" who can buy a new 27" iMac every year for this task don't need the MacPro, but those who have to have their system last more than 2 years really would like the MacPro...)

I need it for the cores. I love OSX, but I need more than a consumer quad core processor. Min 8cores.

So.. what's the real audience for this new MacPro? Seems that they would have made a lot more folks happy with some options of the video cards.

Any one who needs a more powerful system than the iMac

But I'm still of the firm opinion that these are going to slip
and slip to at least March...

Yeah, I'm afraid of this. My Mac is slowing down because I can longer expand it. I have a feeling they will allow orders on December, but will have ship dates next year. Maybe not as far as March, but Jan for sure. I also think, because the audience for all this is small they won't stock up on standard models. I figured some, maybe even most, people will do a BTO.

See there are tons of threads on MacRumors with people arguing both sides. Is it more expandable, less expandable... Really depends where TB goes. Video cards aren't replaceable, but who cares. For the first 3 years of the Mac Pro there were no video cards that worked with it anyway. It wasn't until 2013 that nvidia created a card that works with the Mac Pro. So I'm not sure why people are so stuck up on having the ability to change video cards. Technically couldn't do it before, and can't do it now.

----------

My 3D software does CPU rendering so the number (and speed) of cores is paramount. I care very little for the GPUs coming out; I intend (if possible) to spec a machine with as many cores as I can afford and the lowest-end video cards.

Same here actually. But driving a 4k screen is nice, but I think the standard low-end cards will do that.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
...driving a 4k screen is nice, but I think the standard low-end cards will do that.

Yeah, I'm given to understand the base D300 cards will still handle up to three 4K monitors. At the current pace of business growth for my studio it will be at least another year before I'm ready to commit that much capital to such monitors, though it's still nice to know that if/when the time comes I'll have the gear to drive them.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Well.. as we wait.. and wait... been thinking over what I need out of a MacPro..

Graphics - enough horsepower to blaze through D800 raw files in Lightroom/Photoshop
CPU - enough horsepower to handle the above as well
MB/Memory - enough throughput to be able to multitask again
Longevity - beefy enough and upgradeable enough to be able to last at least 5 years

So the contenders are:

Self-built PC: Can meet all the above for $2500-$3000, possibly get better graphics, but have to deal with Windows, and would be forced to chain myself to Adobe CC sub

iMac: $2700, passable on the graphics, but likely fails on the longevity, concerned about screen failures

MacbookPro: $2700, fails on the graphics

Hackintosh: $2000-$2500, passable with an i7, potentially better graphics, but is always one kernel update away from doom

MacPro: likely not as good graphics as the PC, but likely is the most robust system, with the potential concern of not being able to update the graphics cards in 3-4 years.

So... really comes down to the graphics cards. Will need to wait and see what those are capable of, and what the real-world results are.

If they had just put the graphics chips in the high-end iMac in the MacbookPro, I probably would have bought that already...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.