Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
2011 Google Music
2013 iTunes Radio

Shameless

How about we all grow up and stop acting like silly kids? It's called competition. Look it up.

Not quite the same, if it had read:

Google Music
Apple Music

I could understand your comparison!

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Appstore wasn't a word before Apple. Newsstand was. Big difference.

This is simply incorrect. Just in the 2000's alone, Palm beat them.

1229407680.gif

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Also, I don't remember the fanboys going nuts when Apple (very poorly, mind you) copied Google into the Maps business.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
And that was stupid.

Except it's the best name for it.

Seriously, stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Wow, you are Simon Cowell of product name isn't it? You single handedly know that Newsstand is somehow the best name for such product?

Google picked Newsstand not because it's the best name, but it's what Android fanboys would've wanted. Pick a name that would generate a smart aleck response from Android fans such as yourself while riling up Apple fanboys yelling "copycat", generating free PR.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
they can call it what they want but this is Google so the support will be crap, it will share your data with companies and they will probably still drop support in 6 months.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I don't see the relevance of your post to mine. I was saying it was stupid that they were upset about somebody else calling something an App Store. What does your post have to do with that?

Sorry the post previous to that one on page 1 with regards to singing from the same hymn sheet.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
What a filthy, horrible company Google is. I hope they don't release it on iOS, we don't need that copied crap here. Call me a fan boy, but this is just blatant.

They will because that's how they'll hurt Apple. Apple won't put any of their stuff on Google Play.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Wow, you are Simon Cowell of product name isn't it? You single handedly know that Newsstand is somehow the best name for such product?

Google picked Newsstand not because it's the best name, but it's what Android fanboys would've wanted. Pick a name that would generate a smart aleck response from Android fans such as yourself while riling up Apple fanboys yelling "copycat", generating free PR.

This is how I read this post:

aliens-meme-image.jpeg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry the post previous to that one on page 1 with regards to singing from the same hymn sheet.

No problem then.

Better than what most people would do here and get angry.

MY HATS OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR MATURITY.

Not being sarcastic, I'm serious. Mature people are a minority these days.

But I'm sure they'll say that it was the best name.

----------

Yep, totally.

Or they used a real life thing that had the same function (like Apple did, amazing isn't it?)

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
But I'm sure they'll say that it was the best name.

Just like calling it "Maps", Newsstand is likely the best name, and Apple definitely doesn't have any right to exclusivity of that name. I have no issue with it, in regards to either company's actions.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just like calling it "Maps", Newsstand is likely the best name, and Apple definitely doesn't have any right to exclusivity of that name. I have no issue with it, in regards to either company's actions.

No, no, we can't say Newsstand is the best name.

I mean ... that might mean they used it for another reason that isn't to copy Apple.

I wonder though. If we can't say it's the best name, why did Apple use it?

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
No, no, we can't say Newsstand is the best name.

I mean ... that might mean they used it for another reason that isn't to copy Apple.

I wonder though. If we can't say it's the best name, why did Apple use it?

It's what Steve would have done?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Not quite the same, if it had read:

Google Music
Apple Music

I could understand your comparison!

You've not used Google music have you.

If that one does't suit you, throw in Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc.

Then take Google Maps > Apple Maps.

My point, was to highlight the complete stupidity of nearly every post on page 1, where people are slagging Google off just because they aren't Apple. It's pathetic.

Everyone copies each other - Apple is no exception.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Google Schmoogle...

If Google wanted to use Appstore without copying Apple's same name, saying it was generic, then they should only be allowed to use "app store". No caps and they wouldn't be allowed to combine them. Same with Newsstand. They should only be allowed to use "news stand".

Copy caters...... Geeze. Come up with something original on your own for once. Same goes with Samsung.

:) :) :) :)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Apple copied Barnes & Noble then.

Huh. Did I miss something? When did Apple open a physical newsstand?

Or did they not actually ever do that and you're trying to draw a parallel between a physical newsstand and software which would only make sense to someone who doesn't actually understand the whole trademark concept.

It's pretty simple. If software called Newsstand that delivers periodicals electronically exists, you can't create your own software that delivers periodicals electronically and also call it Newsstand.

Is that really so hard for people to understand or am I just some kind of genius? (I'd love for it to be the latter, but it's probably the former.)

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Huh. Did I miss something? When did Apple open a physical newsstand?

Or did they not actually ever do that and you're trying to draw a parallel between a physical newsstand and software which would only make sense to someone who doesn't actually understand the whole trademark concept.

It's pretty simple. If software called Newsstand that delivers periodicals electronically exists, you can't create your own software that delivers periodicals electronically and also call it Newsstand.

Is that really so hard for people to understand or am I just some kind of genius? (I'd love for it to be the latter, but it's probably the former.)

Any form of Newsstand that sells publications is not subject to exclusivity or able to be trademarked by one firm. That's like Dole trademarking the term "banana".

EDIT: Barnes & Noble doesn't have the term Newsstand trademarked in the physical form, so why should Apple be allowed exclusivity in the digital form?

Generic names won't win many trademark battles.

Renzatic

Suspended
Any form of Newsstand that sells publications is not subject to exclusivity or able to be trademarked by one firm. That's like Dole trademarking the term "banana".

EDIT: Barnes & Noble doesn't have the term Newsstand trademarked in the physical form, so why should Apple be allowed exclusivity in the digital form?

Generic names won't win many trademark battles.

Everyone knows what a news stand is. It's a stand that sells magazines and newspapers. They've been around since at least the late 19th century. But a news stand on a computer :jazz hands:? That's something entirely new. Something never done before.

It's common knowledge that if you take something that's been done a thousand times before and do it again on a computer :jazz hands:, it instantly becomes a stunning innovation, and you're granted exclusive rights to all terms and concepts pertaining to it.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Everyone knows what a news stand is. It's a stand that sells magazines and newspapers. They've been around since at least the late 19th century. But a news stand on a computer :jazz hands:? That's something entirely new. Something never done before.

It's common knowledge that if you take something that's been done a thousand times before and do it again on a computer :jazz hands:, it instantly becomes a stunning innovation, and you're granted exclusive rights to all terms and concepts pertaining to it.

It serves the same function. The medium is irrelevant when the function is identical.

EDIT: Maps is not a trademarked name, despite the fact that the tech moved from paper to digital form. Same concept with Newsstand.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.