Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
No dice still here in the UK.

6pan5.jpg

Still seeing this in uk :mad:

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Where are you getting the $1000 for an OS? I paid $29.99 for Lion... Since when is the hardware free?

The OS standalone is cheap, but can't you see how the low price is subsidized by the high price you pay for the hardware?

A friend of mine put it perfectly a few years ago.
If you were shopping for a refrigerator and their were two to chose from;

#1, cheaper, but were told you had to spend X amount of money a year to maintain it and will most likely be out dated within the month(PC).

or

#2, pay more, built with quality and last longer - owes you no money when you upgrade next(Mac)

Which would you buy? You would buy #2. Apple builds high quality computers and products. I am more than happy to pay a 'premium' for a Mercedes-like computer over a cheap Toyota. Either buy a Mac or buy a PC. Up to you. But IMO, I'll pay the extra for something I can rely on.

PC's are out dated within a month, Macs are basically out dated at launch.
If Macs are so reliable and durable, why is there AppleCare?, it should be pointless.
The fact is, Apple by default wont even guarantee that your Mac will last more than one year, unlike other PC manufacturers like Asus that has a two year warranty. Not until you pay Apple an additional 2-3 hundred dollars will they give you the promise that the Mac will last at least three years.
My previous PC was a Windows PC, I had it for almost 4 years and didn't have to spend a cent "maintaining" it.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
works on my iPad 2 which does not have siri (theres a mic icon next to the search bar in chrome)

and it certainly works a LOT better than siri on my iPhone 4S

Found it. Thought it was dictation. But it is just search.

chompop

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Voice search accuracy is very impressive. Especially for a non native English speaker like me. :)

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
You don't even need that. Right now, I have this site, my gmail, Ars Technica, and Rock Paper Shotgun open in Chrome on my desktop. When you create a new tab, go to the "other devices" menu at the bottom, and boom! There they are, all my desktop browser tabs, available to choose from in one spot.

It's not as immediate as pushing a link, but it still works great.

Thats true but if I just want to send a link to view later on it does work pretty well.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Whenever I try to load a thread from Forum Spy, it says about:blank and never loads. Anyone else having the problem I'm having?

7462781202_a33113a678.jpg

I noticed that Chrome on Mac does that, but loads it after a second

7462801120_87c936e9fe.jpg

Other than that problem, Chrome for iOS is great!

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
was excited about google drive (been using documents to go with limited success) until I realized that it's read only. i hope they will add editing capabilities similar to that on the android app.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Got it from the US store, got a feeling this is being pulled and wasn't meant to make it through.

Edit:

Downvoted by either:

A) trained chimps who are in the UK and annoyed they don't have it yet.
B) trained chimps who are annoyed a UK person has dared to use a US account.

Idiots.

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This has replaced Safari on my dock.

They've implemented it so well considering the limitations of a 3.5" screen.

I hope that Apple can:

a) Put some sort of default system in iOS.
b) Sort out some of the limitations of the UIWebView API to enable more of the features that can't be done right now.

Note: I copied and pasted the App Store link into Safari on my iPhone (in the UK) to download it.

andyplace

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Sunspider

Sunspider Javascript performance test:

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1:

Chrome for iOS: 9038.7 ms
Mobile Safari: 2235.0 ms

Safari performs 4X faster.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Sunspider Javascript performance test:

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1:

Chrome for iOS: 9038.7 ms
Mobile Safari: 2235.0 ms

Safari performs 4X faster.

Of course it does. Third party browsers don't have access to the same engines as Mobile Safari. But some things are more important (to me at least) like tab syncing across devices.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Downloaded and using it on my iPhone 4 in the UK. Great browser. Unfortunately it won't be fast like the real Chrome but we're getting many great features.

Perhaps this might pull Apple's head out of its ass when it comes to making simple improvement to their stock apps. Safari needs big changes. Not just tab syncing and full screen in landscape (ONLY).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.